PDA

View Full Version : Beta Release v4.1 - Character selection for lighting effects difficult

aulyre
March 23rd, 2021, 04:19
Hello,

First off, I want to thank you for these lighting and vision effects. Really fantastic.

I noticed as a DM that it was very difficult to be sure that I had a token high-lighted to apply effects to and then to be sure the lighting or vision effect was applied (per other posts, darkvision / dim-light seem to conflict - I helped to get over this by applying a different color to the light for lanterns / torches, etc). I would love if there was a bright red circle around the selected token (or something like this) to indicate I have the correct token selected. It would be nice if there was an icon or something to indicate that a vision or lighting effect was in effect.

I couldn't seem to get the default senses or combat tracker effects to auto-apply (I am using 5e). I am not sure if that was me or the application. More detailed youtube instructions would be helpful.

Good news - players with older PCs saw better performance.. have no idea why, but they were very happy.

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2021, 10:38
The selected token does have a bright ring around it as you can see from the graphic below.

Effects don't auto-apply; you have to create the effect in the action tab and then apply the effect from there once the character is on the CT. A character with Darkvision will automatically get that vision when placed on the map (by dragging from the CT). Are you saying you aren't seeing this?

Brief video on lighting here. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity&p=492112#post492112
And more detailed ones here. https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1312784387/Adding+Lights+to+Maps+and+Tokens

Kelrugem
March 23rd, 2021, 13:03
I think with the automatic apply was the senses field meant? Not sure about 5e now, but in 3.5e there is a senses field in the PC sheet and it should normally automatically apply some vision without the need of an effect :) (EDIT: So, it just works, it won't be an effect as bmos wrote)

bmos
March 23rd, 2021, 13:16
I think it's good that the darkvision ability is added without cluttering up the effects list, but it confused me at first also because I assumed it was going to work like energy resistance where it populated as an effect.

aulyre
March 23rd, 2021, 21:12
Yeah, characters with darkvision in the senses on the main tab didn't seem to have darkvision when I added them from the CT to the map and had lighting turned on on the map. I can try again - maybe it's just user error?

aulyre
March 23rd, 2021, 21:33
Also, I added the effect to the character on the CT per the syntax LIGHT: 20' torch. I tried also LIGHT: 20 torch and LIGHT: 20 ft. torch - no luck on lighting showing up on the character. ??

I have attached a screenshot of a sample character that has Darkvision in their senses and also a light effect and neither is displaying on the map. I noticed my NPCs with Darkvision are also not displaying darkvision on the maps either until I edit their token.

Screenshot of lighting applied directly to a different token on the same map.

Kelrugem
March 23rd, 2021, 21:40
Also, I added the effect to the character on the CT per the syntax LIGHT: 20' torch. I tried also LIGHT: 20 torch and LIGHT: 20 ft. torch - no luck on lighting showing up on the character. ??

Did you turn on the Dynamic lighting in the sidebar?

aulyre
March 24th, 2021, 00:07
Yes, tokens where I have set up the lighting and vision on the token have lighting and vision (per my second screenshot).

Kelrugem
March 24th, 2021, 00:12
Yes, tokens where I have set up the lighting and vision on the token have lighting and vision (per my second screenshot).

Ah, I didn't see your screenshots :) On one hand it does not look like that you have the token selected (you have the one with the big red circle selected), and on the other hand I can see in your toolbar that you run an extension :) Could you turn off all extensions and test again?

bmos
March 24th, 2021, 00:22
Ah, I didn't see your screenshots :) On one hand it does not look like that you have the token selected (you have the one with the big red circle selected), and on the other hand I can see in your toolbar that you run an extension :) Could you turn off all extensions and test again?Maybe you should make the giant red warning on the top of your extension page bigger ;)

Kelrugem
March 24th, 2021, 00:36
Maybe you should make the giant red warning on the top of your extension page bigger ;)

:D

It is 5e, so, I didn't suspect my extension :D I think it is this one: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66315-CoreRPG-Wound-Overlay, because it also uses icons from tahl_liadon as far as I remember :) (daddyogreman also asked tahl_liadon, I think, hence, that skull icon :) )

@aulyre: Since you're on the test server it can be a bit tricky to use extensions which are normally only for the live server, they may or may not need an update for the stuff coming from the test server :)

aulyre
March 24th, 2021, 01:07
ahhhhh..... yup. I will disable all extensions!

aulyre
March 24th, 2021, 06:16
:D

It is 5e, so, I didn't suspect my extension :D I think it is this one: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66315-CoreRPG-Wound-Overlay, because it also uses icons from tahl_liadon as far as I remember :) (daddyogreman also asked tahl_liadon, I think, hence, that skull icon :) )

@aulyre: Since you're on the test server it can be a bit tricky to use extensions which are normally only for the live server, they may or may not need an update for the stuff coming from the test server :)

YEP! It was the Height extension that was messing my session up. I just copied my campaign over wholesale and didn't think about disabling the extension. Thank you for your help everyone!

Kelrugem
March 24th, 2021, 12:52
YEP! It was the Height extension that was messing my session up. I just copied my campaign over wholesale and didn't think about disabling the extension. Thank you for your help everyone!

Which of the existing height extensions? (Out of curiosity because I also developed one of such extensions :D I just tested and my height extension works in Test (but I may need to update nevertheless, I will check once it is live), so, in case it was my extension, then the culprit was maybe in combination with your other extensions :) )

aulyre
March 24th, 2021, 21:45
Which of the existing height extensions? (Out of curiosity because I also developed one of such extensions :D I just tested and my height extension works in Test (but I may need to update nevertheless, I will check once it is live), so, in case it was my extension, then the culprit was maybe in combination with your other extensions :) )

Hi, it was yours, actually. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51005-Extension-Height-label

I use Height medium.ext.

Maybe I am using an older version and need to update?

Kelrugem
March 24th, 2021, 21:49
Hi, it was yours, actually. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51005-Extension-Height-label

I use Height medium.ext.

Maybe I am using an older version and need to update?

Yes, I updated it somewhen in the last weeks :) (actually because of the lighting stuff; so, an update may help :) )

aulyre
March 24th, 2021, 22:27
Yes, I updated it somewhen in the last weeks :) (actually because of the lighting stuff; so, an update may help :) )

O, great! I will redownload and test tonight.

aulyre
March 24th, 2021, 23:04
I tested and it works! Thank you!

Kelrugem
March 24th, 2021, 23:22
I tested and it works! Thank you!

Cool :)