PDA

View Full Version : How do I create a custom game from the D&D 3.5 rules?

Aeternal
July 15th, 2007, 01:02
I have purchased FG2 and would like to know how do I run a D&D 3.5 game with FG2? I am new to the D&D 3.5 rules and know little about what is in the d20 rules.. so any help in regards to how I go about for example, modifying the supplied rulesets/modules to reflect the rules out of the core D&D books? Or for that matter, any addition of custom changes from other D&D supplements.

I understand D&D is a copyrighted product and I am not asking for help in breaking that copyright, just some help in pointing me in the right direction as to the process/workflow that I need to go about to modify FG2 resources... I read up on it, and have limited time to read the msgboards so any help you can provide I would appreciate. Also, how do I make custom character sheets for my players?

Thanks in advance. :confused:

Sigurd
July 15th, 2007, 01:36
The short answer is that most everyone who uses the d20 ruleset, included with the game, plays with a full set of D&D books and the 3.5 rules.

Simply put, the ruleset doesn't have any brains. The DM sets the challenges based on the rules and you role your dice. Nothing is automatic according to a concealed rule system. Its all in the minds of the people at the virtual table - like pen and paper.

I don't think there is anything in the D20 ruleset that is 'wrong' for 3.5. If there is simply ignore it.

The ruleset mostly gives you a character sheet to pull your character data from and some online resources. Mostly I use my trusty books. The D20 SRD - source for the d20 ruleset - is 3.5 compatable so you don't need a custom ruleset.

I'll let others tell you how they customized their ruleset for various advantages but I have to say for me WOTC & FG work hand in hand. I don't want to have to customize anything - too much work.

Sigurd

Aeternal
July 15th, 2007, 01:52
So I should just keep the mindset that this is only a virtual table top, no different then in person and that decisions must be handled manually and they are not automatically driven based on a file with rules for D&D 3.5e within FG2?

Sigurd
July 15th, 2007, 01:59
Pretty much.

My suggestion is that before you DM a session try and join a session as a player.

FG isn't a game. It serves a game like a phone serves a conversation. It enables it over a great distance and allows people to conference who know the rules. It doesn't replace the advantages of the various gaming books and supplements.

The classy part about FG (IMHO) is that it is so like a table top game.