PDA

View Full Version : FGU stretched on two monitors = DWM.exe GPU hog

jaking
March 12th, 2021, 17:33
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i7 10870H
16GB
Geforce RTX 3060

If FGU is stretched onto a second monitor, Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) GPU usage rises from ~20% to >60%. It drops back to normal if the FGU window is maximised on a single screen.

Moon Wizard
March 12th, 2021, 17:57
This is not something we have any control over. We use the Unity game engine to drive the graphics. We have heard that having separate graphics cards for monitors over which FGU is stretched will have an outsized impact. I haven't heard any specific issues if both screens are driven by same graphics card.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2021, 17:58
I'm not seeing this. Mine when from 16% with FGU only on one monitor to 4% when stretched across two. Might depend on what you have open in FGU at the time certainly.

EllivasKram
March 13th, 2021, 08:01
And that’s monitors refresh rate

jaking
March 14th, 2021, 12:24
I'll play around. I'm on a gaming laptop with an external monitor, so I can't think of it in terms of which graphics card is driving the monitors. FGU is set to use the Geforce. One thing that might be an issue is that the laptop has a 300Hz monitor.

EllivasKram
March 15th, 2021, 10:00
Try using \VSYNC 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or 4

My laptop with internal monitor @ 144mhz needs FGU to be told to slowdown refreshing

I do not see any gameplay degradation on \vsync 4

Although in FGU 4.1 I don’t see much GPU drop unless also have a small map window compared to ‘background’ mode.

I am using a 4K monitor. And I see a GPU saving off I tweak to 2K and \SCALEUI 70 or 80.

Maybe we just don’t need HI-Rez lighting and shadows. Or at least it would be nice to alter/option for granularity of processing LOS & Vision.

jaking
March 15th, 2021, 13:48
I changed the refresh rate of hte internal panel to 60Hz matching the external and there were no problems with DWM.