PDA

View Full Version : Players can draw on Locked images/maps, by expanding image

guyriessen
March 11th, 2021, 01:10
my mistake, it's apparently supposed to work that way and I just need to kick players

Moderator: User deleted his original post - which isn't helpful.

See post #7 below. In essence the lock drawing does not appear to be working and thus can be a frustration for DMs and players when someone in the group constantly scribbles on the map.

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2021, 01:20
Not at my computer to check but isn’t there an option in the right click menu to disable drawing?

LordEntrails
March 11th, 2021, 03:40
Hmm, given that the behavior is not consistent, it does indeed sound unintentional. Will have to have someone else comment though.

IMO, even though this is an issue that can be solved by FG, it really is a problem with the player (and I suspect if FG 'fixes' this, they will just come up with some other annoying behavior (like die rolling, chat spamming, etc). I hope you've feel empowered to talk to the player out of game, one on one. Let them know the behavior is not acceptable. Perhaps they can have a drawing program open and scribble on that when 'bored'. Or perhaps they can entertain themselves some other way. It may be an ADD/ADHD thing or just bad manners or simple inconsiderate behavior. But, you won't know that until you talk to them. In the end, their is the 'Kick' option on the character portrait, and putting a (new) password on the game itself. But I would really hope you could solve it out of game with a personal conversation.

guyriessen
March 11th, 2021, 03:57
Sorry for trying to help out.

guyriessen
March 11th, 2021, 04:04
There is that option, but it has the same issue. Once you expand the image/map, the drawing tools are accessible in the same way.
Thanks for thinking of that and pointing that out--it was worth trying!

LordEntrails
March 11th, 2021, 04:10
Sorry for trying to help out.
Apparently you have completely misunderstood my response.

It's great that you reported this. But I'm just a user and as I said, someone else (i.e. a dev) is going to have to reply if the behavior you found is actually intentional or not. Also as I said, it certainly doesn't seem intended, but only a dev can answer that.

Your report is appreciated, by users (like me) and I'm sure the devs themselves.

Given that I suspect that even if this is unintentional (i.e. a bug), it probably won't become enough of a priority to be fixed for weeks or months. I was attempting to add more advice/useful feedback to help you with a work around. And to even point out, that in my opinion, even a fix in FG isn't going to fix the root cause of your issue.

But, if you are not interested in advice that is attempting to be useful, that's ok too, and I won't reply further unless you ask me to. Good luck and hope you get an answer you are hoping for and if not, that you figure out a way to keep gaming and having fun.

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2021, 13:47
There is that option, but it has the same issue. Once you expand the image/map, the drawing tools are accessible in the same way.
Thanks for thinking of that and pointing that out--it was worth trying!

Now that I'm back on my computer I've been doing some testing on this. Firstly it seems that the lock drawing layer isn't working at all. The default state is locked (as far as I can tell) but even with it locked players can still draw on the map. Also there's no need to expand the map - the drawing tool is available by just sharing the image. No matter what state the image is in whether just normal or set to the background players have access to the drawing tool. I think this is not intended and may be a consequence of an earlier update which changed how the toolbar is viewed by players (at one point I think the toolbar wasn't showing for players if the map was in the background - or something similar).

So, in summary, I can reproduce the issue and I'm fairly sure that this is not intended behaviour.

One other thing I discovered and that is there is a clear drawing command available via the right click button which wipes all drawings on the map. This could be useful for you in wiping out things in one go.

guyriessen
March 13th, 2021, 23:54
One other thing I discovered and that is there is a clear drawing command available via the right click button which wipes all drawings on the map. This could be useful for you in wiping out things in one go.

Thanks for pointing me to the Clear Drawing command!