PDA

View Full Version : To the GM's running Pathfinder 2e for your groups

Larsenex
April 7th, 2021, 00:04
Greetings fellow GM's.

I see a load of nice extensions but (most) are for 5E.

I am curious what Extensions or Modules you feel are 'must have' for your games (Pathfinder 2E).

Best,

Larsenex

Zacchaeus
April 7th, 2021, 00:51
None.

I should qualify that I suppose. No extension is essential or must have. The use or otherwise of any extension is subjective. What’s essential for one group or DM is useless to another. It comes down to personal preference and what you want to see in your game that the base software doesn’t have.

Hykim
April 7th, 2021, 01:04
The Universal Module Extension. Of course that is just due to the fact that I'm running Reign of Winter (PF1E Adventure Path) in PF2E.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41034-Universal-Module-Extension

The Basic Card Tables Extension. I have imported and implemented the Crit Hit and Crit Fumble tables, not really using it for anything else other than that though.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23099-Basic-Card-Tables-Extensions

AlaskanFalcon
April 7th, 2021, 04:49
While not essential, these are the ones I use and my players enjoy:

5e Extension - NPC Flavors - Adds fun descriptors to enemies on the combat tracker (helps differentiate between multiples of the same version and some are silly enough that they become canon lol)
Basic Card Deck Tables - I used this to create the Critical Hit and Critical Fumble decks in Fantasy Grounds which has been great
Better Save Descriptions for PFRPG2 - Helps clean up the chat a bit, but might not be as necessary with R18 once that comes out
Clock Adjuster - A great way of tracking time for combat rounds, 10 minute rests, events, and other things. This has significantly helped up the tension in one of my games in which we are on a bit of a timer and every minute counts
CoreRPG - AudioOverseer - We use Syrinscape to enhance our game and this saves me (or one of my players) a ton of time by automating the triggers
CoreRPG - Has initative Indicator - Adds a handy crown over the token for the current creature on the combat tracker. Used in conjunction with the NPC Flavors, this has helped my players know exactly which creature we're referring to in those encounters with more than 2 of the same type of creature
Feature: Theater of the Mind - A second "combat tracker" to help visualize theater of the mind events. I use this primarily for chases, but have had success tracking rooms within a location (think rooms within a haunted house or locations in a party)
Height - Recently added, but helpful to help track the vertical distance of a token (in the air or underground); doesn't modify the distance calculation for targeting in FG, but a great reminder that a creature is flying or there's a Fire Giant in a Hungry Pit
PF2e Modifiers Desktop Buttons - Handy buttons the PCs can use for Flat-Footed and Cover when making attacks
Player Agency - Allows for significant world building and player agency with the investigator to help keep track of clues, people, places, and other things
TTRPG Safety Toolkit - While I believe I know my traditional players pretty well, I frequently run games for others and I want to make sure my table is a safe space. The Safety Toolkit is essentially a digital X card as described in the Core Rulebook, but has the benefit of being anonymous. If I touch on content that players find objectionable or uncomfortable, they can anonymously give me a warning that we're approaching a moment we shouldn't RP or discuss or that we've crossed a line that has triggered something uncomfortable. It hasn't been used yet, but my players appreciate the option
Universal Module - This is a lifesaver for me as I'm running my core group of players through Strange Aeons converted to Second Edition. If you have material from other game systems (like PF1e), you can use this to load things. Having the story entries, maps, and everything already created and placed on the maps, and simply needing to be converted has saved me dozens of hours
Window Saver X - A quality of life extension that allows me to save my windows and their positions within FG and then restore them the next time I open the session. I haven't used this one in a few months so not sure if it is still supported, but a handy utility for sure!

I don't have the URLs for all of these right now, but I'm certain I could find them with a quick forum search if necessary.

MaxAstro
April 7th, 2021, 05:53
On Demand Manual Dice is a big one for me - mostly so that I can duplicate a roll result if I forgot a modifier or something. Also lets me fudge the occasional roll if I need to.
Party Item Identified honestly should just be a core feature; being able to see which items are identified or not in party loot is a huge time saver.
And finally, massive massive thank you to PF2 Creature Parser, which has saved me literally hours of work building encounters.

I used to use Token View Options to have more fine control over health displays, but unfortunately in Unity it causes health bars to display as unreadable one-pixel-wide little things. :(

vonBlashyrkh
April 7th, 2021, 09:13
The one's I am using are:

Better Save Descriptions for PF2RPG
Core RPG - Combat Highlighter
Core RPG - Has Initiative Indicator
Core RPG - Party Item Identified
Core RPG - Wound Overlay
PF2E Modifiers Desktop Buttons
Universal Module

Though I am intrigued by some of the others that have been mentioned and may have to seek them out

Trenloe
April 7th, 2021, 16:52
Regarding "Better Save Descriptions for PFRPG2" - this overrides a main part of the PF2 save code - effectively anchoring it at March 2020. There have been some changes to this code since then - including clearer save result icons in June 2020. And this extension should not be used with the current Release 18 in the test channel - in fact, if you're doing testing in the test channel, please don't use any extensions.

If you run extensions, these override the underlying ruleset code. If that ruleset code changes, sometimes you get errors, but sometimes you won't - and you're stuck running old code that can at best mean you're missing cool new stuff, and at worst mean you're playing with broken functionality that you may not be aware of. Please keep this in mind when considering running extensions, keep the number of extensions to a minimum and always regularly check the threads of those extensions for reported issues or updates.

jackmep
April 7th, 2021, 17:56
I use
Modifiers Desktop Buttons
Change Profency
Elite/Weak Effect
SRD Raven

I need
Diferent effect icons
Better Inventory or mini inventory
Invested Items Counter
Familiar and animal companion Player Controled
Party Inventory Tab in
Buttom of 10 round / 60 round (For exploration uses)
Skill Chek in the action Tab
Combat Timer

PD> Can we have a clock inside the game window. I dont use full screen because of this.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2021, 18:35
Party Inventory Tab in
What is it you're asking for here?

Both of these can be done via the right-click menu. Are you aware of that and just asking for buttons?

Larsenex
April 7th, 2021, 19:59
Community > Thanks for these lists.

Trenloe's addendum above explaining the issue with better save descriptions is really an eye opener! (Thanks Trenloe)

What I am currently using and will modify today >

> Better save descriptions (going to remove this asap)
> Wound Overlay (the death indicator , love this!)
> Portals
>Has Initiative
> universal module
> Player Agency
> Clock adjuster
>Shade Ravens modules (SR)
> NPC's (I cant remember name of module but it has the NPC's from the DM's handbook. Such a big help as i can just modify an NPC to what I need.)

Ones I am going to add to see how they work:

>Combat Highlighter ( I think the 'has initiative will work better.)
>Party Item identified
> NPC Flavors (not sure if i can get this to work with pathfinder 2e but it sounds amazing.)

AlaskanFalcon
April 7th, 2021, 22:54
Wound Overlay (the death indicator , love this!)

I was using this to great effect with my players, but the ruleset update nearly two months ago had broken it. Was it updated to work?

Portals

I've been wanting to play with the Portals extension, but haven't bit the bullet quite yet. How does it perform? When I initially was planning on using it, it wasn't available for Unity but it seems it has since been updated. Any feedback?

Shade Ravens modules (SR)
NPC's (I cant remember name of module but it has the NPC's from the DM's handbook. Such a big help as i can just modify an NPC to what I need.)

Good call out on these! I just looked at my extension list, but didn't even consider the modules. These two are both great, and my players have got a lot of mileage out of the SOM and G&G playtest class modules that were uploaded when those releases dropped. I'll see what other modules I've got and share them here as well once I get home this evening.

NPC Flavors (not sure if i can get this to work with pathfinder 2e but it sounds amazing.)

This doesn't require any tinkering! It just works out of the box :) Recently my players came up against some boars; Momma boar had wild eyes, but the babies are where the real personality came out: one had a torn bandana, one had a bum knee, one had a broken tooth, and one had an antagonistic gait. The PCs ended up slaying momma boar and taking the babies back to their camp and are training them. These silly descriptors not only helped us identify them in combat, but also has become canon to the game world... Pig Newton never goes anywhere without his bandana!

jackmep
April 7th, 2021, 23:04
The party inventory Tab is the mule or a inventory with the rations or water. A space to the player o GM to have some resource. I use the pary sheed and write "Mule" in owner. Its not "necesary", just can be easy to implement (i think) and usefull in some games. I use this in my port of TOA to PF2.

The 10 round or 60 round i know you can do it in the Combat tracker but its nice if i can have 2 simple buttons, 1 hr-10min. (And some times i click on 10 min rest and i lose track of the rounds). Again, not a must. My players and I dont go RAW. But visual tools to make easy ans faster to track some mecanics give us more time to play. When the players see que prone effect they remember the enemy is prone, and with FGU make us save a lot of time to play more.

I think the next feature or light will be a LOT time save in the hidden, undetected, unotice department.

AlaskanFalcon
April 7th, 2021, 23:05
I need
Diferent effect icons
Better Inventory or mini inventory
Invested Items Counter
Familiar and animal companion Player Controled
Party Inventory Tab in
Skill Chek in the action Tab
Combat Timer

Can we have a clock inside the game window. I dont use full screen because of this.

I'm looking at getting into Extension and Ruleset development with Fantasy Grounds, and have already starting doing simple modifications to things for both PF2e and SFRPG. Do you have more specifics on what you want out of these things, specifically these:

Better Inventory
Invested Items Counter
Party Inventory Tab

Also, there is a Combat Timer extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30856-Combat-Timer-Extension-%28v-0-0-1%29) that is available but doesn't quite support PF2e yet. With some relatively simple modifications, I'm sure it could be fixed though!

AlaskanFalcon
April 7th, 2021, 23:07
The 10 round or 60 round i know you can do it in the Combat tracker but its nice if i can have 2 simple buttons, 1 hr-10min. (And some times i click on 10 min rest and i lose track of the rounds). Again, not a must. My players and I dont go RAW. But visual tools to make easy ans faster to track some mecanics give us more time to play. When the players see que prone effect they remember the enemy is prone, and with FGU make us save a lot of time to play more.

The Clock Adjuster (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57561-Utility-Clock-Adjuster) extension has simple buttons for rests - you can set your own "short rest" and "long rest" intervals within the extension and it helps keep track of things for you. Might be what you're looking for.

muzouka
April 10th, 2021, 18:57
Is there an index for all the extensions?

Zacchaeus
April 10th, 2021, 19:27
Is there an index for all the extensions?

Stickied at the top off the forum https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50316-Pathfinder-Second-Edition-community-extensions