PDA

View Full Version : CoreRPG Combat Enhancer

daddyogreman
February 21st, 2021, 06:21
Already posted this, but I think I put it in the wrong spot. So here it is.

Features:
GM: Hovering over token in combat tracker will highlight the matching token on the map
Players: Double clicking on token of owned PC in the combat tracker will open the map the token is on, if any
All: Hovering over token on the map will highlight the associated entry in the combat tracker
All: Wound overlays for tokens based upon their health status

Head over to the project page (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/CoreRPG-Combat-Enhancer) for details and download link.

Ludd_G
February 21st, 2021, 11:19
Love that I can again have this functionality in a maintained extension. Thank you!

A couple of little requests: firstly would it be possible to offer a choice in intensity for the CT highlighting when hovering over map tokens (a great addition for busy combats!). At the moment I find it just a little 'too much' in vibrancy/colour.

Secondly, do you think you could, either within this extension or via separate one, look to reimagine status indicators for success/fail saving throws, that show for both the DM and the players?

Thank you for all your work, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon

eriktedesco
February 21st, 2021, 12:34
Up for it, man!!

Thank you very much for you work!!!

As for Ludd_G, I'd like to have implemented Matjam Status Indicator functionality (below a link to the extension).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59594-5E-Matjam-s-Status-Indicators

If possible, it would be nice to have them implemented in your extension.

The best thing would be to ask directly to Matjam, but he is nowhere to be seen.

Btw...good job and thanks again!!

Ludd_G
February 21st, 2021, 12:36
Yeah, unfortunately Matjam hasn't been around for a while, and his extension has been losing functionality for a while as FG updates.

Egheal
February 21st, 2021, 15:53
Indeed, I love the way saving throws where displayed in Styrmir's 5e enhancer extension. Thanks for your combat enhancer.

Dax Doomslayer
February 21st, 2021, 16:03
Does this cover saving throws made/failed?? That's not in the description.

Ludd_G
February 21st, 2021, 16:04
Unfortunately not yet, but my fingers are crossed! :D

Dax Doomslayer
February 21st, 2021, 16:33
Ahhh - OK. I thought I missed something somewhere in the translation. I agree, all this needs is the pass/fail for saving throws and I'll toss Matjam's. That said, some neat features on this that I really like. Especially the highlighting of which entity it is on the CT. That issue has continually vexed me whenever you have a large amount of opponents. Nice job @daddyogreman!!!

eriktedesco
February 21st, 2021, 16:40
5E enhancer was amazing but it touched so many things that it was nearly incompatible with most extensions.

Matjam's extension, although not as complete, was perfect...streamline and highly compatible. And that's why is suggested it as possible starting point.

Dax Doomslayer
February 21st, 2021, 16:52
5E enhancer was amazing but it touched so many things that it was nearly incompatible with most extensions.

Matjam's extension, although not as complete, was perfect...streamline and highly compatible. And that's why is suggested it as possible starting point.

I agree 100% with your statement. I stopped using the 5E enhancer as it prevented me from using a lot of other extensions which I found more important. Matjam's filled the gap essentially. I really like daddyogreman's extension. If it had the pass/fail for saving throws (and maybe the option to turn it off if need be though that is more of a wish and not a necessity), it'd be exactly what I'd need. The finding the matching CT entry when hovering over the token is something I needed for a long time. I love that!

SirMotte
February 21st, 2021, 18:50
This is looking good already! Toss in Save yes/no indicators and this is bound to be awesome! Thanks!

daddyogreman
February 21st, 2021, 21:20
Love that people are liking it!
A couple things:
Saving throws aren't a thing in CoreRPG that I'm aware of. It's on my list to make a minimal extension for saving throw overlays for 5E as well as PFRPG.
As far as the combat tracker highlight - overlays/underlays aren't a thing for the combat tracker that I'm aware of. I actually had to take the frame graphic for a combat tracker entry, open it up in GIMP and edit the colors. I could look at toning it down some or even just having a few different choices available via the options menu for coloring.

Lastly - now that people are using it I would love some feedback as to whether this should actually be split into two extensions - one for the combat highlighting and one for the wound overlays. I've already started on the work to split it and am thinking it might be the best approach. I'd leave this extension up as is but point to the two new ones here and deprecate this.

eriktedesco
February 21st, 2021, 21:28
Wow...that was fast!!!

Ok, I'll wait for the two new extensions...will the save/throw overlay be comprised in one of the two extension or in a new one?

daddyogreman
February 21st, 2021, 21:29
Reasoning for the two extensions:

Maybe people don't want some of the functionality. As opposed to filling up the menu options with a bunch of on/off toggles I'd rather make micro-extensions that do one thing and one thing only and people can just load up whichever ones they want. Thoughts?

daddyogreman
February 21st, 2021, 21:31
Wow...that was fast!!!

Ok, I'll wait for the two new extensions...will the save/throw overlay be comprised in one of the two extension or in a new one?

It'd be a new extension that does ONLY saving throw overlays ONLY for 5E (or Pathfinder) but would play well with the other two and any other extensions, in theory.

eriktedesco
February 21st, 2021, 21:34
It's a reasonable option.

Usually, breaking down a complex extension into smaller ones improves their compatibility with other extensions.

As I've said, I'd like to have Matjam Status Indicator capabilities + your overlay...I really like it!

Anyway...thank you very much for your work!

Rino
February 21st, 2021, 21:42
BUG: For the GM, the "Clear All Wound Overlays" on top of the battlemap covers the "Zoom to Fit". i.e. players who doesn't have the Clear All Wound Overlays can see the Zoom to fit, while the GM gets his Zoom to fit covered up. Can you fix this bug so Zoom to fit is not hidden?

charmov
February 21st, 2021, 22:06
Really cool. Thanks!

SirMotte
February 21st, 2021, 22:30
Smaller (split) extensions are always preferable in my opinion, though I don't know how much this increases workload and or maintenance effort.

Reasoning for the two extensions:

Maybe people don't want some of the functionality. As opposed to filling up the menu options with a bunch of on/off toggles I'd rather make micro-extensions that do one thing and one thing only and people can just load up whichever ones they want. Thoughts?

This is not really an issue in my opinion, the options are looked at, set and forgotten. (I don't know how extensions are handled in this regard, is their code still fully loaded or just the activated stuff?).

daddyogreman
February 21st, 2021, 22:33
Yeah so I just pulled the trigger. I split this up into two extensions. I'ma leave this as is, but all development will transition to the new micro extensions.

CoreRPG Combat Highlighter (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66336-CoreRPG-Combat-Highlighter&p=581044#post581044)

CoreRPG Wound Overlay (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66315-CoreRPG-Wound-Overlay)

daddyogreman
February 21st, 2021, 22:36
BUG: For the GM, the "Clear All Wound Overlays" on top of the battlemap covers the "Zoom to Fit". i.e. players who doesn't have the Clear All Wound Overlays can see the Zoom to fit, while the GM gets his Zoom to fit covered up. Can you fix this bug so Zoom to fit is not hidden?

I just split this into two extensions, but please see Bug Reporting (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/corerpg-wound-overlay/-/blob/main/BUG_REPORT.md) for the CoreRPG Wound Overlay (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/corerpg-wound-overlay) extension. It sounds like you're using FGC, which I'm not supporting with this extension.

daddyogreman
February 21st, 2021, 22:38
Smaller (split) extensions are always preferable in my opinion, though I don't know how much this increases workload and or maintenance effort.

This is not really an issue in my opinion, the options are looked at, set and forgotten. (I don't know how extensions are handled in this regard, is their code still fully loaded or just the activated stuff?).

Yeah, the code is still fully loaded and executed. Every extension I've seen thus far, setting options just results in if statements in the code as to whether the option is enabled.

Ludd_G
February 21st, 2021, 22:44
I think that entries in the options menu are always welcome, in my opinion. It allows adjustment, or even the ability to turn off functionality, if there are any issues, or you find your players do or don't like the change to gameplay, without having to relaunch the game. That's just my opinion though, obviously.

Thanks for all your work.

Cheers,

Simon

SirMotte
February 21st, 2021, 23:29
You're a champ!

daddyogreman
February 22nd, 2021, 01:42

My bad. I didn't think you'd ever see the Zoom To Fit button when there were tokens on the map. Apparently I was wrong in that. I filed an issue (https://gitlab.com/ccthiel/corerpg-wound-overlay/-/issues/1) and will move that over when I get a chance.

Three of Swords
February 22nd, 2021, 19:46
Thank you for this! I've really missed the 5e Combat Enhancer functionality. This brings some of it back.

daddyogreman
February 22nd, 2021, 20:04
Thank you for this! I've really missed the 5e Combat Enhancer functionality. This brings some of it back.

Sure! I did split this into two extensions and deprecated this version. There's already been some improvements on the Wound Overlays, so I'd recommend you delete this version and head over to these threads to get the current releases of each:

CoreRPG Combat Highlighter (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66336-CoreRPG-Combat-Highlighter&p=581044#post581044)

CoreRPG Wound Overlay (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66315-CoreRPG-Wound-Overlay)

zhivy
February 23rd, 2021, 19:28
daddyogreman thanks for this, my group had been using 5e enhancer until it broke recently, and this gets us back in the game. We do however have a very vertical game where being able to scroll a height number to our liking was pretty essential. Do you know of anything we could use to replace this feature? Anyway thanks for putting this together!

Ludd_G
February 23rd, 2021, 19:43
Does this do what you need? I don't use it but remembered seeing this tread earlier. Note that you need to use Bmos's tweak (as stated in the link's first post) to run with the new FGU update.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51005-Extension-Height-label

Cheers,

Simon

daddyogreman
February 23rd, 2021, 19:50
daddyogreman thanks for this, my group had been using 5e enhancer until it broke recently, and this gets us back in the game. We do however have a very vertical game where being able to scroll a height number to our liking was pretty essential. Do you know of anything we could use to replace this feature? Anyway thanks for putting this together!

It's on my list to make a minimal height indicator extension for CoreRPG, but I don't have one yet.
Also note I split this extension into two extensions and deprecated this version of it. A bit of work has been done on both of them since then that isn't reflected in this one.

If you want to stay up to date on the few bugs and whatnot I've fixed, I recommend deleting this version and switching over to those two.

SirMotte
February 23rd, 2021, 20:01

Not sure if this is ruleset specific, but in 5E, if you name a creature in the CT eg. Acolyth 22, then the number is shown next to the name of a token on the map. Use "always show names" in the options menu and this could be used as a height indicator for the time being.

Maybe this function could also be hijacked to make an height indicator extension?

MrDDT
February 24th, 2021, 00:39
It's on my list to make a minimal height indicator extension for CoreRPG, but I don't have one yet.
Also note I split this extension into two extensions and deprecated this version of it. A bit of work has been done on both of them since then that isn't reflected in this one.

If you want to stay up to date on the few bugs and whatnot I've fixed, I recommend deleting this version and switching over to those two.

Thank you so much for doing all this daddyogreman, can I make a suggestion that any more exts you add though keep adding tools but do them in diff exts? Because one of the major issues I'm having is that many people put in multi functions in an ext and if you don't like them all you end up not able to use the whole ext because some of it might conflict with something else you are using. FYI I'm using about 85 ext so this comes up likely more for me than most people.
But I do notice that small single focused ext work best for me and the people I've seen play FG. Something simple like a combat timber is great. As you know this kinda happened with 5E Enhancer. But once they made sub exts out of it, it allowed many people to use parts of it still even though other parts were broken. But before it was all or nothing.

SirMotte
February 24th, 2021, 00:55
Thank you so much for doing all this daddyogreman, can I make a suggestion that any more exts you add though keep adding tools but do them in diff exts? Because one of the major issues I'm having is that many people put in multi functions in an ext and if you don't like them all you end up not able to use the whole ext because some of it might conflict with something else you are using. FYI I'm using about 85 ext so this comes up likely more for me than most people.
But I do notice that small single focused ext work best for me and the people I've seen play FG. Something simple like a combat timber is great. As you know this kinda happened with 5E Enhancer. But once they made sub exts out of it, it allowed many people to use parts of it still even though other parts were broken. But before it was all or nothing.

That's the whole reason why he already split things up.

zhivy
February 25th, 2021, 06:51
Does this do what you need? I don't use it but remembered seeing this tread earlier. Note that you need to use Bmos's tweak (as stated in the link's first post) to run with the new FGU update.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51005-Extension-Height-label

Cheers,

Simon

Ill take a look, thanks!