PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Crawl Classics RPG Ruleset Coming Soon!

leozelig
April 18th, 2021, 22:44
Hey MCC fans,

I am currently working on a ruleset for MCC RPG (https://goodman-games.com/store/product/mutant-crawl-classics-role-playing-game-2/), and I will update you with my progress in this thread. Feel free to share any comments or suggestions along the way...

Cheers,
Leo

leozelig
April 18th, 2021, 22:51
Here is a look at artifacts, which will use the item record. If you enter 'Artifact' in the Type or the optional Subtype field, all of the possible artifact fields will display (see left side screenshot). When the record is locked, you will only see the fields with data (see right side screenshot).

My plan is for artifact weapons to add to the weapons list and armor to apply the AC bonus. I would say it's looking good so far. It would look even better with Joshua's futuristic theme (https://fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=SWKTHEME_FUTURISTIC)!

Skellan
April 23rd, 2021, 13:05
Fantastic! Good job

leozelig
April 24th, 2021, 11:34
Fantastic! Good job

Thanks! Things are coming along. I have finished mutations and programs, which was a ton of data entry. Here is a look at the wetware program corrosion from the patron AI GAEA. I am moving on to classes next. I hope to finish the ruleset by the end of May, but we'll see how it goes...

leozelig
May 1st, 2021, 16:31
I've been working on classes this week, so here's a look at the sentinel. I replaced the deed die from DCC with the artifact bonus die. Sentinels get a bonus die when examining artifact weapons and armor, and the star button next to the artifact check field in the Technology & Mutations section will add this bonus die result to the artifact check. In the Weapons list, this is also represented by the star button, but it adds the bonus die result to the artifact weapon attack instead (just like the deed die).

Skellan
May 1st, 2021, 16:47
Very cool - nice job. I am looking forward to this rule set

Skellan
May 1st, 2021, 17:39
Are you going to do Lankhmar at some point too?

leozelig
May 1st, 2021, 18:57
Are you going to do Lankhmar at some point too?

Yes, planning to tackle that next. There's a humble bundle (https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Lankhmar) for Lankhmar right now actually.

Skellan
May 1st, 2021, 19:24
Excellent news that Lankhmar will be coming to FG
And thanks for the link - that's a bargain and a worthy cause!

bayne7400
May 2nd, 2021, 23:32
Excellent news that Lankhmar will be coming to FG
And thanks for the link - that's a bargain and a worthy cause!

You really only need an extension to run Lankhmar on the DCC ruleset.

leozelig
May 2nd, 2021, 23:39
True, I expect Lankhmar to run with an extension rather than a full ruleset.

leozelig
May 5th, 2021, 23:12
I'm putting the finishing touches on class drops, and it's going smoothly. Classes with the Natural Attack class feature will automatically create a weapon entry for that attack based on the feature description. The screenshot shows a manimal that I threw together. Next, I am going to see what functionality I can add for artifacts, which range from weapons to armor to utility items. At the very least, I want to add it to the weapon list and adjust AC when appropriate.

Skellan
May 6th, 2021, 07:54
True, I expect Lankhmar to run with an extension rather than a full ruleset.

I like to have the books converted into fantasy grounds too. It makes it so much easier.

Excellent work with MCC :) It looks like it is really coming together :)

leozelig
May 6th, 2021, 10:44
I’m making good progress. I’m saving mutations for last. The data entry is finished (which was a big task), but I’m still trying to figure out how to best organize active and passive mutations and defects. They’re a lot like spells but not exactly. I should be on track for submitting this by the end of the month though. Then it just depends on review turnaround before we see it in the store.

leozelig
May 8th, 2021, 14:48
Something fun for my update today...

leozelig
May 11th, 2021, 12:33
Most of the ruleset is ready to go - just testing everything now. I need to make tokens and create the reference manual. The ref manual formatting always takes some time, but I should still have everything ready by the end of the month. Here is a look at the aether squid's Actions tab...

leozelig
May 15th, 2021, 21:43
Here's a glance at the reference manual. For some reason my images are displaying as white boxes, but other than that, it's pulling together very well.

leozelig
May 16th, 2021, 14:05
I've been making a few more desktop decals. I'm still partial to the gold foil look with the brown leather desktop.

leozelig
May 22nd, 2021, 14:24
I've finished the reference manual for MCC. I haven't figured out why all of my images are blank - perhaps something went wrong crossing the multiverse. If you click the image, it displays properly in the image window, but I will have to figure this one out somehow. I still need to convert the adventure that comes with the core rules, but that shouldn't take longer than a week. Then, some final testing and cleaning up, and I can submit this many-tentacled beast.

Tabarkus
May 22nd, 2021, 23:59
Mutations are rampant! I've never played MCC but looking forward to giving it a try.

Skellan
May 23rd, 2021, 11:10
Yeah, this looks fun

leozelig
May 27th, 2021, 03:03
I'm adding actions for all of the mutations and wetware programs, which is always a huge job because each one has so many possible results. I'm wishing I had the multiple body parts mutation right now so I could grow a few more arms to get through this! I would also settle for the third leg mutation like our friend in the mutation artwork ;)

Tabarkus
May 27th, 2021, 18:23
Is it possible to add custom crit and fumble tables to automatically roll? The new Yearbook has some custom monster fumble and an elemental crit table that are interesting.

leozelig
May 27th, 2021, 18:53
Yes, custom crit and fumble tables are possible and should auto-roll. The table names just need to match and are case-sensitive.

Tabarkus
May 27th, 2021, 19:46
I must be doing something wrong. I titled a custom crit table, "Crit Table EL: Elementals" for elementals but the automation does not read it. I entered EL/d16 on the NPC sheet for the Crit Table/Die.

leozelig
May 27th, 2021, 22:37
You would enter the full table name in the NPC record. The short versions only work for the standard tables (I-V, M, U, etc.). Try this:

Crit Table EL: Elementals/d16

Let me know if that doesn’t work.

Tabarkus
May 28th, 2021, 03:10
That works! Thanks! Bah, noticed I was in the wrong forum.

leozelig
June 3rd, 2021, 21:52
I finally finished entering the action data for mutations/defects. These are the actions that magically appear when you drop a mutation to the Actions tab, which by the way, you are free to modify to suit your individual preferences. Between that and work, the past week has gotten the better of me.

94 mutations * 8 non-failure results per mutation = 752+ actions

I still need to enter the wetware programs, 33 total. I will not make any more bold predictions about when the ruleset will be ready, but progress will speed up again after the action data is finished.

leozelig
June 12th, 2021, 18:01
I finally finished entering the action data! That was more work than the rest of the ruleset combined. Almost 1500 lines of code that look a lot like the 53 lines in the screenshot - not fun. I am converting the adventure to a module, creating a player module for the core rules, and finishing up testing. That might sound like a lot, but it's really not. I plan to run some playtests of the ruleset once it's complete, so hopefully there are some willing adventurers out there in the FG community...

leozelig
June 19th, 2021, 14:42
Well, I'm approaching the landing pad... I need to clean up the reference manual for the adventure and create a player module for the core rules, then package it all up for submission.

Here's a screenshot of line-of-sight for the adventure map that comes with the core rules. I wonder what's in there...

leozelig
June 20th, 2021, 18:27
Just polishing things up now. I should have this submitted by the end of the week. I'm not sure what the turnaround time will be before you see this in the store, but I plan to run some playtest games which will give you a nice preview. I will post in the LFG forum and on the Discord servers for Fantasy Grounds and Goodman Games when I start recruiting players.

Cheers!

leozelig
June 27th, 2021, 01:17
I have been toying with auto-rolling the genotype when the occupation is dropped to the character sheet. It's a bit cumbersome in the chat window, but it does help with setting up languages - ie, manimals and plantients with Int above 7 know those languages at level 0.

I am submitting this to the team at Smiteworks, but feel free to share your opinion on this feature!

leozelig
June 27th, 2021, 18:58
This is what I went with for genotype determination. When you drag an occupation to the Main tab, you will see something like this...

Note: I entered the text in the Appearance field, but the Genotype field auto-populates.

leozelig
June 27th, 2021, 19:05
Also... The secondary tables for mutants, manimals, and plantients roll automatically depending on the genotype result.

ProfDogg
July 31st, 2021, 19:43
Will we be able to play MCC and DCC as a combined game? Or will these be two separate rulesets in which the products (i.e. adventures, etc) won't cross over?

leozelig
July 31st, 2021, 21:49
Eventually, yes. You should be able to import a DCC character and play in the MCC world, but I haven’t quite figured out how to blend the char sheets. I was keeping that compatibility in mind along the way, but I want to get all the MCC bugs worked out first.

ProfDogg
August 4th, 2021, 02:36
Ok, had something interesting happen... I rolled Occupation. Hunter! It rolled the items for me (too kewl)... and then I dragged and dropped the Hunter Occupation and it automatically rolled Genotype without me doing anything further. Feature? Or bug? Or both!?!

leozelig
August 4th, 2021, 12:14
Feature. I set it up to auto-roll genotype because languages are linked to genotype, and I wanted to auto-fill those as well. Let me know if there's anything you don't like about the ruleset - I am always open to changes based on community feedback.

ProfDogg
August 4th, 2021, 12:22
Feature. I set it up to auto-roll genotype because languages are linked to genotype, and I wanted to auto-fill those as well. Let me know if there's anything you don't like about the ruleset - I am always open to changes based on community feedback.

No I like it. In fact, I've never seen such a well detailed ruleset. The way you've got it laid out is perfect. If I do find any legitimate bugs or needed edits, I'll post them though.

leozelig
August 4th, 2021, 12:27
Why thank you! ;)

RunningWolf
August 4th, 2021, 22:24
So this is the one I saw today and instantly had to Phillip J Frye on?

Bought it when I got home today and still haven't farted around with it. Was sayin on the MCC FB group I'd love to find some time to do a "one page dungeon"-type deal with MCC :).

Running some holiday themed games at a Con just before Halloween and want to try to run a few in the last few months of the year on FG here. Robo Santa with Mutant Turkeys baby! I have to go check the ruleset out a bit further.

leozelig
August 4th, 2021, 22:28
Nice! :D

I am catching up with some much-needed maintenance on the DCC Ruleset, but then I hope to run some MCC games on Fantasy Grounds before Lankhmar hits the store.

RunningWolf
August 4th, 2021, 23:25
Way cool sir, will have to keep checking in for those. PA is my favorite genre so I'm like a pig in mud.

I've got half a setting already down on paper, easy enough to bend it enough for MCC. Real Earth places and some blending in Societies from Gamma World, as well as some places being a bit more teched up. Trade ventures a bit like a merchant based Rome are starting to get secure enough in their "local holdings" to start going past the Appalachian Mountains.

leozelig
August 5th, 2021, 00:11
Sounds like some solid third-party publisher material ;)

RunningWolf
August 5th, 2021, 00:28
Sounds like some solid third-party publisher material ;)

If my camera was on I'd take a pic of my hair line. Too many projects at once... but yeah I would like to publish it for a system or two. *In my 'over 50 voice'* Back in my day we didn't have no fancy published settings! I grew up with Chinese Menu System. I would take some stuff from column A some from Column B and build on that.

The setting right now is mechanics neutral. Funny thing is the two system I want to run it under both have very different tones. MCC and Savage Worlds are worlds apart tone wise. The MCC stuff I can keep a little bit more gritty and the SW side would be a bit more cinematic. At least for me the mechanic can make or break a setting. GURPS & MCC settle my dice rolling crunchy side and SW covers my swingy side like an old Buck Rogers adventure :).

I think we may be sue for a snowy winter this year, it was an easy one last year. Snowed in means two or three cats camping on my lap and me typing.

Developed the same campaign in two settings, one that never got played out here (between Cleveland and Akron) and a more developed Pa/De/NJ community on the East Coast. Hmmm.

ProfDogg
August 7th, 2021, 01:15
Got something to add to the ruleset just whenever... Definitely not that big a deal if you have the book... Table 6-3 for intelligent AI is missing and after added needs to be linked to the story "Artifact AIs". It's not a "rolling" table but just a chart so you could even just add the image in from the book instead of actual text and that would convey the info...

As a side-note, I'm doing some more conversions (including some DCC material) and think I might actually run a campaign relatively soon... This is a fun ruleset and like I said, one of the best laid-out and complete I've seen, Leozelig... Your fingers must be worn out organizing all the material...

leozelig
August 7th, 2021, 04:13
Thanks Profdogg, I appreciate that.

leozelig
August 8th, 2021, 17:59
Table 6-3 for intelligent AI is missing and after added needs to be linked to the story "Artifact AIs". It's not a "rolling" table but just a chart so you could even just add the image in from the book instead of actual text and that would convey the info...

Hi ProfDogg, I looked at the MCC Core Rules module, and everything seems to be in order. Can you clarify what you mean when you say Table 6-3 is missing and needs to be linked to the story Artifact AIs? The screenshot shows what my reference manual looks like, and the table is there in the proper section. Are you seeing something different or is it a different table?

leozelig
August 8th, 2021, 18:13
Are you referring to the GM or player version of the core rules? The player version is going away soon, and everyone will have access to the full version of the core rules. This will avoid duplication of library data and arbitrary sectioning of the print product - both lead to confusion.

ProfDogg
August 8th, 2021, 20:28
Hi ProfDogg, I looked at the MCC Core Rules module, and everything seems to be in order. Can you clarify what you mean when you say Table 6-3 is missing and needs to be linked to the story Artifact AIs? The screenshot shows what my reference manual looks like, and the table is there in the proper section. Are you seeing something different or is it a different table?

Oh, I didn't see it there. This is what I was looking at: 48609

leozelig
August 8th, 2021, 21:14
Ah, ok. I can certainly add a link on the Artifact AIs page. As I'm looking at it, there is an option to roll randomly on that table for Int and Ego. I should make sure there are rollable tables for each. Thanks again for noticing that.

leozelig
August 9th, 2021, 01:13
I believe I have set up the ref manual so you can enter a table number in the search bar - table 6-3 in this case, and it will point you to the right page.

leozelig
August 9th, 2021, 01:52
I will get this updated soon, but this is what you'll see when that goes through. Table numbers work in the ref manual search bar - I added table 6-3 to the Artifact AIs page. Just to clarify, this is what's coming in the first update so just roll with it in the meantime.

Cheers,
Leo

goodmanje
August 19th, 2021, 07:07
Is this ruleset drag and drop for character creation? Is it a bare bones ruleset of fully fleshed out?

leozelig
August 19th, 2021, 11:40
Hi goodmanje. It’s a fully fleshed out ruleset. There are screenshots on the store page that give some idea of the content. Character creation is drag and drop. Click a button on the char sheet to roll ability scores, more clicks to roll on the birth sign and occupation tables, drag the occupation and item links to the char sheet, etc.