PDA

View Full Version : FGU Sidebar "Text Based" buttons

KlatuB
February 21st, 2021, 01:34
With the latest update breaking any extension that modified the sidebar of a ruleset (5E in this case), do we still have the ability to modify the sidebar to put graphics on the buttons. I have a friend who has poor eyesight, and we have been using the "Core sidebar buttons for 5E" on a 4k monitor and he had no issue with finding the button he wanted.

New sidebar

Core sidebar buttons for 5E

LordEntrails
February 21st, 2021, 02:05
Yes, you can write an extension that uses graphics for the sidebar buttons. But it also might be easier to write an extension that increases the sidebar font size and adjusts the colors. I'm not aware of anyone who has done that yet though I do suspect they will be coming soon (tm).

KlatuB
February 21st, 2021, 02:25
Thanks for the quick response LordEntrails.

Do you know where the new listing for the sidebar is, I opened the 5E ruleset and it's not jumping out at met?

LordEntrails
February 21st, 2021, 02:49
Sorry, I don't. I haven't done any poking around in the xml/lua in over a year.

Moon Wizard
February 21st, 2021, 03:26
Here's a quick and dirty Large Sidebar Buttons extension.

Regards,
JPG

KlatuB
February 21st, 2021, 04:06
Moon Wizard,

Hopefully you will recognize the reference, Mr. Magoo :) thanks you. It work great.

MasterDemilich
April 30th, 2021, 23:28
Here's a quick and dirty Large Sidebar Buttons extension.

Regards,
JPG
This is better, but what is the syntax for me to add images/graphics to those buttons?

damned
May 1st, 2021, 00:04
This is better, but what is the syntax for me to add images/graphics to those buttons?

That isnt part of the scope of this extension. To do that will require a bunch more code.

MasterDemilich
May 1st, 2021, 00:11
That isnt part of the scope of this extension. To do that will require a bunch more code.
OK, so how do I approach that? Where are resources on how to do this or can you tell me? I'm asking how to extend this, not what its specific scope is (which I'm already aware of).

To be clear, I want to create an extension/theme to re-add the sidebar icons. I've worked from one :
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32740-Colored-5e-Sidebar

But that extension above only changes the Combat Tracker et al icons. It seems to have no effect on the actual Character etc text buttons. I wish to address this and simply need to know the exact syntax to target the individual sidebar buttons; specifically how to add images to them. Thanks.

damned
May 1st, 2021, 02:52
I am unaware of any examples. Someone would need to recode it and its not something I have time or interest in doing - sorry.

MasterDemilich
May 1st, 2021, 03:19
I am unaware of any examples. Someone would need to recode it and its not something I have time or interest in doing - sorry.

I wasn't asking you to. That's what I'm doing. Please don't answer if you don't know.

I defer again to @Moon Wizard who I asked originally.

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2021, 18:45
There’s nothing in the sidebar button code to do any decorations; nor any icons or data to support decorations. One of the reasons we moved to textual sidebars is to avoid having to define unique graphics and/or icons for every ruleset/theme multiplied by every record type across all game systems.

So, any extension to be built to support that would be brand new work.

Regards,
JPG

KlatuB
May 2nd, 2021, 06:15
Moon Wizard,

So if I'm understanding your comment
So, any extension to be built to support that would be brand new work. Does that mean FGU still has the capability to have custom icons on the sidebar? If that is the case where do we go research how to add the functionality back to FGU?

Griogre
May 2nd, 2021, 08:59
Capability, sure. The current set of sideboard buttons do not. Personally I would start with researching the small buttons at the top right that still have Icons. You are probably going to want to be ruleset specific since the number and type of buttons varies wildly from ruleset to ruleset.