PDA

View Full Version : Cannot share Fantasy Grounds campaign (Classic) with players

Gobiwann
March 28th, 2021, 15:29
I am really not sure what is going on this morning?

I am trying to share my campaign with some friends, we have not had this issue since last year. But I am not able to share.

The connection test comes up as an "Failure". The puzzling thing is that nothing has changed from our last session (two weeks ago).

I have checked my port 1802, which is open.
I have have checked the my internet connection which is good because we use Discord and Syrinscape...

Very confused, any help or ideas?

Sulimo
March 28th, 2021, 18:42
Your ISP may be trying to protect you.

ISPs have been known to change things without informing their users.

Have a look here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53461-Comcast-XFinity-Cox-and-Shaw-Communications-Users-Important), I know it says Comcast, Cox, Shaw, but even if you are not using those ISPs, your ISP may have implemented something similar.

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2021, 19:10
Other things too check are that your networks is still set to private and it wouldn't be a bad idea to refresh your exception rule in your ant-virius.

Griogre
March 28th, 2021, 20:13
Also in classic, make sure you local IP didn't change for some reason.

Gobiwann
March 28th, 2021, 23:11
Yes.

I actually tried all of those things. Very frustrating to try navigating through it all and to get nowhere.

I am really just not sure what has happened? I have had no issues with my port forwarding for 10 months or so..?! We ended up just running a game through Discord and D&D Beyond, but not at all ideal.
I am thinking it may be time to transfer my campaign over to Unity, but I am a little afraid that I will lose all my notes from the Classic version.

I really appreciate your help with this.

Zacchaeus
March 28th, 2021, 23:14
You can transfer your campaign over to Unity without losing anything.

Gobiwann
March 28th, 2021, 23:19
In order to do this efficiently, I should unload all my extensions, correct?

Then create a new campaign in Unity. The latest save file from the classic version I save into the new Unity campaign folder, then open and check the content?

If everything is good, I can then just reload my extensions; though I should do so 1-by-1. Is this right?

damned
March 28th, 2021, 23:41
Copy the whole folder over from \campaigns
you can deselect the extensions or download fresh ones (the latest versions) into the fgu /extensions path

Gobiwann
March 29th, 2021, 01:36
Well thanks "Damned"!

I transferred over my Curse of Strahd Campaign with absolute ease! Copied the campaign and transferred it to Unity and opened it up and "Viola!", there is was!

All the notes - intact,
PCs and NPCs - intact
Hot Keys - intact
Combat Tracker - intact
Dice Colour - intact
Decal - Intact

... as a matter of fact I have the extension for "Last Window" and it opened up from where I left off today when tracking our game! So friggin' easy!

------

So I thought to do the same with my other campaign for Tomb of Annihilation, but I was not so successful..

No Characters,
No notes,
No loaded combat tracker
No Background decal..

.. the only thing that DID transfer over were the Dice Colour and the Hot Keys...

So what happened with this upload? Any ideas?

Griogre
March 29th, 2021, 05:02
It's sounds like you transfered a campaign that did not have the characters in it. Maybe a prep campaign?

Zacchaeus
March 29th, 2021, 09:26
Most likely reason is that an extension has added code too the db.xml which Unity doesn't recognise and so only loads part of the db.xml file for the campaign. I'm not sure there is a solution other than going through the db.xml and removing the code that isn't liked.

Gobiwann
March 30th, 2021, 03:21
Most likely reason is that an extension has added code too the db.xml which Unity doesn't recognise and so only loads part of the db.xml file for the campaign. I'm not sure there is a solution other than going through the db.xml and removing the code that isn't liked.

Ok.

I will give that a try. So in my classic campaign folder I have a bunch of saved game sessions from last year (03/20). Should I just only copy the latest session from the db.xml? If that doesn’t work then keep backing up from the save session before that? To at least salvage as much as possible?

Or is there another file that I should be looking at?

Thanks for you help..

Gobiwann
March 30th, 2021, 03:22
No it was definitely my set campaign.. checked that a few times...

damned
March 30th, 2021, 06:30
Please zip up the db.xml and a recent backup db.xml and post them here.

Gobiwann
March 31st, 2021, 02:06
Please zip up the db.xml and a recent backup db.xml and post them here.

Damned, I apologize for my ignorance, but I sent you over the whole dbbackup files.. hopefully this helps.

Again I really appreciate your time and effort!

damned
March 31st, 2021, 02:23
When you load up the campaign it tells you that there is an error and it tells you the line number

You have three items/objects that start with _ in their name

<Item:_Ring_of_Brightness_Light__T___>
<holder name="Tyrell" owner="true" />
<ID type="number">0</ID>
<circle_token type="number">1</circle_token>
<cone_token type="number">0</cone_token>
<measurenumber type="number">20</measurenumber>
<sizefactor type="string">Measurement</sizefactor>
<targettoken type="number">0</targettoken>
</Item:_Ring_of_Brightness_Light__T___>

These are breaking your campaign file.

Here is a working version but you should have a look at the console log and see the errors first.
They will only appear the first time you load up the copied file because after that the data all fails to load from the error onwards and then overwrites the db.

Moon Wizard
March 31st, 2021, 02:29
By the way, it's definitely an extension adding those invalid XML tags. Make sure you turn off any extensions until you can verify which one is causing those changes; and ask the developer for an update that doesn't do that.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
March 31st, 2021, 02:33
And, I believe that the underscores are fine; but the colon is what is killing the load.

JPG

Gobiwann
March 31st, 2021, 03:33
When you load up the campaign it tells you that there is an error and it tells you the line number

You have three items/objects that start with _ in their name

<Item:_Ring_of_Brightness_Light__T___>
<holder name="Tyrell" owner="true" />
<ID type="number">0</ID>
<circle_token type="number">1</circle_token>
<cone_token type="number">0</cone_token>
<measurenumber type="number">20</measurenumber>
<sizefactor type="string">Measurement</sizefactor>
<targettoken type="number">0</targettoken>
</Item:_Ring_of_Brightness_Light__T___>

These are breaking your campaign file.

Here is a working version but you should have a look at the console log and see the errors first.
They will only appear the first time you load up the copied file because after that the data all fails to load from the error onwards and then overwrites the db.

Oh .. that Ring? Man that was my attempt at making an item. I didn’t notice that the load up referred to it though. Thank you!

I honestly have not had a chance to get on Fantasy Ground yet, just answering this from my phone. I will let you know how it all goes when I am able to try this again.

Thank you for everything!

Gobiwann
March 31st, 2021, 03:41
I will definitely unload all my extensions and then add them one by one when I get it set up on Unity.

The odd thing is I use a lot of the same extensions in my other campaign (Curse if Strahd) and it transferred over easily..

damned
March 31st, 2021, 03:41
And, I believe that the underscores are fine; but the colon is what is killing the load.

JPG

Yes you are right - it was the colon.

damned
March 31st, 2021, 03:54
I will definitely unload all my extensions and then add them one by one when I get it set up on Unity.

The odd thing is I use a lot of the same extensions in my other campaign (Curse if Strahd) and it transferred over easily..

Its because there were 3 entries created with : in the name.

Gobiwann
April 1st, 2021, 02:16
Well it worked!

I owe you guys! Thanks so much for your help. I am going to go through the campaign; updating my tokens, correcting the item errors and then i will update my extensions and purge those I am not using.

Again thank you!