PDA

View Full Version : Map in Motion for Boss Fight

DarthAztek
March 16th, 2021, 20:10
I have a campaign currently in beta test and I think they're a few sessions from getting to the final boss fight. What I had envisioned to make the environment even more daunting (as a lair action) was a cylindrical chamber with a 3-ringed floor that would suddenly rotate in opposite directions. The bonus part is that when the ring align correctly, they show a beholder in the mosaic tiles.

I have the map already in separate pieces for each ring, but I'm a little unsure of how to manage the battlefield with the player and enemy tokens when the floor shifts without taking too much time trying to move the map, then the tokens (and heaven forbid any AoE spells). Has anyone attempted such a dynamic map room before that can offer some efficiency tips?

BaneTBC
March 16th, 2021, 20:25
Maybe set up each of the different alignments as an image layer laid over that room\section. As it turns, you just toggle on the visibility of the one you want to use now. Turns again, you toggle on the next layer up. All the way to the finished mosaic beholder. I would think that would be much quicker and easier then actually trying to rotate the map tiles\sections itself.

LordEntrails
March 16th, 2021, 20:50
Rotating the map images is easy, but it won't move the tokens. I don't think you can select a layer and tokens and rotate at the same time. Not sure if there is a way to do this w/o having to move the tokens manually.

DarthAztek
March 22nd, 2021, 23:21
Maybe set up each of the different alignments as an image layer laid over that room\section. As it turns, you just toggle on the visibility of the one you want to use now. Turns again, you toggle on the next layer up. All the way to the finished mosaic beholder. I would think that would be much quicker and easier then actually trying to rotate the map tiles\sections itself.

That's a helpful idea, thanks! The real trick is going to be moving tokens in sync...