PDA

View Full Version : Blades in the Dark ruleset

GladysGlitch
March 4th, 2021, 17:17
[UPDATE 07/03/24] This is an unofficial Fantasy Grounds ruleset for the TTRPG Blades in the Dark.

It includes character sheets with some automated rolls, crew sheets, some new sidebar buttons and records for cohorts/abilities/clocks.

- The bonus dice box on the character sheet only goes from 0-3
- Players should be able to edit Crew Sheets themselves once shared by the GM. (may need to refresh the sheet)
- Choosing another playbook or crew type will clear some options, be careful if turning a character into a ghost.
- Abilities/items/factions etc are not included, these are found in the official rulebook.
- Hold control and left click on a clock to reduce it by 1.
- Grey theme available.

Any bugs, feedback or suggestions for improvement are most welcome~

The below downloads are for Fantasy Grounds Classic. See #post 6 or the Forge for the Unity Version (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/721/view).

[08/04/21] Updated Classic and Unity. (Post #18 for information)
[18/05/21] Updated Classic ruleset to fix visibility error caused by CoreRPG update.
[14/02/22] Updated Unity ruleset. (Post #40 for information)
[08/03/22] Updated Unity ruleset to fix sidebar error caused by CoreRPG update.
[09/04/22] Updated Unity ruleset to add [Forged] options.
[26-28/07/22] Updated Unity ruleset to fix errors caused by CoreRPG update and add bonus dice descriptions to roll. Added to Forge.
[23/08/22] Updated Classic ruleset to match the Unity version. Note!! Be careful with your saved campaigns, always make a back up. Some data may be lost, particularly PC relationship data, faction tier/scale and some vehicle fields.
[08/03/23] Updated Unity ruleset to add record filters, factions tab to the crew sheet and change clocks.
[14/06/23] Updated Unity ruleset to match CoreRPG update.
[11/08/23] Update Unity ruleset to add 5th action option.
[31/08/23] Updated Unity ruleset to change CoreRPG theme.
[12/01/24] Updated Unity ruleset to match CoreRPG update and fix bugs.
[07/03/24] Updated Unity ruleset to match CoreRPG update and add colour picker to main clocks.

License information:
This work is based on Blades in the Dark (found at*https://www.bladesinthedark.com/), product of One Seven Design, developed and authored by John Harper, and licensed for our use under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).

madman
March 4th, 2021, 20:38
Nice Job! Thanks for sharing with the community!

Madman..

damned
March 4th, 2021, 22:34
Well done GladysGlitch

Valyar
March 10th, 2021, 05:54
Looks and feels great! Looking forward to the Unity edition :)

micrex
March 15th, 2021, 09:14
I second that. Great system and can't wait for the unity edition.

GladysGlitch
March 15th, 2021, 13:20
Thanks guys!

Here's the Unity version:
Please do let me know any suggestions for improvement or problems with bugs, especially with the coming updates.
[Updated 07/03/23]

Grey Theme extension for Unity:

Valyar
March 16th, 2021, 15:44
So far it seems to work, will report if there are issues. I think the mosaic pattern of the window should be changed to something more... in the tone of the setting, not that modern look.

vegaserik
March 17th, 2021, 17:17
Nice, looking forward to trying this out. Thanks!

micrex
March 23rd, 2021, 16:58
Seems to work great. No bugs found. Do you plan on utilizing the Position and Effect drop downs for more than adding to speech bubble? Currently there is no way to reset them to blank so once selected you need to remember to always select even though it's just for outputting text. Also interested in the clock page, is it just for text tracking? What's with the token? Thank you.

micrex
March 23rd, 2021, 17:07
Also forgot to mention. You can change the dice system to /roll xd6k1 and it'll only keep the highest but still display all so you know if you got a crit.

GladysGlitch
March 23rd, 2021, 19:11
Thanks for letting me know! The position / effect is just text for the GM to keep track of the original roll in case players forget they have a lesser effect due to harm or rolled a desperate roll for xp purposes. I can definitely add a blank option unless you think it would be better not to have the text there at all? Most rolls will probably be risky standard.
The tokens on the clock page were intended to keep track of long term projects/ faction relationships etc. But dragging a token over every time you want to advance the clock is too cumbersome so I intend to update it to the attached screenshot instead where you can select the number of divisions and just click the clock itself to fill in sections:

damned
March 23rd, 2021, 23:04
GladysGlitch have you seen my Blades Clock extension?

micrex
March 24th, 2021, 03:49
@GladysGlitch I'd say if position/effect are just for flavor or textual reminders then it would be better to remove them. If they stay then perhaps have them reset to the default Risky/Standard after each roll. If you intend to update the dice to automatically review for the highest then spit out Text, such as "Standard Success, but.." for a 5 or "Risky Failure" on a 2, then I can see them being very relevant.

Sadly I don't know how hard that is to do. I have coding experience but the architecture of these files, what calls what and why baffles me. Also the new clocks picture looks like a great idea.

@damned Could you link to your thread or extension? I see you have played a part in many different creation threads. Be careful or I might start asking you how to do things.

damned
March 24th, 2021, 08:31
Hi micrex I shared the extension with GladysGlitch in case there is anything useful in it for her project
It is a MoreCore theme and it has been untouched for quite some time so a few things are broken.
Quick instructions -
load it up, go to options -> sidebar -> clocks
create a new clock
name it
choose 4/6/8
and then you can advance/retreat the clock with click/ctrlclick
and they can be shared
hadnt really worked out where they ought to be shared etc...

Without derailing this thread Im happy to answer any questions that I can.

gomesfferreira
April 1st, 2021, 19:30
Hello there Mr.

Your creation is very impressive, and I look forward to contribute/use it as much as I can, since I simply love Blades in the Dark above all else. But it still lacks certain key features/functionalities, that i'd like to point out could be good overhauls, such as:

- Ability to make fortune rolls
- Ability to add permanent bonus dice from certain special abilities (that would be applied everytime you make a certain roll)
- Ability to make rolls directly from the cohorts section (using their current tier + any bonuses such as from the Elite upgrade)
- Ability to select non-default Playbooks/Crew Sheets (instead of having all of the non-official stuff out there it would perhaps be better to have a CUSTOM playbook option)
- Bonus dices when rolling could come in green instead of red OR rolls results highlighting with a green dice the highest dice for ease of reading
- Resistence rolls not showing FAILURE/PARTIAL/FULL SUCCESS. Instead, it could show how much stress that resistence cost and directly add/subtract from the sheet.
- Include the default abilities from the default playbooks/crew sheets in the Abilities tab (with something to check/select the ones you've learned)
- Make it possible to tick i.e. the 7th stress marker and it fill them all the way to the 7th instead of highlighting only the 7th mark (same for coin/stash)
- Add all the special and default items to the inventory and a way to mark the ones you've used in a score
- Move the character's Heritage, Background, Alias and Vice Purveyor to the Main page
- Add xp triggers for the playbooks and crew sheet
- Make the sheets windows expandable
- Make it possible to add more clocks to a character's/crew's sheet
- Create an indulge vice or similar button to determine how much stress it will clear (also removing that amount of stress from the markers and possibly telling if the character overindulged)
- Add Vampire's dark talent bonus dice marker for each attribute
- In the crew's sheet, perhaps switch positions between Rep/Turf/Tier/Hold with Reputation/Lair/Heat/Wanted boxes
- Make the bonus dice box clear after a roll
- Instead of typing the number of dice, make it also possible to tick boxes for: Push Yourself/Bargain + Help that will also clear after a roll
- Change Postion/Effect dropdowns options order to CONTROLLED/RISKY/DESPERATE and EXTREME/GREAT/STANDARD/LIMITED/ZERO instead of the current alphabetical order.

Please take all of these with a pinch of salt, since they're more like suggestions to improve the brilliant work you've done so far, rather than demands or whatnot :)

Also, please consider beautifying the theme a bit. It feels kinda outdated Windows black and white themes xD

Possible bug i've seen:

- When updating items in inventory, the Total Load is correctly updated, but the picked load at the start of the score keeps changing to match the current amount of "used items" load.

I hope these could be useful to you as the programmer/creator. I've tried myself getting into .pak editting and got no progress whatsoever. So once again, shoutout to your brilliant work.
If you want to discuss more, feel free to get in touch.

Best regards,

GladysGlitch
April 1st, 2021, 21:12
Hi gomesfferreira,

Thanks for the detailed(!!) feedback.

Some of those things are easy to change/fix. Others I don’t how to code yet but I’ll experiment.

With the abilities/inventory/xp triggers I was wary of putting more in than needed in case it breaches copyright but if the Roll20 sheets have them it should be fine to include.

I liked the theme :cry: I thought it matched the colours of the Blades pdf and the mosaic looked like the aerial view of a city. But that’s two strikes against it so if anyone has any specific suggestions/examples?

gomesfferreira
April 1st, 2021, 21:18
Here to help buddy.

Well, i'm definitely not an artist to render some fantastic designs for you, but perhaps changing the tones to a less black and white to a more greyscale (like dark grey for black and very light grey for white) could probably strike less for their contrast.

I dunno, just shooting up an idea xD

GladysGlitch
April 8th, 2021, 16:44
08/04/21 Update
I’m going to list changes here rather than take up the whole first post.

PC Sheets:

Changed the playbook button to a drop-down menu for ease of selection and added a ‘CUSTOM’ option which sets most values on the sheet to 0.
XP bars will fill up from the left to the point you click on them/empty from the right.
Added a list of playbook-specific xp triggers and buttons to keep track during the game.
Fixed bug with resist rolls. No longer show failure/success. Now say how much stress to take/clear. This is automatically added or subtracted from the stress bar.
Added a checkbox next to each resist roll. This adds one permanent bonus dice to the roll.
If ‘Vampire’ playbook is selected another checkbox appears next to each attribute. If checked this adds 1 permanent dice to the resist roll for that attribute and reveals a fifth marker for each trait.
Added a checkbox for each trait to add 1 permanent dice.
Added a ZERO option to the effect choices and fixed grammar issue with position and effect rolls (for an extreme effect, for zero effect etc)
Added push yourself/devil’s bargain/assistance boxes. These increase the number of bonus dice up to 3 but not higher. Doesn’t change effect level or add the 2 stress automatically.
Added the option to increase the number of stress boxes by 3, up to a maximum of 12. Added the option to increase the number of trauma boxes by 1.
If Hull or Ghost playbooks are selected the stress/trauma labels change to Drain/Gloom/Wear.
Hull automatically gets another drain box and Vampire trauma boxes are automatically filled.
Added an indulge vice button next to stress. Based on the lowest attribute score. Automatically clears stress and messages chat if overindulged.
Changed carried/equipped on the inventory tab to a single box. Easier to see what you’ve used.
Fixed bug with total load changing load selected.
Stash coins fill up from the left as per xp boxes.
Changed clocks layout. Can now add more.

Crew Sheets:

Changed crew button to drop down menu for ease of selection and added a ‘CUSTOM’ option which sets values on the sheet to 0. On selecting custom the lair map turns blank and can be written in.
Changed layout of the main page.
Added an entanglements roll based on heat and wanted level.
Rep, heat, wanted, tier coin/vaults fill up from the left and empty from the right.
Added the one crew-specific xp trigger.
Clocks can be added, same as the pc sheet.

General:

Rejigged layout of sheets to enable resizing.
Rolls on pc and crew sheets can be dragged into the chatbox or dice tower.
Added a roll button on cohorts sheet linked to quality with 1 bonus dice option.
The highest (or lowest) dice result is posted in chat for clarification.

Not Changed:

Haven’t added fortune rolls. These are so situational, I think it’s easier to just roll the number of d6 needed.
Special ability options per playbook. Not enough room on the sheet for the descriptions. Just add the link to the ability you want to take to the sheet.
Standard items. GM can create a parcel for each playbook and drop it into the inventory.
Order of drop down box. Looks like FG only sorts lists by alphanumeric order, can’t find a way to change it.
Theme not changed yet. In progress.

micrex
April 13th, 2021, 20:07
I'm guessing these updates are FG only not FGU?

I wanted to let you know I'm actually running a campaign with your ruleset. We're playing a FitD hack, so its not exactly Blades but your ruleset is the closest thing and everyone loves it.

GladysGlitch
April 15th, 2021, 22:48
I updated both the Classic and Unity ones.
Glad to hear it! Let me know how it goes.

Valyar
May 4th, 2021, 11:35
I did a test run on the updated version and it was great. The more I was tinkering with it, the more ideas for improvements came and I really sorry that the author is blinded to Roll20 only.

If I find time someday (because inspiration and motivation is always top) I might try to give a hand here - especially the Abilities and Inventory part that in the current state is not really my cup of tea (I don't like the drag & drop for Blades, I prefer the original way of having pre-defined list).

Great work so far!

Valyar
June 1st, 2021, 08:50
A minor update that will help some games - add 10 and 12 segment clocks.

JakkVonSwaggr
July 14th, 2021, 11:44
GladysGlitch, I am loving the ruleset. Quick question though, I know this isn't something that is vitally important for many but I wanted to ask how to select a language for the characters from the character sheets? I understand Doskvol only has 3 languages that are identified in the literature and wanted see if it could be applied.

GladysGlitch
July 14th, 2021, 12:15
Hi Jakk, glad to hear it. I'm currently running a game using a newer version of the ruleset and adding things as I go along so it has the main three languages + ghost voice, more clocks, clearer theme/layout etc. When I'm happy with it I'll update here, hopefully soon!

JakkVonSwaggr
July 16th, 2021, 07:13
Hey GladysGlitch,

Excellent to hear and can't wait to see the new ruleset when you are happy with it. Side note I also use the remove dice mod to remove some clutter from the board and to prevent any mistakes with rools.

Vexzilla
July 18th, 2021, 15:40
GladysGlitch,

Thanks so much for the good work in pulling this together. I've run a couple games so far, and the interface has been HUGELY helpful. I've been filling out entities and cross linking things, and have one small bug (?) and two quality of life requests for next release.

* The Special Abilities section of the Crew sheet does not allow drag and drop of stuff from Abilities the way that the Special Abilities in the Character Sheet does, and it would be awesome if it could (this is the bug)
* A sidebar for Factions would be awesome. The NPC one sorta pulls double duty for us here, but having a more dedicated section for them given their prominence would be awesome (particularly if the allies/enemies section allowed drag and drop links)
* A sidebar for Locations would also be awesome. I've been doing this with the Notes section, but it would be great to have a front page with some details (like NPCs) and then a tab for notes.

wndrngdru
July 21st, 2021, 04:41
* A sidebar for Factions would be awesome. The NPC one sorta pulls double duty for us here, but having a more dedicated section for them given their prominence would be awesome (particularly if the allies/enemies section allowed drag and drop links)
* A sidebar for Locations would also be awesome. I've been doing this with the Notes section, but it would be great to have a front page with some details (like NPCs) and then a tab for notes.

For these two things you could try damned's Player Agency extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54284-Player-Agency-Extension&p=480546&viewfull=1#post480546). It has a World Builder component that does exactly what you're looking for. I'm not certain it's 100% compatible with this ruleset but it shouldn't hurt to give it a go (make a backup of your campaign folder first). He doesn't specifically call out that it's not compatible, but that just means it's not been reported as such.

damned
July 21st, 2021, 06:31
Theme wise it will not be consistent but yes it certainly does support factions and player notes for al those sorts of things.

AriHallstein
December 18th, 2021, 16:59
Hi there. This ruleset has been amazing and super helpful for my group.

It would appear however that due to the update around 17 December, that I no longer have a sidebar. Players can still access their characters, so we can still stumble through it at least, but it won't last long term.

Durhazz
December 30th, 2021, 18:28
Hi Glitch. Great rule set. You nailed the esthetic. However after the most recent update all of the side bars are gone. I see I am not the only one who pasted about this. Any suggestions?

Durhazz
January 21st, 2022, 19:23
No news yet?

damned
January 21st, 2022, 21:29
GladysGlitch doesnt seem to have been active recently.
This project probably needs someone else to take it over.

Durhazz
January 22nd, 2022, 01:06
Dang. Thanks damned

snakh
February 8th, 2022, 04:15
I don't know if I can commit to taking it over entirely, but I am interested in perhaps fixing it in the short term. As I understand it, the sidebar functionality changed in December. Is there a thread somewhere about fixing this issue (assuming it was a common-ish problem for custom rulesets?)

damned
February 9th, 2022, 12:23
Hello GladysGlitch

While you are elsewhere changes to CoreRPG and the FGU engine have broken your marvelous ruleset.
I have made some fixes and I hope I havent made errors.
This ruleset is really quite wonderful - you have done a great job on it.

I have basically fixed the sidebar to load with the new method and I have hardcoded the values for the combobox's as the code that was populating them wasnt working...
I think that is all I have done.
While Blades is on my list of games to learn - I dont know it currently so I may well have made some errors.

Please do give feedback (anyone/everyone) and I apologise for jumping in on your work.

redba
February 10th, 2022, 06:49
@damned
you are always on top!!! Thank yo you for the work and @GladysGlitch for the ruleset work..

Durhazz
February 10th, 2022, 06:55
Much appreciated damned!

GladysGlitch
February 10th, 2022, 12:47
Thanks Damned for the fix and for letting me know this was happening. I hadn't been getting forum notifications, sorry guys.

I’ll make a new version that doesn’t update when CoreRPG does. If there’s anything else you want included apart from what’s already been mentioned (languages, separate factions, more clocks, lighter theme, general bug fixing etc) do let me know here or on discord.

damned
February 11th, 2022, 11:56
Hi GladysGlitch I know its tempting to consider that route but that also wont prevent some maintenance being required at times. The engine underneath CoreRPG also gets updated which results in changes to CoreRPG and so on... hopefully my changes are easy to find/follow and I havent borked it too much. This is a really call ruleset you have made.

GladysGlitch
February 14th, 2022, 23:15
14/02/22 – version 1.4
Note!! Be careful with your saved campaigns, always make a back up. Some data may be lost, particularly PC relationship data, faction tier/scale and some vehicle fields.
Still importing CoreRPG, as Damned recommended.
These changes are for the Unity version, I’m aiming to update Classic by the end of the week.

PC Sheets:

Changed layout of the roll message. Now roll type, position, and effect are included in the main dice roll. Stops errors with only half the message being secret/printing the message to chat before the roll is made.
Changed bonus dice. Instead of typing the number of dice use the arrows to increase or decrease the number. Assistance/pushyourself/devil’s bargain buttons are for reminders only.
Added tooltips to buttons to make rolls clearer. “Resist”, “+1 permanent dice” etc.
Added tooltips to summarise what actions can be used for, for example “Hunt a target, gather information about its location and movements. Attack with precision shooting from a distance.”
Fixed bug with extra stress and trauma boxes disappearing after closing the game.
Added box for Languages on the ‘Notes’ tab. Please note that this may cause loss of data already entered in the relationships tab.
Added 10 and 12 clocks.

Crew Sheet:

Fixed bug with abilities not transferring across to crew sheet.
Fixed bug with players editing sheet.

Sidebar:

Added icons for sidebar buttons and new records for locations and factions.
Locations include a main tab, a tab for notes and a tab where NPCs can be drag-dropped.
Factions include a main tab, a tab for notes, a tab for NPCs and a tab for clocks.
Added tab for clocks on individual NPCs.
Tier and Scale removed from NPCs.
Added quality field to items.
Added quality field to vehicles. Unnecessary fields removed from vehicles as Edges/Flaws/Armor etc can be found under cohorts.

Layout:

Cleaner theme.
Grey theme available.

Settings:

Added option to the Options Menu allowing GMs to turn off roll totals (Under ‘Game’)
Added option to the Options Menu allowing GMs to change initiative order to ascending or descending (Under ‘Combat’, may require restarting the round to apply changes)
Added four languages. Akorosian, Hadrathi, Skovic and Ghost Voice. GMs must add these under the languages section of the Options Menu.

Raithe Indren
April 7th, 2022, 13:41
This is great. Thank you for updating this.
I'm curious if it is possible to edit the fields (like the names for abilities) to adapt this for other Forged in the Dark systems?

GladysGlitch
April 7th, 2022, 19:10
Hi Raithe, I’ve not played many other Forged in the Dark games but I could give it a go. How much do you think would need to be customisable? Prowess/Insight/Resolve and Hunt/Prowl/Consort etc definitely. Possibly Coin/Load and the labels on the custom crew sheet too.

Band of Blades looks very different though, I’m not sure that would adapt well.

Raithe Indren
April 8th, 2022, 02:23
Prowess/Insight/Resolve and Hunt/Prowl/Consort etc definitely. Possibly Coin/Load and the labels on the custom crew sheet too.

Band of Blades looks very different though, I’m not sure that would adapt well.

That sounds exactly what I was looking for.
On the player sheet: XP, Insight/Prowess/Resolve and their subsequent actions, Coin
On the crew sheet: Lair, Turf and the Lair/Quality/Training sections on the upgrades tab.

I was looking at Runners in the Shadows, and most of it is just cosmetic flavour and to stop my more easily confused players from scratching their heads when I call for a Fight roll instead of Skirmish.
There is a section for tracking implants but I think my players can do that under the notes tab with little issue.

GladysGlitch
April 9th, 2022, 18:40
09/04/22 – Unity version

Okay, I’ve added a [Forged] option to character and crew sheets. If you select that you should be able to edit any fields that are underlined. Blank fields go back to their default. Any issues or other suggestions let me know.

Also:

Changed action and resist roll messages to reflect new forged names.
Removed extra resist roll messages for resolve/prowess
Stopped custom lair descriptions from disappearing.
Fixed inventory load calculation
Fixed some issues with locking vehicle/items
Changed party sheet background on the order tab so the grid is clearer.

Raithe Indren
April 10th, 2022, 02:46
09/04/22 – Unity version

Okay, I’ve added a [Forged] option to character and crew sheets. If you select that you should be able to edit any fields that are underlined. Blank fields go back to their default. Any issues or other suggestions let me know.

[/LIST]

Thank you that was faster than I could have hoped for.
Out of curiousity are there tutorials for learning to do this or does it a greater level of programming expertise?
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds, as of last November, and it has been an interesting learning experience.

GladysGlitch
April 10th, 2022, 22:02
Psicodelix made a great tool for creating rulesets called Ruleset Wizard: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61387-Ruleset-Wizard-The-new-Ruleset-development-environment
I found Damned's videos very helpful to get started: https://www.youtube.com/c/DamianHupfeld/videos
There's also a developer guide on the wiki: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guide
Generally I've found these forums and the official fantasy grounds discord very friendly and happy to help with questions : )

wndrngdru
July 1st, 2022, 18:33
Any chance you could make this available in the Forge? Then updates are easy and automatically applied with other FG updates.

wndrngdru
July 16th, 2022, 16:30
Creating a new NPC gives me errors and deprecation warnings with the newest Unity ruleset updates.

[7/16/2022 10:25:43 AM] [WARNING] Could not load script file (BitD) (npc_header) (campaign/scripts/npc_header.lua)
[7/16/2022 10:25:43 AM] s'link_record_header_id template - DEPRECATED - 2022-07-12 - Use link_record_header'
[7/16/2022 10:25:43 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/npc.lua"]:17: attempt to call field 'update' (a nil value)
[7/16/2022 10:25:43 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "campaign/scripts/npc.lua"]:17: attempt to call field 'update' (a nil value)
[7/16/2022 10:25:44 AM] [WARNING] Frame tabs contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.

Edit: Similar errors are produced when creating a new item in the Items library.

wndrngdru
July 17th, 2022, 00:27
I've also noticed the dice rolling isn't working correctly for actions that have zero dots when pushing yourself. It should just roll 1d, but it's rolling 2d and taking taking the lowest.
Same for getting assistance (or both).

This is probably more of a feature request but, according to the rule, you can't get +1d for both Push Yourself and Devil's Bargain. It's one or the other. So it would be cool if, when you clicked one of those two, it would evaluate the state of the other one and clear it if previously checked.

Even bigger feature request (and purely icing on the cake) would be for the dice result to list which bonus dice were used in the roll.

I really do love the effort you've put into this. It's pretty amazing!

GladysGlitch
July 17th, 2022, 14:00
Ah, thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look when I have some free time.
I think the push yourself/devil's bargain kept messing up so I changed them to reminders only and players just manually increase the number of bonus dice instead but I can look at adding that back in.

wndrngdru
July 25th, 2022, 23:49
That will certainly work as a workaround. Thanks!

For the window header errors, you may find this post helpful (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?74060-Developer-Notes-2022-07-Ruleset-Updates).

GladysGlitch
July 26th, 2022, 21:16
Update 26/07/22:

Fixed errors caused by CoreRPG update
Ticking bonus dice for assistance, pushing yourself or devil's bargain now increase the bonus dice number. Devil's Bargain and Push Yourself can't both be selected at once
Roll results now state if any bonus dice were used and what they were
Unity ruleset now available on the Forge: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/721/view

wndrngdru
July 27th, 2022, 03:09
omg, you're my new favorite human being!

wndrngdru
July 28th, 2022, 04:33
Sidebars are missing on the individual item windows for Abilities, Cohorts, and Vehicles. (My Mac player won't know what to do since he's got no scroll wheel on his mouse. :D )

As an aside, this should totally be made an "official" ruleset. It's at least as good as the Cypher/Numenera ones.

GladysGlitch
July 28th, 2022, 18:00
That's very kind of you to say, I'm glad people are making use of it.
I've added the scrollbars and done some general tidying for compatability. If anyone notices any issues do let me know before I go away on holiday next week.

zertwiz
August 12th, 2022, 16:18
how do I install this ?

wndrngdru
August 12th, 2022, 18:07
Use the Forge link in post #52 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66732-Blades-in-the-Dark-ruleset&p=657586&viewfull=1#post657586), subscribe to it and update FGU. It will be installed as part of the update. Then create a new campaign using Blades in the Dark as the ruleset.

wndrngdru
August 18th, 2022, 03:27
BUG: When dragging an item from the Items Library into a character's inventory, the # of the item is 2 instead of 1.

I think I recall this being caused by a change to a default in an earlier CoreRPG update. I can't tell you where the adjustment needs made, but I do remember it being a thing in several extensions' threads.

damned
August 18th, 2022, 04:20
I think its setting number_charinv to default at 0.

Moon Wizard
August 18th, 2022, 07:41
You'll need to remove the <default>1</default> on the "count" field. It was always problematic, due to network synchronization about who gets to set the default (player or GM). That's what I did for all the included rulesets.

Regards,
JPG

GladysGlitch
August 18th, 2022, 13:14
Cheers guys, updated.

reddragonstory
August 23rd, 2022, 09:45
Hi Gladys. It is a great ruleset. I love it and it looks great. I've just tipped my toe into BitD, and I'm not ready to GM it yet, but I would love to use the clock mechanism as a homebrew rule in DnD 5E Campaigns. What do you think is it possible to have a separate extension for 5E? Thank you in advance

GladysGlitch
August 23rd, 2022, 10:42
That shouldn't be a problem. I assume just the sidebar clocks, not adding a clocks tab to the 5e character sheet too? And for FGU, not Classic?

spinksy
August 23rd, 2022, 20:16
Hi Gladys,
First off thanks very much for making the ruleset its a godsend and your my new favourite human bean.

I'm sure its user error on my behalf, but when I create a PC or new crew nothing on the second tabs appears and there's no items or abilities in the tabs to drag across as required. Is there a file I missed on the download? Any help would be great

GladysGlitch
August 23rd, 2022, 20:38
Hi Spinksy,
I'm not sure what you mean by the second tabs but some things like items/abilities/factions/locations aren't included in the ruleset. I believe they're copyrighted so since this is an unofficial rulset GMs have to create the data themselves. Is that the issue?

spinksy
August 23rd, 2022, 20:48
Ahha, that'll be it then.

Forgot about the copyright bit, cheers for the reply. I'll tinker and add the stuff.

wndrngdru
August 23rd, 2022, 22:51
This is a purely aesthetic suggestion and mainly because of my OC/ADHD need for rulesets having just the dice they actually use in the dice tray.
This will move the d6 to the 1st die position and remove the rest of the dice from the desktop.

Add this to your base.xml:

<includefile source="gameelements.xml" />

Then create a gameelements.xml in the base directory with the following in it:

<die name="d6">
<icon>d6icon</icon>
<position>120,-68</position>
</die>
<die name="d4" merge="delete" />
<die name="d8" merge="delete" />
<die name="d10" merge="delete" />
<die name="d12" merge="delete" />
<die name="d20" merge="delete" />
<die name="dF" merge="delete" />

reddragonstory
August 24th, 2022, 06:26
You are absolutely right, I meant the sidebar clocks menu didn't consider adding it to the character sheet. I guess the created clocks could be linked to other pages such as stories. And yes I meant FGU. Thank you in advance

GladysGlitch
August 24th, 2022, 17:51
Wndrngdru, I don’t think I’m going to remove the other dice just in case GMs want to use them. I’m sure I’ve used a d4 and percentage dice in a game before.

Reddragonstory, try this. It should work for most rulesets for FGU, the clocks can be found under the ‘Campaign’ tab. Left click a clock to advance and control+left click to go back.

Feel free to change the look of the clocks in the graphics folder too if you want something more setting appropriate.

(NOW ON THE FORGE: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/928/view)

wndrngdru
August 24th, 2022, 18:02
Wndrngdru, I don’t think I’m going to remove the other dice just in case GMs want to use them. I’m sure I’ve used a d4 and percentage dice in a game before.

Fair enough. That's what extensions are for. :D

reddragonstory
August 28th, 2022, 08:43
First of all, thank you so much.
I've just downloaded and made a quick test. It seems to be running great. We will test it in next week's session I will inform you how it went.
It will help a lot for following up on different in-game "projects" such as our tinkers weapon development, and various investigations.
Thank you again

GladysGlitch
November 30th, 2022, 14:08
I've updated the separate clocks extension and uploaded it to the Forge here:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/928/view

It should work with most other rulesets and there are four different styles for GMs to choose from.

Please note this is not compatible with the previous extension, if you were using that please make a note of what clocks and values you had before using this.

paladinlee
December 1st, 2022, 23:09
I've updated the separate clocks extension and uploaded it to the Forge here:
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/928/view

It should work with most other rulesets and there are four different styles for GMs to choose from.

Please note this is not compatible with the previous extension, if you were using that please make a note of what clocks and values you had before using this.

Love it! did this in some of my person DnD games. will be handy in MoreCore I hope to run Apocolypse World.

RevenantBob
January 9th, 2023, 17:50
I would love to yoink the clocks from this to do in an extension from another ruleset (I like the clock system from the game).

GladysGlitch
January 10th, 2023, 00:20
I would love to yoink the clocks from this to do in an extension from another ruleset (I like the clock system from the game).

The extension should work with most CoreRPG based rulesets but feel free to do whatever you want with it or the graphics!

wndrngdru
March 4th, 2023, 01:12
QOL Request

Hi Gladys,

Could you adjust the clocks on the NPC and Faction sheets so that the clock and notes lines adjust down when the title has multiple lines? I often make wordy titles. :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56565&stc=1&d=1677892380

GladysGlitch
March 7th, 2023, 19:12
Unfortunately all the embedded clocks have that problem, I need to rewrite it at some point to make it auto adjust and have a scrollbar (2020 me had no clue what she was doing, sorry). But I don't want people to lose the clocks on their char/crew sheets too so for now I'm going to increase their width on char/crew and replace the clocks list on the NPC/faction records with a shortcut to the proper clock records instead. Then there's way more room to write.

I'm also adding filters to Factions so you can sort by tier and by turf, to Abilities so you can sort by crew or by playbook and to NPCs to sort by faction.

Anything else you'd like let me know and I'll see what I can do.

wndrngdru
March 8th, 2023, 02:03
Sweet! The filtering is something I didn't realize I wanted and now I do. :) I've been using groups in an exported module for the abilities and items to keep them sorted. The faction filter on NPCs will be a welcome addition for sure.

Okay, now you've got me in wish mode.
What would really be cool is to have a Factions tab on the Crew sheet that you can drop factions onto and would show the Name, Tier, Hold, and Status with the crew.

GladysGlitch
March 8th, 2023, 14:47
Okay, updated! Added some filters, added a factions tab to the crew sheet where you can monitor your relationship with different factions and changed clocks on NPC/Faction sheets.

wndrngdru
March 9th, 2023, 04:17
Nice! And only 12 hours later!

rocketvaultgames
June 15th, 2023, 15:52
Fantastic extension!

I run an in-person BitD game set in Waterdeep and in order to leverage all my existing campaign data, I run it in the 5E campaign in FGU and show maps, clocks, etc on a 55" TV on the table.

I would love to be able to change the color or the BitD style clocks on a per-clock basis -- basically color code the clocks to easily understand categories at a glance (red for enemy factions, green for PCs, etc.)

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks much!

GladysGlitch
June 15th, 2023, 16:39
Thanks Matt! I can try to do that, it'll be just the BitD style ones though. What other colours would be useful apart from red and green?

rocketvaultgames
June 15th, 2023, 17:00
Awesome. That's the only style I use anyway.

The ultimate would probably just be an RGBA color picker with eyedropper and hex code copy/paste like in the image editor, but otherwise in order of importance:

Red
Yellow
Green
Blue
Orange
Violet

Thanks much!

GladysGlitch
June 15th, 2023, 21:05
I hadn't thought of that, good idea. BitD style clocks in the extension fill in red by default now but you can choose the colour with the RGBA picker.
I've updated the extension on the Forge, I hope that works for you but let me know if anything breaks.

rocketvaultgames
June 15th, 2023, 21:14
That was fast! It seems to be perfect and I don't notice that it's broken anything. I'll let you know if I do.

Sincere thanks!

Ilsensine
June 26th, 2023, 02:21
Hi, some Forged in the Dark games or Blades variants are working with the concept of adding a new additional Action (so there will be for example five actions under one attribute). Is it possible to do such a thing in this FG ruleset? Thanks!

GladysGlitch
June 28th, 2023, 18:32
Hi Ilsensine, it's possible but the sheets would need some rejigging. I'll take a look when I have time but it might not be very soon, sorry!

Ilsensine
June 28th, 2023, 18:42
Thanks a lot!

Sheryn
July 2nd, 2023, 19:41
Hi, I just recently wanted to give a spin to your awesome job but unfortunately I couldn't make it work.

I have Fantasy Grounds Unity updated to 4.4.2 (2023-06-28) I got the console to pop up with some errors in the logs and the side bar is completely missing. I will attach a screenshot from it.

I use MacOS just in case that is something that affects on.

I wish this helps :)

GladysGlitch
July 2nd, 2023, 20:55
Hi Sheryn, I could only replicate those errors when using the ruleset version for FG Classic. Did you download the file that's attached to the first post? If so you want the file attached to post #6 for Unity (I've now updated) instead or subscribe to the Forge version at https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/721/view and it'll download updates automatically.

Sheryn
July 3rd, 2023, 10:22
Oh I see! Thanks a lot! My mistake :) now works perfectly! Awesome job you did there.

Thanks also for the fast answer and support.

GladysGlitch
August 11th, 2023, 17:30
Okay, sorry it took so long. Under "Options – Game – Forged: Number of Actions" GMs can now choose to add another action making a total of 5 per Attribute which you can name yourself. (You may need to reload FG) The resist and indulge vice rolls should take the new actions into account if you’re using them. Any more than that and I’ll have to rewrite a lot more code so you might be better off using MoreCore or XCore which is more customisable.

Also redid some rolls for efficiency and changed decal dimensions in the Grey theme to stop the out-of-range value warning.

wndrngdru
January 6th, 2024, 01:47
Found a bug in how HUNT rolls are handled.

If a character has at least one dot in HUNT, the roll is named and handled as expected. However, if there are no dots in HUNT, the name of whatever the previous roll was is passed to the handler, e.g., STUDY, CONSORT, etc. The outcome is assessed correctly (2d6, pick lowest).
I didn't do exhaustive testing but the other attribute rolls seem to be fine with only HUNT being th
Not a huge deal, but can confuse roll logs.

wndrngdru
January 6th, 2024, 01:53
It also looks like some some deprecated functions need updated.

This comes up in the chat log when opening a Special Ability on the character sheet:

resize_referencepage - DEPRECATED - 2023-06-27 - Contact ruleset/extension/forge author

GladysGlitch
January 12th, 2024, 23:45
Done! Fixed that bug and updated to match the recent CoreRPG updates. If I missed anything let me know.

wndrngdru
February 26th, 2024, 15:58
Just a heads up that the Ruleset is throwing an error on load in the Test channel. I haven't done any further testing but thought you'd like a warning that the upcoming version breaks some things.

GladysGlitch
March 1st, 2024, 10:55
Thanks for letting me know, it should be good to go for next week.