PDA

View Full Version : Variant Tokens?

TriShade
February 17th, 2021, 23:48
Hello,

Is there any way to have variant tokens for one type of NPC? What I'm thinking is a small set of tokens for one npc and it would randomly select one when I drag the npc to the combat tracker or the map. Or maybe through the encounter generator? Is this possible without making copies with different tokens? If it matters I'm using D&D 3.5 but it seems more of a general thing. Sorry if this is obvious, I'm new to the software :p

Zacchaeus
February 18th, 2021, 00:13
The only way to have the same NPC but with different tokens is to drag the first NPC into an encounter and then drag a token into the token spot on the left of the line. Then drag another NPC into the encounter and do the same and so on.

And welcome to FG.

Three of Swords
February 19th, 2021, 00:15
This is one of the few areas Roll20 is superior to FG. You could create 'rollable' tokens. These were tokens with as many different looks as you wanted. When you placed them on the map, you could randomly or manually select an appearance.

This is so incredibly useful for random town NPCs, shape-shifters, multiple mob appearances (goblins with bows, slings, armor, shields, etc), bosses that have multiple 'phases', things like that. (I had more uses, but I'm drawing a blank right now)

Yes, I know we can 'request the feature'. But right now, SW's plate is full. I see no need to add to it.