PDA

View Full Version : Effects coding bug for ability scores

bayne7400
March 3rd, 2021, 21:09
Hey I attached a screenshot for an effects coding bug. For INT STR and DEX it halves the modification and rounds down. For the others it seems to roll properly when set to XXX:1. Anything higher than a 1 modifier it reverts to halving.

superteddy57
March 4th, 2021, 17:59
Thanks for the report. I will have a look and see what might be causing the issue.

superteddy57
March 4th, 2021, 18:17
Hey I attached a screenshot for an effects coding bug. For INT STR and DEX it halves the modification and rounds down. For the others it seems to roll properly when set to XXX:1. Anything higher than a 1 modifier it reverts to halving.

I investigated the process for those effects and it looks like the code is adding the number to the ability score and then refactoring the bonus. Is this the proper way to handle this or was it supposed to be a straight add to the bonus for the roll?

Trenloe
March 4th, 2021, 19:08
I investigated the process for those effects and it looks like the code is adding the number to the ability score and then refactoring the bonus. Is this the proper way to handle this or was it supposed to be a straight add to the bonus for the roll?
I would imagine that as this has been in the ruleset for a long time that this is what people have got used to. There are spells and magic items that modify the base ability score - not the bonus. So I wouldn't change it as it could screw up user's effects they've been using for a while. I know the Wiki says "XXX modifier" - but this is a bit vague.

superteddy57
March 4th, 2021, 19:51
I pushed a hotfix to add the bonus directly to the roll so a DEX:1 will add a +1 to the roll. I can revert the code if this does become an issue. I just went off the wiki for it's functionality. I'm just not sure and need some feedback.

bayne7400
March 4th, 2021, 20:17
Well thanks for looking at it ST.

StylinLP38
March 4th, 2021, 20:43
I pushed a hotfix to add the bonus directly to the roll so a DEX:1 will add a +1 to the roll. I can revert the code if this does become an issue. I just went off the wiki for it's functionality. I'm just not sure and need some feedback.

Thanks for trying Superteddy. Unfortunately, this has no effect. I tried a bunch of ways to get this to work and saw no effect. The TLG guys are working on revamping the ruleset and asked others to playtest their efforts in a few weeks.

bayne7400
March 4th, 2021, 20:49
Edited

superteddy57
March 4th, 2021, 22:18
I have reverted the code to the original as it was functioning as it was coded, just a bad interpretation by myself. The effect code when using DEX: 1 will add a 1 to the score and refactor a new bonus from the new score.

bayne7400
March 4th, 2021, 22:22
Now that I know the wiki is not exactly correct and understand how it should work we can work around it for sure.

using ABIL:# [ability] will update the modifier

In other words ABIL:1 charisma raises the roll by one when you roll charisma

Just ABIL:1 raises the rolls of all attribute rolls by 1.

And like Trenloe and ST pointed out DEX:2 just raises your dex score not the modifier. Had I actually scrolled all the way down to examples it would have helped:)