PDA

View Full Version : Moving character to new PC

ZelieDad
March 19th, 2021, 12:53
I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on the subject, but I have a player who created a character on one pc but wants to play on another (laptop). He mentioned he was unable to import a character as well. This is the first time using fantasy grounds for our group, so we're still learning, but is it possible to move from computer to computer while using FGU?

Karnas
March 19th, 2021, 13:11
Yes, it's possible, in the character selection window there are some buttons in bottom right corner, one of those buttons is the export button, which will save the charsheet as an XML file - which you can send anywhere. Then you import this XML with the same buttons on other PC, and the character will be there.

ZelieDad
March 19th, 2021, 13:16
That's what I thought.

Could you send me a basic 5e character that I can test the import feature with? I only have one computer, so I can't test it.

Karnas
March 19th, 2021, 13:22
Try this one, it's my old Swordsinger for some oneshot I made. I had to do exactly that - export it and send to DM.

ZelieDad
March 19th, 2021, 13:29
sweet thanks!

LordEntrails
March 19th, 2021, 16:11
Note that the player does not need to move the character to their new PC/computer. The character is hosted/stored on the GM's computer. The next time the player logs into the campaign, from any computer, if they used the same username, FG will simple download the character, along with anything else shared with that player.

Neovirtus
March 19th, 2021, 17:05
Sometimes if it doesn't recognize the player account, they don't see the character as it is "owned" by the "player" that is associated with their old computer. In this case you can just right click on the character in the menu and "clear ownership" and they should be able to reclaim control of the character.

ZelieDad
March 19th, 2021, 17:20
Thanks for all of the help, we figured it out.

Manchine
April 13th, 2021, 21:11
How about the GM getting a new computer. How to transfer everything over including the adventure.

Imagix
April 13th, 2021, 22:23
The GM copies the entire campaign from the old machine to the new machine. Same with modules and extensions. Stuff bought from the Smiteworks store would just download with the rest of the updates.

Manchine
April 19th, 2021, 22:13
Very good... oh Canadian. Since I am the GM that doesn't help me. I have transferred all the files over but two campaigns don't show up. One Campaign works which is my test campaign. The two other ones do not work. I did nothing different when transferring them but still won't show up on my list of Select Campaigns.

Manchine
April 19th, 2021, 22:29
As the GM deleted Fantasy Flight and Reinstalled. Everything is on there now. Cool. Hit launch

"Cloud Server Already Exists For your fantasy Grounds Account. Unable to start Server!

Imagix
April 19th, 2021, 22:31
Hmm... these may seem like silly questions, but sometimes one has to check the basics.

What does your "campaigns" folder look like? You should be able to click the folder icon up in the top left (which will open your Fantasy Grounds data folder). I'd prefer if you used that icon instead of going to the folder yourself, just in case you think the folder is somewhere different than Fantasy Grounds. Inside that folder, there should be a "campaigns" folder. Inside the campaigns folder there should be a folder for each of your campaigns. Inside those, you should have a "campaign.xml", "db.xml", "CampaignRegistry.lua", and probably a bunch more files.

Basically checking to ensure that the directory structure wasn't accidentally changed (perhaps by copying the campaigns directly into the data directory, or perhaps copying the old campaigns folder into the new campaigns folder so you end up with "campaigns/campaigns/TestingCampaign")

Edit: or the more further basic thing: did you restart Fantasy Grounds after copying the campaigns? Which your next post says you now have and the problem is resolved.

Imagix
April 19th, 2021, 22:34
Is your "old" copy still running? Can't have both at the same time.

Manchine
April 19th, 2021, 23:54
As the GM deleted Fantasy Flight and Reinstalled. Everything is on there now. Cool. Hit launch

"Cloud Server Already Exists For your fantasy Grounds Account. Unable to start Server!

Figured it out needed to change the Save to local not cloud.