PDA

View Full Version : Locking map to background appears to affect fx settings

Geometer
April 18th, 2021, 11:09
FG Unity, 5e, Extensions: FG pack + some of Rob Twohy's

I came across this odd thing while reviewing maps for this afternoon's game.

I have a self-drawn map for encounters that features a stream crossing the whole map. I've applied Water fx to this to create gentle movement. Locking the map to background (if that's the right term - clicking the little arrow, top right corner) turns the stream into a roiling mass of turbulence, as if every parameter has been set to maximum. I can't open the Image Control panel while the map is locked to background to check if the settings have actually changed. Unlocking the map from background returns the fx to normal. Locking the map with Image Control open has no effect, the fx stay the same. Edited to add that so far it only appears to affect Water fx, Myst appears unaffected.

I haven't tried reproducing this yet, that will have to wait until this evening after the game. Just thought I'd put this up here first to see if it's a known bug.

Moon Wizard
April 18th, 2021, 17:07
There is a known bug in the Live version where the background window actually extends very far off screen, instead of being constrained to the screen. This may be the source of the issue you are seeing. Resizing the overall "application" window resets the internal background window size (must be done after each time an image sent to background). This is fixed in the beta version we're in testing with.

If that doesn't solve, can you please post any steps to recreate and/or your campaign data?

Thanks,
JPG

Geometer
April 18th, 2021, 18:00
If that doesn't solve, can you please post any steps to recreate and/or your campaign data?

Thanks,
JPG

A brief update; I tried what you suggested but it didn't seem to make any difference. I'll play around with it and see if I can reproduce it in a fresh campaign. Cheers.

Geometer
April 18th, 2021, 20:59
Just been having another play with it. The logs look interesting. The warning comes up whenever I pin the map to background.

Moon Wizard
April 18th, 2021, 22:23
That warning is just a warning from the networking system; but shouldn't affect the graphics at all.

Can you provide the steps to recreate and/or campaign?

Regards,
JPG

Geometer
April 19th, 2021, 13:58
Update.

I am unable to reproduce the effect in a completely new module-free campaign.
I can reproduce it within the original campaign (Curse of Strahd)
I can reproduce it within a fresh iteration of CoS, with all extensions, decals and features disabled except for adventure module and the basic essentials (see 1. below).
I can reproduce it within a fresh iteration of Hoard of the Dragon Queen, add-ons disabled as above.

To reproduce (all assets from FG Art Pack 2019):

1. Open new campaign for CoS or HotDQ. Theme: D&D Official. Modules: Appropriate Adventure module; Adventure module - Players; DMG; DMG - Players; Monster Manual; PHB; Xanathar's Guide; Xanathar's Guide - Players.
2. Create New Image
3. Add background tile from Assets, resize to 18x18
4. Add grid, set to W/H = 140x140, Distance 5'
5. Duplicate background tile x3, arrange to form a square
6. Add any River brush to Paint, set dims to 5x5
7. Draw a river across the map.
8. Add Water fx layer to river. Specs: Horizontal 70, Intensity 0, Speed 10, Droplet 13. Note effect.
9. Close Image Control. Pin map to background. Note effect.

Notes:
1. The above process approximately replicates the original map. Not sure now why I chose those those particular grid dimensions.
2. The effect seems to be influenced by grid settings. I tried it with a grid set to smaller dimensions. The effect was still there but much less exaggerated.
3. I've attached the campaign files from the fresh CoS campaign. I'm happy to provide the files from the original campaign if requested but it's a big file, I've added a lot of material in the form of maps, and past experience suggests it won't travel as an attachment or email.

Hope this helps.

Moon Wizard
April 19th, 2021, 21:29
I recreated using the steps you provided; and it looks fine in background mode. I tried in both the Live version and the Beta version. Both looked the same. (see attached clip.)

Regards,
JPG

Geometer
April 20th, 2021, 10:32
I recreated using the steps you provided; and it looks fine in background mode. I tried in both the Live version and the Beta version. Both looked the same. (see attached clip.)

Regards,
JPG

Did you use the same grid dimensions as mine? I'm increasingly of the mind that it's something to do with these.

Did you close Image Control before pinning the map to background? From the animation it doesn't look like you did but that could be misleading.

How do you do those animated screen shots? I'd like to show you the difference I'm seeing, stills and verbal descriptions really don't do the job.

Anyway, whatever the cause, it doesn't seem to impact on performance or gameplay and I don't want to spend a lot more time on it; so, unless there's more that you'd like me to do, now I've brought it to your attention I'm happy to put it down as one of Fantasy Grounds' many idiosyncrasies and move on, just paying more attention to grid settings in the future.

Thanks for your time.

Moon Wizard
April 20th, 2021, 16:09
Yes, I used the same dimensions as yours (as far as I can tell). Also, the map was pinned to the background with the image panel unlocked. If you include a copy of your test campaign, that would probably be better than just giving steps.

I currently use a tool called Screencast-o-matic to make screen videos; though I've used several different ones over the years.

Regards,
JPG

Geometer
April 20th, 2021, 16:22
Yes, I used the same dimensions as yours (as far as I can tell). Also, the map was pinned to the background with the image panel unlocked. If you include a copy of your test campaign, that would probably be better than just giving steps.

I attached a copy of the test campaign to my earlier post as a .zip file, here it is again:

Moon Wizard
April 20th, 2021, 16:51
Apologies. I should have backed up and looked. I'm bouncing around too much.

I downloaded and ran the sample campaign; and it still looks fine to me in both the Live and Test versions. What version is being reported on the FGU launch screen?

Regards,
JPG

Geometer
April 21st, 2021, 10:50
Apologies. I should have backed up and looked. I'm bouncing around too much.
No worries, done a bit of moderating myself in the past, I know what it's like.

I downloaded and ran the sample campaign; and it still looks fine to me in both the Live and Test versions. What version is being reported on the FGU launch screen?

Regards,
JPG
I have version 4.0.10

Just checked re. this post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67921-Map-grid-extending-over-title-border
It seems to be Critically Awesome Essentials causing this issue as well.

Edit: It's now my turn to apologise. The last sentence above is incorrect, I've double checked and the effect happens with all extensions unloaded.
Another odd thing I've noticed; when I pin this map, which is self-drawn, to background the field of view doesn't zoom to the map itself, it zooms to a point off the map to the top left with the map completely out of view. It seems to be specific to this map, it doesn't happen on module maps or other maps I've drawn.

Moon Wizard
April 21st, 2021, 16:24
There's actually a bug in the Live version where maps sent to background are not sizing correctly (the window is actually sizing much larger than application window). If you resize the "application" window, then it fixes the background image panel size. (i.e. look for the scroll/pan icon in lower right) It has to be done each time you send an image to the background panel. (This is already fixed in the beta version, but we're still working on lighting there.)

Regards,
JPG

Geometer
April 22nd, 2021, 08:36
If you resize the "application" window, then it fixes the background image panel size.
Regards,
JPG
Tried that, makes no difference.

Just to prove that I'm not imagining things I've had a go at taking some video screenshots:

Moon Wizard
April 22nd, 2021, 16:00
I never doubted your report; just unsure of how to address if I can't recreate. Whenever I submit a ticket to Carl to fix image issues, he asks me for a reproduceable case so he can investigate and verify fixes.

I feel like there's a specific set of steps you are following that I am not somewhere. Perhaps you can download a copy of the campaign you provided in post #6, and walk me very slowly through the exact steps to see the pinned issue leaving no mouse click or keystroke undocumented?

Regards,
JPG

Geometer
April 22nd, 2021, 18:00
I never doubted your report; just unsure of how to address if I can't recreate.
Possibly more a case of reassuring myself, if I'm honest. That, and testing the new software.

Whenever I submit a ticket to Carl to fix image issues, he asks me for a reproduceable case so he can investigate and verify fixes.
Understood

I feel like there's a specific set of steps you are following that I am not somewhere.
I wouldn't be surprised. I do find I can lose track of all the variables sometimes, I may well have gone off-piste somewhere.

Perhaps you can download a copy of the campaign you provided in post #6, and walk me very slowly through the exact steps to see the pinned issue leaving no mouse click or keystroke undocumented?
I'll see what I can do, I might have a go at doing it on video tomorrow.

Moon Wizard
April 22nd, 2021, 18:02
If you do it on video, see if your recording software tracks mouse clicks as pings on the video. That can help pinpoint exactly where you are clicking.

Thanks,
JPG

Geometer
April 22nd, 2021, 18:05
If you do it on video, see if your recording software tracks mouse clicks as pings on the video. That can help pinpoint exactly where you are clicking.

Thanks,
JPG

I'm using screen-o-matic that you recommended earlier. Does it support that?

Moon Wizard
April 22nd, 2021, 19:39
I don't see any settings for that. I must have remembered from some of the other tools I tried. Not a big deal; just helps to clarify presses.

Regards,
JPG

Geometer
April 22nd, 2021, 21:29
OK no worries. The video might have to wait til next week, to tell the truth, I've got stuff to prep for Sunday's game. I'll pick this up again when I've got something to show.
Cheers.

Geometer
April 30th, 2021, 14:29
@Moon Wizard

Apologies for the delay, it's been a busy week. I've done the video you requested but the file is too big to upload as an attachment (104mb), even as a zip. Is there another way I can get it to you?

Geometer
April 30th, 2021, 14:59
I've put it on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQsZvno4CDY

Moon Wizard
May 3rd, 2021, 17:08
I tried to recreate this with the latest v4.1 beta build; and wasn't able to. So, I think this will be addressed in the next release.

Thanks for the video,
JPG

Geometer
May 5th, 2021, 10:52
OK thanks for that Moon Wizard. It's always nice to have something to look forward to.