PDA

View Full Version : 5E Save Overlay

daddyogreman
February 24th, 2021, 21:47
Small extension applies an overlay based on results of saving throw.
Takes into account Avoidance and Evasion.

Head on over to the project page (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay) for details or download the latest here (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay/-/jobs/artifacts/latest/file/5E-Save-Overlay.ext?job=build-extension).

eporrini
February 24th, 2021, 22:17
@daddydoggerman, I've got your latest work up and running. Can you tell me how to clear the overlay?

daddyogreman
February 24th, 2021, 22:24
@daddydoggerman, I've got your latest work up and running. Can you tell me how to clear the overlay?

Do you not see a Clear Save Overlay button on the toolbar?

federicacauzer
February 24th, 2021, 22:24

same here! How do I clear the save overlay from turn to turn?

nephranka
February 24th, 2021, 22:30
I think it is under the wound clear button? Also, I think auto fail saves do not get an x?

eporrini
February 24th, 2021, 22:32
Do you not see a Clear Save Overlay button on the toolbar?

I'm not sure what toolbar you are referring to. I do not see a button, I may be overlooking it.

eporrini
February 24th, 2021, 22:34
I think it is under the wound clear button? Also, I think auto fail saves do not get an x?

I don't see any buttons, including a clear wound button. By toolbar do you mean the icons that are set up on the right side of the screen? I am using Better Menus so I don't have icons, I have a pull down menu.

nephranka
February 24th, 2021, 23:19
These would be down by the unlock on the map next to the close button on the right.

daddyogreman
February 24th, 2021, 23:30
Are you guys running Classic? This extension is only for Unity.

Do you not see the button just to the left of Zoom To Fit?

daddyogreman
February 24th, 2021, 23:33
I've got an enhancement issue (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay/-/issues/1) to clear the saves on combat turn change, but at the moment the button is the only way to clear the saves.

Ludd_G
February 24th, 2021, 23:36
Hi daddydoggerman,

love your implementation of the Save Overlay, it's the best yet I reckon! Unfortunately I think I've found a bug:

with just the Save Overlay active the saves on the Party Sheet don't work. They don't roll against the DC, just roll and display the number in Chatbox with no reference to success or failure. Also throws an number of errors equal to the number of characters on the Party Sheet. The error is:

"Handler error: [string "scripts/save_overlay_manager.lua"]:14: attempt to index field 'sSaveDesc' (a nil value)"

Hope this helps and thanks for your work.

Cheers,

Simon

daddyogreman
February 24th, 2021, 23:39
Hi daddydoggerman,

love your implementation of the Save Overlay, it's the best yet I reckon! Unfortunately I think I've found a bug:

with just the Save Overlay active the saves on the Party Sheet don't work. They don't roll against the DC, just roll and display the number in Chatbox with no reference to success or failure. Also throws an number of errors equal to the number of characters on the Party Sheet. The error is:

"Handler error: [string "scripts/save_overlay_manager.lua"]:14: attempt to index field 'sSaveDesc' (a nil value)"

Hope this helps and thanks for your work.

Cheers,

Simon

Nice catch. Honestly didn't even think about saves from the party sheet, but I see the problem already.

Ludd_G
February 24th, 2021, 23:39
Whilst I love the clear on combat turn change, please keep the button as well, my players really like to get rid asap, while I sometimes need a bit more time to check what the implication of the success/failure is, so the button gives us that little bit more control individually over the aesthetics of the game. Having the button is definitely a plus for your extension at our table! :D

Ludd_G
February 24th, 2021, 23:42
I also wonder if the toolbar on the map, where your buttons live, is defaulting to closed for some people, which, if you don't know it's there, would hide a lot of useful stuff!

daddyogreman
February 24th, 2021, 23:42
Whilst I love the clear on combat turn change, please keep the button as well, my players really like to get rid asap, while I sometimes need a bit more time to check what the implication of the success/failure is, so the button gives us that little bit more control individually over the aesthetics of the game. Having the button is definitely a plus for your extension at our table! :D

Well that'd be an enhancement issue unto itself - as of the moment only the GM can see the overlays to begin with. That's the kinda GM I am. ;)

Ludd_G
February 24th, 2021, 23:44
Ah, I didn't realise that (not had a local host player up yet!). I'd definitely vote for a 'show player' option, not having it is one of the reasons I stopped using Mattjams extension. I think I may be a too generous DM with my players! Haha! :D

daddyogreman
February 24th, 2021, 23:56
Release 1.0.1 (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay/-/releases/v1.0.1) fixes the party sheet issue. Download specific release version here (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-Save-Overlay/-/jobs/artifacts/v1.0.1/file/5E-Save-Overlay.ext?job=build-extension). Or download latest here (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay/-/jobs/artifacts/latest/file/5E-Save-Overlay.ext?job=build-extension).

daddyogreman
February 24th, 2021, 23:59
Ah, I didn't realise that (not had a local host player up yet!). I'd definitely vote for a 'show player' option, not having it is one of the reasons I stopped using Mattjams extension. I think I may be a too generous DM with my players! Haha! :D

Enhancement issue (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay/-/issues/2) filed. We'll see when I might get to it. This one shouldn't be hard, I've already got the OOB logic to clear the saves. Would just need to blast out an OOB message to add the saves as well. I do kinda like the idea of putting a toggle in the Menu Options as to whether the players can see the saves.

Ludd_G
February 25th, 2021, 00:01
That's working great now, thanks!

ColinBuckler
February 25th, 2021, 00:07
Fantastic - just what I need for my 5E games.

Would have liked a command line option to clear the saves so I can function key it. So I added:

Comm.registerSlashHandler("clearsaves", handleMessageDeleteAllSaveOverlays, "Clear Saves")

This went in the scripts/save_overlay_manager.lua file at line 8. See below:

function onInit()
UDG5ESaveOverlayHelper.verbose({"save_overlay_manager.lua:: onInit()"});

originalApplySave = ActionSave.applySave
ActionSave.applySave = applySave

Comm.registerSlashHandler("clearsaves", handleMessageDeleteAllSaveOverlays, "Clear Saves")

OOBManager.registerOOBMsgHandler(OOB_MSGTYPE_DELET E_ALL_SAVE_OVERLAYS, handleMessageDeleteAllSaveOverlays);
end

daddyogreman
February 25th, 2021, 00:12
Fantastic - just what I need for my 5E games.

Would have liked a command line option to clear the saves so I can function key it. So I added:

This went in the scripts/save_overlay_manager.lua file at line 8. See below:

function onInit()
UDG5ESaveOverlayHelper.verbose({"save_overlay_manager.lua:: onInit()"});

OOBManager.registerOOBMsgHandler(OOB_MSGTYPE_DELET E_ALL_SAVE_OVERLAYS, handleMessageDeleteAllSaveOverlays);
end

Cheers!
Just keep in mind without any logic concerning the host or not, anyone can slap that command in the chat window and clear the saves. I've been back and forth about whether I want to add a slash command to both this and the wound overlay extension.

SmackDaddy
February 25th, 2021, 00:18
Cheers!
Just keep in mind without any logic concerning the host or not, anyone can slap that command in the chat window and clear the saves. I've been back and forth about whether I want to add a slash command to both this and the wound overlay extension.

A slash command would be awesome, but which chat message would clear? "clearsaves" or "Clear Saves"? Thank you.

daddyogreman
February 25th, 2021, 00:23
A slash command would be awesome, but which chat message would clear? "clearsaves" or "Clear Saves"? Thank you.

In ColinBuckler's example, typing /clearsaves in the chat window will yield the same result as hitting the button.

ColinBuckler
February 25th, 2021, 00:25
Yup - its late here in the UK.....

if User.isHost() then
end

Wrapped it for Host only, which gives:

function onInit()
UDG5ESaveOverlayHelper.verbose({"save_overlay_manager.lua::onInit()"});

if User.isHost() then
end

end

SmackDaddy
February 25th, 2021, 00:29
In ColinBuckler's example, typing /clearsaves in the chat window will yield the same result as hitting the button.

Ah, ok, misunderstood - I would have to code that in myself to your extension if I wanted that.....I apologize for my confusion.

daddyogreman
February 25th, 2021, 00:40
Ah, ok, misunderstood - I would have to code that in myself to your extension if I wanted that.....I apologize for my confusion.

Yup, ColinBuckler seems fond of tweaking my extensions ever so slightly. ;)

Though I think I convinced myself to add this for the Wound Overlay extension and this one. Just a bit of logic to work out with this one, as it's already been requested I make a toggle as to whether or not players can see the save overlays.
If so, the chat command and button for players would clear it for those players, but not sure what I'd do for the GM - clear it for everyone? Add a second command/button for the GM to clear it for everyone? Got some things to think through.

In the mean time, I just slapped ColinBuckler's code into a branch and you can download it with his change here (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay/-/jobs/artifacts/clear-save-slash-command/file/5E-Save-Overlay.ext?job=build-extension) until I revisit this officially.

Ludd_G
February 25th, 2021, 00:43
Personally, if it was an either/or rather than an option, I'd vote for the GM to only clear their own, and for the Player to utilise their own button or chat command for their end. And then if there was an automatic 'clear on moving to next combat tracker entry' option we'd be really 'belt and braces'! :D

eporrini
February 25th, 2021, 00:49
@daddyogreman, I found my issue. I had Celestian’s Situational Awareness extension loaded and it has a couple of buttons on it that override yours. When I disabled it I can see your buttons (sort of). In my game, your “clear wounds” button is almost exactly on top of the “clear saves” button with just a sliver of exposure on the left. Not sure best how to handle button positioning.

I love having a command line save clear, so great addition there. I am also whole heartedly on board for players seeing the save overlay. A toggle would be perfect for those DMs that only want to see it themselves. Your recent extensions have been a godsend, I’m using all three and happy to have them. Many thanks!

ColinBuckler
February 25th, 2021, 00:51
I have only just started looking at coding myself with FG and it has made me appreciate the amount of effort all extension writers put into their creations. There is a step learning curve to understand hooking into the existing routines as well as what routine does what as the code is not that well documented.

There are a number of mods that offer similar functionality with regards saves and death visuals on tokens - it is obviously a very popular configuration request by the user base.

With daddyogreman's 3 recent mods I have moved away from some of the older extensions that offer similar functionality which are in various states of flux - some of which are broken.

So many thanks for providing these extensions..

Ludd_G
February 25th, 2021, 00:53
Now if we can just persuade you to have a look at the sadly languishing Roll For Initiative Addon... (hey, I can dream can't I?!?? :D )

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill

daddyogreman
February 25th, 2021, 04:41
I have only just started looking at coding myself with FG and it has made me appreciate the amount of effort all extension writers put into their creations. There is a step learning curve to understand hooking into the existing routines as well as what routine does what as the code is not that well documented.

There are a number of mods that offer similar functionality with regards saves and death visuals on tokens - it is obviously a very popular configuration request by the user base.

With daddyogreman's 3 recent mods I have moved away from some of the older extensions that offer similar functionality which are in various states of flux - some of which are broken.

So many thanks for providing these extensions..

Think I first cracked open an extension about two weeks ago so I'm a total noob myself!
Yup, the learning curve is steep but I was driven by some extensions I used that fell out of maintenance and wanted to make some small, do only one thing thing extensions to replace some functionality I sorely missed and do it in a way anyone could contribute.

daddyogreman
February 25th, 2021, 04:44
@daddyogreman, I found my issue. I had Celestian’s Situational Awareness extension loaded and it has a couple of buttons on it that override yours. When I disabled it I can see your buttons (sort of). In my game, your “clear wounds” button is almost exactly on top of the “clear saves” button with just a sliver of exposure on the left. Not sure best how to handle button positioning.

I love having a command line save clear, so great addition there. I am also whole heartedly on board for players seeing the save overlay. A toggle would be perfect for those DMs that only want to see it themselves. Your recent extensions have been a godsend, I’m using all three and happy to have them. Many thanks!

I fixed the nearly overlapping buttons. Have a download of the latest version of this extension and the wound overlays extension and you should see much better separating of the buttons

daddyogreman
February 25th, 2021, 17:21

I just had a look at that extension and it rewrites the entire imagewindow_toolbar windowclass as opposed to doing a merge. That extension isn't going to play nice with any other extension that adds buttons to the image toolbar.

daddyogreman
March 3rd, 2021, 18:29
Release 1.1.0 (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay/-/releases/v1.1.0) is out. Download this specific version here (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-Save-Overlay/-/jobs/artifacts/v1.1.0/file/5E-Save-Overlay.ext?job=build-extension). Or download the latest here (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-Save-Overlay/-/jobs/artifacts/latest/file/5E-Save-Overlay.ext?job=build-extension).
Per the CHANGELOG (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay/-/blob/v1.1.0/CHANGELOG.md):
Added
Extension announcement text
Added /clearSaveOverlays command to clear save overlays for everyone
Menu option to clear save overlays automatically on combat turn end
Menu option as to whether or not save overlays are visible to everyone or GM only

Changed
Replaced User.isHost() with Session.IsHost

nephranka
April 20th, 2021, 13:27
I have been looking at different ext to handle saves and I like this one but the graphic is very opaque and you lose sight of the token. Any way to make it more transparent so it merges more with the token? I would like to see the result and still see some of the token.

Also, do you display a different graphic for saves that still give half damage. The player did not fully pass so, a green check mark is a little of the mark.

Great work with the extension! I have been slowly moving to replace many of my old ext with your work, It is top notch!

Thanks!

nephranka
October 13th, 2021, 01:31
I was wondering if you are planning to move this one to the Forge as well?

daddyogreman
October 15th, 2021, 20:27
I was wondering if you are planning to move this one to the Forge as well?

Up on the forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/300/view) now.

nephranka
October 15th, 2021, 21:07
Up on the forge (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/300/view) now.

Cool!

daddyogreman
October 15th, 2021, 22:15
I have been looking at different ext to handle saves and I like this one but the graphic is very opaque and you lose sight of the token. Any way to make it more transparent so it merges more with the token? I would like to see the result and still see some of the token.

Also, do you display a different graphic for saves that still give half damage. The player did not fully pass so, a green check mark is a little of the mark.

Thanks!

Could give the icons a quick GIMP over to make them less opaque easily enough. I'll get to it at some point.

As far as the half damage - doesn't it display a yellow check mark for a partial success?
I haven't even looked at this extension in awhile.

nephranka
October 16th, 2021, 03:24
Could give the icons a quick GIMP over to make them less opaque easily enough. I'll get to it at some point.

As far as the half damage - doesn't it display a yellow check mark for a partial success?
I haven't even looked at this extension in awhile.

I assume spells that have half damage if successfully saved would generate the partial overlay but that is not happening. They just get the green success overlay.

Edit: Here is an example of something less opaque. Thicker lines and a better check and it would fit good over the token.

Zionmatrix
February 20th, 2023, 23:55
Any change this would work in starfinder?
I really love the ext. Either work great work!

thedruski
March 7th, 2024, 18:58
Just wanted to inform you that as of FG update v.4.5 the Save Overlay extension is no longer working correctly.

daddyogreman
March 7th, 2024, 20:19
Just wanted to inform you that as of FG update v.4.5 the Save Overlay extension is no longer working correctly.

Thanks for the heads up. However, I don't use Fantasy Grounds anymore. Folks are always welcome to clone my repo and go to town, or even fix things and submit a PR and I'll merge it back it into my extension and give credit for the contribution.
https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/5e-save-overlay