PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds 2021-02-16 update No more Theme!

Montrovent
February 17th, 2021, 06:43
Where are the images in the left menu for theme like Hell on Earth and Ripper Resurrected? What about those of Savage Worlds Swade rules.. Now we only see words.
A new design?

Doswelk
February 17th, 2021, 06:55
From Discord:

Moon Wizard: All the rulesets have been switched to textual buttons for the sidebars. The overhead of graphical icons created a lot of complexity for adding new record types, theming and new ruleset creation.

:cry: I spent hours making all those side buttons :cry:

Springroll
February 17th, 2021, 07:20
From Discord:

Moon Wizard: All the rulesets have been switched to textual buttons for the sidebars. The overhead of graphical icons created a lot of complexity for adding new record types, theming and new ruleset creation.

I understand why they decided to go for only text boxes but I really loved the graphical side buttons, I wish there where a toggle so that you could choose

Lynnx333
February 17th, 2021, 07:40
Sadly it takes away some of the style of the rulesets. Now every button looks the same. Even the skin of Beast&Barbarians that already had text buttons now shows the same buttons like the Savage Worlds default skin. And they do stand out because its another design. The pictures on those buttons where a great thing to make the buttons different and to give the Settings a bit more "life". I am sad that they are gone. Why take something away that added flavor to the games?

icecrmman
February 17th, 2021, 08:23
I agree I'd also like for Fantasy Grounds to quit asking me if I want to try the new menu system. I tried it, didn't like it, quit asking.

FrodoB
February 17th, 2021, 09:46
Sadly it takes away some of the style of the rulesets. Now every button looks the same. Even the skin of Beast&Barbarians that already had text buttons now shows the same buttons like the Savage Worlds default skin. And they do stand out because its another design. The pictures on those buttons where a great thing to make the buttons different and to give the Settings a bit more "life". I am sad that they are gone. Why take something away that added flavor to the games?

I checked out a few of the other themes and it is possible to put a theme to the buttons. Not saying all old things will get updated (I think a few devs aren't around anymore?), but it is possible to change the look.

Though I'd prefer a toggle as well.

Galdor
February 17th, 2021, 12:22
I complain this graphical step back (I opened another thread to mourn the loss of the images on the sidebar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66140-SWADE-(FGU)-sidebar-without-images-(after-last-update) )
Additionally, I note you that in other rulesets the 'Decal desktop image' option is still there, even after this update

Mgrancey
February 17th, 2021, 14:01
You should be able to customize the text used for the side buttons. Its not very hard, can probably figure out and write up an example and how to guide.

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2021, 18:36
Regarding the sidebar button changes,
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?66105-FG-Ruleset-Updates-2020-02&p=578957&viewfull=1#post578957

@icecrmman,
That's not part of the built-in system. Did you enable some sort of extension to change menus?

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
February 17th, 2021, 18:42
That's not part of the built-in system. Did you enable some sort of extension to change menus?
It's the D&D 2E alternative text/drop-down menu system.

Lynnx333
February 17th, 2021, 19:38
I can understand why the change was made, and I guess we will get used to this, but it took something away from the different settings.
Savage World is looking a bit bland and booring now on the right side of the screen. Everything there is one washed out tone. I hope that we will be able to replace the backdrops of the buttons with our own graphics and it would also be cool if we could change the colors of the fonts and or even the styles by ourselves. Is there something like a designguide, where we could read what sizes, dimensions and fontsizes are used in the different places of the UI? I have searched in the forums but haven't found one. That would be really helpfull. :)

Trenloe
February 17th, 2021, 19:49
If there is a theme that is just going to be used for Savage Worlds, then that can be programmed to use the graphical buttons. But keep in mind that, just like before, if something else adds a new record type then that will need a new graphic as well - new extensions probably won't include that - so you could see down the road issues with this approach.

icecrmman
February 17th, 2021, 23:02
It must be 2e then because I don't have any menu extensions

icecrmman
February 17th, 2021, 23:05
It's the D&D 2E alternative text/drop-down menu system.

how do you turn it off

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2021, 23:09
You can turn on/off extensions on the launch screen for each campaign.

Regards,
JPG

icecrmman
February 17th, 2021, 23:14
You can turn on/off extensions on the launch screen for each campaign.

Regards,
JPG

Its not an extension

Moon Wizard
February 17th, 2021, 23:17
There's nothing in either the default CoreRPG or Savage Worlds rulesets that asks you to change your menu. However, I know of at least one extension (BetterMenus) that does.

If you still think that's not the issue; then please load your campaign, type /console in the chat box, click the Compile Logs button, and post here.

Regards,
JPG

superteddy57
February 17th, 2021, 23:22
how do you turn it off

Have you tried this button to turn off the pop up from opening at loading?

icecrmman
February 17th, 2021, 23:35
thank you

TheDarkMantle
February 18th, 2021, 02:50
Do we know if the Titan Effect setting is going to do buttons that are at least the right colour? The default Savage Worlds buttons look out of place against that blue theme.

Doswelk
February 18th, 2021, 09:10
Do we know if the Titan Effect setting is going to do buttons that are at least the right colour? The default Savage Worlds buttons look out of place against that blue theme.

In an effort to make less work for me by removing side bar graphics I now have to create 14 new side bars for all the settings I have done over the years, the irony of that is not lost on me, so yes but give me a chance to get there!

TheDarkMantle
February 18th, 2021, 13:29
I thought that a lot of the settings were done by the creators, not you guys. Take your time man, not trying to put pressure on there, I didn't realize it was all one guy!

You guys all do awesome work, keep it up!

IceBear
February 18th, 2021, 13:43
Yeah, I think Doswelk does the bulk of them. I know Ikael did Crystal Hearts and the latest Deadlands. I feel like Tayln did Beasts and Barbarians; I'm sure there are others

YggBjorn
February 18th, 2021, 21:25
GunBunnyFuFU did RIFTS. Mgrancey did Dawn of the Daikaiju. I think there are others still.

IceBear
February 18th, 2021, 23:46
Oh I know there are others. Heard a rumor that Gunbunny has moved on to Foundry

Doswelk
February 19th, 2021, 14:42
Maybe

Galdor
February 19th, 2021, 16:00
Excuse me, there is no more also the possibility to choose which button to show up in the sidebar!
[edit: found, it's in the options menu]

TheDarkMantle
February 20th, 2021, 02:43
Looking good Doswelk!

I tried.

YggBjorn
February 20th, 2021, 23:09
Looking good Doswelk!

I tried.

I got you covered!

Jiminimonka
February 22nd, 2021, 13:42
From Discord:

When you have time, I think there is a way to add those buttons back in the ruleset theme. Moon Wizard said as much.

IceBear
February 22nd, 2021, 15:30
The thing is, adding them back is an exception to what is considered normal so it'll be prone to breaking again in the future. So it becomes a choice between being compatible or making more work for yourself in the future (it might even stop working completely if they further change things)

Doswelk
February 23rd, 2021, 08:59
When you have time, I think there is a way to add those buttons back in the ruleset theme. Moon Wizard said as much.
I am not adding them back :(

They are no-longer "official"...