PDA

View Full Version : Snap to Grid on Player Requested Moves?

MaxAstro
March 15th, 2021, 02:23
When playing with the setting that players have to request moves and I have to confirm them, player movement seems to not snap to grid, which is very messy. If I move player tokens manually they snap fine. Is there a setting somewhere to snap these moves to the grid?

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2021, 10:17
If you have snap to grid switched on then tokens will snap to the grid. Note this doesn't mean that they'll end in the middle of a grid square - that depends on where the player moves their token to. If they don't end in the middle of a grid square the token will snap to a point on the side.

Griogre
March 15th, 2021, 10:20
You might suggest they use the arrow keys or numeric keypad to move their tokens.

MaxAstro
March 15th, 2021, 20:12
I definitely have snap to grid turned on - when I click and drag tokens, they snap to either the center or edge of a grid.

However, when the players attempt to move their tokens, they do not snap to grid, and the resulting "move request" targets a non-snapped location, resulting in tokens that are a few pixels "off grid" each move, and often also resulting in movement distances being calculated incorrectly.

Is there a setting my players need to set to make their tokens snap correctly during move requests?

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2021, 20:18
No, there's no settings. Your players just need to make sure that they finish their move in the centre of the grid square. As suggested above they might want to try using the keyboard if they have difficulty dropping on the centre of a grid square using drag.

MaxAstro
March 15th, 2021, 21:10
I'll do that. Kind of annoying that the "request move" setting disables grid snapping like that. Any chance that will change at some point?

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2021, 21:15
It doesn't disable grid snapping that I am aware of. But if you don't drop the token in the middle of a square or near the middle it will snap to one of the other points on the grid square. There are snap points in the middle of each line in the square as well as a point in the middle and at each corner (I think).

Griogre
March 15th, 2021, 21:58
Snapping a token to a square isn't as simple as it might seem because the snap has to deal with creatures that are not just medium size ones that fill one exactly 1 space. Specifically any creature that takes up an even number of squares on a side requires snapping to vertex and/or line midpoints, if you want to let it move less than it's size.

Trenloe
March 15th, 2021, 22:09
It doesn't disable grid snapping that I am aware of. But if you don't drop the token in the middle of a square or near the middle it will snap to one of the other points on the grid square. There are snap points in the middle of each line in the square as well as a point in the middle and at each corner (I think).
Correct. For each square there are 9 snap points: top left, top middle, top right, middle left, middle, middle right, bottom left, bottom middle and bottom right. The 8 snap points other than middle are on the sides of the square - which mean they share their snap points with the adjacent square. These are all needed to cater for various sized creatures, and also other RPG systems that may be 2x1 and require the middle of a side to snap the middle of the token to.

MaxAstro
March 15th, 2021, 22:14
I feel I am not communicating well here - I am well aware of the "half-grid" snap points, but my players' tokens are not snapping to those. They are ending up maybe 5-10 pixels randomly offset from the grid, as though they are not snapping at all. When I get home this evening I will see if I can rope a couple of my players into assisting me getting some images of the problem.

Again, though, it's not the half-grid snap points. When I manually move tokens, they snap to those points. When my players request a move, there seems to be no snapping at all.

Trenloe
March 15th, 2021, 23:00
We're going to need some screenshots showing the issue please.

Laerun
March 15th, 2021, 23:02
I would check to see if the tokens themselves were created square, as in, made to fit in a centered position. Players can drop their tokens pretty much where they want, there is nothing that will force them, or move them to drag tokens into an actual square. As long as there are half squares, they can drag nearly anywhere. I often find I have to fix or mention player movement because they do not pay attention, or understand that the square grida are important for range, targeting, and spacing. Do you have a true FG grid, or is it just a painted grid on your maps?
The more annoying part to me is not FG, but how the players have to interface with the platform, they may need a bit more coaching and practice, and they might need to know or consider token movement is not 100% bulletproof or even 100% accurate even.
Honestly, If I was frustrated every time someone bumped into my real-life miniatures setup, or did not fully place their chess or checkers piece in the middle of a square, I'd probably never play again...

MaxAstro
March 16th, 2021, 02:53
Okay, so, here we have some PCs.

The two on the left are snapped to grid because I manually moved them. The two on the right are unsnapped, as a result of a player movement.

Here is a move request from my PC. Note that the target is not aligned with a grid or half-grid, and that it says 20' when it should only be 10'.

Here is the PC after confirming the move request, badly misaligned from the grid. However, if I "pick up" the token and then let go of it...

...It snaps cleanly back to the grid.

Also note that I can cause this same behavior by holding ALT while dragging a player's token, like so:

Hopefully that covers everything. Here is my version information; this occurs without any extensions except the dark theme. This was tested on the Gauntlight Ruins map of book 1 of Abomination Vaults.

Pathfinder RPG Second Edition ruleset v2021-03-02 (PF2 release 18t3) for Fantasy Grounds
Copyright 2021 Smiteworks USA, LLC
Core RPG ruleset (v2021-03-11) for Fantasy Grounds
Copyright 2021 Smiteworks USA, LLC
SmiteWorks Unity Theme for Fantasy Grounds\rCopyright 2019 Smiteworks USA, LLC.

Moon Wizard
March 16th, 2021, 06:07
Did you try toggling the grid snap while the players were connected?
Does it happen on other maps or just that one?

Just curious, since I'm not seeing locally right now; though I am on beta version here right now. Trying to see if it's something fixed; or figure out how to recreate.

Thanks,
JPG

Ecks
March 16th, 2021, 16:02
I have the same behavior and can recreate in a new 5e campaign with no extensions.

1. Create PC and assign token
2. Load Tomb of Annihilation module
3. Open image "Player Map - Camp Righteous"
4. Add PC token to map - note that the token snaps to grid from GM client.
5. Open another instance of FGU and connect as client
6. From GM client, share the map
7. From player client, move token. Moving the token does not snap to the grid (not to centers or half grid points, etc).

8. From GM client, unlock token movement
9. From player client, token now snaps to grid

10. From GM client, lock token movement
11. From player client, token no longer snaps to grid for requested moves.

12. From GM client, unlock image settings and toggle "Snap to grid" (clicked once so the indicator was set)*
13. From player client, token now snaps to grid for requested moves.

14. From GM client, revert changes to the image record, re-share, and re-add token to map
15. From player client, token no longer snaps to grid for requested moves.

*Note that the indicator for "Snap to grid" in the image settings sidebar shows disabled when the map is first opened, but the GM client snaps to grid (and player client snaps to grid if token locking is disabled): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66937-Toggle-Grid-Snap-indicator-does-not-match-initial-grid-snap-state

As a workaround, toggling the "Snap to Grid" setting for the image on/off/on seems to get the player client requested moves to snap to grid.

FGU v4.0.10 (2021-02-04)
5e ruleset v2021-03-09
Windows 10

MaxAstro
March 16th, 2021, 16:05
I'll try toggling the grid snap settings on the map and see if it that helps. I can confirm that the same issue happens on the other Abomination Vaults 1 maps that I have tested, but I haven't tested any maps outside that module.

Zacchaeus
March 16th, 2021, 16:42
I'm not seeing this. I wonder if it has something to do with the tokens being used? What size are the tokens and where did they come from? Also what setting do you have for Auto-scale to grid?

Trenloe
March 16th, 2021, 16:53
I can recreate. The issue appears to be that "Toggle Grid Snap" when an image is opened for the first time is not fully "on" (the player movement/GM ALT movement hasn't read it correctly), but the indicator shows it as on. Click the indicator once - it won't change colour because it's actually setting the "Toggle Grid Snap" to on and the indicator how shows correctly.

Hopefully the devs will pick up on this and look into a fix. Thanks for reporting and providing the screenshots.

MaxAstro
March 16th, 2021, 18:41
Thanks, Trenloe. Glad I'm not going crazy here.

Trenloe
March 16th, 2021, 18:42
Glad I'm not going crazy here.
Maybe we both are?!? ;)