PDA

View Full Version : Generic dungeon room map pack?

SirJoe
July 4th, 2007, 03:28
Hi folks,

I was wondering if people here would be interested in a set of 'generic' dungeon room map packs. That is, each room (or closely related rooms) would be a separate map file. This way, a GM could quickly sketch out a dungeon quickly and then just load up rooms that meet his or her needs for encounters. All would be top view hi-res PNGs / JPGs.

As I am currently mapping out a dungeon crawl myself, I'd be happy to break it up into generic rooms and post up here - provided there is enough interest.

If you do have an interest, please let me know what sort of rooms you'd like to see: eg.

- 100'x 10' hall - stone, old and musty
- 100'x 10' hall - tiled and well kept
- large alter room.
- cells and jail-keeper's room
- small cave(s)
- large cave
- 30' square room with 2, 3 or 4 exits.
- arena
- wizards den
- maze
- bedroom
- kitchen
- bathroom / toilets
- broken tunnel
etc.

Best regards,
JS :bandit:

Oberoten
July 4th, 2007, 08:55
This sounds like a pretty good idea, much like the old cardboard maps one could buy for tabletops back in my youth.

SirJoe
July 4th, 2007, 09:53
Ok. Here is the first quickie room - an evil alter room.

I have intentionally left the room devoid of most furniture as this could be dropped in as tokens by the GM, giving greater flexibility... or they could just draw it in. Is the resolution about right for most of you guys?

I was thinking of placing the room on a parchment-like background instead of the white? What would be preferred?

Cheers!
JS

Oberoten
July 4th, 2007, 10:01

I have intentionally left the room devoid of most furniture as this could be dropped in as tokens by the GM, giving greater flexibility... or they could just draw it in. Is the resolution about right for most of you guys?

I was thinking of placing the room on a parchment-like background instead of the white? What would be preferred?

Cheers!
JS

Well either that or a non-opaque background maybe? Using the parchment colored background allready in FG.

Oberoten
July 4th, 2007, 10:04
VERY nice looking map. Clear and clean. :) Just the way I like it.

Blue Haven
July 4th, 2007, 11:09

Cheers!
JS

Did you use Dundjinni to do this map??

Toadwart
July 4th, 2007, 21:38
V. Nice. Could definately find a use for maps like this.

As for the parchment background I prefer the white(or black).
Smack me down if I'm wrong about this but I think the single color helps with compression (i.e. a parchment background would result in a larger file size)
It's also easier for us to replace it with something else if it's a single color.

heruca
July 5th, 2007, 00:34
Looks very good, SirJoe. Although PNG format with a transparent background would be more useful, since then we could mash the rooms and hallways together however we like.

Hard to answer your question about resolution without info about the map's dimensions. How many feet high and wide is that sample room supposed to be?

SirJoe
July 5th, 2007, 03:58
Did you use Dundjinni to do this map??

I used Campaign Cartographer 3 with Dungeon Designer 3 for this map. For info, go to www.profantasy.com.

Cheers!
JS

SirJoe
July 5th, 2007, 04:00
V. Nice. Could definately find a use for maps like this.

As for the parchment background I prefer the white(or black).
Smack me down if I'm wrong about this but I think the single color helps with compression (i.e. a parchment background would result in a larger file size)
It's also easier for us to replace it with something else if it's a single color.

I just did a test... the compression is better with flat. Not by a lot mind you - about 50k in this file's case.

scytale2
July 5th, 2007, 15:43
There's some real talent on these forums...

Dragonstar
July 5th, 2007, 20:35
Very nice indeed. And all of those things that you listed would be good!

Toadwart
July 6th, 2007, 03:38
I just did a test... the compression is better with flat. Not by a lot mind you - about 50k in this file's case.

Yeah, think different file types use differnt compression methods too. Probably makes more difference to BMPs which I wouldn't use for FG anyway (jpg or png are better for fg)

SirJoe
July 6th, 2007, 13:49
I'm making progress withthe map pack and pending a technical issue with FG2's image list memory of map scales, I should be ready to upload a dozen maps shortly.

However, I do have a question regarding tokens. I have been outputting my maps with with roughtly a 32 x 32 pixle square representing a 5f x 5f square on the map. This means that the ideal scale for most humanoid tokens would be 32x32 pixles as well.

If you are using simple 'flat-style' tokens then this looks fine (a tad small, but thats the price we pay for screen space.)

However, if you are using 'top down' token packs (from the likes of Digital Adventures?), then perhaps this would be too small. Can someone let me know what the typical pixle size for these commercial token packs is? If I know that, then I can produce the maps in a scale that matches, so that no manual scaling needs to be done when adding tokens to maps.

Best regards,
JS

mr_h
July 6th, 2007, 14:00
I'll have to load up dundjinni again and see if I can't make some of those lil maps. (Been so busy on making a ruleset I haven't had time to do that, grumble).

mossfoot
July 6th, 2007, 15:26
Just a thought, do you think you should make it so the images flush right up to the edge of the page where the doors are and halls end, so that if characters are in two sections at once the player scan put the maps side by side and "connect" them?

joeru
July 6th, 2007, 22:06
I'm making progress withthe map pack and pending a technical issue with FG2's image list memory of map scales, I should be ready to upload a dozen maps shortly.

However, I do have a question regarding tokens. I have been outputting my maps with with roughtly a 32 x 32 pixle square representing a 5f x 5f square on the map. This means that the ideal scale for most humanoid tokens would be 32x32 pixles as well.

If you are using simple 'flat-style' tokens then this looks fine (a tad small, but thats the price we pay for screen space.)

However, if you are using 'top down' token packs (from the likes of Digital Adventures?), then perhaps this would be too small. Can someone let me know what the typical pixle size for these commercial token packs is? If I know that, then I can produce the maps in a scale that matches, so that no manual scaling needs to be done when adding tokens to maps.

Best regards,
JS

I think the "default" scale is 50 pixels for a 5-ft square.

Griogre
July 6th, 2007, 22:07

Best regards,
JS
Personally I use 32 x 32 for medium size. Many, particulary those with top down characters use 50 x 50. This is probably more common. The built in tokens are 32 by 32.

Toadwart
July 7th, 2007, 03:53
I found 50x50 to work well back in FG1 (with top-down tokens from the Four Ugly Monsters).
Haven't DM'd with FG2 yet but I imagine it's less of an issue now that tokens can be scaled individually.

SirJoe
July 7th, 2007, 04:53
Thanks for re token scale info. I will prepare the maps in two ratio forms:
32 pixles per 5f and
50 pixles per 5f.

The 50 pixles will result in a few large maps, so I may also break some up into smaller segments as well.

Expect the first batch of maps shortly.

Best regards,
JS

Callum
July 9th, 2007, 14:26
32 pixels to 5' makes sense, as this is the scale of the default tokens created from the PC icons. You can always resize larger creature tokens in the combat tracker.

Having a transparent background also seems the best bet in terms of versatility.

Keep up the good work!

VenomousFiligree
July 9th, 2007, 19:13
Nice map SirJoe. I would be interested in hosting these at RPG Virtual Tabletop (https://www.rpgvirtualtabletop.com), if you've no objections.

:)
MB