PDA

View Full Version : Automating Spell Penetration

scourge2805
March 13th, 2021, 18:01
I've been looking at the previews of release 18 of the ruleset and it looks amazing, including the ability to add specific effects directly to the character sheet including automation of items and such.

Currently in my PF2 game, a character has a Disrupting weapon which I've automated by applying an effect to the character on the combat tracker that does:

IFT: TYPE(undead); DMG: 1d6 positive

which works just fine.

The wizard player in the party wants to automate the Spell Penetration feat. Currently I just apply an effect at "run-time" to defeat/reduce the status bonus to saves versus magic by doing:

SAVE: -1 status

at the appropriate time to the appropriate targets.

I setup a test fight between the wizard PC and an Arbiter (Aeon) which has the +1 status bonus so saving throws versus magic (as it appears all Aeons have).

Instead of applying a negative to the saving throw of the target which I can't automate I tried to increase the DC of the spell by 1 instead. I tried all of the following, none of which worked:

IFT: TYPE(aeon); DC: 1
IFT: TYPE(aeon); PROF: 1
IFT: TYPE(aeon); INT: 2
IFT: CUSTOM(Magic Resistant); DC: 1
IFT: CUSTOM(Magic Resistant); PROF: 1
IFT: CUSTOM(Magic Resistant); INT: 2

Now bonuses to hit and/or damage like the following all did work just fine:

IFT: TYPE(aeon); ATK: 1
IFT: CUSTOM(Magic Resistant); DMG: 1d6

So I'm assuming that the saving throw handler isn't checking IF and IFT conditionals. Is that a bug or something that isn't implemented (yet)?

Does anyone know of any way to handle automation of the Spell Penetration feat by another means?

Trenloe
March 13th, 2021, 19:27
Only effects that are tagged as targetable in the Effects wiki can be used with the IF/IFT conditional effect logic. These are effects with a (T) in the notes column.

I don't think you're going to be able to reliably automate the Spell Penetration feat, as mechanically it's reducing a status bonus if a status bonus exists and there's no code to specifically reduce a status bonus if a bonus currently exists.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2021, 19:28
Currently in my PF2 game, a character has a Disrupting weapon which I've automated by applying an effect to the character on the combat tracker that does:

IFT: TYPE(undead); DMG: 1d6 positive

which works just fine.
In release 18 you can add that effect to the weapon details in the actions tab and so that effect would only be triggered with a damage roll from that weapon.

Or, if you create this as a weapon before applying it to the PC, add an automation entry of [EFFECT use IFT: TYPE(undead); DMG: 1d6 positive]. Then when this weapon is added to a PC that effect will be auto added to the weapon entry in the actions tab.

scourge2805
March 13th, 2021, 20:04
In release 18 you can add that effect to the weapon details in the actions tab and so that effect would only be triggered with a damage roll from that weapon...

I saw that in your preview video Tenloe thanks. I can't wait for that functionality in the release client.