PDA

View Full Version : Latest FGU patch made game unaccessible

GMSean
February 20th, 2021, 12:18
I use the future theme for a more core game I am running via FGU. Did the latest patch and my notes and story and other buttons are all missing. Game is later today and I can't play without these necessary buttons. How do I roll this back to a previous version so I can use it? What information do you need from me (and how do I find it...I am not savvy on this program at all)?

Thank you for your time and assistance

Kelrugem
February 20th, 2021, 12:20
I use the future theme for a more core game I am running via FGU. Did the latest patch and my notes and story and other buttons are all missing. Game is later today and I can't play without these necessary buttons. How do I roll this back to a previous version so I can use it? What information do you need from me (and how do I find it...I am not savvy on this program at all)?

Thank you for your time and assistance

See the patch notes: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66105-FG-Ruleset-Updates-2020-02

The sidebar stuff for activating buttons to list them on the right side is now in the options :) see also here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1242857473/The+Sidebar+Changing+Play+Modes

GMSean
February 20th, 2021, 12:31
See the patch notes: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66105-FG-Ruleset-Updates-2020-02

The sidebar stuff for activating buttons to list them on the right side is now in the options :) see also here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/1242857473/The+Sidebar+Changing+Play+Modes

Nope...trying to load the sidebar buttons via the options menu brings up an error that they aren't found. No Notes, Story, any buttons available. This is when in Future Theme or regular mode. I am using More Core, if that matters...program is absolutely useless to me at the moment and all that work is currently lost behind this absolutely unnecessary change to the UI. How do I revert it back immediately so I can play?

Kelrugem
February 20th, 2021, 12:33
Nope...trying to load the sidebar buttons via the options menu brings up an error that they aren't found. No Notes, Story, any buttons available. This is when in Future Theme or regular mode. I am using More Core, if that matters...program is absolutely useless to me at the moment and all that work is currently lost behind this absolutely unnecessary change to the UI. How do I revert it back immediately so I can play?

You cannot revert it back; do you have any extensions loaded? Unload all, including the themes :) If the problem persists, then you probably need to report it in the MoreCore thread or so :)

Kelrugem
February 20th, 2021, 12:36
Oh, and make sure that you download the new version for MoreCore, the last patch was big and Damned needed to update it, I think :)

Kelrugem
February 20th, 2021, 12:45
Here you can get the new version of MoreCore: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset :) (Don't forget that this is a community ruleset, so, you need to redownload it manually in case of an update :) )

damned
February 20th, 2021, 15:08
... this absolutely unnecessary change to the UI.

On what basis do you say the UI change is completely unnecessary?

GMSean
February 20th, 2021, 16:02

Because the buttons to the side worked just fine before. I get that the UI change (having read a bit more about it) is cleaning things up on the tabletop, but that isn't necessary. That's a user option, and likely loved by some, but we aren't talking about putting the Search button BACK in (that would be an example of a necessary UI change, in my mind), we are talking about making the outer frame a bit clearer...hence why I said "unnecessary". Probably awesome, likely wanted, but definitely not necessary (at least as my, very limited, consumer mindset sees it...there may be a code issue or something that is far beyond my understanding).

While we are talking about this, however, I think it's important, as a FGU consumer and supporter, to note that I didn't know about the button change (that's not a requirement to any change, I know this). It wasn't really broadcast in a way that alerted me that my interaction with this program was about to change and not in a forward presented "Hey! User! We're gonna change things!" approach...again, at least not that I saw. I got zero account communication that this was going to occur (and again, I do recognize that neither my awareness nor approval are wanted or required for such things, merely talking about my perspective of unfolding events, which could be grossly singular).

So, I load in, and none of the interface is as it was before. This causes me to presume that the program (which has had version conflicts and lost campaign data before) has developed a new problem. It didn't turn out this way, but FGU's own history clouds that immediate conclusion, if that makes sense.

Also, for total clarity: It didn't actually develop any new problems, it was the end user (me) and having the wrong version (as you, Kelrugem and Damned, pointed out, thank you!), but that doesn't have anything to do with lack of customer-direct communication.

Zacchaeus
February 20th, 2021, 16:15
The changes were announced on the forums six weeks ago.

GMSean
February 20th, 2021, 16:23
The changes were announced on the forums six weeks ago.

Great! Are we presuming that FGU's consumers peruse the forums on a regular basis? Is that how they are going to communicate with their customer?

That may be their method, but its obviously not communicating to all of their customers (it didn't reach me...I may be totally alone, but I kind of doubt it). They have emails...they hit me with sales information on a weekly basis...certainly they could communicate UI changes (that's pretty important!) as easily and thoroughly, as well.

Zacchaeus
February 20th, 2021, 16:30
Not everyone subscribes to the email list; not everyone browses the forums (and even if they do they might not have noted the post about the changes anyway). There's no real way to communicate with everyone through any combination of methods. Every bit of software I own gets updated now and again without any communication from the publisher that it's going to happen. So it's just a question of reading the patch notes to find out what has been updated.

Kelrugem
February 20th, 2021, 16:31
Great! Are we presuming that FGU's consumers peruse the forums on a regular basis? Is that how they are going to communicate with their customer?

That may be their method, but its obviously not communicating to all of their customers (it didn't reach me...I may be totally alone, but I kind of doubt it). They have emails...they hit me with sales information on a weekly basis...certainly they could communicate UI changes (that's pretty important!) as easily and thoroughly, as well.

I honestly also think that the communication about patches, especially such ones, could be improved, like using pop-up windows as it already happens when the network code changes :) I have added a wish to the wish list here: https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135716, in case you want to vote for that :)

GMSean
February 20th, 2021, 16:34
I honestly also think that the communication about patches, especially such ones, could be improved, like using pop-up windows as it already happens when the network code changes :) I have added a wish to the wish list here: https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135716, in case you want to vote for that :)

Oh heck yeah! That would be great!

To be REALLY clear...I LOVE FG...have for years. I just wanna make sure no one else gets hit with the "lost campaign" panics like I did. Wasn't fun. I'll definitely vote for that!

Kelrugem
February 20th, 2021, 17:20
I'll definitely vote for that!

Cool, thanks :D

bmos
February 20th, 2021, 17:37
I honestly also think that the communication about patches, especially such ones, could be improved, like using pop-up windows as it already happens when the network code changes :) I have added a wish to the wish list here: https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=135716, in case you want to vote for that :)Awesome idea!! Pop-up change logs are much more noticeable than the "release notes" button in the launcher (which also does not include information about ruleset updates).
I think a simpler short-term fix would be changing the term "release notes" to "update notes" or something on the launcher.
While I know that "release notes" means, I know a lot of people who do not.

Are we presuming that FGU's consumers peruse the forums on a regular basis?They definitely don't, but more should! You can learn a lot here and, as of FGU, everyone already has an account.

LordEntrails
February 20th, 2021, 23:18
Good call Kel. I agree that communication of major changes like this need to be pushed to every user. And a popup following an update (maybe even using the new MOTD function?) would be good.

Many folks would still not know why/what, but some more effective means than an optional patch notes list or announcements on the forums should be used.

damned
February 20th, 2021, 23:30

Because the buttons to the side worked just fine before. I get that the UI change (having read a bit more about it) is cleaning things up on the tabletop, but that isn't necessary. That's a user option, and likely loved by some, but we aren't talking about putting the Search button BACK in (that would be an example of a necessary UI change, in my mind), we are talking about making the outer frame a bit clearer...hence why I said "unnecessary". Probably awesome, likely wanted, but definitely not necessary (at least as my, very limited, consumer mindset sees it...there may be a code issue or something that is far beyond my understanding).

While we are talking about this, however, I think it's important, as a FGU consumer and supporter, to note that I didn't know about the button change (that's not a requirement to any change, I know this). It wasn't really broadcast in a way that alerted me that my interaction with this program was about to change and not in a forward presented "Hey! User! We're gonna change things!" approach...again, at least not that I saw. I got zero account communication that this was going to occur (and again, I do recognize that neither my awareness nor approval are wanted or required for such things, merely talking about my perspective of unfolding events, which could be grossly singular).

These are two completely different issues.
The UI change is necessary for a number of reasons. The fact it has caused issues and heart palpitations doesnt mean the change is unnecessary. The standard/icon menu approach fails on lots of levels in lots of different environments.
I too would like to see the client being able to notify you what changes are coming but I suspect most people still wouldnt read them no matter how they were delivered.

madman
February 21st, 2021, 00:54
Don't update until you know what the effects are going to be. I spend way too much time pushing back windows updates (Example). Just because the button turned red does not mean you have to push it. Steam does not even give me the option. (Example)

I agree that a second window should pop up for those who just push the button. ARE YOU SURE? This is a list of the changes (With warnings). Then they have to agree to them, to update.

Madman..