PDA

View Full Version : LOS points keep moving.

DragonBetween
March 9th, 2021, 17:54
So I tracked down what causes my LOS points to move filially. I am using FGU in 5th ed. All of my LOS move if I add a new image to the layers and then resize that image. The LOS points just don't move but also resize so I cant just select all the points and move them back into place. I would have have to move every single point back into place. They don't move a lot but its enough to drive me crazy.

Moon Wizard
March 9th, 2021, 18:48
Moved to House of Healing forum.

If occluders get added to a different layer than the image; then they will not resize when you resize an image layer independently.

If the topmost layer is an image layer; then occluders should add to that layer by default; otherwise, a new layer is created.

You can select multiple layers in the Layers mode when resizing. (Shift + click)

Regards,
JPG

DragonBetween
March 9th, 2021, 19:37
Moved to House of Healing forum.

If occluders get added to a different layer than the image; then they will not resize when you resize an image layer independently.

If the topmost layer is an image layer; then occluders should add to that layer by default; otherwise, a new layer is created.

You can select multiple layers in the Layers mode when resizing. (Shift + click)

Regards,
JPG

I make a separate layer for all of the LOS points so the are not attached to any image and on a single layer. This happened when if I add a image of a floor tile. The floor tile is originally set to 140 pixels per grid and I have my grid set to 50 pixels, so when I adjusted that new floor tile layer to fit to my grid size all of my occluders moved. Even though they where not on the same layer as the new floor tile.

LordEntrails
March 9th, 2021, 21:12
Can you please provide step by step instruction to reproduce? i.e. 1) create new campaign, 2) create new image 3) drag...

Moon Wizard
March 9th, 2021, 23:31
Yeah, I'm not following the issue. It sounds like you have LoS on a different layer than the image; so you'd have to resize them together. Or, you can add directly to the image.

If you're thinking that a subset of the LoS points would resize somehow; that's not something that's supported.

We recommend placing the LoS on the same layer as the graphic for best effect.

Regards,
JPG

DragonBetween
March 10th, 2021, 03:11
Can you please provide step by step instruction to reproduce? i.e. 1) create new campaign, 2) create new image 3) drag...
Yes I will do it tomorrow.

DragonBetween
March 10th, 2021, 21:19

This is a pic of what I'm doing with my LOS occluders visible.

This next one is a close up of my LOS occluders with everything else hidden so the occluders placement is easier to see.

The next one is of a wall tile I dropped from my assets. Its set at 140 pixels per grid square, but my map is set at 50 pixels per grid square.

The next one is after I changed the wall tile size to 5 on the width so its the right size to fit the grid.

This one is at the top end of the LOS occulders showing that they moved. this is also the same place I showed the close up in pic 02.

See next post for more please.

DragonBetween
March 10th, 2021, 21:26
This on is the same area as pic 02 and pic 05. but after I went to the bottom part of the LOS occulders and selected them all and moved the lowest point to the spot that it was at before I placed the wall tile. this shows that it doesn't just move but resizes.

This is a text file of all of my occudlers before I set the new wall tile.
See before.txt attachment

This is a text file of all of my occudlers after I set the new wall tile.
See after.txt attachment

LordEntrails
March 10th, 2021, 22:43
Ah, Folders!
95% sure that their is a known bug with putting LOS into folders. If someone doesn't confirm that shortly I will look more into it.

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2021, 00:04
I’m still not really sure what’s going on. Why would you want to add something to a completed map which has occluders on it. Would you not complete the entire map before adding occluders? And why have the LOS on a different layer? Shouldn’t the LOS not just be on the base layer? I suspect that the issue lies somewhere along this path. Because you have a separate layer for the LOS it doesn’t know to resize to fit the additional portion of the map. Adding the additional bit must be changing the size of the original map and because the LOS isn’t attached to the map it stays where it is. Speculation here, since I’m not as I say absolutely clear of the steps you’ve taken and how the map was constructed.

DragonBetween
March 11th, 2021, 00:45
I’m still not really sure what’s going on. Why would you want to add something to a completed map which has occluders on it. Would you not complete the entire map before adding occluders? And why have the LOS on a different layer? Shouldn’t the LOS not just be on the base layer? I suspect that the issue lies somewhere along this path. Because you have a separate layer for the LOS it doesn’t know to resize to fit the additional portion of the map. Adding the additional bit must be changing the size of the original map and because the LOS isn’t attached to the map it stays where it is. Speculation here, since I’m not as I say absolutely clear of the steps you’ve taken and how the map was constructed.

I left the LOS separate because I plan on deleting the original map image after I am done. When I first started this adventure I was completing each room all the way before moving on to the next room, but then this started happening. I thought it might be because I had my grid set to 140 pixels for the wall tiles I'm using so I wouldn't have to resize each tile. So then I finished the first section I wanted to keep to the system resources lower. I'm still trying to figure out how much I can put on one map before its to much for the kid that is in my group with a PC that isn't very good. I then set all of my LOS but I forgot one little piece and had to add it and that is when I found out what caused the LOS to move and change. This really has been a blessing in disguise though because it made me delve into the the db file for the occluder code. So I have figured out how to copy my occluder code after the LOS is good and now I just replace it in the db file. I originally thought the bug happened during starting up FGU. So know I'll move the occluder code on to the map image layer and not delete it. But there is a bug here.

Kelrugem
March 11th, 2021, 01:46
I also keep the LoS separate normally and it should normally work (but I am only testing things, never really done anything with FGU so far sadly).

If I understand correctly, you add a new tile and resize that, and for some reason your separate LoS layer also moves and changes?

I just tested and cannot reproduce it sadly. So, it must be something along that process which is not clear yet. Did you maybe accidentally also select the LoS layer, too, when you start to resize stuff? How do you resize the tiles, with the white nodes or the sidebar of the image? (sounds like the latter)

If you know how to do a video, that may be the best then :) I played around a lot, but I cannot reproduce it so far

Kelrugem
March 11th, 2021, 01:59
Ah, Folders!
95% sure that their is a known bug with putting LOS into folders. If someone doesn't confirm that shortly I will look more into it.

Yeah, that can cause issues with visibility, but their LoS layer is outside the folder actually :D

Kelrugem
March 11th, 2021, 02:17

As far as I understood only the new tile gets resized in grid increments :) After that the LoS nodes of the separate layer move for some pixel for whatever reason.

What they do is, they have some old barrowmaze map (the bottom layer), and it gets rebuilt by new tiles to make it look better; the LoS is therefore not at the bottom layer because the old map gets deleted later after it is completely rebuilt :)

A workaround may be therefore just to rebuild the map first, and at the very end add the LoS stuff. However, I tried something similar right now as I said and I never got the bug; I even had the image in the background mode as in your screenshots (because I suspected the background mode) but still no gain :D