PDA

View Full Version : L5R Ruleset?

Belizan
July 17th, 2007, 04:36
Anyone working on an L5R ruleset? For that matter, is there even much interest in such?

BlueWolfe
July 17th, 2007, 15:42
I think this would be a great idea. I would be interested in playing/testing etc.

fuleng
July 17th, 2007, 20:30
A L5R ruleset would be very nice. Count me in for testing.

fuleng
August 16th, 2007, 22:39
Because it looks like nobody does a L5R ruleset i started today to try it myself. I promiss that progress will be slow and i probably will do only a nice character sheet. Today i started with the desktop.

fuleng
August 20th, 2007, 19:13
here the first tab of the character sheet

BlueWolfe
August 20th, 2007, 19:42
Looks great keep up the good work.

Sederien
August 22nd, 2007, 15:03
Even though I'm not an L5R player, I'm just going to poke my nose in here to say that the progress thus far looks fantastic!

Great work fuleng. Make sure you release that background/sheet set even if the ruleset doesn't make it in.

fuleng
August 22nd, 2007, 22:39
small update
next tab of the chari sheet

and thank you for the nice words.

FuLeng

fuleng
August 23rd, 2007, 08:13
have to say i got lazy a little bit. the next tabs are kept very simple.

FuLeng

Tokuriku
August 23rd, 2007, 12:49
Me want this soooooooooo badddddddddddddd!!!!!!!! :D

fuleng
August 27th, 2007, 22:11
started work on the npc

Kunsgnos
August 31st, 2007, 04:21
Looks badass. keep up the good work. The D10 system kicks ***.

GoOrange
August 31st, 2007, 13:12
Yes, very impressive. I continue to be in awe of your work.

fuleng
September 1st, 2007, 10:07
Thanks
i am close to release my work. i just wanted to add some general information into a module, but i have problems to create one properly. Also after 2 weeks and 3 mails i still do not have any answer from AEG. i wrote to Shawn Carman. does anybody have an idea to whom i can write to get an OK for the release of my character sheet? I also wanted to change the fonts of my ruleset, but using the FG font creater i just get black boxes where my font should be.
btw what is the newerst version of FG. i have 2 .0.12 and it says there is an update available, but the updater crashes when i start it.

joeru
September 1st, 2007, 11:39
Thanks
i am close to release my work. i just wanted to add some general information into a module, but i have problems to create one properly. Also after 2 weeks and 3 mails i still do not have any answer from AEG. i wrote to Shawn Carman. does anybody have an idea to whom i can write to get an OK for the release of my character sheet? I also wanted to change the fonts of my ruleset, but using the FG font creater i just get black boxes where my font should be.
btw what is the newerst version of FG. i have 2 .0.12 and it says there is an update available, but the updater crashes when i start it.

Good luck on getting a response. I've emailed AEG twice on the subject of a character sheet for 7th Sea without a reply, and it's been several months.

Now, 7th Sea is discontinued and in limbo, and AEG might thus not want to make any decisions that possibly affect its future. Maybe it's different with L5R. Here's hoping.

Sorontar
September 1st, 2007, 12:01
Anyone know what the timeframe is (if there is one) for protecting your intellectual rights?

If these chaps have contacted the company stating what they wish to do is there a set time by which the company have to reply to them or give up their rights?

GoOrange
September 1st, 2007, 14:58
If you are not getting any replies, then consider just releasing it. Most companies wouldn't have problems with it as long as you weren't selling it. (Assuming you are just releasing a character sheet, and not a "rules" section with text on how to play the game).

If they are too busy to reply to an email, they are probably too busy to care about your releasing a character sheet. If, in the future, they did take notice and disapprove (which would be highly unlikely), you can simply stop distributing it at that time.

So, I'm willing to wager you'll get as much response from them after releasing your FG charactersheet as you got from your email query.

In response to Sorontar, I don't believe there is any timeframe. The company is under no obligation to reply whatsoever. If something is released that violates IP rights, the company could at that time take measures against the offenders, which could possibly include a legal suit. That would be an expensive endeavor for the company, would be venturing into somewhat "gray" areas, and is extremely unlikely. Most of the time any disputes get settled amicably with a few letters/emails.

Again, I think the most likely outcome by far would be that the company wouldn't care in the least, or if anything, would be glad to see their game played online.

I really believe that most companies are happy to see their products being used and don't mind fan creations like character sheets. One notable exception would be Palladium, who tend to be paranoid about IP and angered a lot of fans with (IMO largely baseless) cease and desist letters for websites containing fan conversions. Most other companies I know encourage this kind of activity.

Sorontar
September 1st, 2007, 16:18
In response to Sorontar, I don't believe there is any timeframe. The company is under no obligation to reply whatsoever. If something is released that violates IP rights, the company could at that time take measures against the offenders, which could possibly include a legal suit.

I just recall something from Marvel's attempt at suing Cryptic Studios over CoH where they said something about protecting the IP otherwise they would lose the right to them if they didn't do it in a timeframe.

Unless that was specifically TM characters or something, I was too lazy to go looking and just thought I'd pop it in there :D

The less said about Palladium the better I lost interest in them when they put Rifts out with its megadamage, anyway bah humbug, back to Savage Worlds I go ;)

fuleng
September 3rd, 2007, 18:09
added some more while waiting for an answer.
1. tweaked the theme (modifierbox, tokenbox)
2. added exploding die. Actually i borrowed the code from Foen. Thanks to him at this point. it does not work with the animated dice but by typing for example 5x10 for 5 tensider. If you dont want to type you can just use the shortcuts, like i did. it works fine, like you can see in the chatbox with the number 25 on a 10sider.
3. added a very simple combat tracker. you can just fill in the numbers, but at least some way of record keeping
4. surfed the web for free information about the clan and put everything i found (some great links on the official L5R forum) in a simple module.

I think i give AEG some more days to answer. If i dont get a response i will probably delete all the files i created, burn all my L5R books and will never think about such loony things like roleplaying games

fuleng
September 4th, 2007, 22:35
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=48079#post48079

Kunsgnos
August 2nd, 2008, 16:15
Wow I love it. anyone running a campain with this?