PDA

View Full Version : Free modules - competition

liberti_cap
July 17th, 2007, 17:23
Hey,

I'm new to FG, in fact i haven't even managed to play my first game yet. However, as a D&D player (as well as numerous other RPGs) spanning back longer than i would care to recall, I have had a few thoughts.

Being new to all this, I can't help but notice a certain lack of resources for newbies, such as ready to run adventures - so that people can get a feel for running and playing games before having to create there own stuff.

Now since people here are pretty concerned about copyrights and other such law-abiding practices, I was wondering why FG hasn't started a module competition/rating system to encourage designers to submit their own original work for the use of the community.

As much 'fun' as converting pre-made modules into computer-based adventures I'm sure can be - the art of conceiving, designing and crafting original material is surely what being a DM is all about.

I propose that we create an environment that rewards the originality, creativity and generosity of the role playing community that we are a part of (not to mention the competitiveness of all us 'players of games').

Anyway, how about it?

Toadwart
July 17th, 2007, 21:46
Nice idea :D

There seems to be more game systems these days than actual adventures to run in them.

SirJoe
July 18th, 2007, 02:45
Expanding on this idea, the folks at SmiteWorks could use this to get more acceptance of their product. What they could do is:

1. Create a forum (or forum thread) for people to upload their adventures (build around the standard SRD to avoid any copyright issues.)

2. Encourage members to download and run these adventures, then have two voting sections: one for GMs and the other for players.

3. Every couple of months (say every three months) the most popular adventures in both the GM and players categories would be announced. The memebrs who postde said adventures would receive two new FG2 player licenses (which they can give to their other gaming buddies, and thus create even MORE interest in the product!)

Digital Adventures could also get into the act by sponsoring prizes of token sets, etc. It may also be a great way for these folks to secure the rights to new tallent, or even new products on commission.

I'd certainly be happy to enter adventures into such a program. I already purchased 3 additional copies (1 full and 2 player) of FG for my buddies, so clearly getting additional licenses is attractive for some of us.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,
JS

Sigurd
July 18th, 2007, 03:00
They don't host attachments and they have no user download space.

They would have to increase their website spending.

Sigurd

Who thinks its a good idea.

VenomousFiligree
July 18th, 2007, 06:36

RPG Virtual Tabletop (https://www.rpgvirtualtabletop.com/index.html) could help here :)

And why limit it to just Fantasy Grounds, there's a lot of good community talent out there that support other VTs?

:)
MB

Sigurd
July 18th, 2007, 07:28
By all means no limits should be imposed for hosting or uploading or artistic support. The more the better.

The unique position for Smite Works though is that as they support and encourage users they make more sales. I guess other companies might be able to get advertising revenue from the traffic but they don't stand to gain as much potentially as Smite Works.

Sigurd

liberti_cap
July 18th, 2007, 14:38
There would be a number of ways to get around download issues - perhaps by using a 3rd party website like download.com to host all the bandwidth.

Otherwise I sure that enough advertising revenue could be created if it was handled appropriately.

SirJoe
July 19th, 2007, 01:34

They would have to increase their website spending.

Sigurd

Who thinks its a good idea.

Are these message boards run by SmiteWorks? If so, they already have everything they need to host the content. As for the extra downloads, I am not sure how much extra bandwidth this would actually add... I guess it all depends upon how popular the competitions become. I can't see them getting 20,000 unique downloads a month... just take a look at the message counters on this site to get an idea of what the actual traffic would be.

As for a good idea... I say EIY-EIY CAPTAIN! :pirate:

Cheers,
JS

Perren
August 30th, 2007, 13:22
I think that wuld be awsome.

phantomwhale
September 11th, 2007, 16:59
+1 - great idea