PDA

View Full Version : Coding +1 Ranged Spell Attack

Dax Doomslayer
March 18th, 2021, 14:01
Hi Folks,
Is there any way to code +1 to all ranged spell attacks? Would this be best done via the CT or an action on the Character Sheet? As best I can see, there is only: ATK: 1, ranged but this would be for all ranged attacks. It doesn't look like there is anything specific for ranged spells only. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Zacchaeus
March 18th, 2021, 14:16
Click the magnifying glass at the end of any spell header line and add a 1 to the attack modifier box. This will add a bonus to all spell attacks in all other spell power groups as well.

Dax Doomslayer
March 18th, 2021, 14:24
Ahhh - simple solution that I should have thought of!! Thanks Zacchaeus!!

boom shakalaka
August 18th, 2021, 05:05
Hmm, I seem to be having issues getting an item my DM just gave to me to work. I'm a level 7 character playing in 5e, with a WIS of 18, and I just got a special amulet that gives me a +2 to spell attacks and to my spell saving throw DCs. With this new item I should be getting a +9(4 from WIS + 3 from proficiency + 2 from new item) to my spell attacks both ranged and melee, and my saving throw DC should be 17(8 + 4 from WIS + 3 from proficiency + 2 from new item).

However, I cannot for the life of me get the bonus to apply to either unless I add it to each specific spell. I have tried adding an effect in the CT that says ATK: 2, spell, ranged or ATK: 2, spell, melee and no joy. I have also tried adding the +2 to the power group as explained above, and still no joy. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Or is it simply a matter of just modifying each spell individually? Any help is appreciated.

Zacchaeus
August 18th, 2021, 09:33
This is working for me. Are you using any extensions perhaps

boom shakalaka
August 19th, 2021, 01:19
hmm, thanks for taking a look. I'll ask my DM about the extensions angle.

MrDDT
August 19th, 2021, 02:13
This is working for me. Are you using any extensions perhaps

Unless I'm confused but this is not working in your picture. It shows that both melee and ranged spell attacks are getting the +2. Shouldn't it only apply to ranged spell attacks as the OP posted?

You've also increased the DC by 2. Which it should have been limited to only the ranged spell attacks.

@OP
I don't think there is a way to code this, you can use the "ATK: 1 ranged" effect, however, that will give them +1 to all ranged attacks. As you've said. What we do is simply turn off the effect (using skipped/off) for the very few weapon ranged attacks, that users of this type of item would use.

Zacchaeus
August 19th, 2021, 02:32
Unless I'm confused but this is not working in your picture. It shows that both melee and ranged spell attacks are getting the +2. Shouldn't it only apply to ranged spell attacks as the OP posted?

You've also increased the DC by 2. Which it should have been limited to only the ranged spell attacks.

@OP
I don't think there is a way to code this, you can use the "ATK: 1 ranged" effect, however, that will give them +1 to all ranged attacks. As you've said. What we do is simply turn off the effect (using skipped/off) for the very few weapon ranged attacks, that users of this type of item would use.
The OP from post #4 that I was answering wanted a bonus to spell attacks and spell save DC and mentioned that they couldn’t get either to work. At least that is my reading. So either I am reading the wrong thing or you are.