PDA

View Full Version : Spells are not populating after I create new spellcasting NPCs

Fire Giant
March 13th, 2021, 21:30
Title says it all, frustrating. I am following the syntax perfectly in the traits area of the npc sheet. I have tried multiple times yet I cannot get the spells to auto populate in the npc sheet OR to appear in the combat tracker for the NPC. HELP?? Is there something I am doing or not doing??!! Thank you!!

Griogre
March 13th, 2021, 21:36
You should post a screen shot of your Spellcasting trait, but it is likely you made a mistake in the syntax. The syntax is pretty rigid, ie

The acolyte is a 1st-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom. The acolyte has following cleric spells prepared:
Cantrips (at will): light, sacred flame, thaumaturgy
1st level (3 slots): bless, cure wounds, sanctuary

The spellcasting ability, and spell list has to be exactly done correctly.

Edit I am assuming 5E the most used ruleset, you didn't say what ruleset, but its the same for all of them that support parsing of spellcasters.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2021, 21:47
See the last video in this list https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42440-Tutorial-Video-Series

If you are editing an existing spellcaster then you need too delete the old spells before the new ones will repopulate. Otherwise as @Griorge says you need precision in the wording of the ability.

Fire Giant
March 14th, 2021, 00:18
See the last video in this list https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42440-Tutorial-Video-Series

If you are editing an existing spellcaster then you need too delete the old spells before the new ones will repopulate. Otherwise as @Griorge says you need precision in the wording of the ability.

I have tried multiple times, my syntax is EXACTLY as you described, NOT working on any and every npc I make, tried copy and pasting, tried typing it out carefully, its totally de-railed my preparations for a campaign. Cannot move forward, pissed off at this point as it is not that hard, I am doing it correctly, and its DEF not working on several attempts, the wording/ syntax is exactly as it should be yet it just dont work, garbage. waste of time.

Fire Giant
March 14th, 2021, 00:27
Here is a kobold sorc I made.. not working.. can you tell me why??

Fire Giant
March 14th, 2021, 00:29
here

Zacchaeus
March 14th, 2021, 00:32
Looks like you have extra spaces before the spell lines.

Fire Giant
March 14th, 2021, 00:33
Copy and pasted from 5e srd, NOT WORKING, tried to make an NPC Wizard too, typed and re -typed the spellcasting trait, NOT WORKING. Completely shutting down my progress, garbage.

Fire Giant
March 14th, 2021, 00:49
ok, seem to have figured it out, thank you for all your help! Got it working now!