PDA

View Full Version : More Ruleset help

drkknight32
June 23rd, 2007, 09:13
Ok! So...I got some help with the background since I was having issues with it...and although it doesen't look 100% right. I'm pretty confident that it shouldn't be that hard to remedy though. Anywho...I've currently adjusted the ruleset so that the game is more functional, but I'm worried about two things.

The first is...File transfer! Obviously the ruleset isn't 100% done. I want to try and add in the list of opponents from the book, and change the rest of the graphics. THe only real issue is that we're going to be playing soon and it won't be 100% done. Will the program automatically update the players if I change the ruleset between games? Or will we have to use this as an interim ruleset while I finish off the ruleset under a different set of files?

The second thing is...modules. Is that what I want to be playing with? I'm trying to make the list of opponents for the game. Do I want to create a list of personalities and then export them as a module? Or do I want to mess with some other section of the program?

Sorry about all the questions recently, I'm new to this. Thanks everyone for all ur helP! :-)

(Especially to the guys who made the D20 modern set. Hope you don't mind me using a few of your graphics for my ruleset)

Griogre
June 23rd, 2007, 10:41
Typically you do not want to send your players a list of opponent's information so this is probably a good canidate for something like the d20 Monsters in the default d20 ruleset.

You probably either want to make this a host only module if the opponents are like a monster book and will be use in multiple games. Host modules have to be made by hand and would show up in the library rather than the personality book. If the opponents are for a specific scenario then you might want to make them personalities in an adventure module which you would make with the /export command.

Finally, if you have game rule information that you want all your players to have then you want to probably make either a common or client module which you will need to make by hand. The common module has the advantage that it is always transfered so if you change it the players will get the latest everytime they connect. Once you have your rules stable and complete you might want to send each player a client module for their local computers to eliminate the transfer from host to player and to allow them to use the ruleset for local characters.

drkknight32
June 23rd, 2007, 18:39
Awesome! Thanks, I wasn't sure exactly which feature to use in order to get the job done.

For times sake I think I'll use the program here in order to mess with the opponents list: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6336

Much better than doing it manually.

I don't quite understand the client module thing though. There's about 7 of us...two having the full version of the program. I zipped up the ruleset and sent it to my friend with the other full version to help eliminate transfers...but what do we do about the lite licenses exactly? They don't appear to have a rulesets folder.?

Kalan
June 23rd, 2007, 22:03
The thing to think of here is to picture the "pieces" of FGII info like this:

Rulesets - this is the "table" you play the game on.

Modules - the books you bring to the table.

There are then three different types of modules:

client.xml - Think of this as the "books" the different players bring to the table. The GM then has the ability to allow/disallow the books.

common.xml - Picture this as the GM who supplies all the books at the game. He shares them with the various players, however the players do not have access to the books without being at the table (ie. offline).

db.xml - the "GM's eyes only" stuff.

In order for your players to be able to create characters "offline", or when not connected to the game server, they will have to have a copy of the ruleset. This is basically done (for non "out of the box" d20 sets), by having the players with a light licence create a ruleset (case is important) folder that resides in their application data folders. They then need a copy of the ruleset in its own folder within that folder (same as people with a full licence).

For the most part, in order to avoid copyright issues, it is generally best to use common.xml modules for data you want to share with your players (like various rules and what not). This way they can only access it while logged into your server.

Hope that makes some sense :)

V

drkknight32
June 26th, 2007, 04:34
Thanks! That explanation really helped out! I've begun editing the modules like you said and it seems to be working out well. I am having one problems still though...

I can get the module to appear in the ruleset where it should be....but I can't actually get it to appear in the library. Since I can't exactly post the strings up on the webpage...is there a common mistake that's usually made when editing the xml?

Kalan
June 26th, 2007, 05:42
In order for information to show up in the library, you have to make use of the library tags. Kind of like setting up an Index in a book (a table of Contents isn't quite the right analogy, as the Library autosorts alphabetically).

The best way to do this, is get a program called 7zip, this will allow you to open .mod files without having to rename them to .zip Take a look at some of the basic d20 modules, and you'll get a good idea on how to structure your file.

If you want more info, give me a holla after about 1600 Copenhagen time (GMT+1) on either MSN or here on the boards :)

bonzai95
June 26th, 2007, 14:34
Just as an FYI, the version of WinZip I use allows you to open .mod files without renaming them.

Aslo, Kalen makes a really good point about how it sorts

...the Library autosorts alphabetically

I'm really new at this, but so far, the only way I've found to control the order of your entries is by the tag name so mine are like this:

<entry001></entry001>
<entry002></entry002>

You need to use the 0's in there if you have more than 9 items (10 if you start with 0) because alphabetically it sorts like this:

1, 10, 11, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ,8, 9

When using the 0's in front of the single digits it sorts as you would expect it to.

01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10

bonzai

drkknight32
June 26th, 2007, 16:34
This is an example of what I have right now. I'm using the library tags so I don't think that I'm doing anything wrong, but I'm probably missing something. (I took out all of the non D20srd stuff)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.0">
<library>
<information static="true">
<name type="string">information</name>
<categoryname type="string">information</categoryname>
<entries>
<Species>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>referenceinlineindex</class> <recordname>..</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Species</name>
<index>
<humans>
<name type="string">Humans</name>
<text type="formattedtext">
<list>
<li>Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.</li>
<li>Human base land speed is 30 ft.</li>
<li>1 extra feat at 1st level.</li>
<li>4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.</li>
<li>Speaks Common</li>
</list>
</text>
</humans>
</index>
</species>
</entries>
</information>
</library>
</root>

My next step was to zip the files up and rename it to .mod (read it in another part of the forums, not sure if that's the right way to do it)

Kalan
June 26th, 2007, 17:03
looks ok, other than the S in Species - either use s, or change the </species> to <Species>. Something "bugs" me about it right off the top of my head, but can't finger it...

Just be sure to include the definition.xml file so FG knows what to call it :)

bonzai95
June 26th, 2007, 20:45
I believe it is case sensitive so the species does need to be the same.

drkknight32
June 26th, 2007, 22:49
Yup! That got it! Thanks again guys! :rv: :D :)