PDA

View Full Version : Die Rolls calculating incorrectly

quikdagger
March 7th, 2021, 19:50
Have discovered that when rolling dice the "0" on the d10 will always count as 10 > for example if you roll D100 (40 + 0) it comes up as 40+10 =50 instead of 40.

Is this intended or is it an option to change?

For example
https://i.imgur.com/CnYdAKh.png

Marquis_de_Taigeis
March 7th, 2021, 20:08
if your rolling just a d10 then the 0 is always taken to be a 10 when using physical dice
when rolling D% i just tested this and for 1 roll the 10s dice came up 10 and the digits dice came up 0 producing a result of 10
if it was to roll 00 on the 10s dice and 0 on the digits dice it would roll 100

because your rolling a D% with an extra d10 this is why you are getting the 70 in your example as its most likely rolled a 60 on the tens dice a 0 on the digits dice for the d% being 60 plus the 0 coming up on the extra dice to produce a 10 for 70 total

Trenloe
March 7th, 2021, 20:19
That's how the old d% was coded, and how CoC uses it. It's by design currently and still gives you 1-100.

This convention seemed to be popular in certain parts of Europe a couple of decades ago (when and where FG was developed).

There was a poll and nearly 25% said they were used to adding the units die to the tens die and counting the units die as 1-10. See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?8354-d100-percentile-die-convention

FG Classic did it this way, FG Unity has changed to use the more commonly recognised format. However, Call of Cthulhu was specifically coded to have the d100 directly on the desktop and was coded the way FGC did it.

tcrowbar
March 16th, 2021, 15:10
So is this going to get fixed because it was a huge problem for my players and made them question and not trust Fantasy Grounds calculation abilities.
https://i.imgur.com/0fzx7RG.png

Trenloe
March 16th, 2021, 16:08
So is this going to get fixed because it was a huge problem for my players and made them question and not trust Fantasy Grounds calculation abilities.
https://i.imgur.com/0fzx7RG.png
Please read my post immediately above yours.

tcrowbar
March 16th, 2021, 19:06
Please read my post immediately above yours.

My apologies but I did and I didn't see an answer, more of statements about why.

This is what I read. You basically said "Thats how the old d% was coded" , "Its by design and still gives you 1-100" , "this way is popular in some parts of Europe" , "75% of the people voted in a poll and don't like the Euro way, while 25% like it the Euro way", "FG unity fixed it but when it was coded for CoC it was done the Euro way that 75% of the people don't like" ...

but that doesn't answer the question "is this going to get fixed for CoC?" Or should we just plan on just dealing with it.

Trenloe
March 16th, 2021, 19:13
From my point of view I don't think there's an issue to "fix". The roll is still 1-100. Nothing's broken. Just the perception that it's doing something wrong. But it's not, as I explained. Hence why I referred to back to my post, assuming you hadn't read it thoroughly.

Now, if your request is that this be "changed" then that's a different matter and up to the ruleset developer to review and decide if they want to do the work to change the currently working functionality. Semantics? Maybe. But I want to get across that it isn't broken, so it doesn't need fixing. I'm surprised that it's a "huge problem" for your players - I'm sure if you describe to them what I said, and they roll a bunch of d%, they'll see that their isn't anything untoward going on and they can trust the result of the d% roll.

tcrowbar
March 16th, 2021, 19:51
Yeah I get it and was testing it myself and talking to a few of them. I think they will come to terms with it eventually. I think the main problem is how the dice show, its disappointing to players when you have a skill 40 and you see the dice roll of 40 + 10 and think its going to be 40 and its really 50. So you went from thinking you succeeded to failing the roll. A player said "I feel like I'm switching from inches to metric".

Trenloe
March 16th, 2021, 20:03
I think the main problem is how the dice show, its disappointing to players when you have a skill 40 and you see the dice roll of 40 + 10 and think its going to be 40 and its really 50. So you went from thinking you succeeded to failing the roll.
Yeah, I get that. It's probably better for Rolemaster!

damned
March 17th, 2021, 04:22
Switching from Inches to Metric is a good thing!

Jiminimonka
March 18th, 2021, 13:28
Yeah I get it and was testing it myself and talking to a few of them. I think they will come to terms with it eventually. I think the main problem is how the dice show, its disappointing to players when you have a skill 40 and you see the dice roll of 40 + 10 and think its going to be 40 and its really 50. So you went from thinking you succeeded to failing the roll. A player said "I feel like I'm switching from inches to metric".

That is exactly what happens when you roll dice - you see the number you want and then it keeps rolling and lands on a number you don't want. ;)

Zaxxon
March 26th, 2021, 21:29
My players had the same problem with the d10, it's coded 1-10 and not 0-9 unlike the physical dice from the starter set that does have a 0-9 d10, it you want to check, go to page 19 of the main rulebook where it tells you how to read the dice, and it's not the way it's coded on here, please change it to match the actual rules :D

Jiminimonka
March 26th, 2021, 22:45
1-10 or 0-9 same thing.

damned
March 27th, 2021, 04:19
The way the FGC does it is actually the most consistently accurate way of displaying 1-100 on 2 dice.
The more commonly used method today of having 00 be 0 when the other dice is 1-9 but be 100 when the other dice is 0 is not consistent and would be much harder to explain to someone who didnt have this knowledge already.
All other dice start their numbering at 1.
Only percentile dice use a dice that starts at 0.
Using the 10s dice starting at 0 rather than the units is far more logically consistent.

FGC only supports the dice method used in the CoC ruleset.
I dont think it is likely that the dice will be recoded in this ruleset to display differently between FGC and FGU.

As to the rulebook - it uses the word usually when describing the percentile dice. Earlier versions of the rulebook even talk about various methods of getting different dice ranges when you dont have dice for those.

Ultimately the rulebook describes percentile dice as dice that deliver a result between 1 and 100 and that is what these dice do.

The Decepticon
June 17th, 2021, 22:38
So, I just came across an issue and not sure this is the correct spot.

Rolling for treasure on Storm King's Thunder treasure charts and all the tables are rolling a D10 + D100 and got 102 total which isn't even on the table as it only goes to 100.

Is this by design? It did give me a treasure but, want to make sure this is correct.

damned
June 18th, 2021, 04:24
Its not the correct spot nor is it by design.
Well maybe its by design.
In FGC the code that rolled a d100 was basically roll a d100 (0/10/20/30etc) and a d10
In FGU it knows when you say d100 that you roll both die

Now for tables it may be that there is an errant hangover in the code that isnt checking for FGU over FGC and is using the FGC method but I think its more likely the old dice method is stored in that tables xml.
Thus Id report it first in the 5E Bug Thread :)