PDA

View Full Version : Unity questions/possible suggestions?

FateStCloud
March 24th, 2021, 04:52
Hey everyone! delving into the test version of the Unity to play with all the fun features and I had a couple of questions regarding it and what can be done.

1. I noticed a pitfall option in the map settings, I was wondering can this be used to link together two maps or perhaps another section of the map? for instance, player falls through pitfall A. and lands in map B.? Basically is it possible to set up a "Door" to another level of the dungeon?

2. Is it possible to set weather effects to affect combat?

3. Can players activate torch lighting on their turn or is this a DM only thing?

4. Is it possible to have a 'looping' map, for instance a map for a chase scene in a desert or on the ocean?

Any information on these things or how to "Macguyver" it would be awesome

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2021, 10:15
1. No.
2. You can set weather fx; if you want that to affect anything you'd need to set up effects for it. The fx themselves don't interact with tokens in any way.
3. Players can set up effects in their own actions tab and activate them.
4. Not sure what you mean really. You can have several maps joined together if you wanted to but if you mean can you join one end of a map to the other end so it forms a cylinder or something like that then no.

HywelPhillips
March 24th, 2021, 10:59
There is an extension, Portals, which can facilitate transporting people from one map to another or between sections of maps. It's on DMSGuild here:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/323471/Fantasy-Grounds-Portals--REVAMPED

It works pretty well but only handles "door" transport that happen at a single point, not zones. So it's only a partial solution. You could set up a portal pair for each edge square on a looping map but that might be a bit of a flog to do with a big map. Nonetheless, my players enjoy it when they fall down a pit and it transports them to a new map that the rest of the party can't see yet.

Cheers, Hywel