PDA

View Full Version : 18 Feb 2021 messed up my installation.

SlinkyTWF
February 18th, 2021, 11:56
The 18 Feb 2021 update messed up my FGU installation. (Steam Version, Ultimate, Both FGU and FGC Owned; only FGU was installed at the time).

I ran the updater, and applied the updater update.
It closed.
Some time passed.
I launched the updater again.
Nothing happened.
I rebooted.
I tried to launch FGU again from the Steam Library page.
The installer (not the updater) for FGC ran.
I uninstalled FGU (FGC was not installed at the time).
I rebooted again.
I ran FGU.
The installer for FGU ran, but the data folder installer routine for FGC ran immediately afterward.
I tried to run FGU again.
The FGC installer ran again.
It's bugged. I'm probably going to have to do a low-level registry purge and wipe all of FGU off my system to get it fixed, assuming it's not either a Steam issue or a bug in the new update.

Unrelated (?) issue: on 2 Jan, I bought the 5E Essentials bundle for FGU. My DLC settings say that the Tasha's Cauldron DLC is associated with FGU and that all of the other 5E modules are associated with FGC.

[update] Found the following file, didn't see a way to just upload it. (FGUpdaterEngine_Prev.txt)
--------------------------------------

(SNIP: Too much data for the form to process)

Checking package version.
Validating file integrity.
File integrity verified.
FantasyGrounds is up to date
Validating packages...
29 products checked
29 products up to date
FullUpdate: 3.3405664
OnApplicationQuit()
e: OnApplicationQuit - Could not find shell D:\Games\Fantasy Grounds Unity\FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe To self-update!
PrefManager.Load()
Awake()
ARGS: 2
COMMAND: '-c'
Start()
DirectoryInfo: D:\Games\Fantasy Grounds Unity
DefaultAppPath: D:\Games\Fantasy Grounds Unity
Find update folder: D:\Games\Fantasy Grounds Unity\FantasyGroundsUpdater_NEW
File.Exists() = False

Jiminimonka
February 18th, 2021, 12:08
The 18 Feb 2021 update messed up my FGU installation. (Steam Version, Ultimate, Both FGU and FGC Owned; only FGU was installed at the time).

I ran the updater, and applied the updater update.
It closed.
Some time passed.
I launched the updater again.
Nothing happened.
I rebooted.
I tried to launch FGU again from the Steam Library page.
The installer (not the updater) for FGC ran.
I uninstalled FGU (FGC was not installed at the time).
I rebooted again.
I ran FGU.
The installer for FGU ran, but the data folder installer routine for FGC ran immediately afterward.
I tried to run FGU again.
The FGC installer ran again.
It's bugged. I'm probably going to have to do a low-level registry purge and wipe all of FGU off my system to get it fixed, assuming it's not either a Steam issue or a bug in the new update.

Unrelated (?) issue: on 2 Jan, I bought the 5E Essentials bundle for FGU. My DLC settings say that the Tasha's Cauldron DLC is associated with FGU and that all of the other 5E modules are associated with FGC.

FGC and FGU use different Data folder, so (I could be wrong, your post is a bit of a mess to understand) make sure you have different folders for FGC Data and FGU Data - also - you can just go to https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php and download the client from there, no need to use Steam (the stuff you bought on Steam will link to your account if set it up in Settings on the launcher).

Also, check any extension you have are up to date.

Trenloe
February 18th, 2021, 12:10
Sounds like your settings have the exact same directories for FGC and FGU.

Did you change the default installation directories?
What files do you have at C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds and C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds ?

SlinkyTWF
February 18th, 2021, 15:24
Sounds like your settings have the exact same directories for FGC and FGU.

Did you change the default installation directories?
What files do you have at C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds and C:\Program Files\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds ?

At the time I first ran the updater, they didn't. Somehow, the updater seems to have gotten confused after it updated itself. When it tried to relaunch, it hung. I have no explanation, except that even after uninstalling and cleaning up the folders (i.e., deleting them), the FGC installer keeps running when I run the FGU launcher.

SlinkyTWF
February 18th, 2021, 15:48
I finally got it to reinstall and run (correctly is TBD, but it seems normal so far) after three reinstallation cycles. On the last try, I bypassed the Steam launch UI (which kept trying to install FGC over FGU), opened the [Steam/.../Fantasy Grounds/] folder directly, and launch the updater from there. That may have rewritten a damaged .ini or .cfg or something that started pointing to the wrong place when the first updater run failed during the process, creating the issue.

But it all started after I ran the updater the first time today.

Trenloe
February 18th, 2021, 15:50
This sounds like Steam getting mixed up. Don't launch from Steam - download the main installer from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/FantasyGroundsUnity.php and use this to install FGU using that. Then run FGU from the shortcut created as part of that installation.

EDIT: looks like you've done that and are now working. :)