PDA

View Full Version : Installing FGII On A Different Partition

Majik
July 12th, 2007, 21:55
Alright, I have searched for something to assist me with this problem but I have not found anything relative to my question. I have two partitions on my hard drive. C: is for my OS only, and D: is where I put all my documents and programs and such. I have FG1 installed on D: with no problem. I always kept my tokens, maps and all that in it's folder on D: Now with FGII I chose to install it on D: partition but some of the files are put in C: under the Application Data folder. Meaning for me to be able to store my tokens, maps, etc for our campaign it will have to be put into that folder on C: Is there a way, or something that I am missing, for to have everything including the files it puts under Application Data on D: drive. I figured since FGII is set to look for those items on that drive it would be much more than copying and pasting. I had just hoped it would have installed everything on D: when I chose that area. Thanks for the help.

-Nathan

Dachannien
July 12th, 2007, 22:42
There's a good chance that FG2 installs the data files to %APPDATA%\Fantasy Grounds II. If this results in those files being installed to your C drive, it indicates that Windows isn't set up to have that data stored on the D drive.

If it's a matter of having the data stored on a different hard drive for speed purposes, rather than purely an organizational issue, you can "fake it" by setting up a junction (aka symbolic link).

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/205524

Griogre
July 12th, 2007, 22:55
Hmm, this is the argument for putting the FG data in user\Documents instead of AppData. Appdata is an hidden OS folder so it will be on the drive with the OS by default.

If you have Vista you should be able to rerout you location with the Location tab in the properties of the Roaming Folder. Just right click on Roaming and click the location tab and change the path so it goes where you want.

I don't know if you can do this in XP. Here's a article on Vista: https://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_appdata.htm#Overview_-_Storage_of_Personal_Folders_and_Settings

Majik
July 12th, 2007, 23:45
It's not really an organizational issue but a space issue. I have about 3.5gb left on my C: Drive and about 100gb on my D: drive. I've mainly used the D: for storage, and C: for OS, updates, and registry additions etc.

Thanks,
-M

joshuha
July 12th, 2007, 23:50
You can override this if you know what you are doing. In the registry if you go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0 you should see a key for DataDir. Change this to where you copied your stuff to and it should work ok.

Majik
July 13th, 2007, 00:05
The registry edit worked perfect! Thanks Josh!