PDA

View Full Version : [Extension] Character Advances Tab

Mike Serfass
February 18th, 2021, 04:05
Hi fellow savages!

I wanted a way to track the advances my characters take. The players in my group also wanted something like this.

The main tab holds only the highest rank edges (e.g. Frenzy is replaced by Improved Frenzy). Edges are nicely sorted, as are skills, and it's great during game play to know what your character has. But it doesn't indicate what was taken when.

There is a large notes area, which I put to use, but it seems a bit messy to use for tracking advancement among backstory, contacts, quest notes, etc.

There is, as yet, no real auditing of character advancement. Understandable, since this gets tricky when you account for setting rules. This extension, I hope, makes up for that to some degree.

This extension for FGU adds a new tab to player character sheets entitled "Advances". The top section has expanding lines wherein you can type your starting abilities. A list under that is where you enter each advance.

Currently, you have to delete rows using the right click menu. You can also add new rows that way. The add button auto-increments the advance and fills in the appropriate rank. If you add with the right click menu, it doesn't do that.

I hope you find this as useful as I and my players do.

Note: I don't own FG Classic, so I don't know if it will work in FGC.

Version 1.4, released 2021-02-17

Version 1.5, release 2021-02-18
Changed the font to Fondamento which more closely matches the Core RPG mystery font. Also resized the text.

Version 1.6, released 2021-02-20
Added sorting by advance # to the advances list.

Mike Serfass
February 18th, 2021, 04:06
Here is a list of enhancements which I'm working on:

- Add delete button(s) to list items.

- Right-click to add should behave the same as the list add button

- Set focus to taken textbox when adding a new advance

- Hook into the GM's advance button so when the GM advances the party, an advancement line it automatically added to each character sheet. I'm not sure how possible or easy this is.

- Set rank when the advancement number changes. It does this automatically when using the add button, but it would be nice to do this when changing the advance number as well.

- Determine if the tab text image can be switched to match the loaded theme.

Montrovent
February 18th, 2021, 04:32
Really nice and simple solution for tracking advances. Thanks!

Valyar
February 18th, 2021, 09:46
This is very very nice! The font looks weird on the stock SWADE skin though.

Skellan
February 18th, 2021, 11:50
This is awsome. We usually just use the notes section and it gets a bit messy.

I'd love to see this as part of the core ruleset :)

IceBear
February 18th, 2021, 12:49
Yeah, I was using the old Background and Advances extension, but found that the background section ended up with the lines going through the text instead of being underneath it so this is better as most players use the Notes for their background so I just wanted it for tracking advances. The only issue I have is that the font in the Advances Tab doesn't match the rest of them (I'm currently in Flash Gordon so I'm sure all the modules have different fonts so I suspect it's just something I need to live with...doubt it can be programmed to match the font for whatever module is loaded)

mac40k
February 18th, 2021, 13:46
I’ve been using the Background and Advances extension too, but I’m setting up a new campaign and will have to check this one out.

Mike Serfass
February 18th, 2021, 17:43
This is very very nice! The font looks weird on the stock SWADE skin though.

The tab text is actually an image, not text. I'd have to make a different image for every theme and match the theme's font as close as possible. Which means I'd have to own the theme or get a screenshot good enough to work from.
However, I think the theme itself must have an image for this tab. I don't know if there's a way to set the image from my extension based on theme. I'll research that. It would be nice if it could do that.

In the interim, or in case it's not possible, I can change it to a thinner font and/or abbreviate it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Valyar
February 18th, 2021, 18:09
I know it is image, I thought the extension is providing one with fonts matching the core theme. But it is easy to replace the text, I just need to find the right font for it.

Mike Serfass
February 18th, 2021, 18:32
I know it is image, I thought the extension is providing one with fonts matching the core theme. But it is easy to replace the text, I just need to find the right font for it.

If you know which font that is, and where I can find it, I'll change it to match the core theme. It's probably better if it matches the core theme's font. I tried various fonts, and that was the closest I had and still looked good at that size. Hopefully someone recognizes the font and it's one I can download.
I'll look through my (limited) font list again. I can check google fonts too, maybe it's there.

Mike Serfass
February 18th, 2021, 22:52
It seems the font used to create the character tab text is unknown and lost.

I have hope that the character tabs will be changed from images to text which uses the theme's font, like the right side button bar now does. Until then, I made the closest match I can to the core RPG rules font.
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Fondamento?preview.size=33&sort=popularity&category=Serif,Sans+Serif,Display,Handwriting&preview.text_type=custom&preview.text=Main&sidebar.open=true&selection.family=Lato&query=Fondamento

If someone can find a closer match, please share a link and I'll change it.

I updated the extension in the first post.

Skellan
April 13th, 2021, 13:43
I love this extension. Would it be possible to make the windows drag-drop so you could drop edges in?

Mike Serfass
April 14th, 2021, 04:43
Thank you!
That's possible. I'll learn how to do that and implement it.

Skellan
April 25th, 2021, 13:03
I have added this as a feature request to the idea informer, so people can vote if they would like a feature like this as standard.
http://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/fgapp?ia=136215