PDA

View Full Version : Library Help

Hipocritus
July 11th, 2007, 00:45
I am currently working on an Iron Kingdoms ruleset for FGII. Basically, I plan to take the D20 ruleset and modules and work with those to create what I need.

First, copied the examples/D20 ruleset and moved it to the ruleset/ directory. I renamed the folder "Iron Kingdoms" and figured that good. Moving on.

First, I thought the easiest thing to do would be work the spells. I decompiled the d20spells.mod and have altered to file's data to fit that of the Iron Kingdoms. Next, I modified the definition.xml files as follows.

<root>
<name>Iron Kingdoms Spells</name>
<author>Privateer Press</author>
<ruleset>Iron Kingdoms</ruleset>
</root>

I modified the category name and spells in the client.xml, but I dont suspect any changes would be the problem. Moving on more.

My problem is simple, or at least to you guys, more than likely. I open FGII and open the ruleset. Great. Then I go to the Modules and my mod is there, great. So I open the book and set it to be used. Then, I go to my library and its not there. I don't know for the life of me whats wrong. Please, someone help.

The High Druid
July 11th, 2007, 02:31
I had a similar problem creating a race module and my error turned out to be a bad </i>tag</i>. It's worth opening up the xml file in Internet explorer (no clue if it works in Firefox and whatnot as well) as it often picks up that sort of error and shows you where it is.

Kalan
July 11th, 2007, 05:32
If I had to guess...its something in the first few lines of your client.xml, and possibly your definition.xml. FG seems to be picky about the names you give things...

Try using IronKingdoms as the name in your definition file.

Then the opening lines of your client.xml should look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.0">
<library>
<ironkingdomspells static="true">
<name type="string">Iron Kingdom Spells</name>
<categoryname type="string">Iron Kingdom Rules</categoryname>

As a note tho - rather than use a client.xml file to distribute the spells, save it as a common.xml file. In this way, you don't have to send anything to your players, as they will automatically receive any updates and access to the spells while they are connected to your server, and loose access once they are offline. This helps to minimize any "legal" effects one encounters by using (c) material like this.

Take care and hope that helps!

V

Hipocritus
July 11th, 2007, 05:53
Thanks for the input. I threw the file into IE and it found some errors, so I'm going to correct them and see what happens.

About the common.xml, what I am needing to do is get rid of and alter and add spells (along with races, feats, ect). Basically, I'm rewriting certain parts of the D20 to fit IK instead of starting from scratch. I don't want to confuse my players with having to use different supplements and having to constantly cross reference. Can the common.xml still do that? This is the first I have heard of such a file and would be curious to know what its capable of.

Hipocritus
July 11th, 2007, 06:16
I think my problem is a half completed mod file. I was checking to see if it would show up in library without cleaning up the file first. I deleted some spells from the core list without pruning them for the actual class spell lists. I havent confirmed this, but I'm sure an empty reference might screw things up. Am I the only one questioning why they chose XML as a database medium instead of... i dont know... a database?!

Kalan
July 11th, 2007, 06:22
Thanks for the input. I threw the file into IE and it found some errors, so I'm going to correct them and see what happens.

About the common.xml, what I am needing to do is get rid of and alter and add spells (along with races, feats, ect). Basically, I'm rewriting certain parts of the D20 to fit IK instead of starting from scratch. I don't want to confuse my players with having to use different supplements and having to constantly cross reference. Can the common.xml still do that? This is the first I have heard of such a file and would be curious to know what its capable of.
There's no difference in the structure of common.xml, client.xml or db.xml files. The difference is primarily in how they are transmitted to the clients.

I went into a "laymens" explanation of how FGII is structured in this thread HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6625)

As for why they chose XML...who knows, probably has something to do with transmission file size.

Hipocritus
July 11th, 2007, 06:41
So basically all I would need to do is rename the client.xml to common.xml and be done with it? The player won't have actual hard copies of the mod's on their computers? Because basically, my Iron Kingdoms games will only be using my version of the d20basicrules.mod, d20monsters.mod, and d20spells.mod. The only one I will be keeping intact is the d20magicitems.mod, but thats up in the air still (thinking about including the Mechanika Items section in there too). All .mod's will be converted to IK info, so ya, I dont want to step on any copyright toes. Hopefully, once I'm done, there will be no need for the original D20 files.

Kalan
July 11th, 2007, 07:07
So basically all I would need to do is rename the client.xml to common.xml and be done with it? The player won't have actual hard copies of the mod's on their computers? Because basically, my Iron Kingdoms games will only be using my version of the d20basicrules.mod, d20monsters.mod, and d20spells.mod. The only one I will be keeping intact is the d20magicitems.mod, but thats up in the air still (thinking about including the Mechanika Items section in there too). All .mod's will be converted to IK info, so ya, I dont want to step on any copyright toes. Hopefully, once I'm done, there will be no need for the original D20 files.

That's basically the long and short of it yep :)

Belizan
July 14th, 2007, 03:28
Hipo, did you ever contact Morfedel and see what he's done?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5443

Hipocritus
July 16th, 2007, 19:02
Actually, no, i havent. Ill shoot him a mesage. Thanks for the link.