PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Floating Character Sheet Tabs

ScriedRaven
April 16th, 2021, 15:46
This Extension adds buttons onto the main tab of a player character sheet, which create windows linked to the tabs
Buttons
Actions
Skills
Abilities
Inventory
Tabs

Tabs button - Opens a separate small window with the buttons on it

Screenshots:
License Information: Public domain, use as you wish.

Known Conflicts:
Wizards theme Limits character sheet to be too small

Compatibility
Link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67847-5E-Floating-Character-Sheet-Tabs&p=638031&viewfull=1#post638031) to Thread containing Extensions for Compatibility and Alternate Themes

Forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/434/view)

Version History:
04/16/2021: V1.3: Initial Release
04/17/2021: V1.4: Fixed button scaling in FGC. Fixed clipping issues at bottom of Actions and Inventory windows
06/23/2021: V1.5: Changed buttons to be single click. Added second extension file that adds AC into the inventory screen
06/30/2021: Added thematic neutral second version
01/22/2022: Tabs can now be dragged to Hotbar, added alternate themes - (Simple Gray and Simple Brown are compressed within Wizards) - files cover both Floating Tabs and Expanded NPCs
01/29/2022: V1.6: Character Name and Portrait now appear on tabs
02/25/2022: V1.7: Redesigned Icons, Redesigned how Name and Token Appear, Added Tabs Button
07/01/2023: V1.7.1: Update for FG v4.4.2, Removed Tokens from tabs

Stv
April 16th, 2021, 16:00
Very nice, liking the look of this one :)

Cheers, Steve.

Dax Doomslayer
April 16th, 2021, 21:27
Very snazzy! This is a great idea!

SirMotte
April 16th, 2021, 22:39
Working on a compatibility fix for my theme, should be fine with the next update :).

jrowsey1
April 16th, 2021, 23:10
I don't see the extension linked in the post. Am I missing something?

ScriedRaven
April 17th, 2021, 00:28
I don't see the extension linked in the post. Am I missing something?

I may have forgotten to hit the upload button

jrowsey1
April 17th, 2021, 02:13
Now I see it!

SirMotte
April 17th, 2021, 17:43
Just wanted to say, that this is worth Gold. Ever since the first time I touched FGU about a year ago, I always wanted this functionality. SO SO GOOD.

ScriedRaven
April 17th, 2021, 18:53
Just wanted to say, that this is worth Gold. Ever since the first time I touched FGU about a year ago, I always wanted this functionality. SO SO GOOD.

What's funny is that until you pointed out I should do this for pc sheets, I was trying to figure out how to add certain parts of this to Silent Ruins Generic Actions extension. But in all honesty this is probably better than adding even more stuff to the actions tab.

SirMotte
April 18th, 2021, 00:10
What's funny is that until you pointed out I should do this for pc sheets, I was trying to figure out how to add certain parts of this to Silent Ruins Generic Actions extension. But in all honesty this is probably better than adding even more stuff to the actions tab.

Haha true. I had my players make a test run today and they absolutely freaked out when I told them to press the buttons. Now I only need to figure out how to get my theme working aswell and the next game will be really smooth sailing. Thanks a lot (also for the npc one).

Edit: My Theme is now compatible!

Milmoor
April 27th, 2021, 12:02
I see the buttons, but nothing happens if I press one. I must admit not having tested without other extensions yet. Will do later on.

NuclearMonkey
April 27th, 2021, 13:29
I thought I had the same problem. Move the character sheet. The window is right behind it.

Milmoor
April 27th, 2021, 15:57
Yep, thanks, and you need to double click. I wasn't doing that.

Drogo210
June 3rd, 2021, 23:07
We are gonna test it on Sunday but would be possible to have the pop-up window on top of the character sheet and not vice versa...I think it has more sense...do you?

Valyar
June 4th, 2021, 04:39
The added section overlaps with the special move/senses when the character sheet is resized to the allowed maximum. Quickfix was to update the minimum size to prevent this from happening. Screenshot attached of the issue, we use the default and Wizards' official theme.

nephranka
June 4th, 2021, 10:43
<removed my comment>

I did not read the post...you are at max size for that theme. I have not used that particular theme before.

Jiminimonka
June 4th, 2021, 12:31
Brilliant!

Ludd_G
June 11th, 2021, 10:33
Hi,

I really love this extension but I was wondering if I'm the only one that wishes the buttons were single click rather than double click? The whole situation in FG where some things on the sheet are single clicks and some are double is forever tripping my players up, no matter how many times they encounter it. Personally I, and my players, feel that a button should generally be single click, especially in a case like this where an accidental click won't trigger anything mechanically within the game flow.

As I said, this is an entirely subjective personal opinion, and does not take away from how much we appreciate using this extension.

Cheers and thanks,

Simon

ScriedRaven
June 24th, 2021, 01:05
Hi,

I really love this extension but I was wondering if I'm the only one that wishes the buttons were single click rather than double click? The whole situation in FG where some things on the sheet are single clicks and some are double is forever tripping my players up, no matter how many times they encounter it. Personally I, and my players, feel that a button should generally be single click, especially in a case like this where an accidental click won't trigger anything mechanically within the game flow.

As I said, this is an entirely subjective personal opinion, and does not take away from how much we appreciate using this extension.

Cheers and thanks,

Simon

I had initially designed it like that, however I changed the button design for a couple reasons (primarily aesthetic), but didn't realize the downsides of the double click design until much later. I would have done something about it sooner, but I recently started a new job that's been keeping me busy, but I finally got a chance to fix this.

nephranka
June 24th, 2021, 01:49
Great work.

I did notice the extension:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41407-Extension-5E-Action-Abilities

Which puts a small bar of ability score/skill/save click for rolls and some other information on the inventory tab does not appear when I use your actions button. Is there a way that could be resolved easily?

I did not test this in a clean environment since I figured it was not a conflict with another ext just something you may not have encountered to account for in the popup.

Ludd_G
June 24th, 2021, 10:16
I had initially designed it like that, however I changed the button design for a couple reasons (primarily aesthetic), but didn't realize the downsides of the double click design until much later. I would have done something about it sooner, but I recently started a new job that's been keeping me busy, but I finally got a chance to fix this.

Thank you for looking into this, much appreciated!

Valyar
June 27th, 2021, 07:06
Is there way to get the old version or update this one to be theme neutral? Latest version looks horrible with all themes, including the default one. Screenshot attached.

SirMotte
June 27th, 2021, 08:51
Is there way to get the old version or update this one to be theme neutral? Latest version looks horrible with all themes, including the default one. Screenshot attached.

If you use my theme it will look like this :) :

(Dev Build)

MeAndUnique
June 27th, 2021, 13:52

"Horrible" is a bit strong perhaps. Maybe "inconsistent"? Though I do agree that it's an opportunity for aesthetic improvement.

daggerfortysix
July 11th, 2021, 18:16
Neither the linked 5E - Floating Tabs - Single Click.ext or 5E - Floating Tabs - Double Click.ext on page one are version 1.5. They may have been updated, but still list as versions 1.4.

ScriedRaven
July 13th, 2021, 00:36
Neither the linked 5E - Floating Tabs - Single Click.ext or 5E - Floating Tabs - Double Click.ext on page one are version 1.5. They may have been updated, but still list as versions 1.4.

I keep track of old versions through file names, and honestly forget to change the version numbers within the extensions most of the time (that's why I don't include it in the announcement text). They're up to date.

daggerfortysix
July 13th, 2021, 07:16
Right on, I completely understand. Thanks!

nephranka
August 13th, 2021, 11:44
Any chance this could work with "5E Action Abilities v1.2 - 2019 by Claneidosyan modified version with wounds by Rino" and "Inventory Search v1.0.0"? The pop up is missing the search box for the inventory and the abilities box on the actions.

Otherwise it works great. My players like the option of the floating windows so they can move things around. This would make it even more useful.

Thanks for a great extension.

Ludd_G
December 3rd, 2021, 18:55
Hi ScriedRaven,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to make either the floating windows or their button draggable to the quick keys at the bottom of the screen? This would really improve their usability as my players live on the Actions tab, so it'd be really useful to be able to pop up the floating tabs without changing tabs on the character sheet, if that makes sense?

Cheers,

Simon

SmackDaddy
December 3rd, 2021, 22:40
Hi ScriedRaven,

I was just wondering if it would be possible to make either the floating windows or their button draggable to the quick keys at the bottom of the screen? This would really improve their usability as my players live on the Actions tab, so it'd be really useful to be able to pop up the floating tabs without changing tabs on the character sheet, if that makes sense?

Cheers,

Simon

Yeah, if this were actually possible, that would be absolutely beast!

Ludd_G
December 19th, 2021, 10:15
Is there any chance someone could tweak this to allow the floating tab buttons, or the tabs themselves, to be dragged to the hot-key slots?

I don't think it's being actively maintained anymore and this small adjustment would be a huge help for my players.

Cheers,

Simon

ScriedRaven
January 4th, 2022, 17:40
Any chance this could work with "5E Action Abilities v1.2 - 2019 by Claneidosyan modified version with wounds by Rino" and "Inventory Search v1.0.0"? The pop up is missing the search box for the inventory and the abilities box on the actions.

Otherwise it works great. My players like the option of the floating windows so they can move things around. This would make it even more useful.

Thanks for a great extension.

Sorry, I've been a bit behind on stuff. I can't do it entirely from my side, but I've sent them a message to ask what I can do. I'm not sure if/when I'll hear back

ScriedRaven
January 4th, 2022, 17:47

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to do that, when I try it just ends up creating a new blank sheet. My best guess is that the code is similar to whatever is used to pin the sidebar items to it, but I can't find that for comparison

nephranka
January 4th, 2022, 17:56
Sorry, I've been a bit behind on stuff. I can't do it entirely from my side, but I've sent them a message to ask what I can do. I'm not sure if/when I'll hear back

Thanks!

BushViper
January 18th, 2022, 08:12
Is there any chance someone could tweak this to allow the floating tab buttons, or the tabs themselves, to be dragged to the hot-key slots?

I don't think it's being actively maintained anymore and this small adjustment would be a huge help for my players.

Cheers,

Simon

I never even considered that, but it would be an incredibly useful feature.

BushViper
January 18th, 2022, 08:13
Unfortunately I can't figure out how to do that, when I try it just ends up creating a new blank sheet. My best guess is that the code is similar to whatever is used to pin the sidebar items to it, but I can't find that for comparison

If you're interested in adding this functionality, I'm sure there is someone who could help you. Obviously, there are a lot of talented creators making extensions. I'd toss the question to the Fantasy Grounds creator channel and see if you get any bites.

ScriedRaven
January 21st, 2022, 19:12
If you're interested in adding this functionality, I'm sure there is someone who could help you. Obviously, there are a lot of talented creators making extensions. I'd toss the question to the Fantasy Grounds creator channel and see if you get any bites.

It's the kind of thing that I would normally do, but I just checked back in, and started checking what extensions I want to use and all that, I really hadn't had as much time as I'd wanted yet. Anyways, while I was doing that, I realized how much it bugged me that I didn't have this feature, and I looked back over it. I have it working now, I just have a couple of aesthetic things I want to add before publishing it. I should release it in the next couple days

ScriedRaven
January 23rd, 2022, 01:40
Update Added, tabs can now be stored in Hotbar. Added Alternate theme modifiers, must be used on top of main file. Simple Gray and Simple Brown are compressed within Wizards. Extensions cover both Floating Tabs and Expanded NPCs

ScriedRaven
January 29th, 2022, 19:06
Extensions For Enhanced Compatibility with other extensions and themes

Current List

Action Abilities (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41407-Extension-5E-Action-Abilities): Now Appear On Actions Tab

nephranka
January 29th, 2022, 20:36
Very cool! Thanks!

ScriedRaven
February 24th, 2022, 00:18

I started working on new icons for the tabs, they're based on the sidebar icons. Should I implement them, or just leave it as text right now?

BushViper
March 2nd, 2022, 16:09

I started working on new icons for the tabs, they're based on the sidebar icons. Should I implement them, or just leave it as text right now?

I like them.

Tatas
March 2nd, 2022, 23:15
I personally prefer the text, but I could see how the icons might benefit non-native English speakers.

Retch
September 10th, 2022, 23:15
OMG, is there anyway you might consider making this CoreRPG (or PF1e as thats what I play LOL)? or If I can find a PF1e creator willing to try, would you allow them to work with your code?

Morenu
September 10th, 2022, 23:24
OMG, is there anyway you might consider making this CoreRPG (or PF1e as thats what I play LOL)? or If I can find a PF1e creator willing to try, would you allow them to work with your code?

oops wrong account, that was from me on the wrong account (I rarely use). but same question

Zarestia
September 10th, 2022, 23:55
oops wrong account, that was from me on the wrong account (I rarely use). but same question

Didn't that account thing happen already before?

Theoretically, this extension should work in pretty much every CoreRPG ruleset with some minor adjustments.
I could take a look at a CoreRPG solution if ScriedRaven is okay with that (Of course we'd get that thing on the Forge:) )

EDIT: No, this wasn't working as I thought it would.

Morenu
September 11th, 2022, 00:38

Theoretically, this extension should work in pretty much every CoreRPG ruleset with some minor adjustments.
I could take a look at a CoreRPG solution if ScriedRaven is okay with that (Of course we'd get that thing on the Forge:) )

yep, I use Retch when testing stuff locally on FG and I forget once in a while when I go post (3 times it looks like LOL) :)

But yes, this would be awesome as a CoreRPG ext

ScriedRaven
September 11th, 2022, 07:50

Go for it. I don't really know how the rulesets sheets work (as in, which parts you'd want separate tabs for), but if you know then go ahead

Zarestia
September 24th, 2022, 01:06

I take back what foolish old me said. My asumption was wrong, it sadly doesn't work how I thought/wanted it. Other ruleset would also need to have a manual inclusion.

Nevertheless, if someone wants to support more rulesets, I suggest to move the button selection from the charsheet main tab to a desktop panel. That would lessen the workload when dealing with several rulesets.

Roach
November 24th, 2023, 22:44
We had an issue today with Grimlore's Polymorphism: the P-Ext. adds an area to the Actions area above the weapons where to set possible Wildshapes etc. With Floating Tabs active, that area is not added.
Tested in clean campaign ith no other exts active..

ScriedRaven
November 26th, 2023, 23:31
We had an issue today with Grimlore's Polymorphism: the P-Ext. adds an area to the Actions area above the weapons where to set possible Wildshapes etc. With Floating Tabs active, that area is not added.
Tested in clean campaign with no other exts active..

I'm unable to replicate. Are you able to use Polymorphism correctly on it's own? It's been a while since I've used it so I'd forgotten that the characters needed to be added to the combat tracker

SilentRuin
November 27th, 2023, 03:26
I'm unable to replicate. Are you able to use Polymorphism correctly on it's own? It's been a while since I've used it so I'd forgotten that the characters needed to be added to the combat tracker

True. If not in CT poly does not show the poly data in the sheet (tabs).

mindfungus
March 21st, 2024, 23:11
Unable to edit fields when extension is activated.

[3/21/2024 4:06:39 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "C:charsheet_actionsft:actions_iedit"]:14: attempt to call field 'update' (a nil value)

I have tracked it down to just this extension. Hope you can help. I love this extension

mindfungus.

ScriedRaven
March 22nd, 2024, 00:50
I'd noticed a problem, but I wasn't sure if it was from an update I'd abandoned or not. I was going to get around to double checking it out, I just... hadn't yet. It's fixed now

mindfungus
March 24th, 2024, 00:37
Works great now. Thank you for such a fast fix!