PDA

View Full Version : 5E - Status Indicators by Mattekure (originally Matjam's Status Indicator)

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 00:51
This extension is a fork and update of Matjam's Status Indicators extension which appears to no longer be supported.
Matjams original extension can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59594-5E-Matjam-s-Status-Indicators

The current version of this extension is the final one I will be posting. I will leave this free version posted here but will no longer be providing support for it. Instead, I have completely recreated the functionality in a new extension I am offering for sale on DMsGuild. it offers fewer bugs, a completely rewritten codebase, and new features including initiative and targeting indicators.

DMsGuild Link: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/353690/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Indicators?affiliate_id=712946

Support Thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67756-5e-Indicators&p=593777#post593777

Status Indicators

This extension gives the following features:

Displays the status of character health via blood splatter;
Displays a status for dead, dying and stable.
Displays the the success/fail/save half using colored checkmarks (green/red/yellow respectively)
The saving throw indicators will automatically clear when you advance initiative.
Each element (blood, deathstatus, save indicators) can be toggled on/off in the Options
Blood splatter is attached to the character token not rendered to the map.
Displays for both GM and Player
The scale of the indicators can be set in the options from 0.5-1.2x
Multiple icon sets, can be toggled in the options.
Chat command /siclear will clear save status

Screenshot
https://imgur.com/NFUFxUx.jpg

Thanks to Matjam for the original version

License

Per the original MIT license:
All code is MIT licensed, as per the LICENSE.md in this repository. I did not copy any code from other projects; I did however follow some of the patterns that people implemented.

Images are either CC0 or Public Domain, as noted in the license file. (You will note I reused some images from 5E Combat Enhancer; they are in the Public Domain as Styrmir noted in his licensing.)

Known Bugs
Sometimes the indicator scaling will be wrong on initially opening a map. This can be fixed by opening the combat tracker or advancing the turn.

[B] Final version

similarly
February 25th, 2021, 10:49
Thank you so much! I appreciate it. I'd been using 5e Enhancer, but it's having trouble. All I really wanted were the status indicators, and I really like how you've done yours.

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 13:20
v2 uploaded. This adds multiple icon sets you can switch between in the options

similarly
February 25th, 2021, 13:36
Wow! Awesome! Thank you!

Three of Swords
February 25th, 2021, 15:10
Thank you for picking up this extension! Is there a chance you could add a slash command to clear indicators during a turn? I will add one myself if necessary, but I'm pretty sure others would find this useful as well.

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 15:18
Thank you for picking up this extension! Is there a chance you could add a slash command to clear indicators during a turn? I will add one myself if necessary, but I'm pretty sure others would find this useful as well.

Sure, thats easy enough

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 15:28
v3 posted, adds a slash command to chat, /siclear which will clear the save indicator status.

Three of Swords
February 25th, 2021, 15:49
v3 posted, adds a slash command to chat, /siclear which will clear the save indicator status.

That was fast, thanks!

RedmondStache
February 25th, 2021, 17:50
Great extension! If possible, about all I'd like to see added are visually distinct indicators for PCs who are dying or stable, since those statuses are fairly important for players to recognize as separate from "dead."

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 18:02
Great extension! If possible, about all I'd like to see added are visually distinct indicators for PCs who are dying or stable, since those statuses are fairly important for players to recognize as separate from "dead."

I like the idea. Unfortunately there is currently a bug which I reported here https://fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66430-ActorManager5E-getWoundPercent()-bug that prevents me from using the Status directly. The bug is basically that the status is not returned consistently for Host and Client, where the Client is always 1 status "old", while the Host gets the correct current status. If that gets fixed, and the status is reliably accessible on the client, then I can certainly add something like this in.

EDIT* I suppose I could manually calculate that myself, checking if its a PC, and at 0 hp and if death save fails are >=3. thats what the ruleset code does anyway

Any ideas/thoughts on what it would look like? Perhaps the same skull in another color like yellow or purple or something.

ColinBuckler
February 25th, 2021, 18:14
I would suggest a deeper more wounds overlay if possible.

I do have a number of death in my games (last one was a PC being absorbed by a Gibbering Mouther....) and a skull image popping up when the character is actually dead is a more visual image. So yes my vote would be for more distinctive wounds being shown to both the GM and the PC's.

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 18:20
I'm not an artist, so my ability to make nice looking graphics is limited to my ability to google :D

That said, I did a quick combination of the critical overlay and the dead skull.

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 18:22
or I could get even more fancy, and have 3 stages of skull for the number of failed death saves.

ColinBuckler
February 25th, 2021, 18:28
I would suggest one stage - more fun for the players to guess how many saves.

macDsinfo
February 25th, 2021, 18:42
Thank you very much.

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 19:13
This could work for "Dying" / Bleeding Out.

SirMotte
February 25th, 2021, 19:44
And another mattekure essential. Thanks

eriktedesco
February 25th, 2021, 19:46
or I could get even more fancy, and have 3 stages of skull for the number of failed death saves.

that would be nice, as long as the extension stays streamlined. Let's try to avoid complications! As it is, this extension is compatible with pretty much every extension.

RedmondStache
February 25th, 2021, 19:47
Not exactly themed to D&D, so probably not for everyone, but I think the classic yellow-triangle-with-an-exclamation-mark warning sign would be a perfectly serviceable indicator for dying. That would let players know instantly that the character is in danger but not yet dead. Maybe with a little splash of blood over one corner to add that extra touch of information about what sort of danger it is.

Dunno if showing "stable" is possible as-is, but a bandage icon would work well for that purpose.

SirMotte
February 25th, 2021, 20:19
I will take a look at making some DnD friendly Icons, more on the realistic and gritty side of things. Exhausted from work right now, will do so at the weekend.

BaneTBC
February 25th, 2021, 20:44
@mattekure It's these little quality of life things that make our games so much easier (not to mention dozens of others you have worked out). Appreciate not only this one, but all the ones you do!

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 21:11
Not exactly themed to D&D, so probably not for everyone, but I think the classic yellow-triangle-with-an-exclamation-mark warning sign would be a perfectly serviceable indicator for dying. That would let players know instantly that the character is in danger but not yet dead. Maybe with a little splash of blood over one corner to add that extra touch of information about what sort of danger it is.

Dunno if showing "stable" is possible as-is, but a bandage icon would work well for that purpose.

That’s a good idea, I’ll look for one. My current plans for stable are to just apply the same critical wound blood spatter since you are still massively hurt but still alive.

I would love for any artist to supply some icons for this. It’s easy enough to add new sets and switch between them.

In my dev version I have gotten it displaying dying vs dead but it doesn’t update until you pass the turn. I’m still looking into a way to trigger it as soon as the death save is rolled

mattekure
February 25th, 2021, 22:20
v4 uploaded. I added status indicators for Dead (skull), Dying (yellow caution), and Stable (first aid red heart).

Currently the stable and dying states will only update when the turn is passed.

similarly
February 25th, 2021, 22:55
Wow! That's fast work, and really excellent!

Griogre
February 26th, 2021, 00:32
I'm not an artist mattekure, but have you seen this site: https://game-icons.net/

Everything is CC By

mattekure
February 26th, 2021, 01:08
I'm not an artist mattekure, but have you seen this site: https://game-icons.net/

Everything is CC By

I'll take a look, thanks

mattekure
February 26th, 2021, 01:08
v5 uploaded, this is a fix to better monitor for the stable/dying condition, so it will update automatically without having to click end turn.

eporrini
February 26th, 2021, 01:22
@mattekure I am getting the following error on load and when opening the combat tracker. I have not loaded yet in a clean campaign, so it could be a conflict. Just wanted to post and see if it was something obvious.

[2/25/2021 8:16:35 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/Manager_Status_Indicators.lua"]:255: attempt to index local 'nodeField' (a nil value)

This happens when I open the tracker:
[2/25/2021 8:17:58 PM] [WARNING] window: Unable to locate control (wounds) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (hptemp) in windowclass (ct_entry)
[2/25/2021 8:17:58 PM] [WARNING] window: Unable to locate control (wounds) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (hptotal) in windowclass (ct_entry)
[2/25/2021 8:17:58 PM] [WARNING] window: Unable to locate control (wounds) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (hptemp) in windowclass (ct_entry)
[2/25/2021 8:17:58 PM] [WARNING] window: Unable to locate control (wounds) specified in insertbefore attribute for control (hptotal) in windowclass (ct_entry)
[2/25/2021 8:17:58 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/Manager_Status_Indicators.lua"]:255: attempt to index local 'nodeField' (a nil value)

I will try it without extensions.

mattekure
February 26th, 2021, 01:26
@mattekure I am getting the following error on load and when opening the combat tracker. I have not loaded yet in a clean campaign, so it could be a conflict. Just wanted to post and see if it was something obvious.

[2/25/2021 8:16:35 PM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "scripts/Manager_Status_Indicators.lua"]:255: attempt to index local 'nodeField' (a nil value)

What version is it showing in the chat? Please try in a new campaign with no other extensions loaded.

eporrini
February 26th, 2021, 01:47
What version is it showing in the chat? Please try in a new campaign with no other extensions loaded.

It runs on a clean campaign and even seems to run on a clean campaign with my other mods. On current campaign it throws the above mentioned errors. It's possible it's being caused by a setting on a mod that's not modified on the current campaign. Maybe someone else will come across it to provide more data. For now I will need to disable.

mattekure
February 26th, 2021, 01:49
It runs on a clean campaign and even seems to run on a clean campaign with my other mods. On current campaign it throws the above mentioned errors. It's possible it's being caused by a setting on a mod that's not modified on the current campaign. Maybe someone else will come across it to provide more data. For now I will need to disable.

Yeah you’d have to turn off other extensions one by one to see what’s causing the conflict. Once I know that I can take a look at what might be causing it

mattekure
February 26th, 2021, 01:52
Just a thought, but are you running one of the extensions that changes the display from showing wounds to showing current HP? I could definitely see that causing an issue.

ColinBuckler
February 26th, 2021, 20:11
There appears to be an issue with the scaling of the overlay tokens.

With no other extensions loaded, I performed saving throws on a token with a Token Scale = 0.8. This task was performed on battlemap with a grid of 50px and a grid of 100px.

The screenshots are attached.

As you can see the red (X) indicating a failed saving throw is not set to the same scale in both images.

I am not sure, but it could be due to scaling to the token size rather than scaling to the grid size....though I could well be wrong.

ColinBuckler
February 26th, 2021, 20:20
|If a creature is has the "Unconscious" effect (maybe they are a sleep?) and is required to make a DEX or STR saving throw, this is an automatic failure (AUTOFAIL).

When this happens the extension does not put a red (X) on the token.

mattekure
February 26th, 2021, 21:04
There appears to be an issue with the scaling of the overlay tokens.

With no other extensions loaded, I performed saving throws on a token with a Token Scale = 0.8. This task was performed on battlemap with a grid of 50px and a grid of 100px.

The screenshots are attached.

As you can see the red (X) indicating a failed saving throw is not set to the same scale in both images.

I am not sure, but it could be due to scaling to the token size rather than scaling to the grid size....though I could well be wrong.

I can reproduce this, I'll see whats going on a post a fix

mattekure
February 26th, 2021, 21:06
I'll have to look into this one. The reason its not applying the save indicator is because a save is never actually rolled, its an automatic fail handled in a part of the code I dont currently monitor. This extension currently only triggers when an actual save is rolled.

dotsoncs
February 27th, 2021, 17:08
Just a thought, but are you running one of the extensions that changes the display from showing wounds to showing current HP? I could definitely see that causing an issue.

That's exactly what appears to be causing it. My game ran last night and the error popped up. If I disable 5E - Constitutional Amendments (Link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58607-5E-Constitutional-Amendments) - mod that shows 'Current' HP in tracker) then I no longer receive the error. In my testing this only seems to happen after I add a new creature to the Combat Tracker.

Let me know if you'd like any help with testing.

Each time I use the 'Next Actor' button it produces the error:

[2/27/2021 12:07:44 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/Manager_Status_Indicators.lua"]:255: attempt to index local 'nodeField' (a nil value)

eporrini
February 27th, 2021, 17:35
That's exactly what appears to be causing it. My game ran last night and the error popped up. If I disable 5E - Constitutional Amendments (Link (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58607-5E-Constitutional-Amendments) - mod that shows 'Current' HP in tracker) then I no longer receive the error. In my testing this only seems to happen after I add a new creature to the Combat Tracker.

Let me know if you'd like any help with testing.

Each time I use the 'Next Actor' button it produces the error:

[2/27/2021 12:07:44 PM] [ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/Manager_Status_Indicators.lua"]:255: attempt to index local 'nodeField' (a nil value)

I also use constitutional amendments so this checks out. I had a suspicion it was conflicting with this, but when I loaded them both up in a test campaign I didn't get the error. Based on your findings that also makes sense as I did not add another creature to the tracker in my test campaign.

mattekure
February 27th, 2021, 19:04
v6 posted. I changed how token scaling was being done, so it should be more consistent now across any map and between FGC/FGU.

Added in a save handler to pick up when an auto failed save is made. This should work for most, but there is a possibility that if another extension overrides this or also uses the onSave handler, they may conflict.

Should no longer throw errors with Constitutional Amendments extension

ColinBuckler
February 27th, 2021, 22:12
v6 posted. I changed how token scaling was being done, so it should be more consistent now across any map and between FGC/FGU.

Added in a save handler to pick up when an auto failed save is made. This should work for most, but there is a possibility that if another extension overrides this or also uses the onSave handler, they may conflict.

Should no longer throw errors with Constitutional Amendments extension

Yay! :)

mattekure
February 28th, 2021, 01:58
v7 uploaded. fixed the stupid token scaling again.

fixed for FGU (I hope), still weirdness on FGC. working on it.

Demiras
February 28th, 2021, 07:20
Hi Mattekure
I did some quick status images on photoshop and inserted them into the extension for my own use but I thought you and the community might like them.
Enjoy.

eriktedesco
February 28th, 2021, 09:04
Hi Mattekure
I did some quick status images on photoshop and inserted them into the extension for my own use but I thought you and the community might like them.
Enjoy.

really nice, Demiras. Good job!

eriktedesco
February 28th, 2021, 09:06
v7 uploaded. fixed the stupid token scaling again.

fixed for FGU (I hope), still weirdness on FGC. working on it.

still have to try of this new version solved my weird sizing issue, but I'll try it as soon as I can.

Thank you very much for your hard work!!!

Update: the sizing issue is solved (at least for me) and the new graphic really rocks!!! Thank everyone again!

mattekure
February 28th, 2021, 12:46
Hi Mattekure
Enjoy.

Love these. If you give permission I’ll package them into the extension as icon option C

Demiras
February 28th, 2021, 12:57
Sounds great.

mattekure
February 28th, 2021, 13:51
v8 uploaded with Icon set C added. Thanks to Demiras!

similarly
February 28th, 2021, 14:52
I doubt anything can be done about this (except for me to disable an extension here):
I'm running the 5e Status Indicator (currently v7).
and I've got a weird conflict with 5e vision (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59174-5E-Vision-and-Sunlight-Sensitivity). When 5e vision is enabled, I the death and wound indicators show up, but not the save icons. Game still works. Saves happen as normal. I just don't get an icon. When I go to settings and try to turn save icons off, I get this error:

[WARNING] Frame tabs contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.
[ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_image.lua"]:46: stack overflow

However, neither 5e Vision nor 5e status indicators has a file called "manager_image.lua.

The only such file I found is in the Theater of the Mind extension (which now I think of it, I never use anyway). Line 46 starts with local, but the whole thing is:
function getPanelDataValue(wPanel)
if not wPanel then return ""; end
local _, sRecord = wPanel.sub.getValue();
return sRecord;
end

It's weird. I don't know why it's doing that.
UPDATE: Okay ... not theater of the mind. I removed the extension and it's still giving me the same error, so there must be another manager_image.lua somewhere, but I literally unzipped all my extensions and searched, and that was the only one I found. Might end up a choice between this and vision.
EDIT:
Chose to remove 5e Vision. I can live without. Works fine without 5e Vision. Some weird conflict in there somewhere, but couldn't see it.

mattekure
February 28th, 2021, 14:55
I doubt anything can be done about this (except for me to disable an extension here):
I'm running the 5e Status Indicator (currently v7).
and I've got a weird conflict with 5e vision (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59174-5E-Vision-and-Sunlight-Sensitivity). When 5e vision is enabled, I the death and wound indicators show up, but not the save icons. Game still works. Saves happen as normal. I just don't get an icon. When I go to settings and try to turn save icons off, I get this error:

[WARNING] Frame tabs contains out-of-range values in BottomLeft.
[ERROR] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_image.lua"]:46: stack overflow

However, neither 5e Vision nor 5e status indicators has a file called "manager_image.lua.

The only such file I found is in the Theater of the Mind extension (which now I think of it, I never use anyway). Line 46 starts with local, but the whole thing is:
function getPanelDataValue(wPanel)
if not wPanel then return ""; end
local _, sRecord = wPanel.sub.getValue();
return sRecord;
end

It's weird. I don't know why it's doing that.
UPDATE: Okay ... not theater of the mind. I removed the extension and it's still giving me the same error, so there must be another manager_image.lua somewhere, but I literally unzipped all my extensions and searched, and that was the only one I found. Might end up a choice between this and vision.

manager_image.lua is part of the CoreRPG ruleset. I'll have to take a look at that one to see what its doing.

similarly
February 28th, 2021, 15:06
I just edited my post above.
I decided I could live without 5e vision. Once 5e vision was gone, it worked as intended.

It SEEMS that 5e Vision and 5e Status Indicators have a weird effect on the manager_image.lua if used together. I'm all right without the vision extension though. This extension is way more useful to me, even if it's mostly a cosmetic change.

mattekure
February 28th, 2021, 15:19
I just edited my post above.
I decided I could live without 5e vision. Once 5e vision was gone, it worked as intended.

It SEEMS that 5e Vision and 5e Status Indicators have a weird effect on the manager_image.lua if used together. I'm all right without the vision extension though. This extension is way more useful to me, even if it's mostly a cosmetic change.

I took a look and I dont think there is a way to make them compatible. Both extensions rely on getting access to the onSave() and applySave() functions. I try to call back to the original, but that extension just currently overrides it completely. so one or the other wont get executed.

Rino
February 28th, 2021, 20:49
clicking on the scale, I have to click twice on 0.8 to get to the next one. So might be a bug here in the options?

mattekure
February 28th, 2021, 20:55
clicking on the scale, I have to click twice on 0.8 to get to the next one. So might be a bug here in the options?

Yeah, thats not anything I can affect. I get the same thing with other settings.

similarly
February 28th, 2021, 23:00
I took a look and I dont think there is a way to make them compatible. Both extensions rely on getting access to the onSave() and applySave() functions. I try to call back to the original, but that extension just currently overrides it completely. so one or the other wont get executed.

No worries. It happens sometimes. Luckily, this is a pretty easy choice for me, since I love having status indicators, and this status-indicator extension is my favorite so far.

BaneTBC
March 1st, 2021, 16:31
Confirmed, it has stopped the conflict with Constitutional Amendments. Thank you so much for doing this, @mattekure.

mclimbin
March 3rd, 2021, 07:33
I just logged on to see what was happening on the FG forums, and lo and behold! mattekure has solved all my extension problems! Thanks so much for your work with this!

similarly
March 6th, 2021, 13:58
I'm not sure what the conflict was, but tonight I started getting this error:
Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_actor.lua"]:50: stack overflow
It happened mostly when I pressed "next actor" on the combat tracker.
Disabling this extension fixed the error. Not sure why.
I'm going to test further and see if I can see what might be causing the problem.

EDIT:
I turned off all other extensions. Still had error.
NOTE: Using v8.

Turned all other extensions on, turned off 5e Status Indicator, error disappeared. Appears this error is 5eSI on its own.

mattekure
March 6th, 2021, 20:23
I'm going to test further and see if I can see what might be causing the problem.

EDIT:

Turned all other extensions on, turned off 5e Status Indicator, error disappeared. Appears this error is 5eSI on its own.

I'm not seeing this at all. Do you have any unpacked rulesets in your ruleset directory? That particular line of code is in CoreRPG, and its just doing a type() function to see what type an actor is. Its not something I edit at all. Unless some other users can replicate this, I'm inclined to believe that you have a corrupted ruleset file or campaign.

Please try on a totally clean campaign.

Kelrugem
March 6th, 2021, 21:22

EDIT:

By any chance: Do you have somewhere an effect using descriptors like healthy, wounded, and bloodied? (I have some assumption coming from 3.5e/PF1, but I am not sure whether this applies to the 5e ruleset)

Kelrugem
March 6th, 2021, 21:52
Mattekure, I think I know what happens: in your function calcHealthStatus you check for a Stable effect. I am not sure about the new way of the Health stuff in the code (I still need to look at the new code after the recent big patch), but the problem may be that the healthy, bloodied and wounded effects also call the health manager things (especially with IF); so, when effects are called and there is such an effect, then it activates health code and may see your stable effect check (in case someone is dieing, too, so a rare edge case). But that activates again the effect code, which will then again look at the health stuff because of such IF effects... Loop created! :D

I also had a stack overflow for my overlay stuff in 3.5e/PF1 and that was precisely the reason. However, I am not sure whether this applies to your case, I just quickly skimmed your code :)

mattekure
March 6th, 2021, 22:02
Mattekure, I think I know what happens: in your function calcHealthStatus you check for a Stable effect. I am not sure about the new way of the Health stuff in the code (I still need to look at the new code after the recent big patch), but the problem may be that the healthy, bloodied and wounded effects also call the health manager things (especially with IF); so, when effects are called and there is such an effect, then it activates health code and may see your stable effect check (in case someone is dieing, too, so a rare edge case). But that activates again the effect code, which will then again look at the health stuff because of such IF effects... Loop created! :D

I also had a stack overflow for my overlay stuff in 3.5e/PF1 and that was precisely the reason. However, I am not sure whether this applies to your case, I just quickly skimmed your code :)

Thats interesting. @similarly Could you try this dev version and see if it resolves the issue.

similarly
March 7th, 2021, 01:19
I'm not seeing this at all. Do you have any unpacked rulesets in your ruleset directory? That particular line of code is in CoreRPG, and its just doing a type() function to see what type an actor is. Its not something I edit at all. Unless some other users can replicate this, I'm inclined to believe that you have a corrupted ruleset file or campaign.

Please try on a totally clean campaign.

You're right. It's just that ONE campaign. I tried the dev version in a completely clean campaign. No problems. Tried the regular version in my test campaign (where I try things out), with all extensions and modules running: no problems. I had previously tried my main game campaign with all extensions turned off, and only status indicators on, but it still gave an error. If I have a corrupted ruleset file or campaign file, is there a way to fix that?

Kelrugem
March 7th, 2021, 01:22
You're right. It's just that ONE campaign. I tried the dev version in a completely clean campaign. No problems. Tried the regular version in my test campaign (where I try things out), with all extensions and modules running: no problems. I had previously tried my main game campaign with all extensions turned off, and only status indicators on, but it still gave an error. If I have a corrupted ruleset file or campaign file, is there a way to fix that?

Did you also try the dev version in the campaign you get the error? :) That is the important piece Mattekure needs to know :) (if it works with the new version in the problematic campaign, then you do not need to clean anything; maybe my assumption about the error is correct, which would also mean that it is something in the code)

mattekure
March 7th, 2021, 01:26

corrupted ruleset file is easy to fix. just go into your FG Data/rulesets folder, and delete/move the contents elsewhere. Then run the FG updater, that will redownload all of the ruleset files fresh. If its the campaign thats corrupted, you might be able to recover by looking in the campaigns folder, make a backup copy of the db.xml and store it in another folder, just to be sure. then rename one of the recent db.session.xxx.xml files to db.xml. then restart the campaign in FG. that will cause FG to use the older session file. If you made changes to the campaign since the session that you are restoring, you could lose data (which is why you keep the original db.xml backup).

Kelrugem
March 7th, 2021, 01:34
By the way, I just tested now with the non-dev version: I gave a PC an effect IF: bloodied; ATK: 100 and then I killed them with one blow; I immediately got the stack overflow error :) So, I may have been right with my assumption (but I hope that these steps help you to reproduce it). So, such an effect on someone dieing is what reproduces it :) The next round button reproduces it then, too (keeping that poor PC that in that process! :D)

mattekure
March 7th, 2021, 02:21
By the way, I just tested now with the non-dev version: I gave a PC an effect IF: bloodied; ATK: 100 and then I killed them with one blow; I immediately got the stack overflow error :) So, I may have been right with my assumption (but I hope that these steps help you to reproduce it). So, such an effect on someone dieing is what reproduces it :) The next round button reproduces it then, too (keeping that poor PC that in that process! :D)

thanks, I'll dig into it and see what I can do with it.

similarly
March 7th, 2021, 03:01
I used the dev version with my campaign, same error. The problem is the campaign. I did try using a backup, renaming a session to the db.xml. Same error.
EDIT:
Copied data from clean campaign, added back the images, and one by one added files from my back up. Seems to be all working now. As near as I can figure, the db.xml was messed up somehow.
EDIT:
Nope. Missed a step. At this about 3 hours now and still haven't quite nailed it down, but it does SEEM to be the db.xml. Working on it.
EDIT:
Tried copying the Data from my campaign db.xml into a copy of the db.xml from the test campaign that's NOT giving the error, and I still getting the error. So it's not the file itself but a code in the file somewhere.

I'm just not knowledgeable enough to dig through 188,000 lines of db.xml to look for the problem. I'm just going to have to let this one go and remove the ext.

mattekure
March 7th, 2021, 04:12
I used the dev version with my campaign, same error. The problem is the campaign. I did try using a backup, renaming a session to the db.xml. Same error.
EDIT:
Copied data from clean campaign, added back the images, and one by one added files from my back up. Seems to be all working now. As near as I can figure, the db.xml was messed up somehow.
EDIT:
Nope. Missed a step. At this about 3 hours now and still haven't quite nailed it down, but it does SEEM to be the db.xml. Working on it.
EDIT:
Tried copying the Data from my campaign db.xml into a copy of the db.xml from the test campaign that's NOT giving the error, and I still getting the error. So it's not the file itself but a code in the file somewhere.

I'm just not knowledgeable enough to dig through 188,000 lines of db.xml to look for the problem. I'm just going to have to let this one go and remove the ext.

I'll post here if I can reproduce it. Once I can reproduce it I should be able to figure out whats happening and fix it.

similarly
March 7th, 2021, 04:20
I appreciate it, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sounds like it's just something wrong with my file, and not anything actually wrong with your extension. It would be nice to use this extension, but I can live without it. I wouldn't want you to spend a lot of time on it. But thanks! I appreciate it.

Kelrugem
March 7th, 2021, 11:45
I appreciate it, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sounds like it's just something wrong with my file, and not anything actually wrong with your extension. It would be nice to use this extension, but I can live without it. I wouldn't want you to spend a lot of time on it. But thanks! I appreciate it.

Can you send a screenshot of your CT in that problematic campaign? (You may have overlooked my question above about your effect stuff :) )

similarly
March 7th, 2021, 14:42
This is the combat tracker in the affected campaign
I tried deleting the dead character from the combat tracker, but still getting the error.

Kelrugem
March 7th, 2021, 14:58
This is the combat tracker in the affected campaign
I tried deleting the dead character from the combat tracker, but still getting the error.

Hm, okay, your case is maybe then about something else which may or may not be similar to my reproduced error with these wounded effects.

Mattekure: I was able to reproduce it with Similarly's situation. The last character in the screenshot is the problematic one. I added all those effects to a dead PC and then tried to change the settings about the "Save Indicators" (I first switched to a scale of 1x but I think this doesn't matter). Then I got the stack overflow. It may or may not be similar to the bug with the wounded stuff, but I do not know your code :) So, maybe turn of all your checks for certain effects like stable and maybe that stops it. If yes, then the effect manager calls your code somewhen where an effect is called such that loops are created; as for the wounded effects :) But that is just guessing now

EDIT: oki, I did not even need those effects or a dead character. Every time when I switch to "Off" in the settings for "Save Indicators" I get a stack overflow. Not sure whether this is Similarly's problem or not, but there are at least those stack overflows :)

mattekure
March 9th, 2021, 01:00
Hm, okay, your case is maybe then about something else which may or may not be similar to my reproduced error with these wounded effects.

Mattekure: I was able to reproduce it with Similarly's situation. The last character in the screenshot is the problematic one. I added all those effects to a dead PC and then tried to change the settings about the "Save Indicators" (I first switched to a scale of 1x but I think this doesn't matter). Then I got the stack overflow. It may or may not be similar to the bug with the wounded stuff, but I do not know your code :) So, maybe turn of all your checks for certain effects like stable and maybe that stops it. If yes, then the effect manager calls your code somewhen where an effect is called such that loops are created; as for the wounded effects :) But that is just guessing now

EDIT: oki, I did not even need those effects or a dead character. Every time when I switch to "Off" in the settings for "Save Indicators" I get a stack overflow. Not sure whether this is Similarly's problem or not, but there are at least those stack overflows :)

Thanks. I can replicate this. I'll get working on a fix soon.

mattekure
March 10th, 2021, 23:46
v9 uploaded. Fixed an annoying recursive bug.

@similarly @Kelrugem Please take a moment to check this version. I found a spot of circular logic causing the crash. function A would call function B which would call function C which would call function A. and enter a loop.

Kelrugem
March 11th, 2021, 00:19
v9 uploaded. Fixed an annoying recursive bug.

@similarly @Kelrugem Please take a moment to check this version. I found a spot of circular logic causing the crash. function A would call function B which would call function C which would call function A. and enter a loop.

Oki, I'll do when I got time :) Thanks :)

mattekure
March 11th, 2021, 01:38
v10 posted. This fixed an odd bug where images would open unexpectedly.

similarly
March 11th, 2021, 01:50
Wow, thank you! I'll definitely check it out!

similarly
March 11th, 2021, 13:15
I just tested this and it works 100% with no errors! Thank you! You're awesome! I'm really glad because this was my favorite status indicator extension.

Kelrugem
March 11th, 2021, 21:48
I just tested: I still get the stack overflow with the bloodied effect and when I toggle the settings of the save indicators to off :) Not sure if I got the new version? The chat message says version 8 :)

mattekure
March 11th, 2021, 21:49
I just tested: I still get the stack overflow with the bloodied effect and when I toggle the settings of the save indicators to off :) Not sure if I got the new version? The chat message says version 8 :)

8 is the old broken one. the first post should have v10 now.

Kelrugem
March 11th, 2021, 21:52
8 is the old broken one. the first post should have v10 now.

Strange, I just downloaded it again from the first post :D (I also checked whether I accidentally put it into FGC's folder while I test in FGU)

mattekure
March 11th, 2021, 21:53
Strange, I just downloaded it again from the first post :D (I also checked whether I accidentally put it into FGC's folder while I test in FGU)

no extracted version or other copy with different filename in the extensions folder?

Kelrugem
March 11th, 2021, 22:00
no extracted version or other copy with different filename in the extensions folder?

Hah! Yes, that was it :D I normally have modding stuff in a separate folder to avoid that, but when I looked into your extension because of this bloodied/stable thing, I was lazy and didn't move it somewhere else when I opened it :D Now I payed the prize for being lazy :D

So, toggling the option does now not cause any stack overflow anymore :)

But when I add an effect like IF: bloodied; ATK: 2, then I get a stack overflow if clicking next round :) (sometimes you may need to click a second time, depending on whether it was the active actor)

mattekure
March 11th, 2021, 22:16
Got it. I am seeing this. I'll take a look at this case, but its probably the same kind of thing

Kelrugem
March 11th, 2021, 22:19
Got it. I am seeing this. I'll take a look at this case, but its probably the same kind of thing

Thank you :)

mattekure
March 12th, 2021, 00:00
Ok, before I totally pull my 2 remaining hairs out at this. I just tried turning off my extension entirely. Clean campaign with no extensions and got the same error.

Kelrugem
March 12th, 2021, 00:10
Ok, before I totally pull my 2 remaining hairs out at this. I just tried turning off my extension entirely. Clean campaign with no extensions and got the same error.

Oh, wow, you're right! Oh, very sorry then, I didn't dare to think it is in the base programme because I thought that may be already reported then (and I didn't see a report). May have been a problem since one of the last patches maybe :)

mattekure
March 12th, 2021, 00:16
Oh, wow, you're right! Oh, very sorry then, I didn't dare to think it is in the base programme because I thought that may be already reported then (and I didn't see a report). May have been a problem since one of the last patches maybe :)

no worries. I posted it over in house of healing so it has visibility with logs and an example campaign.

Kelrugem
March 12th, 2021, 00:18
no worries. I posted it over in house of healing so it has visibility with logs and an example campaign.

Hehe, I posted, too, at the same time :D

*Neuro*
March 16th, 2021, 09:34
is this extension currently working on FGU or is giving issues? last time I played our GM had issues with it and had to deactivate.

What about FGC is it working with it?

Knaarke
March 16th, 2021, 11:16
is this extension currently working on FGU or is giving issues? last time I played our GM had issues with it and had to deactivate.

I used the extension on my FGU game on Sunday and there were no concerns.

mattekure
March 16th, 2021, 11:57

this currently works as far as I am aware on both FGU and FGC. I am in the middle of a rewrite to clean up code and add new features, but it should work as is now

EllivasKram
April 13th, 2021, 07:30
So the version in DMSguild is going to be maintained and is a rewrite ?

Is this version going to be maintained ?

mattekure
April 13th, 2021, 13:05
The current version of this extension is the final one I will be posting. I will leave this free version posted here but will no longer be providing support for it. Instead, I have completely recreated the functionality in a new extension I am offering for sale on DMsGuild. it offers fewer bugs, a completely rewritten codebase, and new features including initiative and targeting indicators.

DMsGuild Link: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/353690/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Indicators?affiliate_id=712946

Support Thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?67756-5e-Indicators&p=593777#post593777

matjam
April 29th, 2021, 04:07

Nice :D

Minethulhu
July 9th, 2021, 22:55

This is becoming one of my "must have" extensions. The addition of the initiative indicator, continued support and being able to pay the developer a reasonable price has sold me on the paid version (plus it is several magnitudes easier to find when a DMs Guild extension has updated vs. those on a Fantasy Grounds forum post).

Thanks!

MrDDT
July 9th, 2021, 23:43
This is becoming one of my "must have" extensions. The addition of the initiative indicator, continued support and being able to pay the developer a reasonable price has sold me on the paid version (plus it is several magnitudes easier to find when a DMs Guild extension has updated vs. those on a Fantasy Grounds forum post).

Thanks!

Welcome to the club. I've been this way for a while now. So can't wait for Smite Work's Forge.