PDA

View Full Version : Interface changes and gaining knowledge

Garsun
February 22nd, 2021, 00:33
Detail question:
The "Data Module Activation" screen has been changed to only contain 10 modules per page.
Is there a way to increase this number?

Broad question:
Is there a location that describes all current functioning commands and shortcuts? Maybe the list of tips that come up when loading...

I have been using FGU since its release in early 2020, so I'm not a newbie, but I have been having issues keeping up with the rapid pace of change in the program (this is a good thing, not a complaint). I keep my eyes on both of form and blogs but have not seen a consolidated location where FGUs functionality has been kept updated.
Please let me know if there is such a place?

Lastly, if this is the wrong place to post this question please let me know the correct location?

PS: my congratulations to the FGU team for the truly herculean effort and a fantastic program:-)

LordEntrails
February 22nd, 2021, 01:58
Detail question:
The "Data Module Activation" screen has been changed to only contain 10 modules per page.
Is there a way to increase this number?
No. But the devs are aware this is an issue and have it on their list to re-address how to best solve the issue. But, it changed because it was a serious performance issue the way it was.

Broad question:
Is there a location that describes all current functioning commands and shortcuts? Maybe the list of tips that come up when loading...
Other than the wiki or user manual? Nope. There is a post here titles something like "Advanced Tips & Tricks" that has some additional info in it.

I have been using FGU since its release in early 2020, so I'm not a newbie, but I have been having issues keeping up with the rapid pace of change in the program (this is a good thing, not a complaint). I keep my eyes on both of form and blogs but have not seen a consolidated location where FGUs functionality has been kept updated.
Please let me know if there is such a place?
Nope, as you said, things are rapidly changing. It's hard to justify putting in time documenting things that are undergoing such rapid change.

Lastly, if this is the wrong place to post this question please let me know the correct location?

PS: my congratulations to the FGU team for the truly herculean effort and a fantastic program:-)
This is the right place for such questions :)

WindrunnerCGG
February 22nd, 2021, 02:06
I believe the wiki (as opposed to the forums or blogs) is the best place for definitive lists like this. Here is a link to wiki pages that may include what you’re looking for:
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/688298/Interacting+with+Tabletop
It includes:
Chat usage, Map usage, Formatted text usage, etc.

Weissrolf
February 22nd, 2021, 11:42
...and was last updated 2019.

Kelrugem
February 22nd, 2021, 11:56
...and was last updated 2019.

That is not true, that is the page linked, but each page has a separate last edit date

Weissrolf
February 22nd, 2021, 12:00
But the page linked states: Outdated Page - Please use the new Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal

And LordEntrails wrote that currently the forum is the right place to look at.

Kelrugem
February 22nd, 2021, 12:00
Moreover, the page Windrunner has linked is outdated (click for example there on basic guides, then you get even a warning). The new wiki can be reached by clicking the help button above, or directly here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996639165/Fantasy+Grounds+Unity+User+Manual (or use the buttons in the FGU launcher)

For example here is some more recent updated page about the new sidebar: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1242857473/The+Sidebar+Changing+Play+Modes

Date: 18 February 2021

Kelrugem
February 22nd, 2021, 12:01
But the page linked states: Outdated Page - Please use the new Fantasy Grounds Customer Portal

Yup, which is why I searched the correct link to the wiki :) See my last post

LordEntrails
February 22nd, 2021, 15:29
And LordEntrails wrote that currently the forum is the right place to look at.
That not what I intended or thought I said. I said the Wiki and the User manual was the place to look for such information (and the link Kel gave is the right link) and that the forums are the right place to ask the question where you can find the info (not where the info actually is).

Garsun
February 24th, 2021, 01:28
This discussion has highlighted some of my misconceptions and clarified and resolved some of my documentation confusion. As well as responded to the initial question.
Thank you all for your responses:)