PDA

View Full Version : Layer Visibility Reveal Order

RobboNJ69
April 1st, 2021, 05:10
In FGU.
I noticed when you have a hidden image on a map, such as a trap or a 'hidden' glyph on a floor, and you toggle the visibility, the status goes from Invisible > Visible to All > Visible to GM.

I'm trying to understand the logic behind that order. In my game, I had an image that was set to invisible, then when I wanted to make sure it was in the right location, I couldn't make it visible without revealing it to the players. It would seem to be more helpful to go from Invisible > Visible GM > Visible All, that way you could move reveal it just to you without tipping your hand to the players.

As a second part, it would be great if the GM Visibility would be muted or faded so you could see it, but know the players could not. How is everybody else working with this? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

jwatmough
April 1st, 2021, 06:01
Most often, if I have a layer that I will reveal to players during a play session that needs to be created in advance, I will keep that layer visible to GM only and reduce the opacity of the layer. You can then make all of your adjustments and, once ready, cycle the visibility to visible to all.

DireGnome
April 1st, 2021, 13:06
Most often, if I have a layer that I will reveal to players during a play session that needs to be created in advance, I will keep that layer visible to GM only and reduce the opacity of the layer. You can then make all of your adjustments and, once ready, cycle the visibility to visible to all.

That seems like a good work around but I think RobboNJ69 has a good point. It would make more sense and be more user friendly if the order was changed.

RobboNJ69
April 1st, 2021, 14:25

jwatmough - Thanks for the idea. I actually didn't realize you could drop the opacity of an image like that. I thought it was just for items drawn or the grid. That helps as a workaround. I think the order changing would make things even better if combined with your suggestion.

Kelrugem
April 1st, 2021, 14:45
it may be better to have two toggles in that case. One for its visibility (visible/invisibile) and one for whether it is visible only for the GM (in case it is visible) :) Then one can make things (in)visible as one wishes for GM stuff :)

RobboNJ69
April 1st, 2021, 14:59
it may be better to have two toggles in that case. One for its visibility (visible/invisibile) and one for whether it is visible only for the GM (in case it is visible) :) Then one can make things (in)visible as one wishes for GM stuff :)

That, Dr. Dr. Kelrugem, would be perfect!

Kelrugem
April 1st, 2021, 15:03
That, Dr. Dr. Kelrugem, would be perfect!

hehe ;)