PDA

View Full Version : Sharing information with users...

mearrin69
July 9th, 2007, 19:00
Hi all,
As I've been getting into FGII modification I've had a couple of ideas I want to explore - and get some feedback from people who have more experience with ruleset mods than I.

One idea regards sharing information from GM 'sheets' with players - I mean here the adventure_???.xml items. So, in the item chest sheet, the GM can check a box to change which description the player sees when the sheet is shared (a quick description or a full description depending on whether the item has been identified. What I wonder is if you could give a client access to the entire collection of items and then make them show up conditionally - they get a desktop panel for items but the ones in the list are only there if the GM has checked a flag that lets them see them.

For instance, create a client view of the NPC list and, as they meet the NPCs the GM clicks a 'hasmet' flag that makes a given NPC visible to the player in their list. Then, when they open the NPC they get access to the appropriate information in a custom view (i.e. not the combat stats). So, instead of having to share each sheet individually, the player would basically have their own database of characters they have met.

The other idea is probably easier. Let's say you make an item in the item chest an "Item of Legacy"tm :) and include information about that item by knowledge(x) DC. So, maybe you've got five levels of increasingly detailed information about that item, ranging from DC 15 to DC 35. For each one, you can check a flag that makes that level of information visible when the sheet is shared. I think this could be done with a variation of the way 'isidentified' is already handled in the item system. Any thoughts?

Not sure if I've described the idea clearly so let me know if you need me to clear something up. I'll be trying some of these ideas out as I go and will let you know how they turn out - but if you have some ideas, code, questions, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
M

joshuha
July 9th, 2007, 19:06
Yes on both. Will involve a little but of LUA code but basically on the windowcontrols (or the windowlist items in your second example) you put some conditional sharing of the windowinstance in the onInit() function.

It will be a little work to check other checkboxs to verify if the window/listitem should be shared but doable.

mearrin69
July 9th, 2007, 20:45
Thanks, joshuha. I think I know how to go about it...starting to figure out the XML/Lua thing.

For my Star Wars SE ruleset I am planning to create at least a couple of additional 'stacks' of structured items (systems and vehicles to start) and I'd like at least certain aspects of those to be shareable with the players.

While I'm asking, is there an easy way of putting an image field onto, say, the item sheet or do I just have to put a link to an image in the image list? Haven't gotten around to trying this yet but I'd like to, for instance, put a picture of Coruscant into its sheet or an image of Yoda on his NPC sheet.

Thanks for the help!
M

joshuha
July 9th, 2007, 21:09
The easy and clean way IMO:

Declare them as icon resources and use a genericcontrol with that image set as the icon.