PDA

View Full Version : Poor performance on Mac

Fuseki
March 29th, 2021, 01:57
Was trying to demo FGU for my players and my Mac player had incredible difficulty in playing. It was virtually unplayable for him and the delay to open a map was like 20 seconds or more. Here are the stats of his machine (below). He is running the Mac client and I tried disabling all extensions to little avail. The only thing we didnt try is going port to port vs Cloud.

2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

LordEntrails
March 29th, 2021, 03:10
Please quantify poor performance. As some folks think a 1 second delay when opening a window is unplayable, while others reserve that term for when a window doesn't open after 2 minutes, and everything in between. Plus there are all different types of reasons people indicate poor performance; frame rate, response times, initial load/join times, chat delays, map update delays, etc.

Also, it would be very useful to have the logs, to know if they tried the /vsync option, to know what resources they had loaded, what ruleset, what resources the GM has loaded, what the players network connection is like. Plus, as always can be the case, had they recently restarted their computer and what other applications were they using?

damned
March 29th, 2021, 05:32
Have the player try setting (via chat)

/vsync 0
/vsync 2
/vsync 4

Try them one at a time and see if one of those works better for your player.

Fuseki
March 29th, 2021, 18:29
Yes to vsync. It takes about 20 seconds to 2 minutes to open anything in Fantasy Grounds on this Mac. I mentioned this in the post but it looks like you glossed over that info.

He was running only Discord along with it as we use for communication. Network spped was not an issue for either of us as we are both on high speed connections. This only affected the Mac user and I have seen a ton of threads complaining of this same thing.

Yes to restarting the Mac. Ruleset was Cthulhu. I disabled all extension and to no avail. It was issues with opening the app, clicking windows, basically everything was incredibly slow. Again 1 to 2 minutes to move a token or open a window is not acceptable when his machine meets the requirements.

I'll try to gather logs.

ddavison
March 29th, 2021, 18:55
There are a few different things which apply to opening a map. The first thing is the network speed to transfer it from you to him and whether anything is throttling that transfer. The GM's upload speeds is important here and not the download speed since the GM has to send it to each connected player. If other players receive the map significantly faster than someone else, then your upload speed is not likely involved with any slowness. Are all your players located in the same location or are you in vastly different regions around the world? Twenty seconds to receive a large map might be appropriate for the initial transfer. With a slow upload speed and a very large map or image, 2 mins could potentially still be accurate, but highly unusual. Anything more than a few seconds to open a window is not normal behavior on Mac or any platform. Spec-wise, the Mac you listed should be plenty fast and should not have these delays. We have a number of Macs we use for testing and don't see anything like that in testing. Either way, there's a big difference from 20 seconds and up to 2 minutes.

Once the map is loaded the first time, have them drop it down to a hotkey bar from the shortcut and then close the map window. Then have them click on the hotkey again and see if it pops up immediately or still takes a long time to load.
Have them load a blank campaign (like 5E) and the SRD modules and then have them click around to open up windows. Do they seem the same performance with assets that are all local?
Have them type in /console and look for any error messages. You can capture the logs from there and they can email this to [email protected] for review
If they have the capability to create a small sample video showing what they are seeing, that would be helpful in trying to discover what might be going on for your player.

Fuseki
March 29th, 2021, 18:56
Will do as you outlined. But again the 2 minute delay was not only for opening maps. Was all around.

LordEntrails
March 29th, 2021, 22:02
So once they click the "Story" icon it takes 2 minutes for the list of available story entries to load?
Does it take two minutes for them to have dice rolls resolved? What about if another player types in chat? Is their chat log 2 minutes delayed?
Does it only take 2 minutes the first time they open an image or each time they open the same image (without it being cleared and during the same session) it takes 2 minutes?

Fuseki
March 30th, 2021, 01:06
We tried your suggestion. He was able to connect today with no issues so we are a bit shocked as yesterday the client brought his machine to is knees. I've advised him to keep trying throughout the week to see if we can recreate the issue.

Thank you for your support. I will reply back if we encounter this again.

LordEntrails
March 30th, 2021, 04:19
If it does happen again, please try and remember to have both you and the player grab logs shortly after at nearly the same time. You can do this by typing "/console" in the chat, then click the Compile Logs button on the window that comes up. Also try to detail what you were doing just prior to the issue, and if you can capture system information like how much memory FG is using and any network info would be helpful as well.

Good luck going forward and happy gaming :)

Fuseki
March 30th, 2021, 15:09
If it does happen again, please try and remember to have both you and the player grab logs shortly after at nearly the same time. You can do this by typing "/console" in the chat, then click the Compile Logs button on the window that comes up. Also try to detail what you were doing just prior to the issue, and if you can capture system information like how much memory FG is using and any network info would be helpful as well.

Good luck going forward and happy gaming :)

Will do. I am so glad that this appears to have been a one-time issue so far <crosses-fingers>. So far, I really enjoy the product as a GM and am really excited to explore this more.

macDsinfo
March 30th, 2021, 16:27
what exactly do the sync settings do? thx

Have the player try setting (via chat)

/vsync 0
/vsync 2
/vsync 4

Try them one at a time and see if one of those works better for your player.

LordEntrails
March 30th, 2021, 18:38
what exactly do the sync settings do? thx
Good summary here;

"/vsync [0-4]" command to allow us to adjust this option with users that might still have connection issues, until we're sure we understand completely. (0 = fixed 60 fps, 1 = match OS frame rate, 2 = half OS frame rate, 3 = third OS frame rate, 4 = quarter OS frame rate)