PDA

View Full Version : Spells appearing in the wrong spell lists.

UngainlyTitan
March 12th, 2021, 19:49
I have a long running campaign and I now notice that spells are not filtering correctly. For example I am getting Mass Cure Wounds as a Wizard spell.
If I select the spell I see Wizard as one of the classes listed.

This is not the case on other campaigns where i have test stuff setup.

How do I fix this.

Regards,

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2021, 19:52
My guess would be an extension (or two) is causing the issue. Make sure you are using the most up to date versions of the extensions you are using - or disable them altogether. If you aren't seeing the issue in a new campaign without extensions then that's the most likely cause.

UngainlyTitan
March 12th, 2021, 20:10
I have switched off extensions but am still getting Mass Cure Wounds as a Wizard spell. The Culprit seems to be D&D PHB Class pack Bard which I use because when I started the campaign I was short on money and just bought the class packs needed rather then the PHB. However character that started with the Class Packs needs to access them or the links will not work.

UngainlyTitan
March 12th, 2021, 20:15
Actually might I add as a suggestion that when combining spells from multiple source books as the spells button does that it removes duplicate descriptions, where the same spell is listed in different sourcebooks and default to the latest published listing.

BaneTBC
March 12th, 2021, 20:24
If you've gotten the PHB since having bought the class pack originally, I might suggest taking the time to swap out the spells or even rebuild the character with pointers to your main games character data (this might be different when using information from Xanathar's, Tasha's, et al, so keep in mind that it doesn't necessarily cover everything here). Then you have one less thing that your player(s) and yourself need to load into a campaign (once the character is created and set, you really don't need the Class Pack again until they level if you have to draw from stuff there, so it could be unloaded until needed).

If the spell is coming up in your spell list (spell button you have on the right side of the program), you can filter that down by choosing from the top dropdown (Player's Handbook, Tasha's Guide to Everything, et al), but it would then be limiting anything displayed to only that resource (so if you choose PHB, no Tasha's stuff or vice versa).

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2021, 20:28
Since one of the Bard archetypes can learn spells from any class all of the spells are in the bard class pack - so that would be the cause of your issue. Not much I can do to rectify that really. Normally only the PHB needs to be open and so normally there would only be one list of spells. Since you have class packs for some characters then that is unfortunately going to cause duplicates to emerge. Again FG just lists all the spells it finds in all open modules - it isn't possible (well it would be but with a huge amount of coding and probably terrible lag) to show only one copy of each spell where there are duplicates.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2021, 08:22
However character that started with the Class Packs needs to access them or the links will not work.

If you've gotten the PHB since having bought the class pack originally, I might suggest taking the time to swap out the spells or even rebuild the character with pointers to your main games character data...
Most records that are added to a PC are copied to the character sheet, they aren't links to the original record, so there's no need to swap out most links once they're on a character sheet. Spells, feats/features, items, etc. are copied to the PC sheet and don't need to be swapped out.

The exception to this is Race, Background and Class - once added to the PC these records apply their data and the links remain to the original information.