PDA

View Full Version : GURPS Automation

X the Unknown
March 15th, 2021, 17:29
Hello All,

There are three possibilities that I can see:

I write code to fully automate all aspects of GURPS into Fantasy Grounds, put it into a module, and share it with the world. This increases the GURPS player base tenfold, makes it the number one game on Fantasy Grounds, and earns me the Nobel Gaming Prize presented by Ronnke.
I write the code, share it only with players who play my games through Fantasy Grounds module sharing, and I get a sigh of relief and a pat on the back from my players.
I write the code that I need as the GM, share it with nobody, and feel good that I've made my life easier.

As I understand it, number one is right out. If I had to bet, I'd have to go with number two not being allowed either, but I'm not certain. I can't see any problem with number three, but I'm asking just to be sure.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 15th, 2021, 23:20
Anyway automation plus GURPS that interests me a lot!

ronnke
March 16th, 2021, 00:03
Hello All,

There are three possibilities that I can see:

I write code to fully automate all aspects of GURPS into Fantasy Grounds, put it into a module, and share it with the world. This increases the GURPS player base tenfold, makes it the number one game on Fantasy Grounds, and earns me the Nobel Gaming Prize presented by Ronnke.
I write the code, share it only with players who play my games through Fantasy Grounds module sharing, and I get a sigh of relief and a pat on the back from my players.
I write the code that I need as the GM, share it with nobody, and feel good that I've made my life easier.

As I understand it, number one is right out. If I had to bet, I'd have to go with number two not being allowed either, but I'm not certain. I can't see any problem with number three, but I'm asking just to be sure.

What sort of things would you like to automate? That's probably the best place to start. SJG has some rules regarding automation, but I could take those things to SJG for approval.

X the Unknown
March 16th, 2021, 18:54
What sort of things would you like to automate? That's probably the best place to start. SJG has some rules regarding automation, but I could take those things to SJG for approval.

Wow! I was just taking my first step into this and didn't think I'd get this far so fast. I don't really have a lot of specifics yet. I can come up with two that I can think of right now.

First, I've read through the forum, thought about it, and agree that implementing DR automation in GURPS across the board is too difficult to be practical. What would be nice when applying damage to NPCs with all-around DR is if instead of:

Adding a modifier for DR to the Modifier Stack, having the PC roll the damage and then dragging the damage result from the Chat window and dropping it into the Injury box in the Combat Tracker
You could drag the straight damage roll from the Chat window onto DR so that it would subtract the DR amount from the damage and then add the remaining to the Injury box.

This would still allow to apply modifiers for DR for special circumstances like the initial option.

Second, it would be nice if you could drag the range penalty (either from the map directly or from a new field in the Combat Tracker targeting info) onto the Modifier Stack.

What do you think? Possible? I'll start thinking of more.

Mansquatch62
March 16th, 2021, 19:35
I'm running a GURPS in space game. Something I've found that would be nice is if there was an addition to the radial chat box menu that performed multiplicative functions to adjust damage rolls for wound modifiers. I have the players add the DR of the target as a negative modifier to their damage roll. Then I could just right click, hit the correct multiplier, then drag the result to my combat tracker. It's a small thing, but would be nice.

ronnke
March 17th, 2021, 00:11
SJG has given me permission to develop a few automation features, key amongst those is the automatic application of damage. This is something I've been working on for a little while and the first iteration of that feature should be available soon. @Mansquatch62, this will address wound modifiers. The other automation feature I'm working on will allow Effects to automatically apply Modifiers to an N/PC. For example, if the Stunned effect is dropped on an N/PC, then a -4 will automatically apply to Dodge rolls.

If there some other automation features people are keen to develop, then I'm happy to push them up to SJG for approval. They have been very accommodating and in recents discussions with them, they are grateful to the community and what we've done for GURPS on Fantasy Grounds.

X the Unknown
March 17th, 2021, 02:12
SJG has given me permission to develop a few automation features, key amongst those is the automatic application of damage. This is something I've been working on for a little while and the first iteration of that feature should be available soon. @Mansquatch62, this will address wound modifiers. The other automation feature I'm working on will allow Effects to automatically apply Modifiers to an N/PC. For example, if the Stunned effect is dropped on an N/PC, then a -4 will automatically apply to Dodge rolls.

If there some other automation features people are keen to develop, then I'm happy to push them up to SJG for approval. They have been very accommodating and in recents discussions with them, they are grateful to the community and what we've done for GURPS on Fantasy Grounds.

Thank you SJG for allowing this and Ronnke for doing this work. I (and I'm sure everyone else) really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to the Effects automation and to see what else you've got. I'll start thinking of other automation and add it to this thread when I do.

seycyrus
March 17th, 2021, 02:47
It would be nice if hit locations could be taken into account when damage is applied and a "crippled" status applied.

seycyrus
March 17th, 2021, 03:01
I'm not sure if this counts as automation, but it is something that used to exist that is lacking now.

We need a hotkey or something to be able to apply an effect to the target of the current actor in the combat tracker. You used to be able to just hit "Alt + EffectName" and it would be applied to the target. This would help me (and others hopefully) out immensely.

X the Unknown
March 17th, 2021, 03:03
I'm not sure if this counts as automation, but it is something that used to exist that is lacking now.

We need a hotkey or something to be able to apply an effect to the target of the current actor in the combat tracker. You used to be able to just hit "Alt + EffectName" and it would be applied to the target. This would help me (and others hopefully) out immensely.

That would be nice.

ronnke
March 17th, 2021, 04:47

This sort of thing is generally not handled by the ruleset, it a feature of Core. I think you've brought this up before. I will investigate.

It would be nice if hit locations could be taken into account when damage is applied and a "crippled" status applied.

This is on the todo.

X the Unknown
March 18th, 2021, 17:54
Ok, I thought of another one.

I'm not sure if this is possible or even worthwhile, but here goes.

Currently when an N/PC is using a ranged weapon and taking the Aim maneuver, I choose a target, drop an Effect on them called Aiming that's set up as an SEC+ and let it keep track of how long they're aiming for. When they decide to fire, I double click on the Acc for the weapon so it adds this to the Modifier Stack. I add the Modifier of Aim 2 or Aim 3 (that I created), depending if they aimed for just one additional round or two, add the range modifier, and then have the attack roll made.

It would be nice if this could be automated. A target is chosen. The Aiming Effect is applied. When it's time to attack, the Range is pulled from the Target info on the Combat Tracker. The Aiming bonus is determined from the time aimed and the Acc bonus.

Definitely not easy, but considering the amount of information that has to be gathered from multiple sources, it'll definitely benefit from automation.

If it can be done.

ronnke
March 18th, 2021, 23:35
Ok, I thought of another one.
It would be nice if this could be automated. A target is chosen. The Aiming Effect is applied. When it's time to attack, the Range is pulled from the Target info on the Combat Tracker. The Aiming bonus is determined from the time aimed and the Acc bonus.

This would be possible (if a little tricky) and something SJG would have no problem with. If this is something you want to tackle, I can include it into the ruleset.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
March 19th, 2021, 02:10
I don't know if it would be possible to do the following:
Let's say I have a Longbow and a Hip Quiver with 20 arrows, each time I shot it decreases the number of arrows in the counter, but it would be possible to make it decrease the number of arrows in the inventory and more, I saw the improvements and loved it , but the question is:
Is there a possibility to place the NH and trim based on the skill level?
Example: I have DX 13, but my Short Sword skill is 14 so when I bought a Short Sword he would add Level 14 to perform attacks and would already determine my Parry to be 10.

X the Unknown
March 19th, 2021, 02:41
This would be possible (if a little tricky) and something SJG would have no problem with. If this is something you want to tackle, I can include it into the ruleset.

Sly hand off! Nicely done. :D

I haven't taken a look at the code yet. I was serious when I said:

I was just taking my first step into this...

Let me take a look at the code, see if I can come up with a solution, and I'll get back to you. Like you, regular work does get in the way.

seycyrus
April 9th, 2021, 14:46
... <question regarding applying effects to target of current actor> ...This sort of thing is generally not handled by the ruleset, it a feature of Core. I think you've brought this up before. I will investigate.

Ronnke, were you able to look into this? Who/where should I be posting this line of questioning? In the general "core" forum?