PDA

View Full Version : 5e - Indicators

mattekure
April 13th, 2021, 12:58
Now on the Forge: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/1603/view

This extension adds a number of different graphical indicators to PC and NPC tokens on a map. These indicators help both the DM and Players know what's going on at a glance.

The types of indicators this extension adds are:

Health Status - Shows how wounded the PC/NPC is by displaying a blood spatter image that gets progressively more intense.

Death Status - Shows when the PC/NPC is Dying, Dead, or Stable.

Saving Throw Results - Displays on each token the results of a saving throw. Whether they had a successful save, a save for half damage, or a failed save.

Initiative Indicator - Displays an indicator showing which token has initiative. This can make it easier to find the current token on the map.

Targeted Indicator - Displays an indicator on all tokens targeted by the current initiative holder. This can be especially helpful to make sure you are not targeting yourself!

https://imgur.com/yDiXpja.jpg

Thanks to user Drowbe, a huge number of icon sets have been added including with and without blood spatter, ghosts, skulls, and words.
Bloodied - 2 icon sets
Dead - 19 icon sets
Dying/Stable - 13 icon sets
Health - 5 icon sets
Initiative - 4 icon sets
Saving Throws - 6 icon sets
Targeting - 5 icon sets

Note: The idea for this extensions was based on a previous one that I maintained here on the FG forums. That free version is still available at its thread. This new version is a complete rewrite. No code was copied. Licencing and Copyright details are included in the extension.

For support with this extension, either post here or come to our Discord and tag @mattekure so I can help you... Discord server - https://discord.gg/FVgtecr

Ruleset Compatibility: Although this extension was originally developed for 5E as indicated in the title, It is based on CoreRPG code and should work for many rulesets.

mattekure
April 13th, 2021, 12:59
With the release of Indicators on the Forge, I was requested to make a way for users to customize the indicators used. In this post is a link to a zip file containing an extension that will allow you to override any of the images used in the Indicators extension. I cannot attach the file itself to this post as it is larger than the forum file size limits for zip files. This override extension is entirely optional. It contains no code, just the images and the XML file which points to them.

Indicators Override Extension
https://mattekure.com/overrideExts/IndicatorsOverride.zip

Instructions:

Download the zip file and extract the contents into your extensions folder. This extension is not packaged up into a .ext file as most extensions are in order to make it easier to replace the images. The zip file contains a folder which should be placed into your extensions' folder.

https://i.imgur.com/rth22bQ.png

Find the image in the folder that you would like to replace, and overwrite the file with the new image using the exact same file name including extension. All files must be PNG. There should be no need to ever edit the XML files directly. Here is an example where I have overwritten the initiative.png file with a new image.

https://i.imgur.com/YevZYpc.png

When the extension is enabled and used, the Indicators extension now uses the new image. In this case, the initiative image is replaced.

https://i.imgur.com/OkInDV4.png

kevininrussia
April 14th, 2021, 20:12
Have you tested this extension with other rulesets? The only one that looks like it might cause problems is the Saving Throw indicator.

Also, is it possible to have a different Death Indicator graphic for PC's and NPC's?

mattekure
April 14th, 2021, 20:54
Have you tested this extension with other rulesets? The only one that looks like it might cause problems is the Saving Throw indicator.

Also, is it possible to have a different Death Indicator graphic for PC's and NPC's?

I have not tested it with other rulesets. Off the top of my head, of the 5 indicator types, 3 would need to be modified.

Both the Health and Death Indicators rely on the function getHealthIndicators() which references ruleset specific functions ActorManager5E.getWoundPercent() and EffectManager5E.hasEffect(). There may be analogous functions in other rulesets that could be swapped out. They also rely on the standard simple and detailed health status terms defined in manager_actor_health.lua. If the ruleset overrides those, some tweaking would be required. Many systems have different names or definitions for the status of dead, dying, stable, bloodied, wounded, etc. All of those would need to be factored in. Not likely terribly difficult if you are familiar with the ruleset.

The saving throw mechanism digs into the 5e saving throw system. Each each ruleset could potentially be very similar, or very different in implementation and available functions.

For the different image for PC/NPC dead, its certainly possible and relatively simple. Its not currently set up that way, but it would just take adding in a check during the getHealthIndicators() function and checking if its a PC/NPC and adjusting the return value.

EllivasKram
April 15th, 2021, 09:04
Can I just confirm this extn is working with yesterday’s updates and Kent’s extn for advantage on flanking. Etc.

I was getting sometimes working sometimes not a lot yesterday.

mattekure
April 15th, 2021, 12:12
Can I just confirm this extn is working with yesterday’s updates and Kent’s extn for advantage on flanking. Etc.

I was getting sometimes working sometimes not a lot yesterday.

Its working with the recent update and as far as I can tell with Kents auto flanking and range. What do you mean by sometimes working sometimes not? In what circumstances was it not working, or in what way did it not work as expected.

mattekure
April 16th, 2021, 02:34
I pushed v3 update today. This makes it compatible with the 4E ruleset for everything except Saving Throws. I will need to look more closely as 4E handles saving throws a bit different.

Thanks to user kevininrussia for his assistance with 4e.

viviolay
April 19th, 2021, 04:59
I like the targetting effects! Can the symbols be changed like your free version or should i go into the extension to swap out the images manually?

mattekure
April 19th, 2021, 21:31
I just pushed v4 of this extension to DMsGuild. Big update.

Added new graphic alternatives for all indicator types. Thanks to Drowbe for designing and providing me with an awesome set of images.

Added in new options to control scaling of indicators. Each indicator can now be scaled independently from 50%, 80%, 100%, 120%, and 150%.

kevininrussia
April 19th, 2021, 23:19
Feature request: This might not be possible but I thought it would be cool if the Death Saves updated the Dying overlay. For example if there was two failed death saves then dying_large2.png would load.

https://i.imgur.com/Qe3P8Vl.png

Drowbe
April 21st, 2021, 02:09
Wow -- that is a really cool idea. I am happy to work on the icons if mattekure is up for the challenge.

Drowbe
April 21st, 2021, 02:09
Awesome update! Thanks for jumping through all the hoops.

mattekure
April 21st, 2021, 02:27
Feature request: This might not be possible but I thought it would be cool if the Death Saves updated the Dying overlay. For example if there was two failed death saves then dying_large2.png would load.

https://i.imgur.com/Qe3P8Vl.png

I'll have to give this idea some thought. It doesnt really fit in with how the extension is architected currently. It would take some reworking to make it work right. possibly make it its own indicator type rather than using the dying/dead/stable indicator

SmackDaddy
April 22nd, 2021, 03:48
I'll have to give this idea some thought. It doesnt really fit in with how the extension is architected currently. It would take some reworking to make it work right. possibly make it its own indicator type rather than using the dying/dead/stable indicator

If you were able to work something like that into this, that would definitely bring even more value to this awesome extension!

viviolay
April 22nd, 2021, 10:55
Did some graphical tweaking for personal use :)
I added different save graphics and initiative graphics from some of my other status indicator extensions and altered some opacities. Added transparncy and decreased opacity for the death skulls. Layered the critical blood splatter beneath the dying/stable hearts and decreased their opacity.

Overall, happy with the outcome :) Thanks!

mattekure
April 27th, 2021, 17:13
v8 is posting today. Some minor bug fixes and a ton of graphics.

Thanks to user Drowbe, a huge number of icon sets have been added including with and without blood spatter, ghosts, skulls, and words.
Bloodied - 2 icon sets
Dead - 19 icon sets
Dying/Stable - 13 icon sets
Health - 5 icon sets
Initiative - 4 icon sets
Saving Throws - 6 icon sets
Targeting - 5 icon sets

MrDDT
April 29th, 2021, 18:58
This is awesome, but one thing I've never liked about the overlays are they cover up too much of the icon of the target.

You think we can make it so maybe in the top right 1/3 of the token ICON we can have the effects there? Because sometimes it just shows like "saved" or "bleeding out" icons but I'm not sure who it is by looking at it because the whole token is covered with the effect.

mattekure
April 29th, 2021, 19:02
This is awesome, but one thing I've never liked about the overlays are they cover up too much of the icon of the target.

You think we can make it so maybe in the top right 1/3 of the token ICON we can have the effects there? Because sometimes it just shows like "saved" or "bleeding out" icons but I'm not sure who it is by looking at it because the whole token is covered with the effect.

Take a look at the icon non-bloody versions. They provide an icon indicator in the upper left. There are options for dead, dying and Stable. For health, you can use Droplets, which also show an icon in the upper left. For saving throws you can use the icon or small word set.

MrDDT
April 29th, 2021, 19:09
Take a look at the icon non-bloody versions. They provide an icon indicator in the upper left. There are options for dead, dying and Stable. For health, you can use Droplets, which also show an icon in the upper left. For saving throws you can use the icon or small word set.

I thought I did, maybe my version is old.

mattekure
April 29th, 2021, 19:18
v8 is the current version. double check what it shows in chat.

mattekure
May 9th, 2021, 16:10
v9 posted, minor bug fix

bwatford
May 16th, 2021, 05:17
With the new update and lighting the target frame is not showing when a token is targeted any longer.

- Nevermind, found the culprit. _

kevininrussia
May 16th, 2021, 09:16
Initiative overlay is not being shown on client side when Next Actor is selected on combat tracker. When first logged in the Initiative overlay is shown correctly but not after Next Actor is selected. The other overlays work correctly.

mattekure
May 16th, 2021, 15:44
Initiative overlay is not being shown on client side when Next Actor is selected on combat tracker. When first logged in the Initiative overlay is shown correctly but not after Next Actor is selected. The other overlays work correctly.

I can replicate this, I'll see whats changed to cause it.

mattekure
May 19th, 2021, 18:09
I have fixed the issue with initiative. The next update, v10 should work.

SmackDaddy
May 21st, 2021, 04:58
I have fixed the issue with initiative. The next update, v10 should work.

Have you released 10? I have seen a few updates to some of my extensions on DMsG but don't recall this extension -- but I may have overlooked it.... thank you in advance.

mattekure
May 21st, 2021, 11:59
Have you released 10? I have seen a few updates to some of my extensions on DMsG but don't recall this extension -- but I may have overlooked it.... thank you in advance.

Yes, v10 was released the same day as my post.

wframe
September 1st, 2021, 23:13
Hello, Mattekure. Is there any chance you could take a look at why this may be breaking the saving throw functionality of this module: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill

I've done quite a bit of testing and whenever I enable 5e Indicators, casting spells at players results in an automatic failed "1" roll, rather than a popup for them to click "roll save". I purchased 5e Indicators and love it, but I really need that manual save functionality to work for my game.

I tested this with no other extensions running. It's definitely some kind of conflict with 5e Indicators. And like I said, it only seems to break the manual saving throw popup. I know RFI++ is no longer supported.

Thanks!

mattekure
September 5th, 2021, 01:38
I am looking into it.

Maldev
July 24th, 2022, 10:59
G'day there.
I have an error coming up when the 5e indicators is loaded.
No other extensions loaded- 4E Ruleset. Windows 10 PC
Happens in 5E as well (no other extensions)
Cheers

mattekure
July 24th, 2022, 13:51
G'day there.
I have an error coming up when the 5e indicators is loaded.
No other extensions loaded- 4E Ruleset. Windows 10 PC
Happens in 5E as well (no other extensions)
Cheers

Update, the fix for that was published to DMsGuild nearly a month ago. v16 is the current version.

Maldev
July 25th, 2022, 01:21
Thanks for the reply. Will follow up.
Cheers

Tan0
February 18th, 2023, 07:11
Hello! Any plans to have an option to disable saves display to the players?

mattekure
February 18th, 2023, 13:37
Hello! Any plans to have an option to disable saves display to the players?

Not until you suggested it :D

I'll take a look, but it seems simple enough to add

Tan0
February 18th, 2023, 16:57

That would be great! ^_^

Hjorimir
March 18th, 2023, 11:42
I'm getting this error repeatedly when I touch tokens on the CT and map.

mattekure
March 18th, 2023, 14:44
I'm getting this error repeatedly when I touch tokens on the CT and map.
You are using a very old version. Update from DMsGuild and make sure you don’t have any duplicate copies in the extension folder

Tan0
March 18th, 2023, 15:40

Hello! Did you find room to include this feature by chance?
Thanks!

mattekure
March 18th, 2023, 16:38
Hello! Did you find room to include this feature by chance?
Thanks!
It’s still on my todo list. I started working on it but it’s not ready for release

Tan0
March 18th, 2023, 16:39
It’s still on my todo list. I started working on it but it’s not ready for release

Thanks for the update. I appreciate it!

Hjorimir
March 21st, 2023, 02:04
Yup, this worked. I lost track of which extensions are updated automatically via the FG Forge and which are not. Thanks.

mattekure
February 25th, 2024, 22:21
This extension is now available on the Forge for auto updates!!!

In the second post of this thread I have also added an optional extension that allows you to override any of the image icons used by the extension so you can customize it to your liking.

Tan0
February 25th, 2024, 22:38
Great news!! BTW, any plans to have the option to disable saves display for the players implemented?

mattekure
February 25th, 2024, 22:41
Great news!! BTW, any plans to have the option to disable saves display for the players implemented?

It was added in v20. :D

https://i.imgur.com/flgCfYv.png

Tan0
February 25th, 2024, 22:43
Cool! It's been a while since I checked DMSGuild! Thanks!