PDA

View Full Version : Lighting, dark vision, and FGU

Morfedel
March 14th, 2021, 05:19
So I recall that dynamic lighting and things like dark vision would not be in the original feature set, but I just saw a video about adding lighting to dungeons and, if I understood, torches to characters. I need to go back and watch it again, but I wondered, is this now going to limit the vision of people? I'm assuming not, but as I said, I wasn't sure, and was a little distracted while watching the video - I don't want to go back and watch the entire thing again just yet, so thought I'd ask here quick?

Sorry for the impatience ;) but appreciate your time.

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2021, 05:22
Please check the Laboratory forum. These things are now in public beta testing. Details there.
EDIT: but yes, you will be able (optionally) to add light sources such as torches and give characters vision like darkvision, etc.

Morfedel
March 14th, 2021, 05:25
Please check the Laboratory forum. These things are now in public beta testing. Details there.
EDIT: but yes, you will be able to add light sources such as torches and give characters vision like darkvision, etc.

Ok, I'll check it out - but does that mean that the darkvision and lighting will actually limit max sight distance then? If so, that's fantastic!!!

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2021, 05:28
It depends. You can add ambient light to a map so everyone can see to infinity. Or you can have no ambient light and then tokens only see that which they have vision for (darkvision, etc) or is lit by a light source such as a torch.

Morfedel
March 14th, 2021, 05:31
It depends. You can add ambient light to a map so everyone can see to infinity. Or you can have no ambient light and then tokens only see that which they have vision for (darkvision, etc) or is lit by a light source such as a torch.

Again, that is awesome. Thanks so much for the info. I have a game tomorrow and wasn't going to have a lot of time digging through videos, forums, etc, so I appreciate your patience, but I'll spend the next week digging through all of that.

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2021, 05:38
Unless you are willing to have issues during play, it's not suggested that you use the beta version for actual play.

Zacchaeus
March 14th, 2021, 10:04

Ambient lighting doesn't on it's own mean that tokens see to infinity. Ambient lighting places lighting on a whole map. Ambient light can also be masked in certain areas of a map so that the light doesn't shine on those areas. Completely independently of whether there is ambient light on a map or not token vision can be restricted to whatever limits you want.

Poe the Homunculus
March 14th, 2021, 22:18
Where can we access this feature? I see it on the videos, but do not see it in my full licensed copy

Griogre
March 14th, 2021, 22:36
It's still in the Beta test channel. It'll go to live in the next patch cycle or two when they are sure there aren't any show stopping bugs or problems.

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2021, 23:05
Where can we access this feature? I see it on the videos, but do not see it in my full licensed copy
See this thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66972-FG-Unity-Beta-Release-v4-1
Make sure you read and understand all the warnings and implications. Using beta software increases your risk of having problems and even the potential for data loss. Plus everything you do in beta will not be useable in live until the features are moved to live, and if for some reason they change the architecture of these beta features, might never be useable the work you do.