PDA

View Full Version : Question for XML Junkies - Whats the best XML editor?

SirJoe
July 6th, 2007, 04:39
Hey ya.

I generally program in Visual Studio (mostly vb.net, gdi+ and mobile aps) and my exposure to XML has been through that environmnet.

However, I was wondering what XML editors are in use within this community. I'd like to port over some of my fav. rules to FG and thus would like a quick, well-organized editor for the job.

On another note, I *think* it should be possible to write a small utility that reads in the FG2 xml tables and makes it possible to add items, spells, feats, etc. using a simple spreadsheet-like UI. This is not the same as a full mod of the rule-sets, just editing existing items.

Has anyone does this before? I did see the rule-set editor for FG1 up for alpha test, so if the FG2 version of this is close by, I'll just wait for that instead of doing a half-job and confusing that guys market.

Cheers,
JS

Valarian
July 6th, 2007, 08:21
I use JEdit (https://www.jedit.org), a free text editor with code highlighting. It's got several plugins for XML.

Hamish
July 6th, 2007, 09:01
I use XML Notepad from MS and Notepad++

mr_h
July 6th, 2007, 14:03
I use XML Copy Editor (https://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net/). I'm no 'expert' on xml/http/programming/whatever but it's been pretty nice to me.

joshuha
July 6th, 2007, 14:23
Notepad++ because it helps with the XML and LUA code highlighting.

sloejack
July 6th, 2007, 17:34
However, I was wondering what XML editors are in use within this community. I'd like to port over some of my fav. rules to FG and thus would like a quick, well-organized editor for the job.

I'll throw my vote towards notepad++ for the same reasons that Joshuha mentioned in addition to a few other features like plugins to check xml syntax for you which makes catching typos and unclosed tags a breeze.

On another note, I *think* it should be possible to write a small utility that reads in the FG2 xml tables and makes it possible to add items, spells, feats, etc. using a simple spreadsheet-like UI. This is not the same as a full mod of the rule-sets, just editing existing items.

Has anyone does this before? I did see the rule-set editor for FG1 up for alpha test, so if the FG2 version of this is close by, I'll just wait for that instead of doing a half-job and confusing that guys market.

I believe there is at least one effort in alpha/beta testing to do this. Generally speaking though, based on your experience I think that once you start looking at how the various window frame structures are put together you'll be able to write something like this yourself.

Personally I'm using PERL to convert text/rtf/pdf/html documents with rulebook information into FG formatted xml which isn't exactly what you were refering to with the spreadsheet like editor but since you mentioned about converting your rulebooks I thought I would mentioned that I've found it easier to write conversion tools rather than try to copy and paste into another tool (or FG itself).

Oberoten
July 6th, 2007, 22:24
Pretty much in love with Notepad++ for it's multiple tabs and the support for LUA and XML tags.

Kalan
July 6th, 2007, 22:30
Right now I'm usin the Oxygen 30 day licence thing...and really like it. I've used Notepad++ too, but can't get the syntax check thing to work :S Oxygen does that, and has a nice tree structure for quick browsing of the structure...

ldyparadox99
July 8th, 2007, 08:16
I used to use Crimson but switched over to Oxygen when FG2 was released. The way the modules are set up, Oxygen really allows you to do quicker editing the way the windows are set up. The upside is it seems you can keep getting as many 30 day free trials as you have emails, the downside is once you run out you need to pay. The private/student license is only about $49 usd, which I'll eventually buy more than likely because I'm hooked.

Stebby Surehand
July 9th, 2007, 04:23
For what it's worth, I've been very happy with XML Pad (https://www.wmhelp.com/xmlpad3.htm), it's freeware yet has tons of features, including a very helpful "grid view" option.

Cheers,
~Stebby

Foen
July 10th, 2007, 07:22
For what it's worth, I use VS 2005. It handles the XML quite well, but doesn't give me much support with Lua.

I use VS because that's the tool I use for other development work and web programming. Shameless plug: why not check out my FG website at Withered Lands Campaign (https://www.witheredlands.co.uk)

*grin*

Stuart
(Foen)

emb
July 12th, 2007, 16:32
I vote for Notepad++ too. It's great (and free)

Valarian
July 12th, 2007, 16:36
I downloaded and tried out Notepad++. AVG Antivirus quarantined it as a trojan.

emb
July 13th, 2007, 20:47
Another reason you shouldn't have antivirus software on your computer.

Just run trendmicro's housecall every couple of months and call it good.

Stupid antivirus programs. I could just ..

Anyway, it's spam/virus free. (Download it from the sourceforge project page. If you search Notepad++, it's the first link in google. Click, then click download, and you'll find it. )

joshuha
July 13th, 2007, 20:51
Well Notepad++ can modify the Windows Explorer shell which some Antivirus things will pick up on. But yeah, sourceforge.net is the best place to go for a clean copy.