PDA

View Full Version : Messing with Star Wars Saga Edition...

mearrin69
July 4th, 2007, 20:37
Hi all,
Just picked up Saga Edition a few days ago and want to start up a solo campaign with a friend of mine. We figure FGII is the best way to go so I've been messing around with ruleset building. Not much done but I sort of created some buttons that I liked so I thought I'd show them around. Bear in mind that most of the interface is just placeholder images right now...including the character selection dialog. Just playing around.

While I play with graphic ideas I've been mucking about with XML/LUA to see if I can figure out the character sheet and how to modify it for SWSE.

Will post more as it progresses. As much as I'd like to I don't suppose I can ever share this, though, since I'm ripping WoTC/Lucas images liberally and I don't think any part of SWSE is Open Content.
M

Edit: BTW, take a look at how my laptop's cheapo graphics card is mangling the rendering of the dice. Posted about it in the support forum but thought I'd point it out here in case any developers read this thread. If this issue could ever be fixed I'd kneel in reverence.

Illrigger
July 5th, 2007, 07:29
Hi all,
Just picked up Saga Edition a few days ago and want to start up a solo campaign with a friend of mine. We figure FGII is the best way to go so I've been messing around with ruleset building. Not much done but I sort of created some buttons that I liked so I thought I'd show them around. Bear in mind that most of the interface is just placeholder images right now...including the character selection dialog. Just playing around.

While I play with graphic ideas I've been mucking about with XML/LUA to see if I can figure out the character sheet and how to modify it for SWSE.

Will post more as it progresses. As much as I'd like to I don't suppose I can ever share this, though, since I'm ripping WoTC/Lucas images liberally and I don't think any part of SWSE is Open Content.
M

Edit: BTW, take a look at how my laptop's cheapo graphics card is mangling the rendering of the dice. Posted about it in the support forum but thought I'd point it out here in case any developers read this thread. If this issue could ever be fixed I'd kneel in reverence.Please keep us up to date - I'm interested in seeing how you do things....

mearrin69
July 7th, 2007, 21:50
Little progress. I got the item and npc sheets into the right format. Background images still look funky - hadn't finished the charsheet frame and these use that image. Images for npc sheet attached. It basically follows the statblock from SWSE. I'm not 100% happy with these but it's a start. Still learning about anchoring and I'll tighten it up as I figure things out.

Someone was kind enough to share with me his WIP ruleset and I think he had made some progress on the character sheet so I think I'll tackle that next.

Eventually I plan to add lists for planets and ships/vehicles. BTW, is there a way to place an image on these windows (i.e. picture of Coruscant or MFalcon) or do I just have to place a link to an image in the imagelist? Haven't looked into it yet but if anyone knows the easy answer I thought I'd ask :)
M

Foen
July 11th, 2007, 22:19
To place an image on a windowclass, use the genericcontrol class. Take a look in the online documentation, or give me a shout if you need some help.

Cheers

Stuart
(Foen)

mearrin69
July 12th, 2007, 08:09
Thanks for the tip - will check it out.

FYI, this is progressing a bit though I don't have any more screenshots to show yet. Been working on the character sheet and have made a fair bit of progress. All of the scripting business was throwing me so I've stripped most of the automation out and am adding things back in as I come to understand them.
M

mearrin69
July 13th, 2007, 22:21
Been working on the character sheet. Thanks to joshuha for help getting heavy load to work. Skills still not fully up to SWSE speed but they work for now.
M

mearrin69
July 16th, 2007, 22:56
Hi all,
Few more screen grabs. Final buttons (the big ones, small ones need work) for the tools sidebar, WIP shot of combat tracker, and some tokens.
M

Foen
July 16th, 2007, 23:09
Love your token box Mearrin!

mearrin69
July 17th, 2007, 00:02
Thanks! The token box itself is mostly a placeholder but the tokens are part of my growing collection. Hope to have a better box someday but I actually don't have a lot of ideas for SW-appropriate imagery for it.
M

DarkChewie
July 26th, 2007, 22:07
the blank slot to mark in Skill page is only for trainned or for skill focus too?

mearrin69
July 27th, 2007, 19:45
the blank slot to mark in Skill page is only for trainned or for skill focus too?

That page isn't quite done. I was still puzzling out the Smiteworks code to make sure I understood it. I plan to have checkboxes for class skills, trained, and skill focus (or maybe just use misc for skill focus).

Been taking a break on ruleset writing to work up the modules. I have all of the basic rules, equipment, and creature (just one while I work everything out) put together. Not very visual so I haven't been posting screenies :) Now, it seems, I've got to go back and finish up the character sheet, npc sheet, and combat tracker so that everything links up. I'm amazed how far I've gotten though - it isn't all that tough to do.

So, question regarding legality. Obviously I can't distribute the modules because they contain word-for-word materials in the SWSE core rule book. What about the ruleset itself, though, if it contained no copyrighted/trademarked graphics and no automation for character generation, leveling, etc? SWSE isn't covered by OGL but would distributing freely this 'framework' for playing an SWSE game be verbotten? I hate to do all of this work and have keep it to myself.
M

Illrigger
July 27th, 2007, 23:43
It's a toss-up; what you'd end up with is more or less a character sheet, and there are SW Revised character sheets all over the web, some very prominently posted (Mad Irishman and Ema). WotC and Lucas have never taken any action against these people, as far as I know. They have even made direct comments about them on their forums from time to time. As long as you only give the mechanics, but not how to play the game, you should be safe. At worst, you'll get a Cease and Desist notice, and have to take the material down. I KNOW that there would be a great number of people interested in your ruleset, and its very existence would sell more copies of both the SW:SE book and FG itself. WotC isn't dumb - they want to sell books, and any support materiels are a means to that end, which is why these things slip through the cracks.

mearrin69
July 28th, 2007, 00:43
Thanks. Yeah, I know it's all pretty grey at the margins - but I understand why they have to protect their interests.

I'm not sure about WotC, but SJG is very understanding about fan-produced products for its game systems. They're a little slow about getting things approved (so I understand) but, if I created a ruleset for GURPS, I think they would allow it to be distributed and possibly even put it on their E23 distribution site (I know they have done it with other tools anyway). This seems (without doing any investigation) less likely with WotC (especially with a product licensed from a third-party).

Maybe I'll PM one of their Wiz-Os to ask about possibility and procedure - some of the authors/editors frequent the SWRPG boards on the Wizards Community. Edit: though I'll probably wait until it's closer to finished and I'll have to remove any 'borrowed' images.

Gee that's a lot of parenthetical matter for one paragraph :)
M

Illrigger
July 28th, 2007, 08:09
I'd shoot Ema or Mad Irishman an email as well, and see what interaction they have had with WotC.

DarkChewie
August 24th, 2007, 20:16
no more news?

mearrin69
August 28th, 2007, 16:52
Ah, yeah, not much progress lately. Had to take a break from it due to a vacation and a couple of intense weeks of work. I'm hoping to crack the books again this weekend to see if I can finish up the character sheet. Will post something when I've got it - hopefully soon! :)
M

GoOrange
August 30th, 2007, 14:15
Hey, looks great! I started a similar project myself a few days ago. I did quite a bit of work on the character sheet and am just now getting around to making nice looking frames. I like what you've done (and might borrow some of your ideas!).

Cheers,
Jeff

cbradshaw007
September 11th, 2007, 18:08
Ran into the FG booth at Gencon and saw part 2 being displayed. I want to setup a SWSE game in the next few months and decided to see what was cooking with the locals. I love the screen shots. Great work. Is their any help that I can offer? Anyway to get a copy of what you have put together? With the Dawn od Defiance Campaign on the way I want to have the ability to run it online or even F2F but with the projector and this program.

Again, Great work!

mearrin69
September 15th, 2007, 05:01
@cbradshaw007:
Hey. Check your PMs; I sent you a reply.
M

thrylax
September 24th, 2007, 00:21
Any chance of getting a copy of your Star Wars ruleset? I'd love to be able to play Star Wars over FGII but the current system don't support it. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

mearrin69
September 24th, 2007, 20:44
Still not done and I haven't had much time to work on it. I have, however, recently handed off the files to someone else to crack on for a while. I hope to maybe work on refining the interface art while they work on the code.
M

rmullen
October 24th, 2007, 12:33
Hey, if you need any help, let me know. The sooner this gets done the better! (By the way, i'm an artist, so please don't ask me to do any coding!)

arcath
October 24th, 2007, 20:19
Indeed, I was thinking about going to pick up the new books and was wondering if there was a char sheet / basic ruleset available.

awesome.

cbradshaw007
October 24th, 2007, 22:01
Actually there is one that is complete. GoOrange finished his up recently. I was the guy that was sent the files to help with, and I stopped once GoOrange came out with his.

Chris

rmullen
October 26th, 2007, 14:50
Link to download it?

Valarian
October 26th, 2007, 15:54
Try this thread
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7368&highlight=star+wars

rmullen
October 28th, 2007, 13:34
I got GoOrange's ruleset, and its great! But i really liked some of the artwork you'd done for your version. Any chance you'll come out with a 'skin' for GoOrange's ruleset?

nakirush
March 16th, 2008, 01:44
I too would like to see a skin for GoOrange's ruleset.

mearrin69
March 16th, 2008, 03:15
Sorry folks. Haven't been on much lately. I ran into some snags on my ruleset, codewise, and never put the time in to figure them out. So, I too will probably try to get hold of GoOrange's rules. If I do a reskin of it I will try to PM anyone that has expressed interest. Not sure about my time but I do want to get a working SW ruleset in place so I can run DoD sometime later this year.
M