PDA

View Full Version : 5E Automatic Effects

Pages : 1 [2]

ddavison
September 12th, 2021, 21:15
The thread is temporarily locked while I clean it up and contact people. Jumping into another person's thread about their products to disparage them or start arguments is not something we condone on this forum and repeated attempts to do so will lead to bans.

ddavison
September 12th, 2021, 21:42
The thread is now reopened. If you have something negative to say about someone else on the forums, just move along and keep that to yourself.

Aridhro
September 12th, 2021, 21:45
The thread is now reopened. If you have something negative to say about someone else on the forums, just move along and keep that to yourself.

Thank you Doug. Most appreciated.

Aridhro
September 13th, 2021, 22:30
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/544951685668143125/887077669185945650/SPOILER_VRGtR_promo.jpg

Leprekorn
September 14th, 2021, 06:11
You are amazing

ghen
September 14th, 2021, 17:29
That was fast!

Aridhro
September 14th, 2021, 18:18
the next release in our 5e Automatic Effects series is live!

5E Automatic Effects - Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft

Description: Instantly add effects for all class features, racial traits, items, and monsters found in 5e Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft! The 5E Automatic Effects is a series of modules to aid Game Masters and Players by automatically adding coding effects in the 5e D&D ruleset on the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop platform.

Product Link: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/370826/5E-Automatic-Effects--Van-Richtens-Guide-to-Ravenloft-Fantasy-Grounds?affiliate_id=3083538

Complete your 5eAE bundle and save 20%!

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/544951685668143125/887370747985682512/VRGtR_Cover.jpg?width=703&height=910

SilentRuin
September 14th, 2021, 18:20
Aridhro likes to keep updates secret so only Grim Press readers can get them ;) So hint, check your DMsG for updates to the existing versions as they have been updated.

(sigh) Really Aridhro, I try to teach you to give FG forums a heads up on these things - but alas, in vain ;)

Updating an existing page with info won't trigger an update to this thread after all. Only a new post. Like this!

Aridhro
September 14th, 2021, 18:32
Aridhro likes to keep updates secret so only Grim Press readers can get them ;) So hint, check your DMsG for updates to the existing versions as they have been updated.

(sigh) Really Aridhro, I try to teach you to give FG forums a heads up on these things - but alas, in vain ;)

Updating an existing page with info won't trigger an update to this thread after all. Only a new post. Like this!

report, report !!! intruder !! ....

Oh, and yes following were updated:
- 5eAE Player's Handbook
- 5eAE Monster Manual
- 5eAE Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
- 5eAE Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

Snowene
September 16th, 2021, 21:51
question for Aridhro regarding 5eAE for Xanathar's Guide to Everything, was helping one of my warlock players set up his character and can't seem to locate any of the Eldritch Invocations that are added in Xanathar's, just the original 32. Have all of the modules loaded and don't seem to find them at all. Am I just missing them someplace or are those not added in? I apologize if this was covered somewhere already as my forum searching skills are terrible.

Aridhro
September 17th, 2021, 07:56
question for Aridhro regarding 5eAE for Xanathar's Guide to Everything, was helping one of my warlock players set up his character and can't seem to locate any of the Eldritch Invocations that are added in Xanathar's, just the original 32. Have all of the modules loaded and don't seem to find them at all. Am I just missing them someplace or are those not added in? I apologize if this was covered somewhere already as my forum searching skills are terrible.

Good catch Snowene. I have work to do :o
Focused on the archetypes, I overlooked the Xanathar option in the warlock feature list.
I'll try to make these tonight.
I see the same, some missing and some new invocations in the list. Probably best to make a new list under Eldritch Invocations (Xanathar).
Thanks for this valuable feedback.

TheoGeek
September 17th, 2021, 08:03
I just found an issue with the way my Nat20 extension works with effects. Until these Automatic Effects, I always added multiple effects (like damage effects) separately instead of all as one clause. Thanks to this extension, I created a sword with multiple critical damage effects - 1d4 on a normal critical hit, 1d6 on a nat20, and created those effects with one custom effect. That uncovered a bug in the way the Nat20 extension handled multiple "special" criticals in the same effect.

I'm working on a fix and it should be updated in on the forge on the 17th.

So, double thanks! Not only for your awesome mod, but your awesome mod uncovering an error in my Nat 20 extension. :)

Aridhro
September 17th, 2021, 08:19
I just found an issue with the way my Nat20 extension works with effects. Until these Automatic Effects, I always added multiple effects (like damage effects) separately instead of all as one clause. Thanks to this extension, I created a sword with multiple critical damage effects - 1d4 on a normal critical hit, 1d6 on a nat20, and created those effects with one custom effect. That uncovered a bug in the way the Nat20 extension handled multiple "special" criticals in the same effect.

I'm working on a fix and it should be updated in on the forge on the 17th.

So, double thanks! Not only for your awesome mod, but your awesome mod uncovering an error in my Nat 20 extension. :)

Glad to help :)
The moment I start with my 3rd party extension update, I'll contact you. Do you happpen to know where your extension is useful for official 5e features/items? I'm positive I've encountered some features with different damage dices on crit, but can't remember where.

TheoGeek
September 17th, 2021, 08:32
The Nat20 extension adds new "special" critical damage types - "nat20" (for a natural 20), "normalcrit" (for non-nat20 criticals), and "supercrit" (for crits that penetrate crit immune targets).

So, for example, a sword of sharpness only applies extra damage on a natural 20, not a mere critical. Some actors have a crit range of say 18-20, and without the Nat20 extension, a sword of sharpness would apply the extra 14 damage on an 18, 19, or 20 when it is only supposed to apply the 14 damage on a natural 20. So, adding an effect of "DMG: 14 nat20" causes the Nat20 extension to only include that damage if the attack roll was a natural 20.

I don't think there are any official 5E things that would use either "normalcrit" or "supercrit", but they are fun to play around with so I added them. :)

Aridhro
September 17th, 2021, 10:55
The Nat20 extension adds new "special" critical damage types - "nat20" (for a natural 20), "normalcrit" (for non-nat20 criticals), and "supercrit" (for crits that penetrate crit immune targets).

So, for example, a sword of sharpness only applies extra damage on a natural 20, not a mere critical. Some actors have a crit range of say 18-20, and without the Nat20 extension, a sword of sharpness would apply the extra 14 damage on an 18, 19, or 20 when it is only supposed to apply the 14 damage on a natural 20. So, adding an effect of "DMG: 14 nat20" causes the Nat20 extension to only include that damage if the attack roll was a natural 20.

I don't think there are any official 5E things that would use either "normalcrit" or "supercrit", but they are fun to play around with so I added them. :)

Then that is my first addition to my 'test' 3rd party effects mod. Don't expect anything before the end of this year, as I first need to complete some core books for 5eAE and check the most interesting extensions.

Aridhro
September 18th, 2021, 22:14

The Eldritch Invocations have been updated for Xanathar and PHB. Find the latest versions on DMsGuild

knorbet77
September 19th, 2021, 07:34
I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, or whether it is a quirk of DMsGuild, but FYI the names of both of these mods now have an underscore before the "S" (ie Players_s_Handbook... and Xanathar_s_Guide...) where as they did not before this update. It's easy enough to rename, but it does mean that if you don't notice it, you will not see the updates if you had the old version activated.

Aridhro
September 19th, 2021, 09:35
I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, or whether it is a quirk of DMsGuild, but FYI the names of both of these mods now have an underscore before the "S" (ie Players_s_Handbook... and Xanathar_s_Guide...) where as they did not before this update. It's easy enough to rename, but it does mean that if you don't notice it, you will not see the updates if you had the old version activated.

Thanks for telling. Will look into it

graphil
September 19th, 2021, 12:33
Ignore was doing something wrong

Aridhro
September 20th, 2021, 15:36

The _s have been replaced by 's, like it was before.

Aridhro
October 8th, 2021, 20:42
We just wanted to let you know about a significant change in the next release of 5E Automatic Effects.

Why the change?
As we continue to expand the project and add new effects and new books, we're a little limited by the order in which Fantasy Grounds will load modules. This load order determines which entries get prioritization if there is ever a naming conflict. Although we've been able to work with it so far, our upcoming plans will be hampered by this limitation. It's time to bite the bullet, make the change, and establish a more robust framework for the future.
What's changing?
With the next release of 5E Automatic Effects, you will notice that the names of the modules have changed. Although the filenames have remained the same, the internal name now has a numeric prefix. This additional number will allow us to sort the modules in the preferred order. Core rule books will have a higher weight than supplements, who in turn will have a higher weight than adventures.

How does this affect me?
Hopefully very little. New campaigns and new characters won't even notice the change. Everything will just work as expected. For existing campaigns and characters which are already using effects, they may need to be replaced. This is because all actions on the character sheet are actually copies of the original effect. If an effect has a link to another 5eAE resource, that link will still point to the original name, not the revised name.

For example, if your character has the spell 'Flaming Sphere', the spell contains a link to a NPC which can be used as part of the effect. The link text is "NPC: Flaming Sphere (Arcane Object)(5eAE)". Under the hood, that link is pointing to the module with the internal name of "5E Automatic Effects Player's Handbook". That copy of the spell doesn't know to look for the new name of "5E Automatic Effects 0.1: Player's Handbook"

What do I need to do?
You have a couple of options:

1) Nuke it from orbit. If you're using Equipped Effects, you can simply remove all effects from all character sheets. Then remove the character from the combat track and put it back. EE will replace all of the missing effects. While this seems like a quick and dirty method, it won't properly handle the character's spell choices, and you'll be better off with options 2 or 3. Probably better for lower level campaigns without a lot of spells.

2) Swap as you go. If you or a player gets a module load warning that the module is not loaded - a) Close the warning. b) Delete the effect from the character sheet c) Drag a replacement copy from the spell. This method requires the least advanced work, but there will be brief interruption to your game while you resolve the issue. This is probably the preferred method because you only have to deal with the effects that are actually in use and actually have the conflict

3) Advanced Scouting. You'll use the same process as option 2, but you'll do it ahead of time. Open each link to an effect on the character's actions tab. Look at the detail description and see if there are any supplementary links pointing to something with the (5eAE) suffix. If so, delete and replace that effect on the sheet. This method prevents any interruption to game play, however brief, but does require more up front work.

What's next?
5eAE continues to grow and mature. First off, we didn't want you to think that we were only giving you potentially bad news. As part of the next release, you will also notice that spells, scrolls, invocations, etc. now have a more detailed spell summary on them. This is a great way to see at a glance what a spell does. For those of you who prefer the summary view of your powers on the character sheet, this will be amazing for you.

After a very close vote by the community, the next book to be covered will be "Eberron: Rising of the Last War", and is currently in production.

Beyond that, we're not quite ready to share any more than this - there's a reason we needed to make sure that core books loaded before adventures.

Aridhro
October 12th, 2021, 21:16
Hi,

Just wanted to provide an update on the upcoming 5E Automatic Effects module naming change that was announced last week.

That update has now gone live! There weren't many questions last time, but if you have any now that you've actually gotten a copy in your hands, please feel free to let us know.

But that's not all. Hopefully you've seen that v1.39 of Equipped Effects was released earlier today. SilentRuin has helped 5eAE overcome a hurdle that we've been struggling with -- naming conflicts. Believe it or not, computers are stupid. They do exactly what you tell them to do. In this case, if two (or more) different NPCs had the same power name, but the power did different things, there would be a conflict.

Depending on which order the books were loaded, you might get the first ability or your might get the second. This was a secondary reason that 5eAE is getting the new names. We've been working on this for a few weeks.
5eAE has always had a work around, but it was a manual one. Did you know that in the 5eAE MM module, there are dozens of custom NPCs and powers that all have a * after their name? One of these had to be created for every time there was a conflict! What's worse, is that it required the DM to 1) recognize there was a conflict and b) replace the NPC with the star version.

We're pretty sure that most DMs simply saw the effect on the combat tracker and went with it - never realizing there was a mistake. Unfortunately, this might mean your Doppelganger was only doing 2d6 with it's "Surprise Attack" instead of 3d6, because it was using the "Surprise Attack" which was designed for the Bugbear.

That's going to be a thing of the past.. With the new EE functionality, the star NPCs and star powers are going away. Instead, there will now be a "surprise attack_bugbear" and a "surprise attack_doppelganger". When you add the normal NPC, it will get the correct power every time.

You want to see how many potential conflicts there are on just "surprise attack"? Check out https://www.dndbeyond.com/search?q=%22surprise%20attack%22. Don't even get me started on how many different NPCs use "Illumination" AND have different light distances.
This change clear that logjam. Not only will it increase the accuracy of the existing NPC to power matching, but it allows for additional powers to be created on NPCs which previously weren't really possible without a lot of additional work-arounds.. You'll be hearing more about that in the future.

For compatibility, since we're just announcing this change with the live version, the star version NPCs and powers still exist in the module. They will be removed in an upcoming release.

Aridhro
October 12th, 2021, 21:23
All 5eAE books got an update on DMsGuild.
Keep in mind the things we discussed in previous post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects&p=622608&viewfull=1#post622608)
If you want to see what is possible with the new EE v1.39 update, add one of the Aberrations from the monster manual to your combat tracker. Those are already created regarding the new npc spell/effect formula.
If you haven't got the 5eAE Monster Manual yet and you want to get it, find it here (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/359814/5E-Automatic-Effects--Monster-Manual-Fantasy-Grounds?affiliate_id=158753)
Have fun!

Aridhro
October 12th, 2021, 22:51
The latest updates:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/897601635180761098/897601656861106176/unknown.png

SilentRuin
October 13th, 2021, 16:06
Speaking from experience, I know DATA is the worst to maintain as there are always conflicts in how WOTC and their different modules over time define things with the same names that actually do different things.

Users probably won't even notice your "above and beyond" support of these data sets.

The amount of work to keep trying to refine your data and how it interacts to resolve these conflicts, without some firestorm of demands to do so, for no additional fee for the existing things you modify...

You be crazy.

A good kind of crazy, but crazy never the less ;)

dpezet
October 14th, 2021, 02:16
My players have saved the world three times over. However, it still seems like nothing compared to the amazing work you all have done. Everyone associated with this project is a true hero.

Aridhro
October 15th, 2021, 13:41
Speaking from experience, I know DATA is the worst to maintain as there are always conflicts in how WOTC and their different modules over time define things with the same names that actually do different things.

Users probably won't even notice your "above and beyond" support of these data sets.

The amount of work to keep trying to refine your data and how it interacts to resolve these conflicts, without some firestorm of demands to do so, for no additional fee for the existing things you modify...

You be crazy.

A good kind of crazy, but crazy never the less ;)

Seen the work Larian Studios put into Baldur's Gate 3?
I think that kind of crazy is a bit of a Belgian feature.
Thanks SilentRuin, I had a great mentor: what was the current EE version, 39??

Aridhro
October 15th, 2021, 13:42
My players have saved the world three times over. However, it still seems like nothing compared to the amazing work you all have done. Everyone associated with this project is a true hero.

Thanks dpezet! Comments like that keep us going!

Aridhro
October 18th, 2021, 19:17
5E Automatic Effects - Lost Mine of Phandelver
Authors: WeezelD , Aridhro

Grim Press is proud to expand its 5E Automatic Effects product line with the introduction of adventure effects!

5eAE adventure effects are designed to enhance the GM experience for specific modules. Built on the foundation of 5eAE's core book effects, they also include unique effects for the magic items and NPCs which are specific to that adventure and aren't included elsewhere. Adventure effects do not require any other 5eAE product to function and are fully standalone. A GM simply needs the adventure itself and the corresponding adventure effects module.

For full automation, it's essential to own the Equipped Effects extension (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/158/view)

5E Automatic Effects - Lost Mine of Phandelver is the first of these adventure effects modules and includes over 100 effects to augment your LMoP campaign. This supplement is a great way to learn more about how 5E Automatic Effects will enhance your Fantasy Grounds game play, bringing almost effortless effects management to GMs and players.

If you are an existing 5eAE customer, adventure modules will complement your existing effects library and work together without any conflict.

This new 5eAE adventure effect module is now available:
5E Automatic Effects Lost Mine of Phandelver Fantasy Grounds (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/374340/5E-Automatic-Effects--Lost-Mine-of-Phandelver-Fantasy-Grounds?affiliate_id=158753)

Aridhro
October 28th, 2021, 07:56
The following 5eAE mods had an update (some minor ones were left out and MM is slowly expanding with EE's new name_npc effects):
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/544951685668143125/903176311147745300/unknown.png

amanwing
November 17th, 2021, 09:14
Will this product be available through the forge?

Leprekorn
November 17th, 2021, 09:45
No only through DMsGuild atm

Aridhro
November 17th, 2021, 10:14
Will this product be available through the forge?

Because I use D&D IP, it Cannot be made available outside DMsGuild. So, the modules will never be on Forge.

Aridhro
November 25th, 2021, 08:31
Update: 5eAE Eberron: Rising from the Last War: Soon™
:rv:

Aridhro
November 26th, 2021, 16:19
the next release in our 5e Automatic Effects series is live!

5E Automatic Effects - Eberron Rising from the Last War

Description: Instantly add effects for all class features, racial traits, feats, items, and monster traits found in Eberron: Rising from the Last War! The 5E Automatic Effects is a series of modules to aid Game Masters and Players by automatically adding coding effects in the 5e D&D ruleset on the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop platform.

Product Link: 5E Automatic Effects - Eberron: Rising from the Last War (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/378460/5E-Automatic-Effects--Eberron-Rising-from-the-Last-War-Fantasy-Grounds?affiliate_id=158753)

Complete your 5eAE bundle (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352166/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Automatic-Effects--All-Rule-Books-BUNDLE&affiliate_id=158753) and save 20%!

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/544951685668143125/913824244138393671/378460.png?width=703&height=910

Aridhro
November 26th, 2021, 16:46
The bundle is taken down, due to issues with DMsGuild Black Friday sales:
You can use following discount code to complete your bundle with Eberron: Rising from the Last War:
https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?discount=90d21e37ae&affiliate_id=158753 (expires Nov, 30th)

EDIT:
The bundle is back:
5eAE All Rule Books Bundle (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352166/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Automatic-Effects--All-Rule-Books-BUNDLE&affiliate_id=158753)

Aridhro
November 26th, 2021, 16:56
And the latest updates:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/544951685668143125/913834790904557568/updates_2021-11-26.JPG?width=972&height=250

Aridhro
November 29th, 2021, 10:29
The bundle is back online:
5eAE All Rule Books Bundle (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352166/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Automatic-Effects--All-Rule-Books-BUNDLE&affiliate_id=158753)

Aridhro
December 29th, 2021, 08:51
The latest update (last week) for Character Wizard, hardcoded the official PHB spells, so it doesn't generate the 5eAE versions anymore.
SilentRuin worked out a solution, but he added it to his free extension called Advantage (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/9/view)
The extension has an option, which is defaulted to ON.
This update isn't part of equipped effects due to the risk overriding this section and hopefully a temporary issue for CW.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/914255095091314719/925669965145710622/unknown.png
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/914255095091314719/925671097951719474/unknown.png

Yozen
January 21st, 2022, 08:50
Hey, great work on this!

Is there any planned support for items found in the SRD?

Leprekorn
January 21st, 2022, 09:16
It should work with the srd

Aridhro
January 21st, 2022, 11:21
Hey, thanks
Are there any items, features or spells not available in PHB? If they have the same name, all works identical. Only the link to SRD module isn't supported, but the effects will work as intended.

Yozen
January 21st, 2022, 12:25
I must be doing something wrong. For example the [weapons] of giant slaying that I see in the youtube videos, this does not work for me like it does in the videos. But other items, like the moon sickle, in other books do. I narrowed it down that items found in the SRD modules were not benefiting from your mod.
Am i dumb? i feel like i am missing an obvious step somewhere.

Thanks for any help

Aridhro
January 21st, 2022, 13:33
I must be doing something wrong. For example the [weapons] of giant slaying that I see in the youtube videos, this does not work for me like it does in the videos. But other items, like the moon sickle, in other books do. I narrowed it down that items found in the SRD modules were not benefiting from your mod.
Am i dumb? i feel like i am missing an obvious step somewhere.

Thanks for any help

I guess I know the reason:
- PHB uses item templates, while SRD probably doesn't (edit: SRD does use templates and it works as intended, see next post)
- My weapons and armor coding effects support the item template, because making them for all specific weapons would mean 20+ copies.

You could solve it by making a copy of the giant slaying power (drag and drop it in the spell list) and rename it to the exact name your item has. Then it will work.
If a weapon also has a custom effect, you'll need to rename the custom effects label, which is the first part of the effect (before the first semi-colon)
I'll start up FG to give you a more specific answer.

Aridhro
January 21st, 2022, 13:50
My first guess seams wrong.
I think you forgot something else.
Have you identified and attuned the item (if needed)?
Looks like the srd items I used work as intended with the DMG mod.

Yozen
January 21st, 2022, 14:35
Ah, the missing link was loading your DMG mod. I didn't load it because I don't own that book in FG. Once i loaded your DMG mod, everything worked as expected.

I knew it was some tiny detail i was missing. Thank you for your help!

Aridhro
January 21st, 2022, 15:59
Ah, the missing link was loading your DMG mod. I didn't load it because I don't own that book in FG. Once i loaded your DMG mod, everything worked as expected.

I knew it was some tiny detail i was missing. Thank you for your help!

Glad I could help

TheoGeek
January 22nd, 2022, 04:27
Hey Aridrho!

First off...LOVING this module, I use it all the time!

I'm wanting to modify some of the effects and was wondering if there are any "best practices". For example, a sun blade. You have the "LIGHT: 15 FBFDB3" effect in there, but I want to use the falloff capability of FGU and change it to "LIGHT: 15/30 FBFDB3". Should I just update the existing effect or create a new one? And it's got an associated power (spell) that needs to be updated too, right (for Equipped Effects).

I've seen some advocate for both changing the existing effect and some advocate for copying to a new one and changing the name (like appending a * to it), but it seems like copying the original effect to a new one doesn't require changing the name (it's like if EE has an order it looks at like "localfirst then module" or something.)

Just wondering if there is a "recommended" way to do it.

Thanks again!
Jeff.

MrDDT
January 22nd, 2022, 05:55
Hey Aridrho!

I'm wanting to modify some of the effects and was wondering if there are any "best practices". For example, a sun blade. You have the "LIGHT: 15 FBFDB3" effect in there, but I want to use the falloff capability of FGU and change it to "LIGHT: 15/30 FBFDB3". Should I just update the existing effect or create a new one? And it's got an associated power (spell) that needs to be updated too, right (for Equipped Effects).

I've seen some advocate for both changing the existing effect and some advocate for copying to a new one and changing the name (like appending a * to it), but it seems like copying the original effect to a new one doesn't require changing the name (it's like if EE has an order it looks at like "localfirst then module" or something.)

Thanks again!
Jeff.

EE does look for campaign local first.

TheoGeek
January 22nd, 2022, 06:14
EE does look for campaign local first.

Good to know...thanks!

Aridhro
January 22nd, 2022, 17:57
Hey Aridrho!

Thanks again!
Jeff.

LIGHT: 15 FBFDB3 is exactly the same as LIGHT: 15/30 FBFDB3. The fall off is auto calculated if you use one number.
Best to copy to your db and rename it. It will be selected first, as MrDDT mentioned.

Aridhro
January 22nd, 2022, 18:06
Super exciting news!!

Thanks to a fantastic collaboration with Ryan and Me&Unique, I had the great opportunity to finetune 5eAE automatic effects with the effects they created for their extension:
- Better Combat Effects Gold by Ryan Rhagelstrom (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/155/view) ,
- Better Combat Effects by R. Rhagelstrom (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/76/view)
- Constitutional Amendments by MeAndUnique (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/42/view),
- Blissful Ignorance by MeAndUnique (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/429/view),
- Size Matters by MeAndUnique (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/455/view), and
- Kit'N'Kaboodle by MeAndUnique (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/41/view)

Atm, I finished MM's update and the spells from PHB, but I will update all my products, while continuing to work with Ryan and Me&Unique to finetune everything as good as possible. Check out my updated products in your library or buy them using the following links:
- 5E Automatic Effects Bundle (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352166/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Automatic-Effects--All-Rule-Books-BUNDLE&affiliate_id=158753) (20% discount)
- 5E Automatic Effects Player's Handbook (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352162/5E-Automatic-Effects--Players-Handbook-Fantasy-Grounds?affiliate_id=158753) (EXT SUPPORT UPDATE: Spells)
- 5E Automatic Effects Monster Manual (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/359814/5E-Automatic-Effects--Monster-Manual-Fantasy-Grounds?affiliate_id=158753) (EXT SUPPORT UPDATE: 100% Completion)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/544951685668143125/934508202207375431/unknown.png?width=511&height=662

Aridhro
January 22nd, 2022, 19:03
Better Combat Effects Gold integration

This modules will supports effects coding created by Ryan Hagelstrom for the extension Better Combat Effects Gold, available on the Fantasy Grounds Forge:
Better Combat Effects Gold (FG Forge) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/155/view)
These packages are made with the Better Combat Effects Gold version in mind.
By using the free version of Better Combat Effects, you can benefit from a limited amount of effects, supported by the free version:
Better Combat Effects (FG Forge) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/76/view)

Turn Modifiers

*TURNAS will cause an effect to ACTIVATE on the START of the PC/NPC turn.
*TURNDS will cause an effect to DEACTIVATE on the START of the PC/NPC turn.
*TURNRS will cause the effect to be REMOVED on the START of the PC/NPC turn if current duration is 1.
*TURNAE will cause an effect to ACTIVATE on the END of the PC/NPC turn.
*TURNDE will cause an effect to DEACTIVATE on the END of the PC/NPC turn.
*TURNRE will cause the effect to be REMOVED at the END of the PC/NPC turn if current duration is 1.
*STURNRS will cause the effect to be REMOVED on the START of the source of the effects turn if current duration is 1.
*STURNRE will cause the effect to be REMOVED on the END of the source of the effects turn if current duration is 1.
*(DE) will cause the effect to be disabled when added to the CT

Rest Tags

*RESTL , for long rest and RESTS for short rest. These tags will REMOVE an effect on short rest or long rest. Effects with RESTS will also be removed on long rest.

Automatic Ability Score

*Items that adjust an ability score to a number. Item of Giant Strength, Headband of Intellect, are automatically calculated when added to the PC/NPC on the combat tracker if they use the -X format . The effect will need to be deleted the effect and re-added it on an ASI to have the value recalculated.
*Additionally, effects that use ability score modifiers in the format [ ABILITYSCORE ] are handled automatically. The score between [ ] or ( ) is replaced with the correct modifier

STACK

*Multiple identical effects are now ignored. If a PC/NPC is poisoned, it won't be poisoned again. This however can be overridden with the STACK tag for effects that need to stack such as a shadow's Strength Drain. The ignore duplicates can be disabled in the options menu.

Dice in Effect

*Adding effect with a dice string automatically rolls the dice when the effect is applied. Only die that modify ability scores (STR,DEX,CON,WIS,INT,CHA) will be rolled: STR: (N)

Damage Modifiers

*DMGAT: (N) [damage type(s)][Range] will cause an effect to ACTIVATE when the PC/NPC takes damage.
*DMGDT: (N) [damage type(s)][Range] will cause an effect to DEACTIVATE when the PC/NPC takes damage.
*DMGRT: (N) [damage type(s)][Range] The effect will be REMOVED from the PC/NPC if they take damage.

Dynamic Effect Duration

*DUR: (N) Sets the duration of the effect when the effect is applied. (N) can be number or dice string

Ongoing Damage Modifiers

*DMGA: (N) [damage type] Apply damage when the effect is added (N) can be number or dice string
*DMGOE: (N) [damage type] Apply ongoing damage at the end of the actors turn. (N) can be number or dice string
*SDMGOS: (N) [damage type] Apply ongoing damage at the start of the actors turn who applied the effect. (N) can be number or dice string
*SDMGOE: (N) [damage type] Apply ongoing damage at the end of the actors turn who applied the effect. (N) can be number or dice string

Ongoing Regeneration Modifiers

*REGENA (N) Apply one time regeneration when the effect is added. (N) can be number or dice string
*REGENE: (N) Apply regeneration at the end of the actors turn. (N) can be number or dice string
*SREGENS (N) Apply regeneration at the start of the actors turn who applied the effect. (N) can be number or dice string
*SREGENE (N) Apply regeneration at the end of the actors turn who applied the effect. (N) can be number or dice string
*TREGENA (N) Apply one time regeneration to temporary HP when the effect is added. (N) can be number or dice string
*TREGENS (N) Apply regeneration to temporary HP at the start of the actors turn. (N) can be number or dice string
*TREGENE (N) Apply regeneration to temporary HP at the end of the actors turn. (N) can be number or dice string
*STREGENS (N) Apply regeneration to temporary HP at the start of the actors turn who applied the effect. (N) can be number or dice string
*STREGENE (N) Apply regeneration to temporary HP at the end of the actors turn who applied the effect. (N) can be number or dice string

Ongoing Save Modifiers

*SAVES: [ability] [SDC] Roll save at the start of turn.
*SSAVES: [ability] [SDC] Roll save at the start of the actors turn who applied this effect
*SAVEE: [ability] [SDC] Roll save at the end of turn.
*SSAVEE: [ability] [SDC] Roll save at the end of the actors turn who applied this effect
*SAVEA: [ability] [SDC] Automatically roll save when the effect is added.
*SAVEDMG: (N) [damage type] Damage done on a failed ongoing save. (N) can be number or dice string.
*SAVEADD: (N) [effect] Add Effect from custom effects list or conditions table on a failed ongoing save. If (N), the save must fail by (N) or more to activate. If (-N) the result must be N or less to activate
*SAVEADDP: [effect] Add Effect from custom effects list or conditions table on a passed ongoing save.
*SAVEONDMG: [ability] [SDC] Roll save when the actor takes damage
*SAVERESTL: [ability] [SDC] Roll save at on long rest (5E only)
*(R) will remove the save effect on a successful save.
*(D) will disable the save effect on a successful save.
*(H) will deal half damage on a successful ongoing save.
*(M) will indicate this is magical so any creature will magic resistance will gain proper advantage on the save.
*(F) will invert the roll. SAVEDMG, (R), (D), (H) will be performed on a failed save rather than successful one.
*(ADV) will have advantage on this save.
*(DIS) will have disadvantage on this save.

Damage Reduction

*DMGR: (N) [damage type(s)][Range] Reduce the damage taken by the specified damage type(s) by (N).

Other

*EFFINIT: (N) Add an effect with initiative number (N)
*[SDC] When an effect with [SDC] is applied from a PC/NPC, [SDC] will be replaced with the PC/NPCs spell save DC based off of its spellcasting ability.
*DC: (N) If the actor has the effect DC, (N) will be added to the [SDC] when [SDC] is automatically replaced. (N) can be any number
*(E) If the source of the effect drops to zero hit points, then this effect will be removed

On Attack

*ATKD Disable this effect when the actor takes the attack action.
*ATKA Enable this effect when the actor takes the attack action.
*ATKR Remove this effect when the actor takes the attack action.

Save vs Condition

*Saves against conditions will automatically be granted adv/dis based on the traits of the actor making the saving throw. The parser will match traits with the following verbiage: words ... {advantage,disadvantage} ... words ... {saves,saving throw} ... words ... {condition(s)} ... words
*ADVCOND: [condition] or [all] Grant advantage on a save by this actor against the defined condition
*DISCOND: [condition] or [all] Grant disadvantage on a save by this actor against the defined condition

No Rest for the Weary

*NOREST Actor will not gain the benefit of a short or long rest. Note: Will not prevent the actor from rolling Hit Dice
*NORESTL Actor will not gain the benefit of a long rest Note: Will not prevent the actor from rolling Hit Dice

No Rest for the Weary

*NOREST Actor will not gain the benefit of a short or long rest. Note: Will not prevent the actor from rolling Hit Dice
*NORESTL Actor will not gain the benefit of a long rest Note: Will not prevent the actor from rolling Hit Dice

Aridhro
January 22nd, 2022, 19:06
Constitutional Amendments integration

The modules will supports effects coding created by MeAndUnique (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/9/view-profile) for the extension Constitutional Amendments, available on the Fantasy Grounds Forge:

Constitutional Amendments (FG Forge) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/42/view)

The following code is supported. Check the link above for more details.

Damage types:

*max: The target's maximum hitpoints are reduced by the damage dealt.
*steal* : The attacker is healed for the damage dealt to the target.
*hsteal: The attacker is healed for half of the damage dealt to the target.
*stealtemp*: The attacker is gains temporary hitpoints equivalent to the damage dealt.
*hstealtemp: The attacker is gains temporary hitpoints equivalent to half of the damage dealt.
*transfer*: The damage is dealt to the attacker and the target is healed by the damage taken.

Effects:

*SHAREDMG: n , and SHAREHEAL: n : Any damage or healing, respectively, that is received by a creature with one of these effects will be shared with another creature, in proportion with n. When the effect is targeted, the target of the effect will receive the shared damage or healing. Then the effect is not targeted, the applier of the effect will receive the shared damage or healing.
*MAXHP: n , which will adjust the total maximum hit points of the bearer by n which can be any number.
*HD: x - Adds when when the hit die is rolled, where x can be dice and numbers.
*HDMULT: n - Causes the result of a hit die roll to be multiplied by n, where n is any number. Note: extra dice added by HD effects are not multiplied, but extra flat numbers are.

Blissful Ignorance Integration

This module supports effects coding created by MeAndUnique for the extension Blissful Ignorance, available on the Fantasy Grounds Forge:

Blissful Ignorance (FG Forge) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/429/view)

The following Effects are supported:

*ABSORB: (n), types - When the target takes damage from one of the provided damage types, they instead are healed for n times the damage. n is optional and defaults to 1.
*IGNORE[R]: types - Damage dealt by the bearer of this effect will ignore R to any of the damage types, where R can be one of ABSORB, IGNORE, RESIST, or VULN.
*[R1]TO[R2]: types - Damage dealt by the bearer of this effect will treat R1 as R2 for any of the damage types, where R1 and R2 may be one of ABSORB, IGNORE, RESIST, or VULN.
*MAKEVULN: types - Damage dealt by the bearer of this effect will treat a creature without any sort of resistance to the damage types as if they were vulnerable.
*REDUCE: n, types - This functions exactly as RESIST: n, except it will also stack with normal resistance. Note: this will not presently stack with RESIST: n.
*UNHEALABLE The bearer of this effect cannot benefit from any healing.

Size Matters Integration

This module supports effects coding created by MeAndUnique for the extension Size Matters, available on the Fantasy Grounds Forge:

Size Matters (FG Forge) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/455/view)

*SIZE: n - Adjusts the bearer n number of size increments. E.g. "SIZE: 2" will turn a small creature into a large creature.
*SIZE: size - Makes the bearer the given size. The allowed values for size are determined by the ruleset (for any ruleset that uses "DataCommon.creaturesize").
*SPACE: n - Sets the bearer's space to n, using the ruleset's unit of distance.
*ADDSPACE: n - Adds n to the bearer's reach, using the ruleset's unit of distance.
*REACH: n - Sets the bearer's reach to n, using the ruleset's unit of distance.
*ADDREACH: n - Adds n to the bearer's reach, using the ruleset's unit of distance.

Aridhro
February 2nd, 2022, 08:01
As I make updates (see posts above) I decided to work on new releases as well.
Just wrapped up Fizban's Treasury of Dragons.
So the release is coming soon!

Leprekorn
February 2nd, 2022, 08:16
Cool

BushViper
February 3rd, 2022, 00:43
For those of you that are reading about this, but yet to take the plunge; I couldn't recommend a single product for FG 5e more than this. It elevates the experience to another level. The benefits of adding support for the other suite of extensions cannot be overstated.

If you play 5e without this package, it's an objectively a worse experience.

MrDDT
February 3rd, 2022, 01:02
Constitutional Amendments integration

The modules will supports effects coding created by MeAndUnique (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/9/view-profile) for the extension Constitutional Amendments, available on the Fantasy Grounds Forge:

Constitutional Amendments (FG Forge) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/42/view)

The following code is supported. Check the link above for more details.

Damage types:

*max: The target's maximum hitpoints are reduced by the damage dealt.
*steal* : The attacker is healed for the damage dealt to the target.
*hsteal: The attacker is healed for half of the damage dealt to the target.
*stealtemp*: The attacker is gains temporary hitpoints equivalent to the damage dealt.
*hstealtemp: The attacker is gains temporary hitpoints equivalent to half of the damage dealt.
*transfer*: The damage is dealt to the attacker and the target is healed by the damage taken.

Effects:

*SHAREDMG: n , and SHAREHEAL: n : Any damage or healing, respectively, that is received by a creature with one of these effects will be shared with another creature, in proportion with n. When the effect is targeted, the target of the effect will receive the shared damage or healing. Then the effect is not targeted, the applier of the effect will receive the shared damage or healing.
*MAXHP: n , which will adjust the total maximum hit points of the bearer by n which can be any number.
*HD: x - Adds when when the hit die is rolled, where x can be dice and numbers.
*HDMULT: n - Causes the result of a hit die roll to be multiplied by n, where n is any number. Note: extra dice added by HD effects are not multiplied, but extra flat numbers are.

Blissful Ignorance Integration

This module supports effects coding created by MeAndUnique for the extension Blissful Ignorance, available on the Fantasy Grounds Forge:

Blissful Ignorance (FG Forge) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/429/view)

The following Effects are supported:

*ABSORB: (n), types - When the target takes damage from one of the provided damage types, they instead are healed for n times the damage. n is optional and defaults to 1.
*IGNORE[R]: types - Damage dealt by the bearer of this effect will ignore R to any of the damage types, where R can be one of ABSORB, IGNORE, RESIST, or VULN.
*[R1]TO[R2]: types - Damage dealt by the bearer of this effect will treat R1 as R2 for any of the damage types, where R1 and R2 may be one of ABSORB, IGNORE, RESIST, or VULN.
*MAKEVULN: types - Damage dealt by the bearer of this effect will treat a creature without any sort of resistance to the damage types as if they were vulnerable.
*REDUCE: n, types - This functions exactly as RESIST: n, except it will also stack with normal resistance. Note: this will not presently stack with RESIST: n.
*UNHEALABLE The bearer of this effect cannot benefit from any healing.

Size Matters Integration

This module supports effects coding created by MeAndUnique for the extension Size Matters, available on the Fantasy Grounds Forge:

Size Matters (FG Forge) (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/455/view)

*SIZE: n - Adjusts the bearer n number of size increments. E.g. "SIZE: 2" will turn a small creature into a large creature.
*SIZE: size - Makes the bearer the given size. The allowed values for size are determined by the ruleset (for any ruleset that uses "DataCommon.creaturesize").
*SPACE: n - Sets the bearer's space to n, using the ruleset's unit of distance.
*ADDSPACE: n - Adds n to the bearer's reach, using the ruleset's unit of distance.
*REACH: n - Sets the bearer's reach to n, using the ruleset's unit of distance.
*ADDREACH: n - Adds n to the bearer's reach, using the ruleset's unit of distance.

This right here is crazy awesome. Not only is 5eAE just a lot of saved work for the DM/Players but adding these other exts with this mod makes this almost a no brainer for 5e DM/players. It turns effects of all sorts of things into just easy reached at your finger tips and make building a character so very easy. Thank you so much for all your hard work and continued to work on this.

Aridhro
February 8th, 2022, 18:34
5E Automatic Effects - Fizban's Treasury of Dragons

Description: Instantly add effects for all spells, class features, racial traits, feats, items, and monsters found in Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons! The 5E Automatic Effects is a series of modules to aid Game Masters and Players by automatically adding coding effects in the 5e D&D ruleset on the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop platform.

DMsGuild Product Link: 5E Automatic Effects - Fizban's Treasury of Dragons (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/386268/5E-Automatic-Effects--Fizbans-Treasury-of-Dragons-Fantasy-Grounds?affiliate_id=158753)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/544951685668143125/940673493622738955/386268.png?width=699&height=905

Leprekorn
February 8th, 2022, 18:35
I don't even own Fizban's and I bought this lol

Aridhro
February 8th, 2022, 18:52
I don't even own Fizban's and I bought this lol

You are the best !!!

Aridhro
February 9th, 2022, 16:37
Searching for the 50% discount code for 5eAE Fizban's Treasury of Dragons Grim Press offers in February:
Here you go:

5eAE Fizban's Treasury of Dragons 50% Discount (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?discount=9ae138ed32&affiliate_id=158753)

After that you can complete the bundle at a 20% discount (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352166/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Automatic-Effects--All-Rule-Books-BUNDLE&affiliate_id=158753)

But don't forget to join Grim Press discord (https://discord.gg/bKHtKeqS) for lots of amazing discounts for all their fantastic products.

ArcaneIllumination
April 2nd, 2022, 21:30
I feel like I'm probably misunderstanding something, but how does the integration with Better Combat Effects Gold work? I have both the Better Combat Effects Gold and the Equipped Effects extensions activated and I have the 5E Automatic Effects modules loaded, but when I give my players something like a Cloak of Displacement, it doesn't have the code from BCEG already on it. Do I have to add that code in myself every time I give one to a player or am I missing something?

Leprekorn
April 2nd, 2022, 21:32
At the moment I believe only players handbook has been updated for BCEG and the rest are being worked through.

MrDDT
April 2nd, 2022, 22:15
I feel like I'm probably misunderstanding something, but how does the integration with Better Combat Effects Gold work? I have both the Better Combat Effects Gold and the Equipped Effects extensions activated and I have the 5E Automatic Effects modules loaded, but when I give my players something like a Cloak of Displacement, it doesn't have the code from BCEG already on it. Do I have to add that code in myself every time I give one to a player or am I missing something?

Cloak of Displacement works with BCEG, EE and 5eAE.

Can you join us on discord and I can help work it out there? It's much easier for me to figure out what the issues are from there as I can give you screenshots and whatnot in much faster real time.

The coding that should already be on it from BCEG, 5eAE would be this for that cloak.

Cloak of Displacement; GRANTDISATK; TURNAS; DMGDT

Aridhro
April 4th, 2022, 06:09

I havent updated DMG yet. Personal reasons keep me from continue the update work atm. But rest assured I haven't given up on them.

lostsanityreturned
May 4th, 2022, 08:58
Not sure if this or Kit'n'Kaboodle would be the right place to mention it.

But it would be extremely handy if once, 1 charge and destroy on last use for potions and scrolls were set.

I am assuming the summary field for the spell entry is what is being used to set the recharge for staves/wands atm?

Edit:
Rations, torches and waterskin too (although I don't destroy the waterskin on use)... slipped my mind as I have them set up as custom items/spell combos.

Aridhro
May 20th, 2022, 13:16
Not sure if this or Kit'n'Kaboodle would be the right place to mention it.

But it would be extremely handy if once, 1 charge and destroy on last use for potions and scrolls were set.

I am assuming the summary field for the spell entry is what is being used to set the recharge for staves/wands atm?

Edit:
Rations, torches and waterskin too (although I don't destroy the waterskin on use)... slipped my mind as I have them set up as custom items/spell combos.

I added the uses for staffs (coded in xml, has nothing to do with the summary) because those are rule based.
For potions, scrolls, the usage is linked to the amount you have in your backpack. I think Me&Unique has some ideas for consumables, but hasn't found time to tackle it.
For now you'll have to set those up yourself, but if some code is needed to work with a consumable system, I would gladly provide.

Aridhro
May 20th, 2022, 13:20
It's been a while, but as from now I am back and ready to create some new content:
- first I'll do some update thanks to some feedback
- secondly I'll start creating the updated effects for Monsters of the Multiverse
- thirdly I'll update the core books with 3rd party effects.
So stay tuned for more 5eAE stuff.

Aridhro
May 25th, 2022, 16:24
Hey everyone, updates from your feedback regarding the 5eAE modules have been uploaded to DMsGuild.
Besides those updates I also changed all Spell Saves to Group DC, instead of 8+Ab+Base. This was needed to work with the new monsters in Mosters of the Multiverse (work in progress).
BCEG updates are still pending and something I like to tackle after the MotM release.
I'm really grateful for all your feedback and support!
Cheers

GrumpyGramp
May 30th, 2022, 21:26
I bought that package on your website, but after downloading it the files are shown to me as MOD files and not EXT. What do I do with them? they do not belong to the extension folder I guess?

Leprekorn
May 30th, 2022, 21:27
You need to put them in your module folder and then enable them via the module window in game.

GrumpyGramp
May 30th, 2022, 22:00
ah, thank you. Is there a video that explains how it actually works? I find the items under spells, but I can not do anything with them

SilentRuin
May 31st, 2022, 05:54
ah, thank you. Is there a video that explains how it actually works? I find the items under spells, but I can not do anything with them

The video on page one is how you use the data.

Aridhro
May 31st, 2022, 21:31

Found the video? Spell Powers should be added to the actions tab to work with. If you want it automated, you'll need equipped effects extension from the FG Forge.

Lo Zeno
June 15th, 2022, 08:09
Hi @Aridhro,
You mentioned that the Monsters of the Multiverse module is still a work in progress, do you have any estimate of how long (roughly) it will be before the release?

Aridhro
June 15th, 2022, 08:27
Hi @Aridhro,
You mentioned that the Monsters of the Multiverse module is still a work in progress, do you have any estimate of how long (roughly) it will be before the release?

I aim for the first half of July (have a little vacation end of June)
My progress atm is:
- All Race traits done
- 100/250 NPCs done
Lots of work, especially since I code it with FG and extension effects.
But I'm getting there.

Lo Zeno
June 15th, 2022, 08:34
My progress atm is:
- All Race traits done
- 100/250 NPCs done
But I'm getting there.

That's way sooner than I expected! Thanks for the quick reply

Aridhro
July 1st, 2022, 12:01
@Zacchaeus has recently created an excellent youtube video series on 5E Effects, which could help you make your own effects or understand the effects I created for the 5E Automatic Effects modules.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvtWYj3HpGj4iBH71CvoRWP2KXD7VlsZ_

Aridhro
July 18th, 2022, 16:23
My progress atm is:
- All Race traits done
- 100/250 NPCs done
But I'm getting there.

Ok, I have to admit my aim was a little bit off, because of some unexpected conditions which granted me disadvantage on my ranged attack roll.
I'll let you know asap if I'm able to hit a new target date.

Aridhro
July 24th, 2022, 20:44
Grim Press is proud to expand its 5E Automatic Effects product line with the continuation of adventure effects!
5E Automatic Effects - Curse of Strahd (5eAE CoS) is the second of these adventure effects modules, created by WeezelD, and includes over 650 effects to augment your CoS campaign. This supplement is a great way to learn more about how 5E Automatic Effects will enhance your Fantasy Grounds game play, bringing almost effortless effects management to GMs and players.

Find it here: 5E-Automatic Effects - Curse of Strahd (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/403951/5E-Automatic-Effects--Curse-of-Strahd-Fantasy-Grounds?affiliate_id=158753)

https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/gOmJUkpdJZzXMMBfrpshFrCmquZcvXuJonvkWic4mDU/https/www.dmsguild.com/images/8957/403951.jpg?width=699&height=905

dmbrown
July 26th, 2022, 18:02
I have a question. I already have all the other effect packages, so does this add anything?

MrDDT
July 26th, 2022, 19:55
I have a question. I already have all the other effect packages, so does this add anything?

Yes it does.

Think of all the monsters that are in here and not in other places, they will have all those effects (if they can be coded) already coded onto them so you can just use them.

Also special items that are not found in other places.
Traps and traits etc etc. Anything that is only found in COS and not the other CORE books.

dbachen
July 27th, 2022, 14:20
Yes it does.

Think of all the monsters that are in here and not in other places, they will have all those effects (if they can be coded) already coded onto them so you can just use them.

Also special items that are not found in other places.
Traps and traits etc etc. Anything that is only found in COS and not the other CORE books.

If you're a DM who doesn't own the rest of the product line, this module has everything that you need just to run CoS.. This isn't just the addition of new things, it is self-contained that it has the common stuff as well. If you aren't running CoS, there is no reason to pick this up (regardless of whether you own the other stuff or not). The other adventure module, for Lost Mine of P is also designed this way.

Example(s):
There are named NPCs in CoS that are based on an underlying monster such as werewolf or revenant. These have powers which match their custom names to ensure that the power is loaded.

Additionally, some of these NPCs have variations on the base power, such as a higher DC or a slightly different effect -- but the NPC feature is still named the same thing on the NPC.. This module addresses that by having a custom power for that NPC which has the appropriate DCs and effects.

All of the magic items which are CoS specific have appropriate powers/effects when equipped by your players.

Unique powers on NPCs (e.g. Strahd himself)

Hope that gives you some insight on why you might want this.. Let us know if you have any questions.

Aridhro
July 30th, 2022, 06:32
Soon ...

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/544951685668143125/1002631869092868146/SPOILER_MotM_Cover.jpg?width=511&height=662

Aridhro
July 30th, 2022, 17:02
Apparently there is a Christmas in July sale on DMsGuild discounting several of my products with 25% (5% better than the current bundle discount)
Check my products here (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?affiliate_id=158753&keywords=Aridhro) on DMsGuild!
Probably only for the two remaining days in July.

Aridhro
August 2nd, 2022, 19:04
IT'S RELEASE DAY!!! 5E Automatic Effects - Monsters of the Multiverse (Fantasy Grounds) is now available for sale on the DMsGuild!!

5E Automatic Effects - Monsters of the Multiverse (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/405197/5E-Automatic-Effects--Monsters-of-the-Multiverse-Fantasy-Grounds?affiliate_id=158753)

You can complete your bundle & get 20% off this new release: 5E Automatic Effects Bundle (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352166/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Automatic-Effects--All-Rule-Books-BUNDLE&affiliate_id=158753)

Also note - we've removed 5eAE Volo's Guide to Monsters & 5eAE Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes from the bundle, as these products are no longer for sale on the FG store.

The 5eAE products for these two modules will remain on the DMsGuild for sale, but removing them from the bundle was done so we're offering the same products as Smiteworks for the core books.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/544951685668143125/1004082255712505947/unknown.png?width=699&height=905

xsection
August 23rd, 2022, 16:54
Hi, I've just bought a few of these modules recently (PHB, DMG, CoS, MM). Is there a way of automating the rogue's Sneak Attack included? Thanks.

lostsanityreturned
August 24th, 2022, 00:43
Hi, I've just bought a few of these modules recently (PHB, DMG, CoS, MM). Is there a way of automating the rogue's Sneak Attack included? Thanks.

The module gives you the effect but doesn't really automate it. You would need to use something like the Rob2e extension for that.

The issue is that with effects only you cannot (as far as I am aware) check for stuff like party member adjacency or if you have general advantage on the attack. The Rob2e extension does handle this, but then comes with the issue that it will apply sneak attack to the first attack that you make (and that hits) in a round, which is usually what you want (especially if you don't have two weapons or some other means of attacking more than once). But I have had it be an issue in my games so I just reverted to using the effect and having the player put it in their hotbar for every time they wanted to make a sneak attack.

Aridhro
August 24th, 2022, 09:37

The effects provided in FG can help you add the extra damage, but nothing else. So I've originally coded the extra damage for level one rogues, which you can edit later on.
With the addition of BCEG effects I can spice it up a little bit to "Sneak Attack (level 1); DMG: 1d6; DUSE; ATURN" but that will only help you with activation on turn (which is a bit tricky as it doesn't always apply) and deactivation on usage.
I will tackle these updates for PHB in the last quarter of 2022. The co-op with Ryan's BCEG only started in 2022 and while books like Monsters of the Multiverse and Monster Manual are already updated, others still need quite some work.
Other extensions may help you out here, but I can't confirm this as I don't use them.

xsection
August 24th, 2022, 09:44
Thanks for the very helpful reply. When coding the effect, can I multiple by the d6 by a factor to try and automate the dame for the rogue's level? I have read the there are variables like [LVL] and [HLVL]. Can these by used to calculate it? Apologies, if these questions are not relevant or wrong - I am very new to this...

jrowsey1
August 24th, 2022, 16:28
Thanks for the very helpful reply. When coding the effect, can I multiple by the d6 by a factor to try and automate the dame for the rogue's level? I have read the there are variables like [LVL] and [HLVL]. Can these by used to calculate it? Apologies, if these questions are not relevant or wrong - I am very new to this...

Check out DMs Guild and search for the Automatic Sneak Attack extension. I think that will do what you're looking to accomplish

Aridhro
August 24th, 2022, 21:39

That isn't possible. But while updating I'll probably add the damage for every level, as I did in the latest volumes and for cantrip spells.

xsection
August 25th, 2022, 19:20
Thanks for all the help with this. I’m really impressed at how helpful and responsive the community has been.

spencerg
September 5th, 2022, 02:08
Hello world, I was hoping someone could clear a few things up for me.
Firstly, there is multiple records of spells, feats, ect. ect. from various modules/books and it makes sense you can't override the originals with the updated 'coded' versions from your modules, however, what happens when I select the Fireball spell from the players handbook, and drop it onto a characters sheet...is the mod smart enough to add A.E.'s version of the spell or should I always filter and check if A.E. has a version first?

Also, I was thrown off by the fact that in the video, the workflow says 'drop the character in the combat tracker to see the magic' , when I'm already seeing the 'magic of it automatically adding coded feats, spells, ect. simply by adding the spell/feat directly to the sheet. I'm willing to bet its due to the fact I almost instantly started modding and using extensions and didn't get a chance to see some of the limits before using awesome extensions ect. Where the effects not fed to the combat tracker before ?

The way I look at this series of mods, is that it took all the 'uncoded' spells, feats, items and misc., and tried to write automation for them? Am I correct in my analysis?

Secondly, I'm curious about AoE effects. Take for example the Entangle spell. Is the system smart enough to take into count which enemy actors/tokens are within proximity of an effect. Or do AoE effects need to be drawn out and applied manually. i see I can cast Entangle at three rats, and it will indeed do the SAVES. Then I manually apply the Effects to the targets that failed their save. Is there a way to automate when an actor enters/is-in an AoE. Or is it always a manually process of drawing out the AoE and applying the coded effects to the target if applicable? I'm mainly just curious how deep you can go with the scripting.

Third, I dropped the Half Cover effect, on my wifes Druid from the effects tab... and had a few enemies attack her to test... and I saw no indication it was working..> what could I be doing wrong/not understand here?

I'm very new to FG so apologies in advanced if this was an incoherent mess.

Cheers, an excellent mod.

Aridhro
September 5th, 2022, 10:16
Hello world, I was hoping someone could clear a few things up for me.
Firstly, there is multiple records of spells, feats, ect. ect. from various modules/books and it makes sense you can't override the originals with the updated 'coded' versions from your modules, however, what happens when I select the Fireball spell from the players handbook, and drop it onto a characters sheet...is the mod smart enough to add A.E.'s version of the spell or should I always filter and check if A.E. has a version first?

Also, I was thrown off by the fact that in the video, the workflow says 'drop the character in the combat tracker to see the magic' , when I'm already seeing the 'magic of it automatically adding coded feats, spells, ect. simply by adding the spell/feat directly to the sheet. I'm willing to bet its due to the fact I almost instantly started modding and using extensions and didn't get a chance to see some of the limits before using awesome extensions ect. Where the effects not fed to the combat tracker before ?

The way I look at this series of mods, is that it took all the 'uncoded' spells, feats, items and misc., and tried to write automation for them? Am I correct in my analysis?

Secondly, I'm curious about AoE effects. Take for example the Entangle spell. Is the system smart enough to take into count which enemy actors/tokens are within proximity of an effect. Or do AoE effects need to be drawn out and applied manually. i see I can cast Entangle at three rats, and it will indeed do the SAVES. Then I manually apply the Effects to the targets that failed their save. Is there a way to automate when an actor enters/is-in an AoE. Or is it always a manually process of drawing out the AoE and applying the coded effects to the target if applicable? I'm mainly just curious how deep you can go with the scripting.

Third, I dropped the Half Cover effect, on my wifes Druid from the effects tab... and had a few enemies attack her to test... and I saw no indication it was working..> what could I be doing wrong/not understand here?

I'm very new to FG so apologies in advanced if this was an incoherent mess.

Cheers, an excellent mod.

Hi Spencer,

First of all thanks for your support.
About your questions:
1. To add effects I had to code a power, which is listed in the spell list in FG. While Equipped effects automatically adds a namematching 5eAE power for features, feats, equipped items, ... this automation isn't possible for spells, as you add the spells in the exact spot (Actions tab) where the automation happens. So for spells, and spells only, you will need to find the 5eAE version of the spell. For example: search for acid splash (see the if there is version under the 5eAE spells group) and add the 5eAE acid splash spell. To be sure, you can check the summary of the spell.
While FG has some hardcoded and parsed effects for spells there was a serious lacking, because some were missing or wrongly parsed entirely. This data-mod tries to cover this and go beyond it with functionallity for extra effects created by the community and supported by Grim Press.
Starting coding these effects I wanted them to work smoothly with the Equipped Effects extension by SilentRuin, which adds to the automations. The mods by themselves are pure data, which could also be used without EE and no automation. Having fully coded powers and custom effects gives a huge boost to the automation FG provides.

2. AoE effects were introduced to give a visual reminder of the AoE effects, being an aura for example and adding a simple to follow rule that "All in AoE" or "only foes in AoE" need to the following effect added while they are inside. If you checked the Forge, you might have found an extension called Aura Effects. We don't work with Aura Effects creator and decided not to add the exact AURA code, but having a similar structure might help people adjust my effects to work with Aura Effects. And on the other hand they are also useful for those who aren't using Aura Effects. So to answer your question: it doesn't work automatically out of the box.
"
COVER and SCOVER are FGU effect codes. If it doesn't work, it might be an issue with FGU or the extensions you use. I checked it in a clean campaign and when I add "Half Cover; COVER" to a combattant and attack it with another, the attack in chat says: [Attack (M) Bite [17] -> [at combattant] [DEF EFFECTS +2][HIT]. While the result only shows a single 17, FGU gives the defender +2 to AC (named DEF EFFECT), as it should.

I hope my answer helps you out.
If you want you can to take you questions to the Grim Press discord, where several experienced users and creators can help you out with your 5eAE or vanilla FG questions. https://discord.gg/grimpress

Cheers, Aridhro

spencerg
September 5th, 2022, 19:55
Perfect, all questions answered. Im an engineer myself, so I can usually see when something has been worked around. Regardless this is pretty elegant and seamless, not to mention the amount of tedious footwork that went into covering all the books. Also the use of the templates was a good move. Great work, im very curious what is exposed via their API, what languages/tech used.. I might take a crack
at a few things.. but really, looks like the community has it covered. Very impressive.

few other questions, the GP polymorph extension… i can’t seem to find an extensive video on par with the others.. is there a tutorial such as the “understanding” video, for the polymorph extension… my wife plays druid lol

also what are your thoughts on B9s spell tokens, that seems perfect for AoE coupled with your extension, you got the visuals and the effects to make the magic easy

cheers

dbachen
September 6th, 2022, 13:18
Perfect, all questions answered. Im an engineer myself, so I can usually see when something has been worked around. Regardless this is pretty elegant and seamless, not to mention the amount of tedious footwork that went into covering all the books. Also the use of the templates was a good move. Great work, im very curious what is exposed via their API, what languages/tech used.. I might take a crack
at a few things.. but really, looks like the community has it covered. Very impressive.

few other questions, the GP polymorph extension… i can’t seem to find an extensive video on par with the others.. is there a tutorial such as the “understanding” video, for the polymorph extension… my wife plays druid lol

also what are your thoughts on B9s spell tokens, that seems perfect for AoE coupled with your extension, you got the visuals and the effects to make the magic easy

cheers

For Polymorphism, we have a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMeERlioZ0g
it's going on 2 years old, and although there have been some refinements, watching that should give you a good gist on how things work.

You can also check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Ls6iG_PWs which is a guide I did showing Druid Wild Shape and a free module (PWYW) on DMsG for druid wild shaping. It shows Polymorphism in action as well.

spencerg
September 6th, 2022, 20:59
Perfecto...thank you my friend!

SilentRuin
September 7th, 2022, 23:40
1. Untrue. You can do what I did (and supplied as free download attachment somewhere - I forget where) and make an AE5EPHBClasses.mod where you remake every single class/race/etc. to point to specific AE modules spells/feats/etc. you want it to reference. My players don't have to think then - and as we know - users and players... well most know my low opinion in regards to those ;) You must hand feed them stuff with no complications or they become utterly confused and lost. Then bug you about it. Easier just to supply them with a module that makes them not have to think. IMHO ;)

I made it myself with some effort - so can any other DM.

spencerg
September 13th, 2022, 05:49
I hope this question isn't too ridiculous, as I'm still learning my way around everything in Fantasy Grounds, particularly automation. I've read up on how to define effects, but I'm alittle confused as to the extent of the automation, and IF I am apply the effects correctly. As an example, attached is my wifes druid, with a simple entangle spell <AE Version>.

Firstly:
# All in AoE: Entangle; (C); Restrained; 'Escape DC: (SDC) Str

When apply this effect to a target, am I supposed to see some automated Escape checks? Or is this text only a reminder that I need to do something. I guess I was expecting that each round, the target would automatically roll for escape.

Secondly,
$ Entangle; (C)

Am I supposed to apply this to self via combat tracker effect targeting.? As I understood from reading about effects, that concentration checks were automated?

Lastly..
# Entangle; (C); 'Difficult terrain; AoE: 20 square; R: 90
IS this actually going to do anything when applied to target(s), or is it again, a simple note/reminder to the DM on the CT.

I'm very curious if when I apply these effects, I'm doing it correctly. They do get the 'restrained' condition, but I'm failing to see what the other definitions are doing.

I also saw one for thorn whip, where there is a simple IF statement vs. target size, but I didnt see it do anything other than listing that if the size <= large, they can be pulled.
# Thorn Whip; IF: SIZE(<=large); 'Pull 10 ft; STURNRE

In conclusion, I'm very curious if I'm applying/using things correctly, as I'd love to get the most out of this data.

I thought I understood completely, but im not seeing the results I was expecting.
Thank you very much for any help, you guys put in alot of tedious work on this.

dbachen
September 14th, 2022, 13:52
I hope this question isn't too ridiculous, as I'm still learning my way around everything in Fantasy Grounds, particularly automation. I've read up on how to define effects, but I'm alittle confused as to the extent of the automation, and IF I am apply the effects correctly. As an example, attached is my wifes druid, with a simple entangle spell <AE Version>.

Firstly:
# All in AoE: Entangle; (C); Restrained; 'Escape DC: (SDC) Str

When apply this effect to a target, am I supposed to see some automated Escape checks? Or is this text only a reminder that I need to do something. I guess I was expecting that each round, the target would automatically roll for escape.

Secondly,
$ Entangle; (C)

Am I supposed to apply this to self via combat tracker effect targeting.? As I understood from reading about effects, that concentration checks were automated?

Lastly..
# Entangle; (C); 'Difficult terrain; AoE: 20 square; R: 90
IS this actually going to do anything when applied to target(s), or is it again, a simple note/reminder to the DM on the CT.

I'm very curious if when I apply these effects, I'm doing it correctly. They do get the 'restrained' condition, but I'm failing to see what the other definitions are doing.

I also saw one for thorn whip, where there is a simple IF statement vs. target size, but I didnt see it do anything other than listing that if the size <= large, they can be pulled.
# Thorn Whip; IF: SIZE(<=large); 'Pull 10 ft; STURNRE

In conclusion, I'm very curious if I'm applying/using things correctly, as I'd love to get the most out of this data.

I thought I understood completely, but im not seeing the results I was expecting.
Thank you very much for any help, you guys put in alot of tedious work on this.

Hi Spencerg,

5eAE automates wherever possible, but within the extent of the engine and rules the FG supplies. In cases where something doesn't have an FG mechanism, it gets added as a note.

Notes in 5eAE either begin with note: or a ' (the apostrophe just denotes it as a text string), depending on where they are used.

In the case of the Entangle spell, FG doesn't support an "escape DC" mechanism. It does understand the restrained keyword.. So this effect does several things:
1) It puts a custom effect called "Entangle" onto the target
2) It puts the restrained keyword on the target (which is a recognized FG term and doesn't something within the game)
3) It puts a note which tells you that you can make a Str based Escape DC if you want.. This is manual process. The player tries to escape.. The DM has them roll the STR check, and if successful, removes the effect by deleting it.

Concentration checks are automatic, if there is an effect which has the (C) on it. Although 5eAE was designed to really work with Equipped Effects, we know that not everyone has it.. So in cases where they don't, some of the effects will have to be applied manually by the DM.

In the case of the Thorn Whip, you've got a 2 part effect.. the first the part which can be automated (checking to see if the size is large), the second is a note telling you what can be done.. So it will only apply the note if the size is large, but it can't actually pull the token or move it, so it's a manual action by the DM.. Lastly, it has a Better Combat Effects tag at the end which says to remove the effect at the start of the turn. That way the note, which tells you what to do, doesn't stay on forever.. it only lasts long enough for you to take the action.

Hope that makes sense.. I know it can get a little complicated.. believe me., we'd love to be able to automate everything and we push it whenever we can.

spencerg
September 14th, 2022, 20:20
perfect explanation- i figured all as much but really was just looking for confirmation. I played around in the sandbox with it and noted the auto concentration checks and removals as you stated..(i have better combat effects) In short, im just learning my way around the limits of what can be done. Thanks very much for helping me understand.

spencerg
September 16th, 2022, 02:55
You guys have been awesome answering beginner questions.. so
One more dumb question - I'm not on my computer to test this at the moment - but it just occurred to me... what happens when I setup all my players with AE versions of traits, feats, spells, ect... then unload the modules? -- would it whack their data? This is more a general question of how FGU handles this. What happens to things that have been setup on the character sheet that were built with data from an extension. IF the effects arent using any special effects (like BCE), then would it just retain the coding in their sheet, or remove it. I would expect things that have been setup and dropped in the sheet to still be there, but not work if they required extended scripts,, ect.

Leprekorn
September 16th, 2022, 06:16
It will retain the coding. However any links within the codes to other AE links may not work.

spencerg
September 16th, 2022, 18:50
It will retain the coding. However any links within the codes to other AE links may not work.

gotcha. If the code tags aren’t custom i.e. AC: 2, or others fg recognizes out of the box, everything is fine., correct?

Just an fyi- i use the full boat- better combat effects, AE and EE

dbachen
September 17th, 2022, 16:05
gotcha. If the code tags aren’t custom i.e. AC: 2, or others fg recognizes out of the box, everything is fine., correct?

Just an fyi- i use the full boat- better combat effects, AE and EE

The effects stay, but a custom effect (like something from BCEG) would only function if the extension was loaded.. otherwise, it's just text.. What Leprekon is saying is that the stuff on your sheet has a link to the right which opens the power, and inside of that, there are often links to other things. Any modules they refer to would need to be loaded (e.g. picking your fighting styles).

Leprekorn
September 18th, 2022, 08:16
The effects stay, but a custom effect (like something from BCEG) would only function if the extension was loaded.. otherwise, it's just text.. What Leprekon is saying is that the stuff on your sheet has a link to the right which opens the power, and inside of that, there are often links to other things. Any modules they refer to would need to be loaded (e.g. picking your fighting styles).

That's exactly what I was trying to say.

spencerg
September 19th, 2022, 05:35
That's exactly what I was trying to say.
i understood both of you, thank you. Always good to get two explanations, learned something from both. Finally starting to really get the hang of everything, from building custom effects, to minor extension writing, to running complex combat. Took me a month and a half of just hammering at everything and exploring what the system can and can’t do. I largely have the community to thank for always being their to answer questions/provide guides.

On the topic of AE , sorry if this has been asked but are there plans to provide it here on the forge? .. makes keeping it up to date a breeze, and it’s surprising to me that other major GP offerings like EE and BCEG is up here… hell, i’d buy it again if i had too.

Also, i can totally understand why u chose to break it into separate modules, it makes sense for many cases, but id really like to see 4 or 5 of them (the core books and supplements like XGTE) provided as one module. . cut down on the number of “hey load these “, also, it clutters up abit. Is there any thoughts on offering a bundled version ie all AE mods in one?

Thank you again

Leprekorn
September 19th, 2022, 09:13
Unfortunately it won't be on the forge due to DMsG and WotC reasons when it comes to certain IP as I understand it.

Geometer
October 22nd, 2022, 15:54
Hi.
I've just opened my campaign for the first time since updating to 4.3 and I get this message (screenshot). Can you tell me what it means and if I should do anything about it? TIA

SilentRuin
October 22nd, 2022, 16:02
Hi.
I've just opened my campaign for the first time since updating to 4.3 and I get this message (screenshot). Can you tell me what it means and if I should do anything about it? TIA

First, you should post this question in correct thread - as this is for data modules and your asking about the equipped effects extension...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59490

Second, you should make sure you're up to date with that extension and all your other extensions as FGU updates regularly break extensions and require updates.

Having said all that you should have V 1.53 if your up to date for equipped effects per the forum thread I listed. If you have Forge it will be auto updated (unless you did something crazy like unpacked a zip file in your extensions directory or have some old version named still in there from some pre Forge version or some DMsG name change which they do sometimes) when you hit the update button (even when not red) - if DMsG then you should always be checking for updates on their site based on any products you own (usually listed in the forum threads you track for those extensions) and make sure they have not changed the .ext name leaving some old version out in your extensions directory.

This error makes me think you have not updated in a long while but check your version in chat when you come up in FGU.

Lo Zeno
November 10th, 2022, 16:51
I don't know if this has been reported already or not, I tried looking through the thread but 37 pages are a lot.
I was creating a Rogue Soulknife with the Character Wizard, using Automatic Effects and the Equipped Effects extension: when I hit level 3 and selected the Soulknife specialization, the extension added the wrong "Psionic Powers" feature to the Actions tab - it added the one from the Psi Warrior (Fighter's subclass) instead of the one for the Soulknife (Rogue subclass)

SilentRuin
November 10th, 2022, 17:36
I don't know if this has been reported already or not, I tried looking through the thread but 37 pages are a lot.
I was creating a Rogue Soulknife with the Character Wizard, using Automatic Effects and the Equipped Effects extension: when I hit level 3 and selected the Soulknife specialization, the extension added the wrong "Psionic Powers" feature to the Actions tab - it added the one from the Psi Warrior (Fighter's subclass) instead of the one for the Soulknife (Rogue subclass)

First of all - character wizard has a bunch of hardcoded lookups. Unless you use Advantages CW extension then I have no idea how your going to get character wizard to recognize anything but the FGU hardcoded modules. And even if you use that you still have to be aware that modules might require a module priority to get what you want to take precedence over some other module. AND EVEN THEN you have to realize that unless you have your own module like I made for myself for AE5EPHBClasses where all the links point the WOTC data but all the classes have the links pointed to the AE5E PHB data so my players don't have to guess which spell powers (that have same name so many do) take precedent in our game.

Gist is FGU is horrible at managing modules and what takes precedence - hence annoyingly making me do all the sorts of things above. My advice - is to wait till you have your character created in CW - then replace all the spell/powers/links with the AE 5E versions where necessary. Otherwise, your stuck with what I described above. I love FGU... but sometimes... I just wanna...

Anyway, know your limitations within the tools you have to play with.

Zacchaeus
November 10th, 2022, 19:10

I just tested this without extensions and it adds the correct ability; so the issue will be with the extension(s). I'd suggest that if you are using extensions like this you are probably better using drag and drop since the extension clearly messes with the character wizard code in some way. (Note also to make sure that it is the incorrect one that got added since the verbiage in the first three paragraphs are exactly the same for both traits).

Lo Zeno
November 10th, 2022, 19:25
First of all - character wizard has a bunch of hardcoded lookups. Unless you use Advantages CW extension then I have no idea how your going to get character wizard to recognize anything but the FGU hardcoded modules. And even if you use that you still have to be aware that modules might require a module priority to get what you want to take precedence over some other module. AND EVEN THEN you have to realize that unless you have your own module like I made for myself for AE5EPHBClasses where all the links point the WOTC data but all the classes have the links pointed to the AE5E PHB data so my players don't have to guess which spell powers (that have same name so many do) take precedent in our game.

Gist is FGU is horrible at managing modules and what takes precedence - hence annoyingly making me do all the sorts of things above. My advice - is to wait till you have your character created in CW - then replace all the spell/powers/links with the AE 5E versions where necessary. Otherwise, your stuck with what I described above. I love FGU... but sometimes... I just wanna...

Anyway, know your limitations within the tools you have to play with.

I think it's a legit issue with either Tasha's Automatic Effects module or the Equipped Effects extension: I just tried with the drag-and-drop method, and once I add the character to the Combat Tracker, it adds the wrong ability from the Automated Effects module for Tasha's Cauldron. I tried also creating the whole character from CW, then dragging to the Combat Tracker, and all the automated abilities were added correctly except for Psionic Power.
Essentially, if I add the ability manually it's fine, BUT if I use Equipped Effects then it selects the wrong ability to add to the rogue.

Lo Zeno
November 10th, 2022, 19:30
I just tested this without extensions and it adds the correct ability; so the issue will be with the extension(s). I'd suggest that if you are using extensions like this you are probably better using drag and drop since the extension clearly messes with the character wizard code in some way. (Note also to make sure that it is the incorrect one that got added since the verbiage in the first three paragraphs are exactly the same for both traits).

I'm talking about the Automated Effect that gets added, not the class feature from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. I know it's the wrong one because the very first line says "3rd level Psi Warrior feature", and because the list of spells included in the description is the one for the Psi warrior, not the one for the Soulknife.

SilentRuin
November 11th, 2022, 03:55
I'm talking about the Automated Effect that gets added, not the class feature from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. I know it's the wrong one because the very first line says "3rd level Psi Warrior feature", and because the list of spells included in the description is the one for the Psi warrior, not the one for the Soulknife.

None of what you said is unexpected. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, what I told you is what you have to do to get things the way you want them.

Here is what I see you saying - something with the same name in several modules is not being assigned the spell/power from the module you want it to be from. If you use FGU character wizard (without AdvantagesCW.ext) then you will get a list of classes and a list of pretty much everything else (spells, etc.) from a hardcoded list order in FGU. This will NOT include the AE 5E spells etc.

That is what your doing - and that is what you say (I think) you are seeing. You know a spell/power/etc. is coming from AE 5E because in the link to the spell it has a summary from Aridhro - the WOTC ones do not.

So as far as I can tell your getting what you get with FGU character wizard - a hardcoded selection of things from a hardcoded precedence order of modules. And if you pick a class from that list it will be from the WOTC modules they hardcoded (plus any local things? I think?) it will have links to all the WOTC data.

This is NOT the AE 5E stuff. The only way you can get that stuff into character/npc sheet is to drop it into them from the actual listings from the group for AE 5e stuff.

If you have a named spell/power/etc. then the equipped effects matching will find the name in the sequence that global code in FGU uses (which is local first, then alphabetical module name order - unless you've loaded a module during session which will always be last in the search list. A lot of things have identical names so you will hit the first come first serve definition in the global code I described above. Any unique named things (once in all the modules and local) will resolve to the right thing for sure - as they are unique.

Having said all this in how normal FGU works and equipped effects with it - I believe you are seeing what you SHOULD be seeing where your trying to look up something that exists more than once in the modules list and you get the first one it finds based on my description above (unless I misunderstood something).

Now I don't depend on this mixed stuff that can't possibly work with modules that are not hardcoded in their system - and AE 5E modules and any other ones not in their system - are not part of their character wizard logic.

I use AdvantagesCW to kludge character wizard into submission to respect my module priority (defined in equipped effects and AdvantagesCW - both are same code doing it) and also look at ALL the modules for unique items based on the module list meaning if I choose a Barbarian class and have several modules with that identical name and also have it in my local DB - then the local DB will be the one you see in character wizard (modified with extension). If not in local DB then it will find the barbarian class which is defined in your module priority - or default global search order. Hovering over the class/spell/etc. will always show what module it came from also as a tooltip.

In addition I made an AE5EPHBClasses.mod for the PHB WOTC data so that it can really point to all the spells/etc. that I want to use in my game - in my case that is the AE 5E PHB ones.

That's as detailed as I'm going to go - you get it or you don't - but if using what you've described your only recourse is to create your character in FGU CW and then replace all the data in your character sheet with links to the ones you really want to be using. I'm too lazy to ever waste time doing that so I made the AdvantagesCW and an AE5EPHBClasses.mod to take care of all that for me so I don't have to do anything. If I ever play something that needs more classes defined from outside PHB I usually just define them locally (by copying from the module) so it insures that is the one used.

Lo Zeno
November 11th, 2022, 07:41
None of what you said is unexpected. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, what I told you is what you have to do to get things the way you want them.

Here is what I see you saying - something with the same name in several modules is not being assigned the spell/power from the module you want it to be from.
Here's the misunderstanding, which I should have cleared from the beginning:
It's not from several modules, the Psi Warrior (Fighter subclass) and the SoulKnife (Rogue subclass) are both in the same module (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) so the two class abilities with the same name come from the same module. It's not an issue of module priority/load priority, but an issue of class: it's assigning a Fighter effect to a Rogue just because they have class features with the same name (and because "Psi Warrior" comes before "soul Knife" alphabetically, I assume?).

That's why all the talking about module order and priority didn't get through me: because there is no module order to define since there's only one module involved. AdvantagesCW wouldn't help, as both are in Tasha's.

SilentRuin
November 11th, 2022, 15:26
Here's the misunderstanding, which I should have cleared from the beginning:
It's not from several modules, the Psi Warrior (Fighter subclass) and the SoulKnife (Rogue subclass) are both in the same module (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) so the two class abilities with the same name come from the same module. It's not an issue of module priority/load priority, but an issue of class: it's assigning a Fighter effect to a Rogue just because they have class features with the same name (and because "Psi Warrior" comes before "soul Knife" alphabetically, I assume?).

That's why all the talking about module order and priority didn't get through me: because there is no module order to define since there's only one module involved. AdvantagesCW wouldn't help, as both are in Tasha's.

Usually in AE 5e modules things with the same name that differ by class have different names defining them (if they don't then that may be a bug in the module for Aridhro to resolve). For example, multiattack has a lot of npc specific features and at least one class specific feature that do different things but are named the same. So when Equipped effects looks up the "multiattack" spell/power to resolve it it will find the correct one by appending a "_Class_<classname>" in its search (does this for other things like NPCs also). Below is a search of multiattack_ (has a _Class_Ranger in there but missed it in my screen shot) in my spell lists to show what I'm talking about.

So - I don't have tasha's but if you look up "soul Knife" (what you said was common name) then you should see a "soul Knife_Class_Fighter" and "soul Knife_Class_Rogue" or something like that in your spell lists just like for my search of multiattack (as many classes and NPCs have this defined with different meanings). If you don't see something like that - then you can ask Aridhro what's up with that as it will find first come first serve in that module.

[as a workaround you can simply rename the soul Knife spells/powers of same name it in your local to have the _Class_Fighter or _Class_Rogue to match those spell/power]

Keep in mind that specialized searches like this will try to find the "appended" versions first and if no name is found they will find the raw name match in the same global search order I mentioned earlier.

This is all by memory so Aridhro can correct me if I'm not stating this correctly for the appended name searches for class/npc/whatever as he had me add in. Only version info in equipped text thread will state what was done.

Lo Zeno
November 11th, 2022, 15:40
Usually in AE 5e modules things with the same name that differ by class have different names defining them (if they don't then that may be a bug in the module for Aridhro to resolve). For example, multiattack has a lot of class specific features that do different things but are named the same. So when Equipped effects looks up the "multiattack" spell/power to resolve it it will find the correct one by appending a "_class" in its search (does this for other things like NPCs also). Below is a search of multiattack_ in my spell lists to show what I'm talking about.

So - I don't have tasha's but if you look up "soul Knife" (what you said was common name) then you should see a "soul Knife_fighter" and "soul Knife_rogue" or something like that in your spell lists just like for my search of multiattack (as many classes and NPCs have this defined with different meanings). If you don't see something like that - then you can ask Aridhro what's up with that as it will find first come first server in that module.

[as a workaround you can simply rename it in your local to something unique for both and use that in your abilities name to match that spell/power]

The common name is actually "Psionic Power", you can see it in the screenshot I attached earlier ("Soul Knife" is the Rogue subclass, while "Psi Warrior" is the Fighter subclass - both subclasses have a class feature called "Psionic Power").

I've done the search as you suggested and, indeed, I see the two powers don't have the _class suffixes:

I've opened the two powers to the left, highlighting in color which description matches with which power in the Spell window - top one is for the Fighter subclass, bottom one for the Rogue.

SilentRuin
November 11th, 2022, 16:12
The common name is actually "Psionic Power", you can see it in the screenshot I attached earlier ("Soul Knife" is the Rogue subclass, while "Psi Warrior" is the Fighter subclass - both subclasses have a class feature called "Psionic Power").

I've done the search as you suggested and, indeed, I see the two powers don't have the _class suffixes:

I've opened the two powers to the left, highlighting in color which description matches with which power in the Spell window - top one is for the Fighter subclass, bottom one for the Rogue.

Looks like a data module bug then as anything with two identical names needs to play that append game if they want them to individually resolve. Try copying the "Psionic Powers" for fighter to your local DB spell list and name it "Psionic Powers_Class_Fighter" - then do same with rogue and name it "Psionic Powers_Class_Rogue". See if they resolve for you then. Otherwise, as this is really a place holder - you'll just have to add the specific powers it contains directly into your action tab on the sheets (because you know which is which).

Lo Zeno
November 11th, 2022, 16:44
Looks like a data module bug then as anything with two identical names needs to play that append game if they want them to individually resolve. Try copying the "Psionic Powers" for fighter to your local DB spell list and name it "Psionic Powers_Class_Fighter" - then do same with rogue and name it "Psionic Powers_Class_Rogue". See if they resolve for you then. Otherwise, as this is really a place holder - you'll just have to add the specific powers it contains directly into your action tab on the sheets (because you know which is which).

The workaround of copying the powers and adding the _classname suffix works, thanks. I've sent a PM to Aridhro with the details and a few links to the posts in this discussion.

JeffDM
November 21st, 2022, 23:43
The bundle for this is on sale until 28 November for $49.99. By Grabthar's Hammer............................What a Savings.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352166/FANTASY-GROUNDS-5E-Automatic-Effects--All-Rule-Book-BUNDLE

Lo Zeno
December 1st, 2022, 14:51
Is there any word on whether the SpellJammer module for 5E Automatic Effects is in the works? For the new races, specifically

dbachen
December 2nd, 2022, 13:50
Is there any word on whether the SpellJammer module for 5E Automatic Effects is in the works? For the new races, specifically

We have several campaign settings on our radar, including SpellJammer, but don't have anything concrete on a timeline yet.

Lexi the Red
December 28th, 2022, 22:56
I'm not entirely sure where to post this, so I'm just going to toss it here and see if anyone has any thoughts...My issue involves spells and such on NPCs, using Equipped Effects (EE), Automatic Effects (AE), and B9's Spell Tokens (ST).

When I have all 3 going and Module Priority in EE set to **On** the spell tokens don't populate to the CT for NPCs. If I turn off Module Priority the spell tokens populate, but I don't get the AE efects for the spells. (Abjurer Wizard 1 and 2)

If I don't load Equipped Effects and just have AE loaded, the NPC spells don't parse correctly at all with AE loaded. (Abjurer Wizard 3 and 4).

Interestingly enough with EE and ST loaded the spell descriptions that are linked to the NPC on the CT are the descriptions from the PHB. Whereas without ST loaded the NPC spells on the CT link to the AE descriptions instead. Also, as far as I can see there is no difference in the parsing whether Module Priority is turned on or off. (Aburer Wizard 5 and 6).

Note that all I have loaded, at most, is Equipped Effects and Spell Tokens, and the only modules I loaded were the PHB and Monsters of the Multiverse, along with their corresponding AE modules.

SilentRuin
December 29th, 2022, 00:54
I'm not entirely sure where to post this, so I'm just going to toss it here and see if anyone has any thoughts...My issue involves spells and such on NPCs, using Equipped Effects (EE), Automatic Effects (AE), and B9's Spell Tokens (ST).

When I have all 3 going and Module Priority in EE set to **On** the spell tokens don't populate to the CT for NPCs. If I turn off Module Priority the spell tokens populate, but I don't get the AE efects for the spells. (Abjurer Wizard 1 and 2)

If I don't load Equipped Effects and just have AE loaded, the NPC spells don't parse correctly at all with AE loaded. (Abjurer Wizard 3 and 4).

Interestingly enough with EE and ST loaded the spell descriptions that are linked to the NPC on the CT are the descriptions from the PHB. Whereas without ST loaded the NPC spells on the CT link to the AE descriptions instead. Also, as far as I can see there is no difference in the parsing whether Module Priority is turned on or off. (Aburer Wizard 5 and 6).

Note that all I have loaded, at most, is Equipped Effects and Spell Tokens, and the only modules I loaded were the PHB and Monsters of the Multiverse, along with their corresponding AE modules.

Never used spell tokens - is it compatible (for sure if they don't play nice and call other overrides of PowerManager.parseNPCPower then they will kill any intelligence for CT actions for sure) ? Moodule priority is only going to be respected by EE and AdvantagesCW. I doubt anyone else has it coded. And if there are conflicts - then there are conflicts. You'd have to ask someone who has experience in using all three - just letting you know that you should never expect something else to use module priority unless they code it to do so (unlikely). Plus make sure you have the options set that do that sort of thing in EE.

MrDDT
December 29th, 2022, 04:10
Its not an EE issue, its a 5eAE issue with Spell Tokens from B9

SilentRuin
December 29th, 2022, 06:17
Its not an EE issue, its a 5eAE issue with Spell Tokens from B9

Redacted because I'm an idiot. I could not get over the fact those screen shots did not have the summary at top as that is how I know when the stuff is showing me a AE5E in character wizard and PC actions tab (with advantagesCW) and forgot that the action tab link is a different "sheet" that displays that info differently.

Not sure what the problem is but MrDDT probably knows more than I about it.

MrDDT
December 29th, 2022, 14:42
My point was EE is working perfectly and the mod it's picking is 5eAE, which doesn't pull the spell tokens using B9 Spell Tokens.

They don't want to use basic spell coding (which B9 uses) they want to use 5eAE. See how this really is not an issue with EE or mod priority? Mod Priority and EE is working perfectly.

MrDDT
December 29th, 2022, 17:24

This doesn't have anything to do with EE Alexander Red, you can check this by making a local copy of 5eAE effect unload 5eAE and see it will cause the same issue and unload EE ext.

The issue is that when using 5eAE with B9 Spell tokens, B9 Spell doesnt tokens pull in the tokens.

I think Branch9 and Aridhro would need to talk to get it worked out on how to make this work.

SilentRuin
December 29th, 2022, 18:18
This doesn't have anything to do with EE Alexander Red, you can check this by making a local copy of 5eAE effect unload 5eAE and see it will cause the same issue and unload EE ext.

The issue is that when using 5eAE with B9 Spell tokens, B9 Spell doesnt tokens pull in the tokens.

I think Branch9 and Aridhro would need to talk to get it worked out on how to make this work.

Per my redaction above - I'm an idiot. Ignore my commentary as per the redaction.

Lexi the Red
December 30th, 2022, 17:05

As I said, I wasn't quite sure where to post this. I'm going to post on the thread for Spell Tokens and link back here.

I am curious though, why is it that with Spell Tokens loaded the linked spell descriptions are from the PHB (even with the module priority on and set as recommended by AE), whereas without ST they are the descriptions from the AE effects?

EDIT: Also, a couple other things of note. This certainly appears to be an interaction between both extensions (Equipped Effects and B9 Spell Tokens) and 5eAE. With just 5eAE and B9ST going the spell tokens pull in to the CT just fine, it just doesn't parse spells correctly. But this is an issue that 5eAE has anyway if EE isn't loaded, it doesn't parse the correct spell descriptions. That's an entirely other annoyance, that I am literally forced to use another extension that I don't really want to make the 5eAE products work correctly. But, whatever. I just want all 3 to play nice together. :)

SilentRuin
December 30th, 2022, 17:30
As I said, I wasn't quite sure where to post this. I'm going to post on the thread for Spell Tokens and link back here.

I am curious though, why is it that with Spell Tokens loaded the linked spell descriptions are from the PHB (even with the module priority on and set as recommended by AE), whereas without ST they are the descriptions from the AE effects?

I assume because ST replaces those. EE had to specially derive them based on module priority etc. which no other code likely uses.

Lexi the Red
December 30th, 2022, 18:08
I assume because ST replaces those. EE had to specially derive them based on module priority etc. which no other code likely uses.

I don't think so. I'm no expert, but all ST does is add tokens based on spell names. Without EE loaded but while using 5eAE the spell tokens populate correctly. With EE loaded but with module priority turned off the spell tokens populate correctly.

But please notice that with EE loaded, module priority turned on, 5eAE turned on and priority set to 1, and ST loaded the spell tokens do not populate correctly, the 5eAE parsing appears for the NPC, but the linked description is still from the PHB rather than from 5eAE.

SilentRuin
December 30th, 2022, 21:09
I don't think so. I'm no expert, but all ST does is add tokens based on spell names. Without EE loaded but while using 5eAE the spell tokens populate correctly. With EE loaded but with module priority turned off the spell tokens populate correctly.

But please notice that with EE loaded, module priority turned on, 5eAE turned on and priority set to 1, and ST loaded the spell tokens do not populate correctly, the 5eAE parsing appears for the NPC, but the linked description is still from the PHB rather than from 5eAE.

If you use EE and 5eAE and it works for correct link (which EE loads) - and then use ST in the mix and it does not have correct link. Pretty sure that's a sign its changing something - codewise.

spencerg
January 5th, 2023, 03:09
I just updated the Rage and Frenzy effect for barbarians, to work better with automated exhaustion (and stacking)

I use BCEG and EE.

Here is my code.

$ Rage; ADVCHK: strength; ADVSAV: strength; DMG: 2, melee; RESIST: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing; IF: CUSTOM(Frenzy); EXPIREADD: EXHAUSTION

Essentially, when Rage Expires and FRENZY is active, it will automatically apply and stack exhaustion.

I use an automated exhaustion extension, and the problem is that as soon as you activate Rage && Frenzy at the beginning of the round, that extension kicks in, and applies all the penalties...before it should (Rage End)

So my question is simple..

Is there a way for me to modify the hardcoded effects from these extensions, so that I don't loose them if I switch games.

I'm aware that I can create a custom effect, and export it.. but I was very curious where these hardcoded effects are defined?

If I examine Rage in 'spells', I do not see anywhere were the base effect code is defined... only stats/descriptions/tables.

If i can't override things that I tweak, the next best thing would be to create a copy of an ability/spell, ect.. and define the code in there... however, outside of the character sheet, I see nowhere we're this is defined :)

In a perfect world, I'd want to be able to define these effects as part of the card. E.G. Rage card, somewhere in there is the effects code to add when i drag and drop this into a sheet.

Where is the code defined?

Would really like to work on some of these abilities, traits, spells - beef up some of the code, also write my own homebrew.. but I don't know where to define it other than right in the character sheet.

When I drop a spell into the sheet, obviously its pulling in that code from somewhere

SilentRuin
January 5th, 2023, 04:20
I just updated the Rage and Frenzy effect for barbarians, to work better with automated exhaustion (and stacking)

I use BCEG and EE.

Here is my code.

$ Rage; ADVCHK: strength; ADVSAV: strength; DMG: 2, melee; RESIST: bludgeoning, piercing, slashing; IF: CUSTOM(Frenzy); EXPIREADD: EXHAUSTION

Essentially, when Rage Expires and FRENZY is active, it will automatically apply and stack exhaustion.

I use an automated exhaustion extension, and the problem is that as soon as you activate Rage && Frenzy at the beginning of the round, that extension kicks in, and applies all the penalties...before it should (Rage End)

So my question is simple..

Is there a way for me to modify the hardcoded effects from these extensions, so that I don't loose them if I switch games.

I'm aware that I can create a custom effect, and export it.. but I was very curious where these hardcoded effects are defined?

If I examine Rage in 'spells', I do not see anywhere were the base effect code is defined... only stats/descriptions/tables.

If i can't override things that I tweak, the next best thing would be to create a copy of an ability/spell, ect.. and define the code in there... however, outside of the character sheet, I see nowhere we're this is defined :)

In a perfect world, I'd want to be able to define these effects as part of the card. E.G. Rage card, somewhere in there is the effects code to add when i drag and drop this into a sheet.

Where is the code defined?

Would really like to work on some of these abilities, traits, spells - beef up some of the code, also write my own homebrew.. but I don't know where to define it other than right in the character sheet.

When I drop a spell into the sheet, obviously its pulling in that code from somewhere

If you use AE5E then you know its pulling that rage from there. EE will match the name and pull a spell/power and custom effect if it finds any. As you have AE5E it will probably have those defined. If you make your own match in the local DB it will likely use that match instead as local DB entries get found first - then alphabetical order of modules (unless you've unloaded or loaded some then that is out the window) or module priority if in use and set.

spencerg
January 5th, 2023, 04:31
Thanks very much for the reply. I'm definitely confused, missing a piece of the puzzle here, so I'll break it down alittle more.

Lets us Rage as an example.

Rage, via Automatic Effects, has a card - you can find it in spells.

It doesnt have a custom effect defined in the custom effects u.i.

The Card for rage has all the information regarding rage, as per PHB, ect.

When I drop this card into the character sheet, it 'somehow' pulls in code.

Where is that code defined? Is it parsing the text of the card and building the effect dynamically? That's some pretty insane string parsing if thats the case. If not, its got to be defined somewhere, I just cant find it.

The only thing i can do, is modify the effect inline, once it hits the character sheet and propagates.

What I'd like to do, is go to the source itself, and change it. So that when my players drag rage onto their sheet, it uses my version.

Also, when you say local DB, you're referring to the database for custom effects - which I can import/export.

While it would be great to be able to modify AE version of Rage, so that when i drop a new character onto the CT, it would add the correct version of Rage... I'm more interested in having a Card I defined, or a module i make, that has my version of it.. so I can always just drop that sucker right on the sheet, rather than having to manually type it in everytime I bust something.

Sorry for somewhat rambling post, but I'm definitely missing a piece of the puzzle of how all this works.

Again, where is the EFFECTS code for Rage coming from, where is it defined. Image attached.

My guess... the module has these all hardcoded behind the scenes, or its a text parser...which i find insane.

I guess I was expecting to open the card for Rage...and see a textarea in which I could drop EFFECTS code.

Thank you again chief!5566855669

SilentRuin
January 5th, 2023, 04:50
Thanks very much for the reply. I'm definitely confused, missing a piece of the puzzle here, so I'll break it down alittle more.

Where is that code defined? Is it parsing the text of the card and building the effect dynamically? That's some pretty insane string parsing if thats the case. If not, its got to be defined somewhere, I just cant find it.

The only thing i can do, is modify the effect inline, once it hits the character sheet and propagates.

What I'd like to do, is go to the source itself, and change it. So that when my players drag rage onto their sheet, it uses my version.

Also, when you say local DB, you're referring to the database for custom effects - which I can import/export.

While it would be great to be able to modify AE version of Rage, so that when i drop a new character onto the CT, it would add the correct version of Rage... I'm more interested in having a Card I defined, or a module i make, that has my version of it.. so I can always just drop that sucker right on the sheet, rather than having to manually type it in everytime I bust something.

Sorry for somewhat rambling post, but I'm definitely missing a piece of the puzzle of how all this works.

Again, where is the EFFECTS code for Rage coming from, where is it defined. Image attached.

My guess... the module has these all hardcoded behind the scenes, or its a text parser...which i find insane.

I guess I was expecting to open the card for Rage...and see a textarea in which I could drop EFFECTS code.

Your asking a more basic FGU question I'm not sure I can fully detail out for you especially with the words "card" being used. If you want details you'll have to get a grounding on the basics of how FGU data works. But here is a short primer...

1) There are no "cards" there are database entries that define a PC or NPC sheet. These have traits, actions, etc. The names of these traits, actions, etc. go through a name search (you'd have to read up on EE) and find a matching spell/power in the DB and a matching custom effect in the DB. These can be listed in the right side of your app under the button "effects" which are referred to as custom effects and under the button spells. You can define custom effects as pure text strings though they have lots of rules in them and some peripheral button definitions you'd have to understand which from your use of them in your first post I'm assuming you do understand. Those will be matched by names defined per EE rules (traits, actions, etc.) and placed on the CT (combat tracker) entry for that PC/NPC if a match is found. Then there is a match for spells (powers really) where the name is matched and the spell/power definition (per EE rules) is matched and placed in the CT actions and also the PC(actions tab)/NPC(main tab) detailing out based on EE options you set to display. Now to define a spell you usually start with a dummy PC you use to create them - and add the spell in their using the add actions and stuff to flesh it out - this is a lot of different stuff I want explain here. This is then copied to the spell list to create the matching power (per EE rules) and you have effects/die rolls/etc. which you will NEVER see. You can also edit a spell directly into the spell list by pure text and pray the parser can do all you want when it translates it - but really - you got AE5E so you got all the cool stuff predefined (not dumb text but dummy PC used to create spell and then copy it over). So that's it in a nutshell. And as I told you - you have to replace the one currently defined. Want to see what is defined? Look at the match it created or drag the spell into a dummy PC to see what it has. Though based on your RAGE description automatically appearing I'm guessing its a custom effect match (thought it will also be defined in the power for those without EE or for effects that have to be triggered as custom effects are only for things you want to always be on the PC/NPC CT entry). That's as much time explaining I'm willing to do - the rest you can trial and error or read the .txt file in EE or posts in that thread or this one. FYI - RAGE is not something that should be in custom effects as if it matched it there you'd be in a rage as soon as your dropped something with it into the CT. Its something you manually trigger which will be defined int he spell (copied into PC dummy to see in its actions tab).

Wait I guess there is only a 1) :)

SilentRuin
January 5th, 2023, 04:55
I suppose the easy answer for you is to copy the rage spell - then drop your copy into a dummy PC - delete the spell list one - then modify it in dummy PC how you want and then copy it back with the name that will match (the same name you first copied)

MrDDT
January 5th, 2023, 05:29

Lets stop using the word "hardcoded" none of this so far is hardcoded. Example of hardcoded would be something that is in FGU already in the background and even that is sorta not fully hardcoded because many of them can be dipped into by exts. One good thing Smiteworks has done is allowed EXTs access to a lot of stuff.

Next, you use EE, so this is a simple fix. Create a mod with your custom effects coding.
How you do this is simple, make a new campaign, created the effect you want on a PC, drag the effect into the spells list. Then export the spells list by using the mod exporter.

Then you can use that mod on any table you want to use your custom effects on (of course DM would have to load the mod first)

then because using EE, you can set the mod order. So you would want your custom mod to be 1, then 5eAE to be 2. This will allow EE to trigger the correct spell effect to load on to the PC when they have this.
Now also you could simply move the correct spell over to the PC sheet that is from the correct mod instead of the one from 5eAE.

spencerg
January 5th, 2023, 06:42
bingo
click

thank you for the explanations -

bratch9
January 11th, 2023, 20:09
Never used spell tokens - is it compatible (for sure if they don't play nice and call other overrides of PowerManager.parseNPCPower then they will kill any intelligence for CT actions for sure) ? Moodule priority is only going to be respected by EE and AdvantagesCW. I doubt anyone else has it coded. And if there are conflicts - then there are conflicts. You'd have to ask someone who has experience in using all three - just letting you know that you should never expect something else to use module priority unless they code it to do so (unlikely). Plus make sure you have the options set that do that sort of thing in EE.

Due to load order, yours been 115 and mine been 110... your non-calling case of the overridden 'parseNPCPower' causes my version not to get called... as your code will skip the sub-call back down to the ruleset... when you return copyDeep before when you call 'return saveparseNPCPower(nodePower, bAllowSpellDataOverride);' at the end of your function.

To sort this you will need to call the 'bit' of code that I chain onto the ruleset code..

If you stick the couple lines above about line 480 in 'manager_equipped_effects.lua' this should resolve the issue in a safe way for people using or not my spell tokens..

-pete

EDIT: (note.)

The spell tokens extension does a name check with a number of stripping rules to work around a number of extension encoded format extras, which might need some work my side once the spell tokens 'addToken' is called in the case when you do not call the saved original function for parseNPCPower...

But from my checks once you turn on 'translate npc power' most NPC CT powers seem to use your copyDeep non-ruleset calling return and they all loose spell tokens obviously.

function parseNPCPower(nodePower, bAllowSpellDataOverride)
if SpellTokens_B9ST and SpellTokens_B9ST.addToken then
-- try and add the token
SpellTokens_B9ST.addToken(nodePower)
end
return UtilityManager.copyDeep(sortedpowerdata);

MrDDT
January 13th, 2023, 14:42
So I tested this issue with it not pulling up the tokens with 5eAE and EE; after changing B9 load order to 116 (1 after EE); ran a ton of testing and seems to be working just fine.

Leprekorn
January 13th, 2023, 15:41
So just need SR to update then?

MrDDT
January 13th, 2023, 15:42
So just need SR to update then?

No, B9 needs to update.
Spell Tokens doesn't have a loadorder currently, which means it defaults to 50

EE (SilentRuin AKA SR) is set to 115.

After setting B9 to 116, I had no issues.

Leprekorn
January 13th, 2023, 15:47
Ah right

bratch9
January 13th, 2023, 16:39
No, B9 needs to update.
Spell Tokens doesn't have a loadorder currently, which means it defaults to 50

EE (SilentRuin AKA SR) is set to 115.

After setting B9 to 116, I had no issues.

Your version of spell tokens should have 110 for load order..

I've updated it to 116, and updated forge and DMsGuild versions.

Thanks for doing tests as I did not have suitable data to test with as I dont use EE in any of my games.

-pete

MrDDT
January 13th, 2023, 16:40
Your version of spell tokens should have 110 for load order..

I've updated it to 116, and updated forge and DMsGuild versions.

Thanks for doing tests as I did not have suitable data to test with as I dont use EE in any of my games.

-pete

Yeah it did, sorry, it was 111. Moving it 116 fixed it.

I will check out this version from DMsG

Mirtul
March 12th, 2023, 21:13
Hi

I just bought automatic effects and it seems nifty, but I ran into an issue from the start.
I can't increase the daily number of barbarian rages beyond 2. I can pick 1 or 2, but if I choose a higher number than 2 it won't update and create more daily uses slots for me.

Is it a bug?

I have tried disabling all other extensions with no luck.

Leprekorn
March 12th, 2023, 21:14
You should be able to do it with your actions tab set to preperation.

Mirtul
March 12th, 2023, 21:16
Thank youuuuu!!!!

Cfloyd18
March 26th, 2023, 22:13
I noticed as of the lastest update a couple of weeks ago... this tool stopped working. All my players are seeing this when they go to their Actions tab. I can verify this when I pull up their sheets and go there to, I see this:

SilentRuin
March 26th, 2023, 22:58
I noticed as of the lastest update a couple of weeks ago... this tool stopped working. All my players are seeing this when they go to their Actions tab. I can verify this when I pull up their sheets and go there to, I see this:

It's called you need to turn off all extension and try to duplicate - then add one in and keep trying till you find the culprit causing that error. Then notify the author. It has nothing to do with this module. In fact you can tell from the "castbutton" which is an FGU button in windowclass "power_action_cast" that evidently someone has removed. Your job, if you choose to accept it, is to find out what extension you have that is doing this. Or what conflict is causing it. But I can tell you for sure it has nothing to do with a module (which is only data) and only to do with code - which typically if you use Equipped Effects with this you would file under that one. Except I don't do anything with "power action cast" and nobody else has reported this.

So find which extension is causing you grief - then ONLY after you insure you are running the latest version of ALL your extensions - you contact the author and tell them how to duplicate it. But I find it hard to believe DATA could cause this - but if you can duplicate it with no extensions at all - and just this mod - then I guess you'd have proven me wrong. And shocked me :)

MrDDT
March 27th, 2023, 06:29

Thanks for the report, as SR said you will need to find out which EXT is causing this, if you want to post on the Grim Press Discord we can help in real time better.

https://discord.gg/grimpress

Griogre
March 30th, 2023, 07:05
I noticed some typos in the Summaries of two spells:

Comprehend Languages the summary starts: "a, s, vsm, 1h, The ..." its missing the (R) tag and should be: "a, s, vsm, 1h, (R), The ..."

Sending the summary says: "a, -, vsm, 1r, Send a 25-words message to a creature you are familiar with, regardless of the distance or the plan. It can answer it." "plan" should be "plane"

Edit: Noticed another.
Knock summary says: "a, 60, v, i, Unlock or unbar 1 object (door, chest, padlock, set of manacles, etc) or suppressed the arcane lock spell for 10 minutes." "suppressed" should be just "suppress". Also, in the info effect "$ Knock; 'Surpres arcane lock" "'Surpres" should be "Suppress".

Lo Zeno
June 29th, 2023, 17:45
I absolutely love the automatic effects modules, but the releases have fallen behind a bit with the handbooks published by WoTC: in the spelljammer campaign I run, half of the characters have their racial abilities automated, the other half (those who chose Spelljammer specific races) must be handled by hand; Dragonlance is another great absent; Ravnica, Wildemount, Theros (just to mention a few campaigns I run) have never been ported to 5e Automated Effects; I understand not having an eta but the deafening silence almost makes it look like a dead project by now.

MrDDT
June 29th, 2023, 17:47
I absolutely love the automatic effects modules, but the releases have fallen behind a bit with the handbooks published by WoTC: in the spelljammer campaign I run, half of the characters have their racial abilities automated, the other half (those who chose Spelljammer specific races) must be handled by hand; Dragonlance is another great absent; Ravnica, Wildemount, Theros (just to mention a few campaigns I run) have never been ported to 5e Automated Effects; I understand not having an eta but the deafening silence almost makes it look like a dead project by now.

I believe the plan is to make them more automated by adding better coding using BCEG which has updated a lot of info, so its a large project.

Lo Zeno
June 29th, 2023, 18:01
I believe the plan is to make them more automated by adding better coding using BCEG which has updated a lot of info, so its a large project.

And that's understandable, but as I said: it's the deafening SILENCE the problem. This thread fell down a couple of pages in the forum, there's no communications to reassure users that things are brewing, there's nothing to stop users from deciding that investing their money in an alternative (e.g. mad nomad's extension with Rob2e modules) that is kept up to date regularly is better than waiting.
A smart publisher once said that silence is what kills your user base.

BushViper
June 29th, 2023, 18:18

As MrDDT said, the team behind BCEG is expanding its functionality. BCEG was already a tremendous amount of work, but adding direct support for another entire suite of extensions (which dramatically expand and improve BCEGs automation) it created orders of magnitude more work. FGU is a finnicky beast and requires perfection to work correctly. Writing and testing literally 1000s of code entries takes time. Particularly when it's the responsibility of a handful of people. There's no doubt that the BCE line of extensions is profitable, but no one is getting rich from them. Primarily because FGU is a niche market, but also because the opportunity cost is so high with it taking hundreds and hundreds of manhours to complete a product. More than anything, BCEG is a labor of love.

Obviously, I don't have a clue what your level of experience is with using FGU, but while you wait for the team to get caught up on the mountain of work they have in front of them, you can do exactly what they're doing, but on a much smaller scale and only set up the things you need instead of every ability, spell, feat, potion, condition, trap, poison, weapon, trait, etc., etc., etc.

All the information is readily available and another creator even went so far as to create a free extension (Effect Builder) where you can easily construct the same type of code (with a few exceptions) that the BCEG team is doing for everything.

Lo Zeno
June 29th, 2023, 18:28
As MrDDT said, the team behind BCEG is expanding its functionality. BCEG was already a tremendous amount of work, but adding direct support for another entire suite of extensions (which dramatically expand and improve BCEGs automation) it created orders of magnitude more work. FGU is a finnicky beast and requires perfection to work correctly. Writing and testing literally 1000s of code entries takes time. Particularly when it's the responsibility of a handful of people. There's no doubt that the BCE line of extensions is profitable, but no one is getting rich from them. Primarily because FGU is a niche market, but also because the opportunity cost is so high with it taking hundreds and hundreds of manhours to complete a product. More than anything, BCEG is a labor of love.

Obviously, I don't have a clue what your level of experience is with using FGU, but while you wait for the team to get caught up on the mountain of work they have in front of them, you can do exactly what they're doing, but on a much smaller scale and only set up the things you need instead of every ability, spell, feat, potion, condition, trap, poison, weapon, trait, etc., etc., etc.

All the information is readily available and another creator even went so far as to create a free extension (Effect Builder) where you can easily construct the same type of code (with a few exceptions) that the BCEG team is doing for everything.

To answer some of your questions, I might have the skills and tools (Effect Builder, as you say) to cover the parts that I need and are missing, but the amount of campaigns I'm running mean that most of my free time is used to write, prepare, adapt those campaigns; this is the very reason why I purchased the Automated Effects modules immediately after I found out of their existence, and that's basically the reason why everybody who buys non-free extensions and contents for FGU does it: we don't have the time, so we are willing to give money.

But that is missing the point of the post: the point I'm trying to make for the third time with this reply is that the damn silence does not help the users who are trying to decide if it's an investment worth doing or not. I'm obviously not good at making the point across, so I guess I'll apologise for wasting everyone's time.

BushViper
June 29th, 2023, 19:06
To answer some of your questions, I might have the skills and tools (Effect Builder, as you say) to cover the parts that I need and are missing, but the amount of campaigns I'm running mean that most of my free time is used to write, prepare, adapt those campaigns; this is the very reason why I purchased the Automated Effects modules immediately after I found out of their existence, and that's basically the reason why everybody who buys non-free extensions and contents for FGU does it: we don't have the time, so we are willing to give money.

But that is missing the point of the post: the point I'm trying to make for the third time with this reply is that the damn silence does not help the users who are trying to decide if it's an investment worth doing or not. I'm obviously not good at making the point across, so I guess I'll apologise for wasting everyone's time.

First, while I can't speak for anyone else, I can say that you're not wasting my time.

Also, I was writing my post when you replied to DDT about missing the fundamental point of your message and that's why I didn't address it directly.

That said, I genuinely can't speak on whether or not Aridhro is regularly communicating with the users of BCE(G) given that I don't use the forums much at all anymore. So, for now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that there isn't much happening on that front.

Now, part of me understands where you're coming from, but I also feel that your expectations of him (and/or the small BCE(G) team) might be a little misguided. The crew behind BCE(G) is constantly updating the extension by increasing functionality, streamlining performance, resolving conflicts with other extensions, rapidly restoring compatibility with FGU after disruptive patches, and more. If the BCE(G) team never did another thing with the extension, the price of admission has been WELL worth it.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the fact product releases have slowed down to a crawl. My lack of concern is partially driven by the fact that I understand what they're working towards and how much space it takes up on their metaphorical plate. However, I think the primary reason I'm not bothered by the relative silence is because I don't need them to code stuff for me. Certainly, having them do the work is a massive convenience, but it really doesn't take long to code the few things that come up session to session. Sometimes I even prefer to do it myself because there's usually several different ways to do things and the way they'll write it isn't always the way I would.

Obviously, our situations are completely different and from the sound of it, my approach is not a viable solution for you. Though I do wonder if the lack of content updates is making your numerous games objectively worse because you don't have time to do code tune-ups, wouldn't it make sense to reduce how frequently one of the campaigns plays or cut one of them entirely so that you do? I'm sure the immediate (and possibly correct) reaction to my recommendation is "I shouldn't have to do that," but even if Aridhro had made regular, bi-weekly forum posts humbly apologizing for not being able to keep pace with WotCs release schedule, would anything have really changed, for anyone?

Lo Zeno
June 29th, 2023, 19:13
First, while I can't speak for anyone else, I can say that you're not wasting my time.

Also, I was writing my post when you replied to DDT about missing the fundamental point of your message and that's why I didn't address it directly.

That said, I genuinely can't speak on whether or not Aridhro is regularly communicating with the users of BCE(G) given that I don't use the forums much at all anymore. So, for now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that there isn't much happening on that front.

Now, part of me understands where you're coming from, but I also feel that your expectations of him (and/or the small BCE(G) team) might be a little misguided. The crew behind BCE(G) is constantly updating the extension by increasing functionality, streamlining performance, resolving conflicts with other extensions, rapidly restoring compatibility with FGU after disruptive patches, and more. If the BCE(G) team never did another thing with the extension, the price of admission has been WELL worth it.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the fact product releases have slowed down to a crawl. My lack of concern is partially driven by the fact that I understand what they're working towards and how much space it takes up on their metaphorical plate. However, I think the primary reason I'm not bothered by the relative silence is because I don't need them to code stuff for me. Certainly, having them do the work is a massive convenience, but it really doesn't take long to code the few things that come up session to session. Sometimes I even prefer to do it myself because there's usually several different ways to do things and the way they'll write it isn't always the way I would.

Obviously, our situations are completely different and from the sound of it, my approach is not a viable solution for you. Though I do wonder if the lack of content updates is making your numerous games objectively worse because you don't have time to do code tune-ups, wouldn't it make sense to reduce how frequently one of the campaigns plays or cut one of them entirely so that you do? I'm sure the immediate (and possibly correct) reaction to my recommendation is "I shouldn't have to do that," but even if Aridhro had made regular, bi-weekly forum posts humbly apologizing for not being able to keep pace with WotCs release schedule, would anything have really changed, for anyone?

Here's the thing: in not taking about BCE(G), which has excellent communication about the advancements made and had active engagement with the user base, I'm taking specifically of the Automated Effects modules, which, while done by the same people and obviously integrated with BCE(G), are a separate line of products with a separate, if overlapping, use case. The communication here is lacking, and no it doesn't have to be apologies for the lack of news, that's a misguided view on what engagement with the users is: there's better and more constructive ways to engage and show that the line is not abandoned. And yes it would help, because I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide whether it's worth waiting for new Automated Effects modules to be released, doing what I can by myself either by hand on the spot or coding the few effects that my time allows while I wait, or should I bite the bullet and make another monetary investment in a "competitor" solution so to speak.

As for my personal situation: DMing is a source of income to me -not the only one, but not one I can afford to reduce right now. Simplifying the situation a lot. So reducing the frequency of some of my campaigns is something I considered, but I can't reasonably do at this particular moment in time.

Lo Zeno
June 29th, 2023, 19:20
To clarify something: it's not that the lack of content updates is making my games objectively worse, but some more contents would free up some much needed time from my game prep and game management. Time being a resource that I can only consume, not increase, means that I am trying to make the best decision that would shorten the time I have to dedicate to preparing and running the games

SilentRuin
June 30th, 2023, 14:28
Personally, when I did EE I was asked if I'd do data modules to go with it and refused. Its a horror show to build this type of data, not to mention a royal pain in the ***. I'm grateful someone else took up this thankless task to build these modules and I continue to use them "as is" currently.

Would it be nice to get a whole raft of new features put into them for no further expenditure by me since I already own them? Sure I love free stuff for no effort on my part, as I already have what I paid for, and am quite pleased with it.

But that's probably because I fully understand (having done SW5E data set for myself) that DATA sucks and is evil incarnate to manage and maintain.

So - while I agree I'd like lots of more stuff added in? Good enough - is good enough for me. Don't get me wrong there are holes in it I find occasionally - but I can do anything I really want myself. Its the vast bulk of data already defined correctly that is lazy enhancing to running my games which I like.

Still - I support your quest for fixes and more free stuff added in on top of what I paid for! I fully and unequivocally support the rallying cry of...

GIMMEE!!!

[Nor would I pretend its other than what it is :) ]

Lo Zeno
June 30th, 2023, 14:59
Personally, when I did EE I was asked if I'd do data modules to go with it and refused. Its a horror show to build this type of data, not to mention a royal pain in the ***. I'm grateful someone else took up this thankless task to build these modules and I continue to use them "as is" currently.

Would it be nice to get a whole raft of new features put into them for no further expenditure by me since I already own them? Sure I love free stuff for no effort on my part, as I already have what I paid for, and am quite pleased with it.

But that's probably because I fully understand (having done SW5E data set for myself) that DATA sucks and is evil incarnate to manage and maintain.

So - while I agree I'd like lots of more stuff added in? Good enough - is good enough for me. Don't get me wrong there are holes in it I find occasionally - but I can do anything I really want myself. Its the vast bulk of data already defined correctly that is lazy enhancing to running my games which I like.

Still - I support your quest for fixes and more free stuff added in on top of what I paid for! I fully and unequivocally support the rallying cry of...

GIMMEE!!!

[Nor would I pretend its other than what it is :) ]

...Who mentioned free stuff?
I'm talking about the Automatic Effects Modules (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?keywords=Automatic+Effects&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=) by Grim Press, Duncan Bachen, Trevor Armstrong, sold on DMsGuild, advertised at the beginning of this thread, which I have paid regularly (every single one of them). And what I am asking is to know if there will be (or not) more modules which I can buy and pay, to cover the D&D handbooks that have been printed, with their races, subclasses and items. Because as far as I can tell, that's the sales module of 5e Automatic Effect: each module covers one D&D handbook, and each module needs to be purchased separately, with its own price. Am I right or am I ****ing right?
I think I have made pretty clear that to me money and time are currencies, and where I can't spend time I am more than happy to spend money to do what otherwise I can't.

I really don't appreciate your sarcasm, SilentRuin. Go back and re-read my messages.

SilentRuin
June 30th, 2023, 15:20
...Who mentioned free stuff?
I'm talking about the Automatic Effects Modules (https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?keywords=Automatic+Effects&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=) by Grim Press, Duncan Bachen, Trevor Armstrong, sold on DMsGuild, advertised at the beginning of this thread, which I have paid regularly (every single one of them). And what I am asking is to know if there will be (or not) more modules which I can buy and pay, to cover the D&D handbooks that have been printed, with their races, subclasses and items. Because as far as I can tell, that's the sales module of 5e Automatic Effect: each module covers one D&D handbook, and each module needs to be purchased separately, with its own price. Am I right or am I ****ing right?
I think I have made pretty clear that to me money and time are currencies, and where I can't spend time I am more than happy to spend money to do what otherwise I can't.

I really don't appreciate your sarcasm, SilentRuin. Go back and re-read my messages.

I am talking about BCEG being readded into existing modules.. which they will get no more money for as I own them. I could care less about new modules as I have all the ones I plan to use. Perhaps I confused your ongoing conversation with others where BCEG was mentioned but that is the context I'm replying to. New modules? Don't care. Old ones with more fixes/enhancements/BCEG support? Sure! GIMMEE!

And I won't pretend that is any other type of request than give me more for free (as I already own it). If you want new modules? That's for you to decide and does not apply. For me - I'm all about the GIMMEE!

Interpret it as you see fit :)

Lo Zeno
June 30th, 2023, 15:24
This sentence here:

GIMMEE!!!

When my quest, as you call it, has zero to do with BCE(G), and has nothing to do with adding free stuff, has only one way of being interpreted and it is implying that I am whining like a baby clutching my hands to the air because I want free stuff.
Which means that either you haven't read zilch of what I was writing, or your reading comprehension needs some work.

Interpret those words as you see fit :)

dbachen
June 30th, 2023, 18:29
Howdy. The goal with 5eAE was always to cover the core rulebooks and then add the campaign settings (for which SpellJammer and Ravinica and Theros would be applicable) and other books over time. MotM was a huge undertaking because of the amount of new work and updates it required. Ari has previously taken requests for what books to work on next and we did have the campaigns in a voted priority order.

I know that IRL, Ari has started a different job and his availability is not what it once was. That, in combination with the MotM release, was a good time to take a pause. The same goes for me, who was doing the adventure modules. These were something we wanted to see what the appetite of the fan base was and whether it was worth continuing on. There wasn't a guarantee I would do all of them. I didn't own all of the adventures, so my goal was "did I make enough commission on the last adventure to buy the next one". That means it was *break even* proposition for me. There certainly isn't the $ in it that would make me quit my day job. Just for reference, CoS took over 100 hours to complete. I haven't been in a rush to start the next one.

Ari also had a stated goal of going back and updating many of the existing abilities. That is, not creating new content, but making the old content better for existing users. During that time, BCEG added many new features and so some things were in flux. That's why BCEG was brought up. We wanted to make things better, but wanted to make sure the active development on new BCEG features was slowing down so that work wasn't duplicated effort.

If anyone who has the experience needed to create the effects, the time available to dedicate to the project, attention to detail and would work to our standards, I would certainly entertain a discussion with you on working on one of books/modules not yet completed.

Lo Zeno
June 30th, 2023, 19:25
Thank you dbachen, this is the kind of info I was looking for, and more even.

PerfectConsumer
July 9th, 2023, 14:50
I have this wonderful product, and have started using Lingering Injuries in my game recently. I was going to create the effects, but noticed there was a Automatic Effects table already bundled in with this product. Problem is, I don't know how to use it, and cannot find documentation or receive an answer on the Discord server. Any advice from anyone would be most welcome.

Lo Zeno
July 12th, 2023, 11:04
I have this wonderful product, and have started using Lingering Injuries in my game recently. I was going to create the effects, but noticed there was a Automatic Effects table already bundled in with this product. Problem is, I don't know how to use it, and cannot find documentation or receive an answer on the Discord server. Any advice from anyone would be most welcome.

Is the product you're talking about this one from DMSguild (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/312996/Fantasy-Grounds-Automatic-Lingering-Effects) ? If so, it's a completely different product from 5E Automatic Effect, the one from DMSguild is made by Kent McCullough and Rob Twohy, so they are the best people to ask.

PerfectConsumer
July 12th, 2023, 18:48
Is the product you're talking about this one from DMSguild (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/312996/Fantasy-Grounds-Automatic-Lingering-Effects) ? If so, it's a completely different product from 5E Automatic Effect, the one from DMSguild is made by Kent McCullough and Rob Twohy, so they are the best people to ask.

Thanks. Sorry, it can be hard to keep track of where everything comes from. I appreciate the help.

PerfectConsumer
July 12th, 2023, 18:51
Thanks. Sorry, it can be hard to keep track of where everything comes from. I appreciate the help.
Actually, I don't have that. When searching my tables, I find one that is Automatic Lingering Injuries, and assumed that it was automated, but that I don't understand it. I guess I will write my own effects or something.

Lo Zeno
July 13th, 2023, 09:41
Actually, I don't have that. When searching my tables, I find one that is Automatic Lingering Injuries, and assumed that it was automated, but that I don't understand it. I guess I will write my own effects or something.

Automatic Lingering Injuries IS included in the one I linked from the DMSguild - check the link, it's indeed in the description of the page.
From a quick look to the instructions, you need to:
1) load the "Automatic Lingering Effects" extension from the Load Campaign screen
2) in your game's options, set "Lingering Injuries" to "On", or use your own
3) make sure you have a "Lingering Injuries" table with the effects of the injuries you need - either load the one from the Dungeon Master's Guide (if you have the FGU module of the Dungeon Master's Guide), or use your own.

That's what I see from the instructions. If these don't work, the only thing you can do is to ask for help in the author's Discord channel (http://discord.gg/rob2e)

Arnagus
July 29th, 2023, 14:48
Hello Aridhro,

I have a suggestion for improvement for the spells added through the "Automatic Effects" modules:
With the inclusion of sounds into Fantasy Grounds, it has become important that players have a "Cast" button for each spell (on their character's "Actions" tab), as otherwise, there is no sound trigger for the spell (it is bound to this "Cast"). Unfortunately, many spells from AE do not have the "Cast" action as there is no attack or saving throw required (I think the entries under a spell are called effects, but this is a bad naming as effects are only one type of... spell action, with attack, damage, heal, etc. other... actions for a spell).
It would be therefore very helpful to add an "empty" (meaning: not triggering attack or saving throw) "Cast" action, preferable as first action of the spell (also for those people using "Fantasy Grounds Combat Automation" by Xelab).

I have added this manually for my players, and it works like a charm (and finally: sound triggers for spells), but it would be helpful if all spells have it out of the box, especially as there is no in-game way to change the order of actions and it must be edited in the XML:

<id-00006>
<holder name="#####" owner="true" />
<order type="number">1</order>
<type type="string">cast</type>
</id-00006>

SilentRuin
July 29th, 2023, 15:42
Hello Aridhro,

I have a suggestion for improvement for the spells added through the "Automatic Effects" modules:
With the inclusion of sounds into Fantasy Grounds, it has become important that players have a "Cast" button for each spell (on their character's "Actions" tab), as otherwise, there is no sound trigger for the spell (it is bound to this "Cast"). Unfortunately, many spells from AE do not have the "Cast" action as there is no attack or saving throw required (I think the entries under a spell are called effects, but this is a bad naming as effects are only one type of... spell action, with attack, damage, heal, etc. other... actions for a spell).
It would be therefore very helpful to add an "empty" (meaning: not triggering attack or saving throw) "Cast" action, preferable as first action of the spell (also for those people using "Fantasy Grounds Combat Automation" by Xelab).

I have added this manually for my players, and it works like a charm (and finally: sound triggers for spells), but it would be helpful if all spells have it out of the box, especially as there is no in-game way to change the order of actions and it must be edited in the XML:

<id-00006>
<holder name="#####" owner="true" />
<order type="number">1</order>
<type type="string">cast</type>
</id-00006>

Cast? Not sure why you would ever depend on that. I define all my spells with chat...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=58340&d=1690641717

Arnagus
July 29th, 2023, 17:38
Well, cast is an existing trigger used by the Smiteworks/Syrinscape packages.
When you do it all yourself (like I did with AudioOverseer), yes - chat is a good choice.
But it is now implemented differently, therefore the suggestion.

SilentRuin
July 29th, 2023, 17:40
Well, cast is an existing trigger used by the Smiteworks/Syrinscape packages.
When you do it all yourself (like I did with AudioOverseer), yes - chat is a good choice.
But it is now implemented differently, therefore the suggestion.

As nobody knows when these modules will be updated again - I'd not wait to solve this. As you seem to have solved it for you I'd stick with that.

Arnagus
July 29th, 2023, 22:53
That's why I suggested my solution as an improvement. No problem to fix for me - but something others might benefit from, if implemented. To my understandig, Aridhro is planning to update the packages anyway, so he might consider this idea as well.

Leprekorn
July 30th, 2023, 07:12
So you need to click the cast button for the spell sound to trigger?

Arnagus
July 30th, 2023, 09:28
So you need to click the cast button for the spell sound to trigger?

If you use the official Sound Packages from SmiteWorks - yes, this is what triggers the sound.

However - as SilentRuin suggest - you can code the triggers yourself. In this case, it is recommended to rather use the chat action which gives you better control over what to trigger when (e.g. attack, damage applied, effect applied). Check AudioOverseer (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53583-AudioOverseer-(Audio-Management-Extension)) forum entries for recommendations on self-coding using chat.

Leprekorn
July 30th, 2023, 15:17
Thanks

SilentRuin
July 30th, 2023, 16:36
If you use the official Sound Packages from SmiteWorks - yes, this is what triggers the sound.

However - as SilentRuin suggest - you can code the triggers yourself. In this case, it is recommended to rather use the chat action which gives you better control over what to trigger when (e.g. attack, damage applied, effect applied). Check AudioOverseer (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53583-AudioOverseer-(Audio-Management-Extension)) forum entries for recommendations on self-coding using chat.

Actually I use VLC (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?78105-How-to-use-the-new-sound-triggers-in-discord-using-the-free-VLC-media-player) myself.

Leprekorn
July 31st, 2023, 07:59

Am I able to change the triggers myself to chat instead?

Arnagus
July 31st, 2023, 21:05
Am I able to change the triggers myself to chat instead?

You could purchase the sound packs, make a copy, recreate the triggers as chat, and export that module to use in any campaign.
However - the fact that all those triggers have been created is actually the value-add of the sound pack, so you could also create the triggers directly from scratch.

Arnagus
August 10th, 2023, 16:57
Since I still believe in the Cast button solution to trigger sounds, I have created a small perl script to update the AE modules. I obviously will not post any updated modules as they are sold and under copyright.
The script was tested with Eberron, Fizban, PHB, Sword Coast, Tasha, Volo and Xanathar (the ones containing automated spells).
Update (1): now also works with Strahd (use db.xml from the module)
Update (2): updates spells added from AE modules in character sheets for existing campaigns (campaign db.xml). BEWARE: depending on extensions loaded, this might add unforeseen entries into the character sheets which the script will not handle well. Always do a backup before and test extensively afterwards. Don't blame me if your players complain.

PREREQUISITE:

any perl environment (Cygwin, Linux, not tested on Windows - but I don't see a reason why it should not work there)
XML::LibXML package installed

USAGE FOR MODULES:

make a backup of your purchased AE mod file!
open the AE mod file with a Zip tool and extract client.xml (e.g. on Windows, right click and "open with..." as .mod is not a Zip tool associated file name extension)
place the client.xml into the folder where below script is located (I called it 'add_cast.pl')
run the script './add_cast.pl' - it should pick up the right file name (client.xml). If later on you need to manipulate another file (e.g. db.xml), run './add_cast.pl db.xml'
there will be a lot of debug output - I did not remove it to see what is actually done. A new file 'new_client.xml' was created (or 'new_db.xml' if you provided this file name)
if you want to see what was actually done, run 'diff -bwic client.xml new_client.xml' (on Linux, or Cygwin). You will notice a few unrelated replacements in XML (<dice></dice> -> <dice />, some & #00; -> & tagname; stuff) which has no impact (as far as I have seen)
rename 'new_client.xml' to 'client.xml' (careful, the original client.xml is still in the folder)
place the 'client.xml' back in the AE mod file via Zip. Modern Zip tools will have an UI like a Windows Explorer and update the archive when "dropped" into. Every tool is different here, you will need to figure out.

If you now pull a spell from the AE modules within Fantasy Grounds to a character, it will have a 'Cast' action as the very first action (unless there already was a Cast action, in this case, no change was done on the spell).

USAGE FOR CAMPAIGN DB.XML (Attention: high risk!)

make a backup of your campaign db.xml. Best create a copy of the whole folder.
copy the campaign db.xml into the folder where below script is located
run the script './add_cast.pl db.xml'
if you want to see what was actually done, run 'diff -bwic db.xml new_db.xml'
rename 'new_db.xml' to 'db.xml' (careful, the original db.xml is still in the folder)
place the 'db.xml' back in the campaign folder

Characters should now have a 'Cast' action on their spells unless it was already present.

This script is provided under Creative Commons Zero v1.0 Universal (https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) permissions. Copy, modify, distribute and use as you like.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;
use XML::LibXML;

my $indenting = 0; # the additional "Cast" action is added as single line (default: 0). This does not look nice in the module XML. If you prefer a proper indenting, change the value to 1. Beware: indenting is hard coded in perl to 2 white spaces, and it will redo ALL indenting. No way to change that - sorry!
my $xpath = q!/root/reference/spelldata/category[contains(@name,'Spell')]/*!; # usually client.xml (in modules)
my $xaltpath = q!/root/spell/category[contains(@name,'Spell')]/*!; # usually db.xml (in modules)
my $xcharpath = q!/root/charsheet/*/powers/*[.//group/text()='Spells']!; # usually db.xml (characters)

my $filename = shift || 'client.xml'; # if needed, provide db.xml as argument on command line (or any other file name)
open my $fh, '<', $filename;
binmode $fh; # drop all PerlIO layers possibly created by a use open pragma
my $dom = XML::LibXML->load_xml(IO => $fh);

my @spelldata = $dom->findnodes( $xpath );
@spelldata = $dom->findnodes( $xaltpath ) unless(@spelldata);
@spelldata = $dom->findnodes( $xcharpath ) unless(@spelldata);
foreach my $spell ( @spelldata ) {
print 'Name: '. $spell->findvalue('./name') ."\n";
my @actiondata = $spell->findnodes( './actions/*' );
my $cast = 0;
my $id = 0;
foreach my $action (@actiondata) {
my $type = $action->findvalue('./type');
my $order = $action->findvalue('./order');
next unless($type && $order);
my ($name) = ($action->nodeName() =~ /-(\d+)$/);

$cast++ if($type eq "cast");
if($name) {
$id = $name if($id < $name);
} else {
$name = $action->nodeName();
}

print $name ." Action(". $order ."): ". $type ."\n";
}
$id = sprintf("id-%05d", ++$id);
unless ($cast) {
print "Creating \'cast\' as ". $id ."\n";
my ($actionlist) = $spell->findnodes( './actions' );
my $newid = $dom->createElement( $id );
$actionlist->addChild($newid);

my $neworder = $dom->createElement( 'order' );
$neworder->{type} = 'number';
$neworder->appendText('0');
$newid->addChild($neworder);

my $newcast = $dom->createElement( 'type' );
$newcast->{type} = 'string';
$newcast->appendText('cast');
$newid->insertBefore($newcast, $neworder);

@actiondata = $spell->findnodes( './actions/*' );
foreach my $action (@actiondata) {
my $type = $action->findvalue('./type');
my ($orderelements) = $action->getChildrenByTagName('order');
next unless($type && $orderelements);
my $order = $orderelements->firstChild;
my ($name) = ($action->nodeName() =~ /-(\d+)$/);
$name = $action->nodeName() unless($name);

$order->setData(($order->nodeValue) +1);

print "-> ". $name ." Action(". $order ."): ". $type ."\n";
}
}
print "\n";
}

if($indenting) {
foreach ($dom->findnodes('//text()')) {
$_->parentNode->removeChild($_) unless /\S/;
}
}
open my $out, '>', 'new_'. $filename;
binmode $out; # as above
$dom->toFH($out, $indenting);

MrDDT
August 10th, 2023, 18:24
Nice I will have to try it out.

SmackDaddy
August 11th, 2023, 00:49
Nice I will have to try it out.

If you try it out and it works, can someone post a pic of what it adds or should look like on the character sheet? I thought all of the spells added to the player's CS had a "Cast" action button. Basically this just makes it so that Syrinscape sound is kicked off at the time of casting?

Arnagus
August 11th, 2023, 10:40
I thought all of the spells added to the player's CS had a "Cast" action button.

That is unfortunately not correct. Spells from the AE module only have the necessary actions. If no attack or save is needed for the spell, the Cast action is omitted. That was never a problem - before the sound implementation in Fantasy Grounds, which is bound to several triggers (cast, attack, chat). The official packages for Syrinscape unfortunately use Cast as trigger for the spell sound.
This script now adds a Cast action first in line for spells where there is no Cast action already.

Note: if you do not use the official Syrinscape package and rather code yourself, you are better off with Lua pattern matches and the Chat trigger, as SilentRuin already pointed out (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects&p=693865&viewfull=1#post693865).

can someone post a pic of what it adds or should look like on the character sheet?

Attached screenshot explained:
Left side, you see the Wizard with updated spells, right side was created with original modules. An "empty" (meaning: no attack or save) Cast action has been added (highlighted in green) but spells with existing Cast action were left alone. Pressing the Cast action will trigger the Syrinscape sound.

Leprekorn
August 11th, 2023, 11:06
Does it add it to the cs if the spell is already there and the spell list side panel?

Arnagus
August 11th, 2023, 11:55
Does it add it to the cs if the spell is already there and the spell list side panel?

Now it does

ORIGINAL:
No, that will not work (but might be an interesting idea to parse the campaign db.xml).
The script will only update the AE module. Once a spell is attached to a character, a copy of the spell is created (in its current state). Even if the module is updated, the copy will remain as is.
You can however remove the spell and re-add it from the updated module.

Leprekorn
August 11th, 2023, 12:03
Thanks

Arnagus
August 11th, 2023, 13:22
Thanks

Capability to process campaign db.xml added.
BE VERY careful - only tested on my campaign.
While the AE module db.xml & client.xml are the same for all of us, the campaign db.xml varies widely, depending on extensions and modules loaded. It currently only updates spells from the "Spells" group (which is the group name for spells added from AE modules). It does not touch other groups and tries to ignore surprising entries (like node names not using id-00000 in the XML). No guarantee that it works for everyone.

Script has been updated here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67481-5E-Automatic-Effects&p=694730&viewfull=1#post694730)

Grinster
September 25th, 2023, 20:57
I need to ask a very "noobish" question about the 5E Automatic Effects from Grim Press. I just purchased a bundled package of these effects from the Dungeon Masters Guild site and the files downloaded correctly to my computer. However I do not see any instructional documents on how to integrate these additions into the the FGU program. I've checked the Dungeon Master Guild site, The Grim Press site, and this thread, but have yet to find any sort of instruction on how to integrate these additions. Could someone please point me in the right direction to do so?

MrDDT
September 25th, 2023, 22:47
I need to ask a very "noobish" question about the 5E Automatic Effects from Grim Press. I just purchased a bundled package of these effects from the Dungeon Masters Guild site and the files downloaded correctly to my computer. However I do not see any instructional documents on how to integrate these additions into the the FGU program. I've checked the Dungeon Master Guild site, The Grim Press site, and this thread, but have yet to find any sort of instruction on how to integrate these additions. Could someone please point me in the right direction to do so?

You load the module(s) while in FGU. Do you know how to load a module?

If you want faster answers you can also hit us up on discord at https://discord.gg/grimpress (http://discord.gg/grimpress)

Grinster
September 26th, 2023, 04:10
Thanks! I found what I needed on the Discord channel. Very easy fix.

Halahad
September 29th, 2023, 03:44
Hello. Very great job.
Can you help me? I'm trying to make sure that the effect I created is applied to the character automatically, like Dwarven Resilience (€ Dwarven Resilience; RESIST: poison). As far as I understand, to do this you need to put a € sign at the beginning of the effect. I did it, but the effect still does not apply. What am I doing wrong?

MrDDT
September 29th, 2023, 08:53
Hello. Very great job.
Can you help me? I'm trying to make sure that the effect I created is applied to the character automatically, like Dwarven Resilience (€ Dwarven Resilience; RESIST: poison). As far as I understand, to do this you need to put a € sign at the beginning of the effect. I did it, but the effect still does not apply. What am I doing wrong?

€ is not needed, do you have the trait on the character sheet?
€ is used as a symbol to show that it is an automatically done if you have EE, so really it's parsed out by EE to not be used haha =P

I will hit you up on discord, and talk to you about the other effects of items you were talking to me about.

dbachen
September 29th, 2023, 12:35
Hello. Very great job.

You don't have to touch the effect names at all.. those prefixes are just an indicator on whether the effect should be targeting you or someone else so you know how to apply it. 5eAE itself doesn't apply those traits to the character/npc. if you are using Equipped Effects, it will happen automatically. If you aren't, then you still have the effects, but you have to apply them manually.