PDA

View Full Version : Manual Dice Entry with Table Roll

mdemm
February 23rd, 2021, 23:24
One of my players wants to incorporate a crafting system into our 5e game. I found one on Patreon, and the player has done a lot of work trying to bring it into FG Classic, creating a mod for me with the new items and tables for foraging for ingredients.

The problem is, the results of foraging depend on a player's roll, sometimes 1d20 at DISADV or up to 1d20+prof depending on circumstance. I want to be able to tell the table what the result is, so it can roll up the random ingredients into a nice parcel for me. I've tried using manual dice entry for this, but it does not intercept the initial table roll, just the first roll on the subtable.

Any thoughts out there from the experts? Is there a better way to handle this that doesn't require more bookkeeping on my part?

Thanks!

LordEntrails
February 23rd, 2021, 23:39
Have you tried using the modifier box and the DISADV button before rolling?

mdemm
February 24th, 2021, 00:32
Have you tried using the modifier box and the DISADV button before rolling?

I did try your suggestion, but it did not effect the table result.

LordEntrails
February 24th, 2021, 02:11
I did try your suggestion, but it did not effect the table result.
ok, thanks for the feedback.

Zacchaeus
February 24th, 2021, 10:40
Adding a modifier to the modifier box certainly does add into the table roll as you can see from the attached. I added a 1 to the modifier and as you can see the result was a d4+1. For the advantage you could roll twice on the table and take the best result; there isn't a way to roll on a table with advantage. You may also find using a Story template might do the job for you. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37400-Video-on-Story-Templates

Nylanfs
February 24th, 2021, 12:08
There's no real way to identify what are the good or better options on a table. :)

mdemm
February 24th, 2021, 13:39
Adding a modifier to the modifier box certainly does add into the table roll as you can see from the attached. I added a 1 to the modifier and as you can see the result was a d4+1. For the advantage you could roll twice on the table and take the best result; there isn't a way to roll on a table with advantage. You may also find using a Story template might do the job for you. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37400-Video-on-Story-Templates

My bad, I missed that the modifier was added to the table roll. ADV/DISADV did not affect it.

It looks like as long as there is a custom roll in the table field, Manual Dice Entry will intercept the roll. I did not have that in place before, MDE was only catching the subtable roll for some reason (see attached)

44227 44228

Maybe I can convince the player to try to build it as a story or story template going forward, it'll help with organization at least.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!