PDA

View Full Version : What can be done to run FGU faster for GM host (ultimate) and demo clients?

*Neuro*
April 27th, 2021, 10:46
So yesterday I had a game with my RL friends.

Complete disaster.

About one hundred shared images since 2016 (just moved from FGC to FGU), we had a battle map size 1,8mb with LOS, about 50 foes on CT and 7 friendlies on CT, total 5 players connected (level 14 5e characters), motte's custom theme, and many add ons in modules and extensions (Rob2e, Mattekure, Mad Nomad, Critically Awesome etc.)

The game was simply unplayable, we played like half hour over the 3 scheduled, with players complaining lagging etc.

So this morning I decided the to cut most of this stuff. Soon I will see what will happen.

I unshared all the images, resized battlemap from 1,8mb to 180kb (seems minecraft map now), 20 foes on CT, light grey theme that should be the lightest on FGU (277kb), deactivated or removed all the modules and extensions we will not use.

What else I can do?

Is there a list of things we should avoid doing with FGU?

What we can do to keep the game playable? and light?

You can understand that preparing for sessions and then playing 1 hour over 3 due to LAG is not what I expected.

NEVER had these issues with FG Classic. And now I cannot go back for sure (and I don't want to).

Temmpest
April 27th, 2021, 10:50
My solution was to buy a gaming computer. Solved all the lag problems.

*Neuro*
April 27th, 2021, 10:53
My solution was to buy a gaming computer. Solved all the lag problems.

I have a very optimized computer suitable for gaming, I can play any heavy duty game with highest quality graphics.

But not all my players have these computers. Will this also affect them? I thought it could be only connections DSL speed issues, not quality of hardware of my players...

damned
April 27th, 2021, 12:13
Things you can do to optimise play right now -

1. Dont go overboard on the LoS points. Less points is better.
2. Dont use Dynamic Lighting. If you do - limit the number of light sources.
3. Dont use big, big maps.
4. As player dont set map to background/desktop.
5. As player type in chat /vsync 4 - can also try 2 or 3 for better smoothness but more cpu/gpu
6. Dont have too many actors in the Combat Tracker at once. Big battles cause things to really slow down.

*Neuro*
April 27th, 2021, 13:25
Thank you for replies, I will apply these on the next game.

What about vsync? do you advice to keep it at 0? I suppose ZERO is the standard.

Maybe I can let my players try higher values of vsyinc, maybe 4?

Important is that I know which is the default vsyinc, I suppose 0.

damned
April 27th, 2021, 13:35
0 = 60fps
1 = o/s frame rate
2 = o/s frame rate / 2
3 = o/s frame rate / 3
4 = o/s frame rate / 4

its not a first person shooter so lower fps is not generally an issue

Zarestia
April 27th, 2021, 13:36
These are the vsync settings:

/vsync = shows configuration
/vsync 0 = 60 fps
/vsync 1 = OS defined frame rate for monitor (default)
/vsync 2 = 1/2 OS frame rate
/vsync 3 = 1/3 OS frame rate
/vsync 4 = 1/4 OS frame rate

From experience I would guess that your 50 CT actors are probalby the biggest problem (if they're also on the map). Furthermore check that your extensions are all up to date.

EDIT: was a minute late :D

JohnD
April 27th, 2021, 15:24
One step forward, three steps back currently in some instances. Hopefully things get optimized sooner rather than later.

*Neuro*
April 27th, 2021, 15:30
One step forward, three steps back currently in some instances. Hopefully things get optimized sooner rather than later.

Imagine my position as GM of my friends' characters.

I am owner of FGC Ultimate since 2016 and we are playing since then with Ultimated FGC+ Demos FGC. We just passed last week to FGU Ultimate + Demos after me having sponsored heavily this "migration".

And this is the result, so what players see is that FGC was stable, FGU is laggy. This is what they see.

It will take time before they will judge FGU better than FGC.

Also I noticed that FGC runs on mostly everything while with FGU you need to have an eye on the hardware you are using to play or play/GM.

I hope it will get better as there is no turning back to classic for sure.

This said in other games AL both as GM and players I never had any issues, so far.

Yesterday I had mostly 2 players lagging, and other 2 no. And one average. Maybe quality of hardware running FGU is also affecting.

Also we noticed you must have updated OS, otherwise you will get into trouble.

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2021, 16:03
Though mentioned before, I will re-iterate, don't use map background mode at the moment unless you resize the FG window after doing so. There is a current known issue that impacts performance. Also I will re-iterate, limit the number of LOS nodes.

Also, turn off token movement locking.

Klandare
April 27th, 2021, 16:31
Though mentioned before, I will re-iterate, don't use map background mode at the moment unless you resize the FG window after doing so. There is a current known issue that impacts performance. Also I will re-iterate, limit the number of LOS nodes.

Also, turn off token movement locking.

why is token movement locking an issue? I would not want my players to have free reign of movement on the map; especially during an actual fight.

*Neuro*
April 27th, 2021, 16:33
why is token movement locking an issue? I would not want my players to have free reign of movement on the map; especially during an actual fight.

I agree with you on one thing: LOS maps require a certain degree of token lock, otherwise secrets could be easily spoiled. Anyway if unlocking tokens helps I will unlock once in a while advising my players not move freely around.

I did not know that token lock affected performances

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2021, 18:51
Because I believe it is currently bugged and will be fixed when lightning is released.

Griogre
April 27th, 2021, 19:22
On the vsync settings you and your players will likely have different optimal setting based on the individual's hardware - if you have a gaming rig then you probably don't need it. Have them try 0, 2, 3, 4 to see if it matters. The biggest component of lag is data flow, normally. The biggest thing you usually transfer is image data - this is why smaller map images usually are better all around.

Griogre
April 27th, 2021, 19:23
I don't think token lock is a problem in live? It's the background images.

Khoredran
April 28th, 2021, 00:10
For players with Nvidia graphic cards, make sure that the setting in the Configuration Panel is set on: Let the 3D app decide.
If you don't and it's set to Use Advanced 3D image settings; you WILL experience lag because the graphic card will try to boost the FPS to its maximum value.
Some complained about 356 FPS and using almost 100% GPU. Using /vsync in that situation was not helping because the graphic card setting was overriding any changes in the software itself.