PDA

View Full Version : Drag and drop storylines

Hamish
July 14th, 2007, 20:28
Hello everyone,

I've just started building my first campaign in FG. I'll try out what I've made so far ervery now and then, to see how I should GM it. I thought I'd be able to drag and drop text from my storyline to the chatbox, but I can't. So my question is: Is there any way I can prepare text within FG so I can drag and drop it to the chatbox?

Thanks!

Ged
July 14th, 2007, 20:39
Evoke the radial menu at the paragraph you want to be able to drag. Select "enter edit mode" if you are not in the edit mode already. Select "paragraph types". Select "chat frame". Select "exit edit mode" or close the story book entry - in the former case the paragraph becomes draggable, in the latter it is draggable the next time you open the sheet.

If you wish to assign a speaker to the paragraph, just hit tab while editing the text formatted as a chat frame (or select paragraph types -> assing speaker) and write the name of the speaker. You can return to editing the text by moving the cursor to the text block with mouse.

Hamish
July 15th, 2007, 07:04
Thanks a lot Ged, my paragraphs are now draggable. I do have some trouble with assigning a speaker though, I find the radial button you mentioned, but nothing seems to happen when I click it.

Kalan
July 15th, 2007, 13:56
Thanks a lot Ged, my paragraphs are now draggable. I do have some trouble with assigning a speaker though, I find the radial button you mentioned, but nothing seems to happen when I click it.

After clicking "assign speaker", you then need to click at the beginning of the Paragraph. You should see it indent a little bit, at which point you can then key in the speaker name you need :)

Hamish
July 15th, 2007, 15:24
Okay, that works, but after I type the name of the speaker, and drag-drop it in the chat box, it doesn't show who is speaking. What am I doing wrong here?

Kalan
July 15th, 2007, 16:11
Okay, that works, but after I type the name of the speaker, and drag-drop it in the chat box, it doesn't show who is speaking. What am I doing wrong here?
I have a feeling you're not moving your cursor to the left before typing in the speaker name.

You should see something akin to this if you've done it right:

https://www.kalanskorner.co.uk/images/assign%20speaker.jpg

Hope that helps a little more...

John_Geeshu
July 15th, 2007, 19:13
A little advice -- take it or leave it as you will. From my experiences as a player, it is best to keep the drag and drop narration to a bare minimum. Too much detail doesn't really serve to set a scene well because it is difficult for players to visualize a scene properly if there are a lot of details provided. Keep the narration short and snappy and provide only what the players <b>absolutely need to know.</b>

I don't know about anyone else, but I have 20:10 vision and I find it difficult reading large blocks of bold text. Also, most of us are not narrative-poets like James Lee Burke is. I think you catch my meaning. ;)

Hamish
July 16th, 2007, 08:05
Hehehe, thanks for the advice, John, I'll keep it in mind.

Kalan,
I assumed that was what supposed to happen, but it doesn't seem to work that way for me. I did move my cursor to the left before typing the speaker's name. Should I press Ctrl-Enter to enter it as a story entry?

I'm working with a slightly modified ruleset, I'll see if I can get it to work with the d20.

Thanks!

Hamish

joshuha
July 16th, 2007, 14:06
Did you drag it into the chat window itself or the just to the chat entry box?

Hamish
July 16th, 2007, 18:12
Joshuha,

Brilliant as ever. I was dragging onto the entry box instead of the chat window itself!

Thanks all!

NymTevlyn
July 16th, 2007, 18:35
If the text size were easier to adjust or the size of the chat window, I wouldn't mind bigger blocks of text.

mcgarnagle
July 25th, 2007, 23:30
another quick way to assign a speaker is to make sure your cursor is inside the block text. Then just hit TAB. It will automatically take you to the spot to assign the speaker.