PDA

View Full Version : FR: resizing windows on all sides

jrrnewton
March 5th, 2021, 22:57
Greetings, not sure where Feature Requests should be, but here you go:
Currently, when you open a window in FGU, you can only resize it on the right hand, bottom, or bottom right corner.
I request that this behavior be changed to allow window resizing on all four sides. If you need to leave the bottom right corner the only two dimension resize point, that would be ok.
Right now I shift scale and resolution based on the number of monitors that I have, and often a window will open where it is too tall or too wide for my current display. I can get to the top and left borders, but sometimes I cannot get to the bottom or right ones, and this makes it very difficult to resize these windows.

Kelrugem
March 5th, 2021, 23:07
Greetings, not sure where Feature Requests should be, but here you go:
Currently, when you open a window in FGU, you can only resize it on the right hand, bottom, or bottom right corner.
I request that this behavior be changed to allow window resizing on all four sides. If you need to leave the bottom right corner the only two dimension resize point, that would be ok.
Right now I shift scale and resolution based on the number of monitors that I have, and often a window will open where it is too tall or too wide for my current display. I can get to the top and left borders, but sometimes I cannot get to the bottom or right ones, and this makes it very difficult to resize these windows.

Press ctrl while you drag the window, then you can resize it everywhere :) (lock stuff like story sheets before you do that, otherwise it may just mark text etc.)

bmos
March 5th, 2021, 23:46
Press ctrl while you drag the window, then you can resize it everywhere :) (lock stuff like story sheets before you do that, otherwise it may just mark text etc.)That's a great tip, but it still only changes the right and bottom edges. I think the request here is being able to have the right/bottom edges static while moving the other two.

Kelrugem
March 5th, 2021, 23:50
That's a great tip, but it still only changes the right and bottom edges. I think the request here is being able to have the right/bottom edges static while moving the other two.

aaah, okay, I see :)

jrrnewton
March 6th, 2021, 00:53
Thank you, that solves the problem I was having, mainly to be able to resize things that had the bottom or right off the edge of the screen.

jrrnewton
March 6th, 2021, 00:55
To be clear, It does not answer my question directly, but it does fix the problem I was having. It would be nice to resize the left border, if I have something lined up on the right, and want to adjust, but it is not a necessary feature. I see the ability to shrink an resize items that have the bottom and right outside of the current FGU window/resolution size as being critical, and using CTRL to resize does that for me. Thank you all!

LordEntrails
March 6th, 2021, 03:08
Feature requests go on the Wish List; https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Calybos
June 13th, 2021, 01:08
The reply gives a workaround, not a solution. This is a fundamental usability issue; windows should be resizable from ANY border, period.

Trenloe
June 13th, 2021, 10:05
The reply gives a workaround, not a solution. This is a fundamental usability issue; windows should be resizable from ANY border, period.
I'd recommend you link to any request you add to the Idea Informer, so that others who want to see this functionality can vote on it. And don't forget to also vote for anything you add yourself! :)

Arghun
June 13th, 2021, 12:53
I agree 100% with you. In 2021 it's hard to understand why it's just not base functionality... we're no longer in the DOS days and mostly everything now comes as a window. Link your request and I will upvote

deer_buster
June 15th, 2021, 13:59
I agree 100% with you. In 2021 it's hard to understand why it's just not base functionality... we're no longer in the DOS days and mostly everything now comes as a window. Link your request and I will upvote

It's almost like FGU was crippled on purpose to remove standard window functionality

LordEntrails
June 15th, 2021, 18:20
Remember, FG architecture was defined in 2004 or earlier. And even though we call them windows, they are not o/s level windows. Therefore all of their behavior and functionality was built from scratch.

Personally I have no desire for windows to be resized by grabbing any edge. Too likely for me to inadvertently resize something when either I am try to drag it or otherwise interact with it.

But, like all feature requests, put it on the wish list if you want it. https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

MOD: This sub-forum is not the place to discuss, not because you can't discuss such on the forums, but because this is the Laboratory and is for discussion of public test builds, of which there currently is none and this functionality is core, and not beta. If you would like me to move this to an appropriate forum, such as the Tavern, please just ask.

deer_buster
June 15th, 2021, 18:36
Remember, FG architecture was defined in 2004 or earlier. And even though we call them windows, they are not o/s level windows. Therefore all of their behavior and functionality was built from scratch.

Let me correct that for you... "FGC architecture was defined in 2004". Unity architecture isn't a 2004 custom built architecture though. You go into most any app that has "subwindows" and they act the same as an "o/s level" window.

MOD: This sub-forum is not the place to discuss, not because you can't discuss such on the forums, but because this is the Laboratory and is for discussion of public test builds, of which there currently is none and this functionality is core, and not beta. If you would like me to move this to an appropriate forum, such as the Tavern, please just ask.
If it isn't appropriate for this subforum, then that makes sense to do.

LordEntrails
June 15th, 2021, 19:02
Let me correct that for you... "FGC architecture was defined in 2004". Unity architecture isn't a 2004 custom built architecture though. You go into most any app that has "subwindows" and they act the same as an "o/s level" window.
The engine architecture is not, the interface architecture is still that developed for FGC. Windows inside the FGU application window are still not o/s windows. They are actually frames/windowclasses in the ruleset code that is used to define them.

But, it doesn't matter what they are. They do not have the functionality that you want and for them to get that functionality the ruleset code has to be changed. The way you get that changed is to add the suggestion to the wish list.

It also doesn't matter how other programs behave, FG windows currently work as designed, so it's not a bug, it's an intentional behavior. And again, how you get that changed is to add it to the wish list. Which I then suggest you add a link here to the wish list item, and a link in the wish list back to the discussion here. Then the community as a whole can vote to decide how important it is.

deer_buster
June 15th, 2021, 19:37
Calm down there...

LordEntrails
June 15th, 2021, 19:48
:) Not a problem.